So I just got a new TV

bullsrfive

CAGiversary!
I recently got a new Sony 32 inch LCD TV for my room. Its awesome and everything, but here's the problem: When I pop in a PS2 game it looks like complete shit. Is there any way to make it look better. Before I used to have one of those old TVs with a wooden frame but it worked perfectly and the games looked great on it. When I played NBAK7 on the new TV everything looked so choppy.

Well, stuff in SD never usually looks great on an HD television. What cables are you using on the PS2? Because component cables should/would help if you are using composite cables now.

Edit: Woah... didn't even realize this was the PS2 forum. Hell, I don't even come over here now because of my 360. However, my favorite game of all time is on the PS2.

Yup, SD content is always going to look worse on an HDTV than on a SDTV. Get yourself a set of component cables if you don't already have some, and make sure to set your various games to 480p or higher if they support progressive, and enable widescreen as well.

[quote name='bullsrfive']What do you mean component cables? You mean the S cable?[/QUOTE]

No component cables, but whatever you know them by.

Best solution is to buy a ps3 and an HDMI cable. It will make your ps2 games look better than they did before.

But honestly if you don't have next gen consoles, the new tv wasn't necessary.

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck with it. Everything will look overly jaggy because most PS1 games run at 640x480 resolution and most LCDs 32" have a 1360x768 resolution. So your TV has to stretch the image and make it bigger which causes minor jaggies to become huge.

Component cables will help in a sense but I sometimes stick with composite/s-video because it's blurrier so the jaggies aren't that noticeable but at a sacrifice of color/contrast. But it sounds like you don't like it since you're probably using composite or s-video cables now.

These are the cables you need (works fine with PS2 or PS3).
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...onent&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1166840115294

[quote name='bullsrfive']Do you think a Gamestop brand component cable would work as well as a Sony one?[/QUOTE]

I would stick with the Sony ones.

Werd. Kingdom Hearts 2 at 1080 is eye sex.
[quote name='mr ryles']
Best solution is to buy a ps3 and an HDMI cable. It will make your ps2 games look better than they did before. [/quote]

Alright, I bought the Sony PS2/PS3 component cables at BestBuy and although it still looks a little jagged, it is a HUGE improvement over what I had to deal with before. NBA 2K7 also had progressive scan so it made it look even better. Thanks for all the help guys.

No problem, component cables are definitely worth the money when you have an HDTV. And when you get a PS3, you'll already be good to go since you have the cables.

bread's done
Back