So, I as a seller lost 60+ bucks on the Amazon marketplace...

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
..because some people said that they didn't receive their items, and Amazon takes the money away from you to give them, even if you have a DC# number. I called seller support after the first transaction where I lost 26 bucks to bitch. It was basically the equivalent of tipping over the magazine display and using a glitter gun, or whatever it is that you guys do. Anyway, they suggest signature confirmation.

Haha.

Which if I recall correctly, cost 1.75. And even according to their help page, signature confirmation isn't 100% proof that they won't decide to take your money to give to the buyer anyway. So, I'm done with Amazon. Two transactions less than thirty days apart where Amazon has ripped me off (or perhaps the USPS people have screwed me over, but I doubt that) It's frustrating these people both received their items within five days of ordering, but I'm getting fucked over anyway. So, I'm moving strictly to Ebay. As much as I love Amazon, their seriously out of their minds for not accepting delivery confirmation. I know it's not real tracking, but it's pretty damn close considering that it tracks it up to the point of arriving to the city of destination.

So, instead of making this a pointless bitch post, are you good on Ebay and other selling sites if you use delivery confirmation or is Paypal going to tell me "Shoulda used Signature Confirmation, shipped it registered, tied a bow on it, and included a free Blow Job coupon inside the package"?

Amazon: Get DC
Me: I did
Amazon: Must have been delivered to wrong address. Should have gotten SC
Me: I did that too
Amazon: Someone must have forged the signature. We will be taking your money now.

[quote name='Porksta']Amazon: Get DC
Me: I did
Amazon: Must have been delivered to wrong address. Should have gotten SC
Me: I did that too
Amazon: Someone must have forged the signature. We will be taking your money now.[/QUOTE]

Wow and I thought Ebay was ridiculous with their pro-buyer policies. Then again I've never had anyone claim they didn't receive their item, so they may be just as bad.

Wow, that totally sucks ass. I guess I've dodged the bullet thus far, although the amazon rates have just been BRUTAL.

I did have this one cunt bitch about a Pokemon Silver not have a working save battery, I told her to ship it back to me via USPS with delivery confirmation, forgot all about it and a month and a half later she is emailing me asking where her refund is.

I told her I never received the package, where is her delivery confirmation # if she actually sent it back. She tells me she stuck it back in the original package, marked it return to sender and stuck it in a mailbox, and goes off crying to amazon.

I told her to go pound sand, since no return = no money. Sadly, I had to eat that one, but it was one of the many Gamestop 85% off copies that I picked up for literally $.75, so with shipping and DC and amazon's fees it was a $5 loss or so total.

I still have her name and address, and she's close enough that next time I'm heading up the coast to Santa Barbara, I might just pay her a visit. And pull out every single one of her fingernails. Kidding, really. I kid. maybe.

Other than that, I've had a couple returned games, out of selling maybe a couple hundred games so far.

I won't do business on any general marketplace sites anymore as a seller, be it Amazon or eBay. I stick to local, or places like CAG, and even here I'm getting paranoid of dealing with people I haven't traded/sold/bought from before.

Yeah. I've had one solid year on Amazon where I didn't lose a dime. I guess I shipped to honest people.

So, wait. I want to know something. If a buyer returns something and they don't pay for signature confirmation, can the seller be like DIDN'T GET IT! Then if there WAS signature confirmation, could you say, "I DIDN'T SIGN FOR IT!"

I mean. Honestly. I'm wondering if they give you the same benefits of doubt or if they just choose to fuck you over anyway. I'm so sick of selling on Amazon. People are complete tards about leaving negatives-- got a negative over a game being "too old" and not being warned as such. Got nonsenical negative where it was a series of letters with no email from the buyer explaining their issue. Then the feedback system is even less forceful on the buyer then it is on the 'Bay. Most people choose not to find the area where to leave feedback, so you only get negatives or the 2/10 people who decide to be courteous and rate your good service.

I think Goozex has the perfect feedback system. 15 days to do it and if you don't, auto-close to positive. Now that's sweet. Maybe not practical because of all the whiners who would want a chance to leave a negative feedback three months later when they accidentally flush their Pokemon Silver down the toilet, but Goozex is the only spot where I'm truly happy regarding feedback.

EDIT: And where the hell does Amazon get off by telling me to use signature confirmation to ship a 20 dollar game when they don't do it for themselves? I should order a 60 dollar game off their site and make things right. No, no, I won't, two wrongs don't make a right.

Basically the scammers can take your money on Amazon or ebay. I just hope for the best and the really big ticket items, i ship via UPS.

People are so lame/shady.

It's quite sad really.

I just think that in the end, they'll get anally raped in hell.

fuck em.

I will never sell on Amazon again. Got screwed out of $35 where the buyer claimed they never received the game. DC showed it as delivered, but Amazon wouldn't accept DC as proof of delivery. They said I needed signature confirmation and it could only be signed by the buyer. With the high fees, too much competition, scummy buyers and ridiculous policies it's just not worth it to sell on Amazon.

[quote name='confoosious']Basically the scammers can take your money on Amazon or ebay. I just hope for the best and the really big ticket items, i ship via UPS.

People are so lame/shady.

It's quite sad really.

I just think that in the end, they'll get anally raped in hell.

fuck em.[/QUOTE]
So, Delivery Confirmation won't work for Ebay either? I know I'll get scammed either way, but Ebay is going to be my choice if they accept DC as a valid confirmation of delivery.

[quote name='ecwfan']I will never sell on Amazon again. Got screwed out of $35 where the buyer claimed they never received the game. DC showed it as delivered, but Amazon wouldn't accept DC as proof of delivery. They said I needed signature confirmation and it could only be signed by the buyer. With the high fees, too much competition, scummy buyers and ridiculous policies it's just not worth it to sell on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar situation on ebay. I shipped 2 games with DC. It says delivered. Few weeks later, I see chargeback on paypal. I give the DC to paypal. Nope, paypal tells me to fuck off since I didn't do signature confirmation and hence they said they won't appeal. Since then I stopped using paypal/ebay and sell it locally.

I seriously think sellers are getting the shaft more and more now a days.

Neo. You've gotta be shitting me.

Where the hell am I supposed to sell shit? I see on Half.com, delivery confirmation is suggested. That must mean it's valid there. But they're owned by Ebay. So no?

[quote name='neotheone007']I had a similar situation on ebay. I shipped 2 games with DC. It says delivered. Few weeks later, I see chargeback on paypal. I give the DC to paypal. Nope, paypal tells me to fuck off since I didn't do signature confirmation and hence they said they won't appeal. Since then I stopped using paypal/ebay and sell it locally.

I seriously think sellers are getting the shaft more and more now a days.[/QUOTE]

that's why i stopped sell more valuable items on ebay...buyer is a king seller is his joker and king can cut him when he want
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neotheone007']I had a similar situation on ebay. I shipped 2 games with DC. It says delivered. Few weeks later, I see chargeback on paypal. I give the DC to paypal. Nope, paypal tells me to fuck off since I didn't do signature confirmation and hence they said they won't appeal. Since then I stopped using paypal/ebay and sell it locally.

I seriously think sellers are getting the shaft more and more now a days.[/QUOTE]

I just lost a paypal dispute a few days ago where DC shows 2 packages were delivered but the lady claimed she never got either package in the mail.

Called up paypal and the csr basically said too bad its a cost of business.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Neo. You've gotta be shitting me.

Where the hell am I supposed to sell shit? I see on Half.com, delivery confirmation is suggested. That must mean it's valid there. But they're owned by Ebay. So no?[/QUOTE]

craigslist brah

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Neo. You've gotta be shitting me.

Where the hell am I supposed to sell shit? I see on Half.com, delivery confirmation is suggested. That must mean it's valid there. But they're owned by Ebay. So no?[/QUOTE]

The problem is ebay and the others put all the value on the buyers. Philosophy is theres always more sellers. For every one who gets the shaft like me and stops using them, 10 more sellers will pop up to sell their stuff. And so they are really protective of the buyers.

They say DC is good but when really challenged they say the DC doesn't say where exactly and just gives zipcode and date of delivery. Hence they told me to fuck off literally and took the money from me to return to the buyer.

If you get a signature you might be better off. Just hope they don't come back with, it was a forgery bs or anything.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So, Delivery Confirmation won't work for Ebay either? I know I'll get scammed either way, but Ebay is going to be my choice if they accept DC as a valid confirmation of delivery.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true... DC works most of the time as long as the item shows up as being delivered. There are cases where the buyer can file a chargeback via their bank or CC company and if approved, PayPal has refund the money. For more expensive items, it's better to use insurance/signature confirmation though.

I went to Amazon after eBay's ridiculous fee hikes but quickly came back to eBay when I realized that Amazon just doesn't care how much proof you have of the item being delivered and the fact that Amazon will automatically give the buyer a refund if you refuse to help a buyer even if it was the buyer's fault (it's in their seller terms).

I've had 3 or 4 disputes on eBay (well, PayPal, really) in the last year and every one of them was resolved in my favor because of the delivery confirmation and the "Seller Protection". For one stupid cheap game (an extra NCAA 09 I picked up this summer and sold dirt cheap just to recoup my cost) I had two disputes. First the guy filed about 2 days after I mailed it as an "unauthorized charge". When DC showed that it was delivered it was resolved in my favor. Then, about a month later I got another dispute on the same transaction because this time he apparently filed a chargeback with his credit card company. Once again, it was resolved in my favor because of the "Seller Protection". The seller protection policy says it has to be signature confirmation for anything over $250 - but below that DC should be OK.

Here's the response I got eventually. It looks like they were unable to dispute it but they covered it for me anyway in accordance with their policy:

As you know, we were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a
chargeback with their card issuer. One of the unique benefits of using
PayPal is that we help you fight unwarranted chargebacks and attempt to
recover your funds.

Usually the funds associated with a chargeback are temporarily held until
the card issuer makes its decision.

Because you followed the guidelines of the seller protection policy,
though, PayPal will cover the amount of the chargeback.

So I'm not sure why you guys are getting screwed. Now, granted, this was slightly different in that they didn't claim they didn't receive it, but still, I'd like to think it would be the same thing (and in the past I have been covered by DC in that case - though it has been a while).

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn that sucks but luckily it was only a $26 game and you learned your lesson for higher priced stuff. My first interation with Amazon's policies came 2 instances within a week. Both showed as delivered via DC and both buyers claimed non-receipt and filed a-z claims. Same back and forth as FoS and they ultimately took the money from my account, First item was Xenosaga trilogy ($75) and 2nd item was ace combat flight stick w/ game ($150). Haven't sold on Amazon since.

I like how Amazon doesn't even give you the option of charging the buyer for signature confirmation so if you want it, you have to eat the cost on every item you sell just so you won't get screwed on a charge back.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I like how Amazon doesn't even give you the option of charging the buyer for signature confirmation so if you want it, you have to eat the cost on every item you sell just so you won't get screwed on a charge back.[/QUOTE]
they also like to 'cash in' on your shipping. so technically youre not really getting $4 for shipping, which screws you up also. one of these days someone should sue their ass for doing that. ebay doesnt charge you fees for receiving shipping, they charge you per sale. since amazon also becomes the merchant rather than dealing with a 3rd party like PayPal, they figured they'll charge the whole thing. more money for them. ultimately screwing the sellers while preserving dishonest buyers.

Not to be the Devil's Advocate, but I've been in the situation of having a package say it was delivered, and yet, there was nothing on my doorstep! Boo. Anyway, these things happen. I suppose knowing how easy it is to get away with just claiming that the package never arrived that there would be a good number of people abusing this. The part that sucks is that these things are generally in favor of the buyer over the seller rather than putting them both on a level playing field. I suppose I offer no real solution since I wouldn't want to get burned either way.

I guess the true moral of the story is that every person gets burned sometimes. The difference is, honest people bitch about it, dishonest people just take it out on someone else. Just feel better knowing you're one of the honest people. Morals are better than money in the long run.

This is one of the reasons I no longer sell stuff on places like Amazon and Ebay. The dumbasses/assholes have really come out in the masses this past year it seems. Add that to the fact that Ebay and Amazon seemingly try to fuck the seller at every turn, its just a recipe for people to abuse the system like this.

bad news, ebay blows too so you're better off selling on a forum with no hassles really and no middle man to take your $. ebay works with paypal and for selling on ebay you get charged their hefty fees plus paypal makes a commission off of that sell too. selling stuff online sucks but so far the only thing i've had luck with is craigslist.

Amazon, in their TOS, unless they have changed things, states they only accept point-by-point tracking (i.e. UPS) as confirmation. It sucks, yes, but it's your own fault for not reading it, 'cause it's a pretty safe bet the people you sent to did... DC is all but worthless. It only confirms that it was delivered to a zip code. That's it. And how the fuck did you not learn your lesson the first time?

I have always required Delivery Confirmation and Insurance for my ebay buyers and have included it in the shipping fees. I directly state it is to comply with the overly strict Paypal policies.

My logic is that I can prove I sent it with DC and if the buyer still complains they can assist me in filing an insurance claim for a lost package to get their money back.

As for amazon they don't give you those options so I have to eat the costs and deal with their extremely high fees.

eh, it really is "just a cost of doing business." This is what normal stores deal with as well and there's nothing they can do about it-- theft and other scams are worked into their sales estimates. It sucks for small time sellers, but there is no better way to resolve it. Buyers and sellers can scam just as easily as the other, but buyers have tons of stores they can buy at, while sellers have probably less than 10 online sites that are worth selling at. So ebay/amazon/half would rather keep buyers rather than sellers.

Amazon does seem to be a bit worse, your not allowed to have a no-returns policy, which means you could be stuck with a lot of items you don't need and you have to take returns. This means you could be out a lot of money. The buyers there also seem to be even more demanding than ebay buyers, from my experience ebay buyers know its ebay so they will take what they get however on Amazon everything must be perfect and buyers will complain about stuff like scratches on the case of a game or sellers who re-use shipping envelopes. Amazon buyers will complain about a dent in a box. You also can't sell things in custom lots, which is something I do a lot of on ebay.

The fees are also higher and there is more price competition since some sellers seem to have something that auto adjusts prices (especially with games and media) so that they are the cheapest, effectively putting the smaller seller who doesn't use those methods out of business since most buyers on amazon will go for the cheapest price.

Also, be careful when selling something on Amazon when it's not EXACTLY like the sku.

For example, you know how on ebay you can just sell something but comment it out? Like you can sell something that usually comes in a bundle but only part of it. You price it accordingly and all is well.

When MK Wii first came out, I needed another wheel so I sold it "WITHOUT WHEEL. *** NO WHEEL ***"

I even emailed the guy telling him there was no wheel and I'd cancel his order if he wanted. The stupid fucker didn't respond so after a day I sent it.

He then proceeded to file a claim because it had no wheel. (Game was sealed.)

Nevermind that my price was $10 less than everyone else.

Amazon sided in his favor and told me to fuck off.

If I'm ever in Florida, I'm gonna go kick him in the nuts.

I had a buyer on Amazon dispute that a ps2 disc didn't work. It was brand new and sealed.
I told them that if they returned it and it didn't work for me, then i would refund their money. If it did work, then i would charge a restocking fee.
At that point, they did the A-Z claim with Amazon. I told Amazon what i offered them, and a couple days later i got an email saying Amazon would not be taking my money.
I don't know if the seller also got their money back or not, but at least I wasn't out.

the one good thing amazon does is that you can charge up to 20% restocking fee and cost of shipping. And you don't have to pay return shipping. This deters a lot of people from returning.

The problem with Amazon and Ebay is that if someone wants to leave you a negative for no reason and sticks with it, you can't get it stricken, you can only respond.

As if I was leery enough to sell anything on half.com, eBay or Amazon, the issues you've all run into on here makes me quite glad that I don't.

It seems like that unless you want to foot the bill for UPS or FedEx, don't bother.

[quote name='shrike4242']As if I was leery enough to sell anything on half.com, eBay or Amazon, the issues you've all run into on here makes me quite glad that I don't.

It seems like that unless you want to foot the bill for UPS or FedEx, don't bother.[/QUOTE]

*knock on wood*, i've never lost a dispute, and ive only had 5 or so for my 100's of sales.

[quote name='shrike4242']As if I was leery enough to sell anything on half.com, eBay or Amazon, the issues you've all run into on here makes me quite glad that I don't.

It seems like that unless you want to foot the bill for UPS or FedEx, don't bother.[/QUOTE]

It really is no fun at all. You basically have to assume that everyone is a scammer unless you get positive feedback.

[quote name='intoxicated662']bad news, ebay blows too so you're better off selling on a forum with no hassles really and no middle man to take your $. ebay works with paypal and for selling on ebay you get charged their hefty fees plus paypal makes a commission off of that sell too. selling stuff online sucks but so far the only thing i've had luck with is craigslist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, craigslist used to be pretty damn good for finding amazing scores and getting good cash sales, but in LA it's just about dried up. Nothing but lowballers and coniving criminals/conmen, flakes, deadbeat lookieloos, etc.

[quote name='io']I've had 3 or 4 disputes on eBay (well, PayPal, really) in the last year and every one of them was resolved in my favor because of the delivery confirmation and the "Seller Protection".[/QUOTE]

Same here with me. I didn't get 3 or 4 disputes, but I've had a couple in the past year or so, but both ended in my favor with delivery confirmation. Normally when someone tries to open a dispute, Paypal will just ask the seller for the DC number. Once its been provided, as long as the DC# checks out, they will close it in your favor within a few days after they receive the DC#. Its rather quick and painless actually if you were comparing to Amazon Marketplace since Paypal actually do take in DC#. But just make sure whatever you do, its always to the confirmed Paypal address, otherwise they'll tell you they're taking your money and giving it to the buyer.

Exactly, confoocious. It can be so ridiculous...there is no ideal selling forum. Ebay used to be so awesome in its early years. I got burned once and that was it for me.

With amazon, I just price in the cost of idiots/scammers by increasing my prices.

I use to sell a lot of stuff on eBay. Never had a single issue, but all of the horror stories I read about here on these boards made me stop. I didn't wanna push my luck and end up getting screwed on an expensive item.

[quote name='karkyco']Exactly, confoocious. It can be so ridiculous...there is no ideal selling forum. Ebay used to be so awesome in its early years. I got burned once and that was it for me.

With amazon, I just price in the cost of idiots/scammers by increasing my prices.[/QUOTE]

Especially for videogames. The cut both Amazon and ebay takes is higher than every other category.

Scammers, both buyers and sellers, ruin it for everyone. It still amazes me how people will do anything for a buck.

But then again, if you check some of the forums here, you'll see only a minority seem to care about anyone else, as long as they get theirs.

One would like to think most people are honest, but more and more, evidence leads me to believe otherwise.

As an Amazon seller I always worry about this too. I have been lucky though. I sold maybe 50 - 100 items and not once did I ever have anyone contact me about not receiving a package.

While I prefer Craigslist, there are way too many cheap people on there. 90% of all the offers I receive are laughable.

[quote name='mietha']Amazon, in their TOS, unless they have changed things, states they only accept point-by-point tracking (i.e. UPS) as confirmation. It sucks, yes, but it's your own fault for not reading it, 'cause it's a pretty safe bet the people you sent to did... DC is all but worthless. It only confirms that it was delivered to a zip code. That's it. And how the fuck did you not learn your lesson the first time?[/QUOTE]
These transactions happened within a month of each other. Meaning I got burned, then got burned by an older transaction that occurred before the intial burning.

But thanks for your opinion.

[quote name='karkyco']Ebay used to be so awesome in its early years.[/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth. My biggest complaint now about Ebay is the idiots that bitch about shipping. I'll sell $30 items for like $8, then my shipping will be like $1-$2 above what the actual shipping is (so say it costs $3 to ship an item, I may set my cost at $4 or $5).

I get the people that complain and say "I know what shipping costs, and that's not it. I want it for $3." They don't take into account that even with the shipping, they're saving like $20 as it is. This has become all too common on Ebay IMO. WAY to many people on there who want something for nothing.

I occasionally sell computer hardware on ebay and offer fair prices on everything, and also offer free shipping on smaller/lighter items.

That's still not good enough for some people.

I'll get messages saying that my price is "way too high" and "a comparable model sells for x amount less than what you want" and "I bought a similar item last week for $xx SHIPPED, so if you'll drop the price I'll consider buying it".

I usually just send them back a message that says my price is firm and if they don't want to pay it, they are welcome to buy it somewhere else for cheaper if my price is as unreasonable as they claim. I never get a response back, and my item eventually sells anyway. :)

[quote name='gamegirl79']I occasionally sell computer hardware on ebay and offer fair prices on everything, and also offer free shipping on smaller/lighter items.

That's still not good enough for some people.

I'll get messages saying that my price is "way too high" and "a comparable model sells for x amount less than what you want" and "I bought a similar item last week for $xx SHIPPED, so if you'll drop the price I'll consider buying it".

I usually just send them back a message that says my price is firm and if they don't want to pay it, they are welcome to buy it somewhere else for cheaper if my price is as unreasonable as they claim. I never get a response back, and my item eventually sells anyway. :)[/QUOTE]

Why even bother replying? They're never gonna buy it anyway. And if they do, they're gonna be pains in the asses. I prefer that those people NOT buy my item. Don't need the headache.

[quote name='confoosious']Why even bother replying? They're never gonna buy it anyway. And if they do, they're gonna be pains in the asses. I prefer that those people NOT buy my item. Don't need the headache.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I shouldn't even give them the liberty of a reply. The majority of my buyers are honest people though - I've never had someone do a chargeback or claim they didn't receive an item. For more expensive items I always ship UPS and require a signature in person, though.

Couple years back, I was trying to sell a 7600GT on Craigslist and get a message from some moron saying it was only worth like maybe $20, and he provided me a link to an eBay BIN. Unfortunately for his argument, it was a broken one.

[quote name='SEH']Aint that the truth. My biggest complaint now about Ebay is the idiots that bitch about shipping. I'll sell $30 items for like $8, then my shipping will be like $1-$2 above what the actual shipping is (so say it costs $3 to ship an item, I may set my cost at $4 or $5).

I get the people that complain and say "I know what shipping costs, and that's not it. I want it for $3." They don't take into account that even with the shipping, they're saving like $20 as it is. This has become all too common on Ebay IMO. WAY to many people on there who want something for nothing.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately eBay has set this up intentionally with the "FREE SHIPPING" option. Plus with a lot of other retailers doing the same it makes any shipping cost seem too high to the average buyer even if the cost of the item + shipping is still a good deal compared to other places. Fortunately this can work in your favor as you can often price things higher with free shipping and people bite because it has free shipping ;).

[quote name='confoosious']Always offer free shipping and bake it into the price of the item.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this^^

The drawback of this, of course (and the reason eBay pushed for more free shipping from sellers) is that they get their 15% fees on the "baked in" shipping cost, whereas they don't on normal shipping charges. But, really, for typical games, shipping is so cheap (within the U.S. anyway) that offering free shipping isn't such a bad thing. For anything not normal-sized I've taken to using the "actual cost" calculator which is a way around the $4 limit (you put in a size/weight and it calculates priority mail cost for the buyer's location). I had an extra DDR Universe 3 bundle that I had bought for my daughter to give to a friend for her birthday. She decided she didn't want to give that to her so I finally got around to selling it and thanks to that calculator I was able to get $12 for shipping on that (and it did cost that much).

I'm not sure why we give ebay all our money. It's too bad we don't have a better selling/trading system on CAG.

I've got a copy of Saboteur I'd trade for Bayonetta but I just don't really like GameTZ. Traded a few times and it went ok but seems full of deadbeats.

bread's done
Back