So I got falsely accused of stealing at Sears...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Consent trumps warrant.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know she consented to it, which she shouldn't have. She let the cop bully her trying to get her to confess that she stole stuff which she didn't. She wasted time letting him search, she wasted time going back to the store to show him where she put the games. I'm sure she felt humiliated. On top of that, she was labeled as a thief.

[quote name='junglalien']Well you've learned one thing for certain... Life isn't fair and you have no rights.. You aren't going to get anywhere legally and probally not get that LP guy in any trouble. I'd do something to make myself feel better like make them price check everything in the store for you. It could have been worse let me tell you. There are plenty of people wrong fully CONVICTED of crimes like murder in this country's criminal Just-Us system.[/QUOTE]

Please don't give advice dude. She had EVERY right to tell the cop to fuck off, ok not really but she did have the right to tell him to show her proof or get lost. Had she refused to cooperate, the cop couldn't do a damn thing to her.

Wow that's really fucked up. The cop fucked up even more by saying, give us a few days to "enhance" the tape to see what you stole. It's like saying "I think you committed a crime, just give me a few days to come up with the evidence.."

It all depends on the type of camera footage Sears was using. I trust the full 30 fps vs the 5/10 fps that you see sometimes. You could have had the item in your hand one frame, the next it's gone (back on display for you) but from there point of you, they could think it's in your pocket because the video is giving incorrect information. Yes the camera doesn't lie, but it doesn't tell the whole story when FRAMES are missing. It would be very low if they police come back with footage with missing frames saying, what happened to the games?!?!?

And the associates, well they were just standing around doing nothing. If you were doing something suspicious, they should have gotten involved.

In all honesty what is going to happen is that they are going to look at the tapes, find you didn't steal shit and leave you a lone and never hear from them again. Don't bother calling them because that will give them reason to try to hunt you down. Just blow it off and never go back sears for a few months and you should be ok.

[quote name='gokou36']Yeah I know she consented to it, which she shouldn't have. She let the cop bully her trying to get her to confess that she stole stuff which she didn't. She wasted time letting him search, she wasted time going back to the store to show him where she put the games. I'm sure she felt humiliated. On top of that, she was labeled as a thief.

Please don't give advice dude. She had EVERY right to tell the cop to fuck off, ok not really but she did have the right to tell him to show her proof or get lost. Had she refused to cooperate, the cop couldn't do a damn thing to her.[/quote]

LoL hey idiot go ahead and tell the cops that and see what happens... I hate cops. SWAT raided my house, I called them every name in the book and ended up serving some time for something I didn't even do... This was with paying one of the supposed best lawyers in town over 27k... So I learned the hard way. Go ahead though and try it tough guy... Let your delusions of grandeur land you in same place I ended. You will find out quick you are nothing against "the man." You have to fight him covertly pal. The bill of rights is toilet paper. The pigs have ways around everyone of your supposed rights. I would have refused to cooperate myself but I don't mind being detained in a cell for a few hours. I don't how she would have felt about that.

I'm sure someone brought this up, but I'm not reading 100 posts: How the fuck did they know who you were? And besides, once you are out of the store, "a black shape sticking out of your pocket" is grounds for exactly jack and shit. Even if you HAD stole something, they had NOTHING on you, and, again, how, exactly, did they know not only who you were, but got your home phone number in under an hour?

Edit: So I went back and looked... So someone followed you to your car, wrote down the plates, called it in, the cops ran it and called your mom, all in under an hour, yet no one at the store confronted you? That seems a wee bit odd all around.

Although it is such a bad idea, if I were you, I'd go back to the Sears and price check things just for the hell of it, but yell out loud what I was doing every time I picked something up/put something back. Just to be a douche.

[quote name='dab0yech0']Wow, I used to work Sears LP in Glendale, CA and I am wondering why they are allowed to call the cops and everything? The rule for Sears LP states that when you leave the parking lot area, they can't stop you anymore (alot of my fellow LPers do anyways since the thieves usually don't know the rule) You should contact corporate about it.

Also this LP guy is a joke if he contacts the police about all that stuff. We always get guys right as they walk out the door, must be some pussy shit to call the cops after you leave and still think that you stole something when you obviously didn't.

One last thing, talk to the loss prevention manager and demand that the LP kid gets a NPD which is a non productive stop. Its gonna go on his record, and most likely means he gets fired. Sometimes the store tries to compensate under the table and offer you something for free because a NPD looks really bad for the store.[/QUOTE]
I used to work at a Target near downtown Orlando, and although I didn't work in LP, I worked as a cart attendant (always near the front doors) and was called upon by LP when they needed an extra body to take somebody down (I'm a good sized fellow). The rules were explained to me as this, paraphrasing from what I remember:
(1) We must see somebody putting something in their pocket (you can't see a "lump" and just assume he has something hidden). We have to have to be 100% sure, because see #4.
(2) They must make an attempt to walk out the doors (you can put anything you want in your pocket, but as long as you stay in the store you're okay).
(3) Because of rule 2, employees can't approach the guest until he is OUTSIDE.
(4) Upon making it outside we are allowed to use ALL FORCE NECESSARY to bring them down, which usually means tackling him NFL style, face first into the concrete.

Now, in your case, you were not approached upon leaving, which as said above will likely get the LP kid fired.
(1) You were not caught leaving the store with merch.
(2) Employees can't accurately describe the merch (couldn't name a game).
(3) You weren't found with any of it on your person (you had no new games in your car).
(4) The security camera is all they have, and it won't have clear evidence obviously.
Sounds like an open and shut case for you. LP kid will get fired for wasting the cops time, and breaking the rules (getting your license plate is a BIG no-no).

I wouldn't be surprised if you never heard from the cops again. Of course that probably is no consolation, since you were publicly humiliated by some little jerk, but there probably isn't any legal recourse you can take against him. If I were you, I would ask for an apology from the store management, but leave it at that. It's always best to avoid the courts if possible.

[quote name='hopeunknown']After this, I went over to Sears in Swansea at around 8pm to check and see if there was anything getting over there.[/quote]

On another note... Cool! I'm in Fall River and work in the Swansea Mall (not at Sears XD).

And yeah, it makes sense that this happened in Dartmouth. There is so much freaking theft there I'd be surprised if you're one of the only people who's been falsely accused of stealing. Sears, though, especially in our area, is the most incompetent retail store on the planet.

[quote name='tsmvengy']What I'm saying is that it's not an injustice and the LP person was doing his job in so far as he assessed the situation. He thought he saw the OP steal something and he acted. It turns out he was wrong. I'm not sure how that falls into "he doesn't know how to do his job" - he incorrectly assessed the situation.[/quote]
being accusatory to this whole situation is a mistake. unless you dont physically see them putting merchandise inside their belongings, you cannot accuse them of stealing. the LP guy did the right thing by following her to her car and get her license plate number but made a mistake by calling the cops where he should have been just watching her movements.

[quote name='dab0yech0']Wow, I used to work Sears LP in Glendale, CA and I am wondering why they are allowed to call the cops and everything? The rule for Sears LP states that when you leave the parking lot area, they can't stop you anymore (alot of my fellow LPers do anyways since the thieves usually don't know the rule) You should contact corporate about it.

Also this LP guy is a joke if he contacts the police about all that stuff. We always get guys right as they walk out the door, must be some pussy shit to call the cops after you leave and still think that you stole something when you obviously didn't.

One last thing, talk to the loss prevention manager and demand that the LP kid gets a NPD which is a non productive stop. Its gonna go on his record, and most likely means he gets fired. Sometimes the store tries to compensate under the table and offer you something for free because a NPD looks really bad for the store.[/quote]
Okay let me get this straight. I can have my friend idling in the getaway car outside, book it with expensive electronics, escape past the parking lot, and claim the alarm must be a mistake because I bought it even though I "lost" the receipt...hmm interesting.

[quote name='defiance_17']How did they get your mom's phone number? Somebody's screwing with somebody, but let me use this to mention that I really, really hate cops.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same.....

im not bothering to read through everybody replies. but ill give you mine.
i worked at sears for several years in asset protection (they change the name of loss prevention every couple years)
what happened was against company policy and id bet the LP associate would get fired. when i was there the situation you described was very serious.
id bet the lp guy was newer and there was not somebody senoir there. im in fact suprised that the police not only responded but tracked you down.
I would file suit against both sears and the police department. a video showing you put , "something" in your pocket when its not 100% identifiable is not enough to do anything short of banning you from the store and theres nothing they can legally do (speaking from a california perspective)
im certain what happened was the LP guy counting items and miscounted the number of items you picked up or put down. he was probably by himself which is why he didnt come out or have somebody else come out to verify. this is also required by sears company policy
they would also need to maintain 100% video coverage on you per company policy.
If i recall they call their escalated customer service line the golden hotline. ive had prior convicted shoplifters (who we prosecuted) come back into our store make a scene when asked to leave call that number and get gift cards, it was fucking ridiculous.
good luck, and if theres anything you want to know pm me.

[quote name='Clarke']Okay let me get this straight. I can have my friend idling in the getaway car outside, book it with expensive electronics, escape past the parking lot, and claim the alarm must be a mistake because I bought it even though I "lost" the receipt...hmm interesting.[/QUOTE]

no genius, its against sears policy for their LP associates to stop you outside the parking lot, its a safety issue (sears doesnt wnt to be sued by shoplifter or associate). i dont think they even allow physically stopping shoplifters anymore. the shoplifter has to consent to be taken.

[quote name='techstar25']I used to work at a Target near downtown Orlando, and although I didn't work in LP, I worked as a cart attendant (always near the front doors) and was called upon by LP when they needed an extra body to take somebody down (I'm a good sized fellow). The rules were explained to me as this, paraphrasing from what I remember:
(1) We must see somebody putting something in their pocket (you can't see a "lump" and just assume he has something hidden). We have to have to be 100% sure, because see #4.
(2) They must make an attempt to walk out the doors (you can put anything you want in your pocket, but as long as you stay in the store you're okay).
(3) Because of rule 2, employees can't approach the guest until he is OUTSIDE.
(4) Upon making it outside we are allowed to use ALL FORCE NECESSARY to bring them down, which usually means tackling him NFL style, face first into the concrete.

Now, in your case, you were not approached upon leaving, which as said above will likely get the LP kid fired.
(1) You were not caught leaving the store with merch.
(2) Employees can't accurately describe the merch (couldn't name a game).
(3) You weren't found with any of it on your person (you had no new games in your car).
(4) The security camera is all they have, and it won't have clear evidence obviously.
Sounds like an open and shut case for you. LP kid will get fired for wasting the cops time, and breaking the rules (getting your license plate is a BIG no-no).

I wouldn't be surprised if you never heard from the cops again. Of course that probably is no consolation, since you were publicly humiliated by some little jerk, but there probably isn't any legal recourse you can take against him. If I were you, I would ask for an apology from the store management, but leave it at that. It's always best to avoid the courts if possible.[/QUOTE]

Your entire post is so full of wrong.

[quote name='defiance_17']How did they get your mom's phone number? Somebody's screwing with somebody, but let me use this to mention that I really, really hate cops.[/QUOTE]

Lets just put this straight, this whole situation is 100% Sears's fault. Whoever in LP called the police in the first place should be fired. I see people put cellphones and crap in their pockets ALL the time when they're acting shady and never once have I called PD or made a stop based on that alone, clearly that's what happened here/

I think you should go over there with a gun and rob them for all of the games that they have. That will show them!!! And then burn the place down

[quote name='junglalien']LoL hey idiot go ahead and tell the cops that and see what happens... I hate cops. SWAT raided my house, I called them every name in the book and ended up serving some time for something I didn't even do... This was with paying one of the supposed best lawyers in town over 27k... So I learned the hard way. Go ahead though and try it tough guy... Let your delusions of grandeur land you in same place I ended. You will find out quick you are nothing against "the man." You have to fight him covertly pal. The bill of rights is toilet paper. The pigs have ways around everyone of your supposed rights. I would have refused to cooperate myself but I don't mind being detained in a cell for a few hours. I don't how she would have felt about that.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're the moron that got raided by SWAT. I bet not even a handful in this thread has gotten raided by SWAT, so you must've done something REALLY STUPID.

[quote name='techstar25']I used to work at a Target near downtown Orlando, and although I didn't work in LP, I worked as a cart attendant (always near the front doors) and was called upon by LP when they needed an extra body to take somebody down (I'm a good sized fellow). The rules were explained to me as this, paraphrasing from what I remember: (4) Upon making it outside we are allowed to use ALL FORCE NECESSARY to bring them down, which usually means tackling him NFL style, face first into the concrete.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but that is way wrong. They can sue you for injuries. Either you're bullshitting or someone lied to you.

Interesting story. I always just use a barcode sheet in Target and K-Mart. My Sears sucks so bad they don't even have games! Yeah, I get funny looks in Target but it beats taking a load of games to the scanner. I don't get funny looks at K-Mart b/c there is never an associate within 100 feet to ever help me. :)

You know how Wal-Mart and other places "check your receipt and bag" when you leave and want to look inside your bag? That is illegal search. Once you have purchased the item and it goes into your bag, it is yours and they can't look in it. Sure, if they want to ask they can do that but you are not required to let them look. Heh, the old door greeters will freak when you don't let them and just keep walking out. Nothing they can do. They can't even hold you (false imprisonment) unless they are an official police person. They can only call the cops and give a description and details. Sure, they can follow you off their property and ask you to leave and never come back but who cares or even get your car tag.

I too commend the OP for staying calm but I would have been insistent to ask the Police for their badge #'s, asked for the store manager or regional manager, etc.. The moment you can swing from being defensive to demanding, they will generally back off b/c they know you will "cause a scene". Yeah, I would have threatened a lawyer in there too. Last thing the LP person wants to do is get management involved.

[quote name='moojuice']Although it is such a bad idea, if I were you, I'd go back to the Sears and price check things just for the hell of it, but yell out loud what I was doing every time I picked something up/put something back. Just to be a douche.[/quote]

LOL! Yeah, I think I would do the same.... until they asked me to leave and banned me from the store. :) Either way, it would be a nice plan.

OP - I am an experienced lawyer and have an MBA, so I have pretty good understanding of both the legal and business sides of your issue. It NOT worth your time or effort to pursue any legal claims against the police or Sears. However, it IS worth your time to harass the *** out of Sears corporate. Mailing or e-mailing people as high up in the food chain as possible will actually get you some attention, and more likely than not, those people will go out of their way to make sure that the situation is fixed. Ask for compensation and if necessary, be pushy. Explain that you will never shop at Sears again. Explain that you will tell everyone you know not to shop at Sears. You will get something out of the process. Be mad, pushy, and persistent.

[quote name='bg2001']OP - I am an experienced lawyer and have an MBA, so I have pretty good understanding of both the legal and business sides of your issue. It NOT worth your time or effort to pursue any legal claims against the police or Sears. However, it IS worth your time to harass the *** out of Sears corporate. Mailing or e-mailing people as high up in the food chain as possible will actually get you some attention, and more likely than not, those people will go out of their way to make sure that the situation is fixed. Ask for compensation and if necessary, be pushy. Explain that you will never shop at Sears again. Explain that you will tell everyone you know not to shop at Sears. You will get something out of the process. Be mad, pushy, and persistent.[/QUOTE]

This ends thread.

To the people saying the guy from Target is bullshitting, I'd agree if he was recently employeed by Target. I heard that back in the day-day, they used to use physical force. It all depends how old the poster is I guess.

[quote name='bg2001']OP - I am an experienced lawyer and have an MBA, so I have pretty good understanding of both the legal and business sides of your issue. It NOT worth your time or effort to pursue any legal claims against the police or Sears. However, it IS worth your time to harass the *** out of Sears corporate. Mailing or e-mailing people as high up in the food chain as possible will actually get you some attention, and more likely than not, those people will go out of their way to make sure that the situation is fixed. Ask for compensation and if necessary, be pushy. Explain that you will never shop at Sears again. Explain that you will tell everyone you know not to shop at Sears. You will get something out of the process. Be mad, pushy, and persistent.[/QUOTE]

personally i would file suit. i might call that golden number i mentioned and see what type of response i got first but that kind of behavior by both sears and the police officers is unaccetable and it goes on because people dont do anything to make them behave otherwise.
i cant even articulate how angry id be if something like that happened to my wife.

edit - when you call them threaten suit if needed.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']To the people saying the guy from Target is bullshitting, I'd agree if he was recently employeed by Target. I heard that back in the day-day, they used to use physical force. It all depends how old the poster is I guess.[/quote]

yeah, I worked at Target in the early 90's, LP would on occasion if the situation called for it, tackle shoplifters in the parking lot. Not the case anymore. They would call us floor sales guys for backup all the time in case the situation escalated to the use of physical force in order to restrain them until the cops could arrive.

[quote name='gokou36']And those links tell me what in your situation? Like I said, you must've done something really stupid for them to send you to jail for a few days. Sounds like to me you did something very wrong and don't want to say it. Either explain your situation or simply STFU.[/quote]

/facepalm

[quote name='gokou36']Exactly what I expected from you.[/quote]

I found your pic boy

2127p95.jpg

Ah, sorry to hear about this OP, I too was accused of stealing a while back, and it does suck. Especially when the stores resort to calling in higher authority, I was held by some mall cops for a short while because the manager at the Suncoast accused me of stealing. I vowed never to shop their again, and was quite glad when that place shut down. (Of course, I did shop there once the 50%-70% clearnece hit >_>)

That sucks
I'm a loss prevention manager and the kid who works at Sears should be fired. My advice to you is call Sears corporate office and give them the details and tell them how embarrasing it was for you. I bet you end up with a gift card and the games you supposedly stole are yours for free. Don't worry you'll get your wish Sears will fire him!

I know alot of people that work LP at major chains like walmart, sears, Best Buy
and they are told to be hands off with thiefs. If they run they just let them go and get their plate and call the cops.
Just so you know don't steal from Sportsman's Warehouse where I work, we can chase any crooks we want and slam anyone uncooperative. A couple of months ago one of my employees stopped a crackhead for stealing a depth finder the guy ran into traffic and my employee chased him and pushed him in the back and the dudes momentum took him into oncoming traffic and crashing through a womans windshield -ooops, and somehow he still works with me , the videos angle doesn't show the push but instead the guy changing directions and giving a stinger splash to the car, LMAO.

We get to act like Walker cause we sell guns and are privately owned . DONT STEAL GUNS, lol I have a direct line to the FBI for that!

[quote name='finalrodzilla']That sucks
I'm a loss prevention manager and the kid who works at Sears should be fired. My advice to you is call Sears corporate office and give them the details and tell them how embarrasing it was for you. I bet you end up with a gift card and the games you supposedly stole are yours for free. Don't worry you'll get your wish Sears will fire him!

I know alot of people that work LP at major chains like walmart, sears, Best Buy
and they are told to be hands off with thiefs. If they run they just let them go and get their plate and call the cops.
Just so you know don't steal from Sportsman's Warehouse where I work, we can chase any crooks we want and slam anyone uncooperative. A couple of months ago one of my employees stopped a crackhead for stealing a depth finder the guy ran into traffic and my employee chased him and pushed him in the back and the dudes momentum took him into oncoming traffic and crashing through a womans windshield -ooops, and somehow he still works with me , the videos angle doesn't show the push but instead the guy changing directions and giving a stinger splash to the car, LMAO.

We get to act like Walker cause we sell guns and are privately owned . DONT STEAL GUNS, lol I have a direct line to the FBI for that![/QUOTE]

Your situation is different though. Having possession of a gun without a license to carry it is illegal. I doubt he would win the case if he tried to sue you guys. Was he arrested and how many years did he get?

Does Sears or Walmart carry guns? I know Academy does.

Also work LP. Well use to... Damn Bankruptcy.... As for the hands off approach it depends on each retail store. I was trained in confrontation management where we had all sorts of locks, holds, and techniques used to implement during any hostile situation. I myself have been involved in MANY of these situations especially involving ORC (Organized Retail Crime) cases. Most large chains (we were one of the last to allow hands on) don't let the LP use force to restrain due to the large headache it cause at corporate.

As for OP, finalrodzilla has the right idea. Make a big stink at Sears corporate and you should get some stuff. The kid who called in the stop to the cops is probably fired already. NPI's (Non Productive Incident's) are a big issue in LP and if you get one where you go to the extent of calling it in to authorities then you should definitely be fired.

....was it ever explained how his mom was called though???? that's just very random....

[quote name='strongpimphand']....was it ever explained how his mom was called though???? that's just very random....[/QUOTE]

Her name's probably on the car title/registry. Run plates-> get name-> get number.

[quote name='scsg75']yeah, I worked at Target in the early 90's, LP would on occasion if the situation called for it, tackle shoplifters in the parking lot. Not the case anymore. They would call us floor sales guys for backup all the time in case the situation escalated to the use of physical force in order to restrain them until the cops could arrive.[/QUOTE]

I believe it, when I worked in Kmart we were told that if there was a child missing in the store and we saw the child with an adult we were to do whatever we could to keep them in the store and to keep them from harming the child including using physical force, in fact that was highly recommended.

[quote name='RamHawk']

You know how Wal-Mart and other places "check your receipt and bag" when you leave and want to look inside your bag? That is illegal search. Once you have purchased the item and it goes into your bag, it is yours and they can't look in it. Sure, if they want to ask they can do that but you are not required to let them look. Heh, the old door greeters will freak when you don't let them and just keep walking out. Nothing they can do. They can't even hold you (false imprisonment) unless they are an official police person. They can only call the cops and give a description and details. Sure, they can follow you off their property and ask you to leave and never come back but who cares or even get your car tag.

I too commend the OP for staying calm but I would have been insistent to ask the Police for their badge #'s, asked for the store manager or regional manager, etc.. The moment you can swing from being defensive to demanding, they will generally back off b/c they know you will "cause a scene". Yeah, I would have threatened a lawyer in there too. Last thing the LP person wants to do is get management involved.[/quote]

[quote name='bg2001']OP - it IS worth your time to harass the *** out of Sears corporate. Mailing or e-mailing people as high up in the food chain as possible will actually get you some attention, and more likely than not, those people will go out of their way to make sure that the situation is fixed. Ask for compensation and if necessary, be pushy. Explain that you will never shop at Sears again. Explain that you will tell everyone you know not to shop at Sears. You will get something out of the process. Be mad, pushy, and persistent.[/quote]

I agree with these posts. You can visit the police department and file a formal complaint against the officers involved for their conduct.

I would write a letter to sears corporate (with the LP person's name or description, as well as any other employees involved, store manager, store number, date, time, etc) and send it with returned receipt delivery.

I would then call corporate if you do not hear anything within a week of mailing and reference the letter.

Do not make any threats or "I will do this, if you don't do this" statements.

You can also file a complaint against Sears at the BBB (I would wait until after they respond) and file a report with your state's attorney general.

I did not read threw a lot of this thread.There are good cops ,a lot of them are dicks.There trying to prove that your guilty.It might of been best to not even call them back. It's on the state to prove that your guilty,the wrong cop might be on a power trip and arrest you just b.c he thinks that your talking crap to him.

why did u even talk to them? You should have not said a WORD, you should have told them you wanted a lawyer for questioning and that's that. They clearly have no evidence (assuming u didn't steal anything), as well you should file a complaint on the officers for being dicks.

I sent their email customer service AND their CEO copies of this email. Since it's been 6 days since the incident, I felt it necessary to detail things. Lengthy, but I think it needed to be. I will post their response. I x'ed out some things for my own privacy.

Hello, my name is (my name), and on Monday, January 12th, 2009, I was falsely accused of shoplifting by your loss prevention associate in the Sears location in the Dartmouth Mall in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts. Please let me explain my story in detail for you:

On the Friday prior (January 16th), I stopped in your store to see if there were any copies of Animal Crossing: Wild World for Wii in stock that could be price matched to a sale that was on your company’s affiliate K-Mart site, which was out of stock. Unfortunately, there were no copies I could see in the glass case where games are kept. I did, however, go check out some games that were in a cardboard shipper display and price checked several of them at the self-price check scanner a few aisles over. I went back and forth several times, as there were no available associates to price check games for me, and ended up purchasing $25 in clearance games that were ringing up at $0.97 and were not stickered as such prices (hence, why I scanned them).

So, on the Monday following, I decided to stop in the store again as my friend was interested in a copy of Picross for the Nintendo DS I had picked up on Friday for $4.97 (also unstickered but ringing up at that price) from the same store, and there were two copies left. One of the copies looked as though a box cutter had gotten to the spine edge, and after having worked myself at both Suncoast and Gamestop in the past, I know that can easily happen when an associate opens a shipment box that has no padding on top of the product with a box cutter. So, since it was damaged (the cover art had a cut in it, and some of the shrink wrap was falling off) I decided not to purchase it. I scanned several more games that I did not decide on getting. Since my only purpose of going to the store (and the mall, since I was there on Friday) was to check and see if they still had the game in stock, I decided to leave and check out your Swansea Mall Sears location to see if they had any other games. So I put the games back in the cardboard shipper, where there were two female employees talking to a manager right next to me, and went on my way out.

After I went to your Swansea store (which is a half hour away), which all the clearance games were labeled correctly and in a metal bin in the center aisle, and another store near the Swansea Mall, I decided to head back home to my apartment in xxxxxxxx (which, you will see the address listed when I send this to you). As I was about to go to Target in Dartmouth and pick up some food, I received a call from my mother saying the Dartmouth Police had called my home. Apparently, someone had followed me out of Sears, wrote down my car’s license plate numbers, called the police department, who then called my house (where my car is registered), and in turn, my mom called me to call the police station. So I did, wondering why they would be calling me. Apparently I was accused of shoplifting, which confused me quite a bit. I ended up parking in the Sears parking lot at the Dartmouth Mall (as it was on my way to Target anyways), and then two police cruisers pulled up next to me.

Upon their arrival, I was immediately met with an officer who, rather aggressively, asked me “do you want to tell me about the three video games you stole?” where I immediately responded “I don’t know what you are talking about, officer.” He proceeded to tell me that upon me scanning several games at the self-price check scanner (which was in a messy area with cardboard boxes all over the floor, I might add) that I supposedly put three games in my pocket (which is physically impossible) and walked out the door right after. All I could think is that I had my cell phone on top of the pile (which is a T-Mobile G1 phone, I have the black model that has a purple case on it, but several parts of the black, such as the screen, back of the screen, slide out keypad and call/end call/home/etc buttons are black) and I had checked either my email or text messages while looking at the games and then put it back in my pocket (where I normally keep it) once I put the games back. So I explained to the officer and showed him my phone, and also pulled out everything I had in my pockets (being my keys, some papers, some change and a $5 bill), and the even offered the officers to look through my purse, my car, anything they wanted I would certainly oblige to as I was innocent. They did not, however, they still held on to that I “put something black and square shaped in my pocket” but would not specify what title, what details, etc. because I obviously “stole” my own cell phone I walked in with! So I offered to show the police officer where I put the games back in the store.

As we walk through the store, mind you, I am completely mortified and humiliated by being spoken to like I was a delinquent teenager, I see several of the female associates who were standing right next to me the whole time I went to the price scanner. We were then met with the loss prevention associate who accused me of stealing these three games. I showed them exactly where I put the games back in the cardboard shipper. The three games I supposedly “stole” were two copies of Picross for Nintendo DS(one being the one with the box cutter slash in it, which I handed to the loss prevention associate) and one copy of Assassin’s Creed for Nintendo DS. The officer then claimed I was “lying” and had to “enhance the video” of the security footage but refused to let me see the footage, which would clearly show me holding my cell phone and putting that in my pocket. We then went out the door back out to my car (where the loss prevention associate actually left the store holding the slashed Picross game) and then the officer took down my information (the exact information I’m giving you – xxxxx – xxxxx my cell) and said he would contact me in a couple days. He then let me go and I never heard back.

So, this being Sunday, January 18th, six days later, I have neither heard back from the police station nor received an apology from your store. Clearly the footage showed me with my cell phone. I suggest you view the tape and also view the tape of when I was there on Friday the 12th doing the same exact thing, with my same exact phone in my pocket and me using it several times. I have the receipt from that transaction with the salescheck #xxx tran#xxx pg/store xxx reg# xxx assoc#xxx. The associate that was at that register was a girl with dark hair in a ponytail who had hoop earrings I believe and answered the phone while I was ringing out. I can show you every game I price checked and where I put it back. I’m not sure if your price checkers take a log of all the games that are scanned in it, but I suggest getting that and checking it against your inventory. Nothing is missing.

In all of this, I believe your loss prevention associate should be fired and your training for these employees should be reconsidered. I know the “hand in pocket” move can sometimes be suspicious, but as someone who worked in retail before (as previously mentioned) you need to have hard evidence that the person you suspect of committing a shoplifting crime is actually taking something. Your loss prevention team clearly did not review the tape nor properly see that I had my cell phone on top of the games I was looking at. Clearly they just made an assumption and unfortunately on their (and your) behalf it was a bad call. Now after posting this incident in detail on several forums (one of which has over 6,000 views and near 200 replies), several former Sears or other loss prevention employees have posted that “false stops” like these often result in termination and, ultimately, cost the store and the company money and loss of customers. At my previous job, we usually had mall security do a walk through if we felt a customer were suspicious. Your loss prevention associate made no effort to stop me, and actually followed me to my car. To me, as a 21 year old female, that is scary and uncalled for. For all I know, your loss prevention associate may have used this as a scheme to get my personal information. I am afraid to even enter your store or even the mall now!

This loss prevention associate was about in his 20s, he was wearing a red sweater and khaki pants, blonde hair, I would say about 5’8” or so. I know loss prevention associates are supposed to look like every day customers (my friend worked as one in JC Penney in the Galleria Mall in Taunton, MA, where I worked at said Gamestop and said Suncoast previously), and since he didn’t have a name tag, I didn’t catch his name.

Frankly, I think your company should view the thread and the experiences other members of the forum Cheap Ass Gamer (a forum for bargain-hunting video gamers, which many look for clearance deals at Sears in the same fashion I did – scan at the self-check scanners because sales associates often are not around or are not willing do it). A lot of users do not even want to utilize your stores’ price check scanners any more. Who can blame them, when you are just looked at as a thief for checking a price on a product that is probably not marked correctly or up-to-date. The link to my post (my username is hopeunknown) is here: (this thread) I wrote that entire thing right as I got home from the whole incident. Needless to say, I was quite angry. It angered many other members of the community as well, as you will read.

Overall, I was deeply embarrassed and humiliated by the whole ordeal. Imagine yourself in my shoes. Would you ever want anyone to shop at Sears again, after being falsely accused of stealing things you were merely checking prices of, surrounded in your car in a mall parking lot as if you are some sort of drug dealer-calibur criminal? I don’t think you would.

I would like to know what you can do for me and what your company plans on doing about the situation. I am seriously considering getting some legal advice about this.

Thank you for your time. I hope to hear back from Sears soon.

- (my name)

Sue their asses off! Take em to the cleaners! It's only Sears anyways. My sears never even has any games ever!

I mean I can understand being cautious, and maybe asking you about the incident instead of flat out accusing you of stealing. That is just retarded and bad for business. TO THE CLEANERS!

Good luck.

[quote name='hopeunknown']"The letter"[/quote]
You're probably gonna get a gift card or something :lol:
Very well written!

bread's done
Back