So, I bought an engagement ring yesterday... how do I propose?

[quote name='notwen']Since you're here in Cincinnati take her to the Root Beer Stand up in Sharonville and do it there. *nod*[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Or better yet, take her to Tri-County. Propose at that gigantic Chuck E. Cheese knockoff restaurant in the mall. Just be playing Skeeball and show her the ring. It's a guaranteed win.

[quote name='pgforperil']Ugh you got off cheap, that's a fraction of what I'm going to have to spend on a ring soon[/QUOTE]

Why do you have to spend more?

[quote name='Theduck']If you have to ask us how to propose to your girlfriend then you are far from ready to propose and get married.

Learn to think for yourself first before proposing.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are incorrect.

put it on your dick. if shes worth marrying she will find it within a week if she doesnt find it in a month dump her because she obviously doesnt like doing her womanly duties.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']You sir, are incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Okay, just don't ask us what you should say at the wedding, what you should do on your honeymoon, and what to do incase of a baby.

Also, I refuse to do your taxes nor mow your lawn in any way.

[quote name='Theduck']Okay, just don't ask us what you should say at the wedding, what you should do on your honeymoon, and what to do incase of a baby.

Also, I refuse to do your taxes nor mow your lawn in any way.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! :lol:

I find it funny everyone gets up in arms when people pay a substantial amount of money for a ring... it's something that is supposed to be forever, and not everyone has the same budget.

Unless they are out of state and too far to see them in person, OP did you ask the girl's parents for their blessing? Yea I know its old fashion, but some parents really like it when you ask first before asking your gf to marry her.

If they are out of state/too far to reach...give them a call.

Wouldn't hurt right?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Unless they are out of state and too far to see them in person, OP did you ask the girl's parents for their blessing? Yea I know its old fashion, but some parents really like it when you ask first before asking your gf to marry her.

Wouldn't hurt right?[/QUOTE]

I did that and her parents love me for it. Definately recommended.

[quote name='Number83']I did that and her parents love me for it. Definately recommended.[/QUOTE]

yea you get really BIG bonus points with the parents if you do that.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Unless they are out of state and too far to see them in person, OP did you ask the girl's parents for their blessing? Yea I know its old fashion, but some parents really like it when you ask first before asking your gf to marry her.

Wouldn't hurt right?[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking about this for a while but her dad and stepmom live across the country (I've only met them once, briefly) and her mom & grandparents already know I plan on asking her, and they're excited.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']I've been thinking about this for a while but her dad and stepmom live across the country (I've only met them once, briefly) and her mom & grandparents already know I plan on asking her, and they're excited.[/QUOTE]

Hehe.. yea sounds like a challenge. Even though her parents are divorced, ask her biological dad anyways. Don't do this via email/twitter/facebook/text message. I don't care how lazy or cool you think it is, but it's a good slap in the face for the parent to get a text message from someone asking them for permission to marry their daughter.

It's going to be a challenge for me as well when the time comes. My gf's parents are divorced and they live in two different parts of MD. One is in Baltimore, and the other is in Hugesville , MD. It's going to be a bitch going to one house, then on to another. The drive is gonna kill me...plus the fact that my gf and I live together is something I can't keep too much of a secret from her when she asks (where the hell where you for the past 12 hrs?)

[quote name='DestroVega']I find it funny everyone gets up in arms when people pay a substantial amount of money for a ring... it's something that is supposed to be forever, and not everyone has the same budget.[/QUOTE]

In this day and age my G.I.Joe loving friend, marriges and engagements arn't known to last forever.

Example, I was engaged up until a week ago. I was in love with this girl and I honestly thought that she was going to be the one. I mean, I really could not imagine myself with another girl at the time. Then, she began to distance herself and I started to realize that I was screwed lol. So I sat down with her, shared my feelings, and discovered that she had changed and that we had grown apart because of this. I mean, its really messed up because her family was constantly telling me how I was already family and how they knew it was going to work out for us, etc etc.

Not to crap on OP's parade. I wish him the best. The moment you ask her to marry you and the high you're going to get from her saying "yes" is unlike anything else you'll ever feel. Do your best after you propose. Make sure you guys communicate everything. Make sure she's your go to person for everything. Make sure you SHARE everything. She's going to be your wife and thats a big deal.

Oh and, Use the force. haha'

Good luck OP!!

[quote name='Theduck']In this day and age my G.I.Joe loving friend, marriges and engagements arn't known to last forever.

Example, I was engaged up until a week ago. I was in love with this girl and I honestly thought that she was going to be the one. I mean, I really could not imagine myself with another girl at the time. Then, she began to distance herself and I started to realize that I was screwed lol. So I sat down with her, shared my feelings, and discovered that she had changed and that we had grown apart because of this. I mean, its really messed up because her family was constantly telling me how I was already family and how they knew it was going to work out for us, etc etc.

Not to crap on OP's parade. I wish him the best. The moment you ask her to marry you and the high you're going to get from her saying "yes" is unlike anything else you'll ever feel. Do your best after you propose. Make sure you guys communicate everything. Make sure she's your go to person for everything. Make sure you SHARE everything. She's going to be your wife and thats a big deal.

Oh and, Use the force. haha'

Good luck OP!![/QUOTE]

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Can you give me a rundown of exactly how things happened? How did you notice her distancing herself? How long were you dating? How long were you engaged? I'm just curious....

You might take a look around your area for marriage proposal options on google and see any that seem particularly fun or romantic. It may be a little bit more money out of pocket, but it will be worth it if you go with something more unique.

BEST OF LUCK!

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Can you give me a rundown of exactly how things happened? How did you notice her distancing herself? How long were you dating? How long were you engaged? I'm just curious....[/QUOTE]

Sure, sharing is therapeutic.

The first thing that comes to mind is the lack of "love making". haha. I'm an idiot for putting up with it as long as I did, but I loved her and tried to understand and give her time. We would go months without doing anything. Thats like your first sign I think. Í was new to all of this so I think thats the first sign lol. Anyways, so when that happens after a while it begins to feel like you guys are friends, you know? I'm not a typical guy for saying this, but sex is a HUGE part of a healthy relationship, remember that. So it felt like we were roomates and that we were best friends after a while. Then the kissing and cudding became a rarity... She started to demand more romance from me... just making excuses really. It was obvious, lets just say that.

We dated for over 3 years and we were engaged for about a year.

I don't regret it. I wish I would have realized it sooner but at the same time, just like everything in life, I learned a lot from the experience and I would not change much of what happened. If anything, I'm more aware of how things are now and how careful I really need to be when proposing to someone. I feel like I may never want to get married now although I would love a long term relationship. You can spend the rest of your life with someone without getting married, several people have done it and do it if only because they don't believe in the old ways of the world.

I figure if I do get married it has to be to a girl I've been with for over 5 years. Things have to be amazing after 5 years as well, not all crappy like the end of my relationship was.

Live and learn I say. I spent my good week being sad and depressed, now I'm ready to move on with knowledge on my side.

Oh, and I proposed to her during her favorite concert. A year later she said it wasn't that romantic when at the time she thought it was epic. Go figure. She did "change" so romance was different for her a year later. lmao >>

Scavenger Hunt.

That's what I did to propose to my now wife.

Basically, I left clues all around town, each clue was accompanied by a manila folder with specific directions to guide her to her next clue/puzzle.

It began at her place of work... and after several puzzles, prizes, and an hour and a half later, it ended at a specific spot we frequented.

Won't give the details, as I'm afraid I'll get butchered for being too sappy.

Anywho... she loved it.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Can you give me a rundown of exactly how things happened? How did you notice her distancing herself? How long were you dating? How long were you engaged? I'm just curious....[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat other people's failures. My lady and I feud more than most... but we are both aware that we are destined to remain together.

Just don't ever do these following things, and you should be fine:

1) Never cheat, flirt around, look up ex's for revenge fuck. There will come a time when you will think that you're never getting laid again. It's cool... as that is part of getting married.

2) Never get violent. This is an instant marriage killer. You'll forever be labeled as a "beater." Not good.

3) Hide your "thin skin." She will ultimately say things to you that will make you want to decorate your house for the holidays with her body parts. Grow some thick skin NOW... you'll need it.

4) Never compare her to her mother. She may secretly loathe her mother, making the comparison even more of an insult. It will also cause you to envision your lady as her mother, which makes sex incredibly difficult.

My wife is a total nutcase. As a total nutcase, she has done some fuck that would be unforgivable if she was any other girl. But she's never broken any of the "laws" that govern our relationship. Sure... sometimes I want to hide her in an active volcano, but I love the fuck... and regardless of what others may say, sometimes "love" is all you need.

Love... and lots of drugs, a taste for alcohol, and a developing hearing impairment.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Scavenger Hunt.

That's what I did to propose to my now wife.

Basically, I left clues all around town, each clue was accompanied by a manila folder with specific directions to guide her to her next clue/puzzle.

It began at her place of work... and after several puzzles, prizes, and an hour and a half later, it ended at a specific spot we frequented.

Won't give the details, as I'm afraid I'll get butchered for being too sappy.

Anywho... she loved it.[/QUOTE]
If I would have tried to do that with my wife she would have gotten bored after the first clue and asked me where the fuck her ring was.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Don't sweat other people's failures. My lady and I feud more than most... but we are both aware that we are destined to remain together.

Just don't ever do these following things, and you should be fine:

1) Never cheat, flirt around, look up ex's for revenge fuck. There will come a time when you will think that you're never getting laid again. It's cool... as that is part of getting married.

2) Never get violent. This is an instant marriage killer. You'll forever be labeled as a "beater." Not good.

3) Hide your "thin skin." She will ultimately say things to you that will make you want to decorate your house for the holidays with her body parts. Grow some thick skin NOW... you'll need it.

4) Never compare her to her mother. She may secretly loathe her mother, making the comparison even more of an insult. It will also cause you to envision your lady as her mother, which makes sex incredibly difficult. [/QUOTE]

Agreed with every part, except the first. So far my marriage is free of that problem. And the last part I totally agree with, my wife flips her shit if I comment on her doing something like her mom.

The safe way to do it is to take her someplace nice that has some significance to your relationship (your first date, first kiss, first whatever) and just do it. Keep it simple so there's no chance anything goes wrong such as this.

Like anything, there are good marriages and bad marriages. You both love each other, it'll be one of the good ones. Getting married for me is one of the best things that ever happened to me. Good luck!

[quote name='dopa345']The safe way to do it is to take her someplace nice that has some significance to your relationship (your first date, first kiss, first whatever) and just do it. Keep it simple so there's no chance anything goes wrong such as this.

Like anything, there are good marriages and bad marriages. You both love each other, it'll be one of the good ones. Getting married for me is one of the best things that ever happened to me. Good luck![/QUOTE]

haha....my gf and I met up for the first time at Dave and Busters.. oh hell no im not popping the question at a video game place :p

[quote name='ITDEFX']haha....my gf and I met up for the first time at Dave and Busters.. oh hell no im not popping the question at a video game place :p[/QUOTE]

But that would be so classy...

i was with my woman for almost 6 years... never asked her parents... then again her parents love me, so i wasn't concerned.
i proposed on day 1 of a vacation, took a hike on a cliff side over looking a lake, and pulled out the ring and asked. then told her we were actually staying at a hotel, and not at our trailer up north. then we partied like rockstars and ate out at nice restaurants all week.

Just use the tickets won from skee ball and tell her to wait outside the prize house so you can surprise her and show her the ring. That ways you get skee ball AND proposal done. Possibly with more skee ball to follow.

[quote name='dkreegz515']i was with my woman for almost 6 years... never asked her parents... then again her parents love me, so i wasn't concerned.[/QUOTE]

I never asked my now wife's parents. They lived a away... and I didn't like them. I think it was mainly because I didn't like then.

Do I like them now?

No.

But I try really hard to pretend.

[quote name='bardockkun']Even better, they got skee ball![/QUOTE]

Oh man, THIS! Give her the ring after she gets the ball in the tiny hole in the corner. It will make the occasion even more special.

[quote name='dkreegz515']
then told her we were actually staying at a hotel, and not at our trailer up north. then we partied like rockstars and ate out...[/QUOTE]

1355670-reaction_guys_2_super.jpg

[quote name='dkreegz515']
...at nice restaurants all week.[/QUOTE]

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

bread's done
Back