So I finally want a soccer game...

donbaloo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
What should I get for the 360? I know almost nothing about soccer but enjoy it when I see it on TV. I've never owned a single soccer game even though I've been gaming since Atari 2600. If you're a soccer game fan, basd on what I've just told you, which game is for me? Do any of them help TEACH soccer? Considering I've never touched any of them, which one gives me the most bang for buck today?

Thanks!

Can't really go wrong with Fifa. I've never played it myself but it always gets amazing reviews. That's about the most I can do for you. Soccer's a relatively easy sport to pick up

I was once told that American Soccer fans play FIFA while the rest of the world plays PES but I'm not sure how true that is.

[quote name='donbaloo']Should I go for the latest FIFA or will an older model serve me well since its all new to me?[/QUOTE]

FIFA 12 was a big improvement for the series (IMO, anyway). If you're just looking to get into the game and not worried about online/ultimate team creation or the newest rosters etc try that on the cheap. If you get hooked, you could then always trade that towards an upgrade to FIFA 13. The games are very pick up and play friendly, but also have a ton of depth if you're interested in investing the time.

FIFA is actually one of the few games that I don't get tired of playing. I will definitely be picking up 13 the day it releases.

We should create a CAG club for online play when 13 comes out. Would be pretty awesome to get 11 people playing as a team online.

Oh yeah, I should have also added that I'll be playing exclusively offline. Just games against the computer. So take that into consideration.

I know that newer is generally better but I'll not likely be dropping money on any new release title. Theres a chance I may not even like playing a soccer game.

Do any of them actually teach you much about the game of soccer? I know zero right now.

[quote name='donbaloo']Oh yeah, I should have also added that I'll be playing exclusively offline. Just game's against the computer. So take that into consideration.

I know that newer is generally better but I'll not likely be dropping money on any new release title. Theres a chance I may not even like playing a soccer game.

Do any of them actually teach you much about the game of soccer? I know zero right now.[/QUOTE]

Again not sure how true this is but it was my understanding that PES is much more technical where FIFA is much more action based.

What system are you looking for? I know TRU had clearaned out FIFA 11 so that may be your best way to go. FIFA titles tend to hold their value much longer then PES titles

Search Craigslist for a used copy of 12. You can probably find one on there for $5-$10. That is where I go for most of my used games.

Edit: $10-$20 after 13 drops. Sorry I was looking at 11 on the original quote.

@GBAstar- I'll be getting it for 360. After making my post here I tried to do a little research since I honestly didn't even know what PES was from the above comments. I had heard of FIFA though. That's how out of the soccer loop I am! Anyway, the research was impossible. I quit after 30 minutes because, knowing nothing about either game, I couldn't separate fanboyism from fact on either title. I didn't realize there was such an aggressive fanbase for competing soccer titles! Guess its like anything else. Good idea on looking for 11, I'll check into it.

I'm not opposed to PES I guess since it seems to have a lot of fans too. The difficulty though for me is that, it seemed as I was looking around that FIFA has consistently improved? Whereas I saw a number of competing views on PES's evolution. A lot of fans seemd to have liked earlier versions better, so I'm not even sure which year to look at for PES.

@JoeyPoley- Thanks for the numbers info. I may peak around for FIFA 11 on the super cheap while I wait for 13 to drop, then hit ebay and craigslist for deals on 12.

There's always FIFA Street, as well... for the casual soccer guy. I enjoyed the demo, and I don't understand a damn thing about soccer.

[quote name='GBAstar']I was once told that American Soccer fans play FIFA while the rest of the world plays PES but I'm not sure how true that is.[/QUOTE]

This use to be true a few years ago but FIFA has dominated the last couple of years. Wait for FIFA 13 or grab an older version of the game. Preferably, no older than FIFA 10 since the gameplay has changed quite a bit.

[quote name='donbaloo']Oh yeah, I should have also added that I'll be playing exclusively offline. Just games against the computer. So take that into consideration.

Do any of them actually teach you much about the game of soccer? I know zero right now.[/QUOTE]

They teach you how to play the videogame. I guess you can get a basic understanding of the game itself but the best way to learn strategies is by watching soccer. FIFA and PES teach you soccer about as much as Madden teaches you football.

[quote name='kill3r7']They teach you how to play the videogame. I guess you can get a basic understanding of the game itself but the best way to learn strategies is by watching soccer. FIFA and PES teach you soccer about as much as Madden teaches you football.[/QUOTE]

I would normally agree with this statment, but I must admit that back when I was in OPs position about 10 or 11 years ago, i was actually playing an imported version of PES that had me appreciate the sport more. Now you cant watch a sim of a game and assume thats how soccer really is, but playing (at least in PES back in the day) it teaches you how simple things that people assume about soccer dont work (unlike when I had FIFA2002 and you just ran around slide tackling everyone and never getting carded). My friend tore me apart because I would just run for the ball with any player (leaving huge holes in my D). From what I can tell is that PES is always solid, but FIFA has been good the past few years. Im pretty sure you cant go wrong with either game, and try coupling it with watching some actual games, and youll enjoy both much more.

if you want to understand the game more, go on youtube

fifa is one of the only sports games where they actually add new things to the gameplay each year and not just new rosters and a coat of paint.. ill be getting fifa 13 on the 25th for sure

[quote name='kill3r7']TFIFA and PES teach you soccer about as much as Madden teaches you football.[/QUOTE]

I learned everything I know about Hockey & Football from NHL Hockey (Genesis) and Joe Montana 2 Sports Talk Football (Genesis).

Before that, I had no idea what First Down, Hail Mary, or Icing was.

bread's done
Back