So I Just Got A PSP...

Walt Jay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
174 (100%)
Not content with owning 2 DSs and 3 GBAs, I added a PSP to my gaming experience recently.

Current PSP Owners: What are the accessories and games that you feel are must-haves? Browsing through the forums, I know certain accessories stand out, like Logitech's case, but what else is out there that you feel is invaluable?

Also, if anyone has any tips for a new PSP, I'm all ears (well, eyes I guess!).

Thanks in advance.

Tekken

12.jpg

Syphon Filter

2.jpg

Daxter

1.jpg

Metal Gear OPS

3.jpg

Ratchet and Clank
8.jpg

GTA Vice City Stories

8.jpg

Def Jam
8.jpg

Exit
8.jpg

Valkyrie Profile

12.jpg

Pursuit Force
3.jpg

Every Extend Extra
8.jpg

Killzone Liberation

4.jpg

to add on to above

Socom Fireteam Bravo 2
MeriStation_SocomFTB_%20%28106%29pe.jpg

Lumines
_Lumines2.jpg

MLB The Show
s28297_psp_46.jpg

Virtua Tennis World Tour
Virtua_445.jpg

Field Commander
field-commander-20060530065817467.jpg

Logitech PlayGear pocket, a good pair of headphones, and a bunch of games/maybe some cheap UMD's in your pocket and your set

[quote name='Dingleberry']and here i was just going to say Lumines in plain text...[/quote] But, but everyone was doing it.

offnote: The PSP truly is a portable playstation, these games definitely feel alot like toned down versions of their console counterparts, that isn't ripping the PSP but you will find the DS provides a way more different approach then the Gamecube and the Wii in someways

Field Commander is absolutely perfect and definetly my favorite PSP game by far. I'm planning on picking it up again for sure when it goes GH.

I'll just second a couple titles already mentioned that are my favs - Exit and Loco Roco. Both offer a very unique game experience to the PSP.

[quote name='javeryh']All you really need to enjoy the PSP is FW 3.10 OE-A'[/QUOTE]
and at least a 2gb pro duo

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No. PSP is the best handheld by far even without custom firmware.[/quote]

No way! I like my PSP but it's not even close comparing it to the DS - and not because of all the great DS games but because it also plays all the GBA games as well.

There are exactly ZERO AAA games on the PSP. There are a lot of very good games but no great ones, IMO.

If it wasn't for the custom firmware and homebrew apps I would have lost interest in my PSP ages ago...

As much as I don't want this to turn into one of "those" threads...

What do you consider to be the AAA games on the DS?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No. PSP is the best handheld by far even without custom firmware.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree with javeryh. I would have gotten rid of my PSP months ago if it wasn't for the custom firmware and homebrew.

Can't even remember the last time I played an actual PSP game on it. All I use is homebrew + emulators.

[quote name='icruise']As much as I don't want this to turn into one of "those" threads...

What do you consider to be the AAA games on the DS?[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of AAA games on the DS but the problem is they only hold your attention for about 2 weeks tops.

Umm, Mario something or the other. Yeah! Nintendogs! Brain Age!

[not that I actually own any of those ganes..]

Actually, every DS game I own isn't "AAA" by the books but "AAA" in my heart, and that's what matters! What makes the DS so unique is that no matter what your mindset, whether it be casual, hardcore, whether you agree with most video game critics, or whether your tastes are the polar opposite of the mass majority, there's a game on DS that you NEED to play, whether it be something as mainstream as New Super Mario Brothers and Brain Age or something as obscure as Puzzle Quest and Cooking Mama.

I mean, in the end, what does "AAA" really mean? How do you define it? Is Brain Age truly AAA? Is Nintendogs? Truthfully, is New Super Mario Brothers AAA? They've all sold millions, they've all received high marks from the critics, but are they -really- AAA? Perhaps because they're on a handheld and the MSRP is low, but what makes them AAA? What makes them, so much better, than say, Tekken DR or LocoRoco or Lumines or Daxter?

In my opinion, Nintendo didn't make mind blowingly superior games, it's not like you play Nintendogs or Brain Age or even Mario, then pick up Tekken or Lumines and whatever and come out saying, "OH GOD, Lumines fucking sucked, I'm going to go play some more Nintendogs"

Somehow, Nintendo just managed to strike the same chord Sony struck with "Parappa the Rapper" and "Crash Bandicoot" many years ago. Is there anything on Wii truly that much better than 360 or PS3? No, not at all, but once again, it struck that chord..that magic spot that somehow makes something a success

Anyone would agree that Mandy Moore is a better vocalist than Britney Spears, and she's not ugly either, she's quite pretty, but Britney Spears became a billionaire and Mandy Moore fell of the charts. Is that Mandy Moore's fault? No, not at all, Britney struck that chord once again, Britney struck that chord and hit it not just one time but again again and again and again and that's how she ended up being number one at the time.

The PSP does have AAA games with games like Monster Hunter, GTA, Metal Gear Solid, and Ratchet & Clank. They might not be games you like but they exist.

Puzzle Quest is on the psp too and looks and plays better too.

With that said, I love and own both systems. Like any competing game system out there, both have their good games and their bad. Their exclusives and their shovelware. The DS is more touchy feely and quirky and the PSP delivers solid console level gaming experiences in a portable form.

AAA titles? IMO - Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Locoroco, Lumines, Tekken.

Yes, I did say Locoroco, that game is *great*. IMO of course.

[quote name='javeryh']No way! I like my PSP but it's not even close comparing it to the DS - and not because of all the great DS games but because it also plays all the GBA games as well.

There are exactly ZERO AAA games on the PSP. There are a lot of very good games but no great ones, IMO.

If it wasn't for the custom firmware and homebrew apps I would have lost interest in my PSP ages ago...[/quote]

:shame: PSP> DS

I knew i was missing several games but one game i would never recommend is lumines. I hated that game so much it was boring as hell. But EEE was really fun.

In addition to what's been mentioned, both Burnouts, both DBZ fighters, Hot Shots Golf, GTA Liberty City Stories, Gripshift, Me and My Katamari, Megaman Powered Up, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Mercury, Sonic Rivals, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Twisted Metal Head On, Ultimate Block Party, Wipeout Pure, Work Time Fun.

Also, the Power Stone Collection, Street Fighter Anthology, and Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins

[quote name='TimPV3']In addition to what's been mentioned, both Burnouts, both DBZ fighters, Hot Shots Golf, GTA Liberty City Stories, Gripshift, Me and My Katamari, Megaman Powered Up, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Mercury, Sonic Rivals, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Twisted Metal Head On, Ultimate Block Party, Wipeout Pure, Work Time Fun.

Also, the Power Stone Collection, Street Fighter Anthology, and Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins[/quote]

\\:D/

Wow, PSP has alot of quality titles...

Im surprised it gets so much hate as it does.

I got my PSP for free. I stole it while I was working at Best Buy.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wow, PSP has alot of quality titles...

Im surprised it gets so much hate as it does.

I got my PSP for free. I stole it while I was working at Best Buy.[/quote]

:applause: :whistle2:\":whistle2:\":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::wave::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns::twoguns:

[quote name='javeryh']No way! I like my PSP but it's not even close comparing it to the DS - and not because of all the great DS games but because it also plays all the GBA games as well.

If it wasn't for the custom firmware and homebrew apps I would have lost interest in my PSP ages ago...[/quote]
Most people think that way, and are entitled to but its completely wrong in my opinion. If you do a quick look on gamerankings and compare the PSP and DS libraries, you will notice the top games are Mario Kart DS 92.3% versus Lumines PSP 90.2%. The range from 1-50 on DS is 92.3% - 74.5% (with Polarium being the 50th ranked), while the the range on PSP is 90.2% - 78.6% (with Mercury Meltdown being 50th ranked).

I personally feel that the titles for both are decent, and are about even in quality if you want to compare the two. Both have quality games, DS has better control and more originality, and PSP is light years ahead in graphics and hardware capability. I own both and a number of games good and bad for both systems, and I would take my PSP over a DS Lite any day.

Edit: I forgot some suggestions. :) Definitely a Logitech PGP, that thing is rock solid. Hot Shots, Lumines, the GTA games, Socom, Syphon Filter - all quality games. One game I never hear anything about that I LOVE for that system is Pro Race Driver 2006 - great sim with good graphics and control, although it gets a bit frustrating and/or difficult at the end depending on how good you are (I suck).

If you're using music or movies then you need at least a 2 gig stick and PSP Video 9 for conversions. The remote/headset if you like SOCOM/Syphon Filter will come in handy. Of course you need the Logitech PGP and probably a screen protector (I didn't breath on the thing until I had one :) ). Seems like the Hori is the best but hard to find. Avoid the Pelican protector. I had to settle for a Game Shark protector from BB- it's decent enough I guess.

A couple Altoids tins also come in handy for transporting games/ memsticks. Add a car charger if you need it, and you're probably set on the accessories side. Enjoy the PSP, it has definitely been a worthwhile purchase.

I know it sounds obvious but a cable to connect to your PC. Also I recomend using the sony earphones with any game you play as the sound is an overlooked superior feature of the PSP when compared to the DS. And if you have a wifi network don't forget to point your webbrowser to CAG and set up an RSS channel for the cagcast.

[quote name='davidjinfla']I know it sounds obvious but a cable to connect to your PC. Also I recomend using the sony earphones with any game you play as the sound is an overlooked superior feature of the PSP when compared to the DS. And if you have a wifi network don't forget to point your webbrowser to CAG and set up an RSS channel for the cagcast.[/quote]
Ahh, sound. Install some custom firmware on your psp, and run Castlevania Symphony of the night. Then listen to those lovely melodies as opposed to the blips of Aria of Sorrow or any other Castlevania DS incarnation, and you will understand....

Finally, I like my DS, and my psp for very different. They both have a great library of games, and regardless of what the DS folks say you will not find many of these games on the DS at the same level of quality. Games like Syphon Filter, MLB the Show (DS has zero quality sports games), Winning Eleven, Burnout (both versions), GTA (both versions).
You simply cannot go wrong owning a psp.

All I was saying was that the DS rules because it can also play all of the great GBA games. If I were to compare PSP and DS games directly it's probably a toss up - they have very different libraries but there are good games to be played on both systems. I'm not sure the DS has any true AAA games either but I know the GBA does so that's what I was basing my comments on.

I really like my PSP and there are a lot of fun games out for it but none of them are what I would consider to be AAA (except for possibly Hot Shots Golf which is still the best game on the system, IMO). The PSP has a TON of good B+/A- games available like the ones everyone has mentioned. Oh yeah, LocoRoco is probably my second favorite game on PSP - that game is seriously fun.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I too was a bit shocked at the # of good games for the PSP, given the perception of the system.

I take a fair # of flights a year and commute to work everyday, so I like having as many entertainment options available, hence my DS, GBA, and now PSP. :)

I agree that the GBA has a lot of good games, but using that to say that the DS is better than the PSP seems a little strange to me.

[quote name='icruise']I agree that the GBA has a lot of good games, but using that to say that the DS is better than the PSP seems a little strange to me.[/quote]

Well, I view the PSP and DS as kind of equal in terms of good games available so the fact that the DS also plays all of the GBA games kind of pushes it over the top for me. However.... if you get into custom firmware and load up NES, SNES and other emulators on PSP then the PSP would be my system of choice. Bah, either way you can't go wrong. :D

[quote name='Masterkyo']Sid Meier's Pirates is $20 at Gamestop/Ebgames.[/quote]

For those in the know, is it comparable to the Xbox/PS2/PC version as far as content?

I have it for Xbox, but it fell into the "never got around to playing it" pile.

[quote name='Walt Jay']For those in the know, is it comparable to the Xbox/PS2/PC version as far as content?

I have it for Xbox, but it fell into the "never got around to playing it" pile.[/QUOTE]
I didn't really like the game, but the PSP version is pretty much comparable from what I understand, and even has a few improvements.

If you plan on getting imports there's:

taiko drum master 1 & 2
I.Q. (the ps1 remake)
Bleach 1,2 & 3
Naruto
Tales of Eternia (European)
Dragon Quest III (European)

I just ordered an r4ds last week. Music, movies, homebrew, emulators, etc. My DS is a PSP now.

Both systems are great. I prefer the DS though because better games IMO and touch screen as well as cheaper.

bread's done
Back