So I just started playing Xbox Live (Help) EDIT: Problem Solved.

Chris in Cali

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (88%)
edit:It was the controller! Wierd though, the controller works fine otherwise, but the headset port was just dead I guess. It's 100x better playing on live now. Voice chat makes Live for me, and now it's kick ass.

....and I've never heard anything, but as to how great of a service it is, and I'm always seeing videos of people talking trash and stuff while playing Xbox, and it looks like fun. Well, today I signed up for Xbox live gold, and I don't know if I'm having a problem with it, or it's just a massively overhype service, but so far it's not been a good expierience.

I've played the following games, Call of Duty 2, Halo 2, Gauntlent, and THAW. Everyone of those games I've played not a single person has talked. At first I thought my headset was broke, so I went out and bought another one today, but still no one talked, and I seemingly could not be heard as well. So, now what I'm wondering is, is this normal, or is soemthing going wrong with my setup or what? To me the communication part of Xbox is what I thought would me it so fun, I mean without communication it just feels like you're playign against the CPU, so what's the point?

EDIT: I've actually finally heard someone talking, but it was just once and only for a few seconds, out of the hours I've been playing, and it only came through my TV speakers despite the fact I've set the voice to come only through my headset, and I still cannot be heard.

Also, I'm dissapointted with the way it's setup. Once again I don't know if I'm missing something, or it's just been massively overhyped. I always though when you signed up for Xbox Live Gold that it opened up new features, like matchmaking, chatrooms, makertplace stuff, ect. So far every game I've played over live just throws me into a lobby, and then boom into the game with minimal match settings at best. No finding other gamers by location, age, skill, ect. No real way to make friends without perviously talking in person or on the net.

So basically my question is.... is this normal, or is something going wrong with my settings, why can't I talk or hear anyone? Are the more features that make live into this great thing I always heard it was? So far it's been the equaivalent of the shitty PS2 online with zero communication, but I always thought it would be much much more.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Buy another headset, I'm getting laid all the time talking to the hottest ladies on Live.[/QUOTE]

If you read my post, you'll see I already bought another headset. I have two now, the one that came with my Xbox 360 premium pack, and the one I went out and bought today seperately.

You thought when you bought Xbox Live it would fill your friend's list for you? You have to meet people or send friend requests to CAGs. Most of the CAG people I've played with have been very cool (except for a few). Also COD2s Live service sucks. Get GRAW.

I've been a member of Live since the begining so I'll throw in a few pointers.

- I'm surprized no one was talking in Halo 2, usually you get a lot of people chatting in the game. A for the other games you tried, I havnt heard many people talk in CoD2, and I've never played Gauntlet or THAW on Live.

- Make friends! Once you get a good group of guys to play with, things become so much better. I made friends with some guys in GRAW, and we always play co-op games, making up crazy rules and just having a good time.

- Some games have more search options then others. Halo 2 has the matchmaking system, while most games have the search for a loby then join into a game. Sometimes you can search for precise things (such as skill of oponent), and other times just basic things like the type of gameplay

- Unless you cant stand the type of game it is...buy GRAW. There are tons of variants you can make with a game, and it's the most fun (IMO) of the Live games for the 360

you will meet ppl like that, but if you find the right people...eurica! most people dont talk at first unless somebody says something funny or topic inducing

[quote name='zewone']You thought when you bought Xbox Live it would fill your friend's list for you? You have to meet people or send friend requests to CAGs. Most of the CAG people I've played with have been very cool (except for a few). Also COD2s Live service sucks. Get GRAW.[/QUOTE]

I never thought it woudl fill my friends list, but I thought that there would be chatrooms, or match making based on location/skill/age, ect that you could find players to make friends with. My biggest concern is the lack of voice chat though. Like I keep seeing those videos people like these..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYTBYyPSEk&search=xbox live talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uclrGVlopVk&search=xbox doa 4

..Not that I really want to have conversations on this level of extreme enlightenment, but my point is that I've never heard anything even close to this at all. All I've heard was girl in Halo 2 say "Got that nigger," and it came through my speakers, despite the fact I have voice set to come only through my headset. I still can't talk to anyone, and don't even know how/or if I'm doing something wrong. One of my friend told me I have to hold a button or soemthing to talk, but I've tried and seemingly have gotten it right. I have yet to hear a single sound from my headset except for playing Manhunt when I was checking to see if it worked.

The white button is what you press to talk on Halo 2. If the checked for the sound to come through your headset, make sure it is set to that for the Halo 2 profile you are using. Sometimes it is checked as both instead of headset only.

In Halo 2, if you have the option for voice to come through your headset, the only voices you should hear through your TV speakers are enemies that are close enough to you for you to hear them. The only thing you should hear through your headset are teammates. And yes, you have to push either up on the D-Pad or the white button to speak.

And make sure your mute switch on the 360 headset plug isn't turned on.

"If you read my post, you'll see I already bought another headset. I have two now, the one that came with my Xbox 360 premium pack, and the one I went out and bought today seperately."
Yeah but with three headsets the ladies are bound to start chatting with you.

There's a small chance that the problem might be in the controller, where the headset is connecting. If it's not connecting properly, it'll put the voice through your normal speakers. Try another controller, if you have one.

Just remember, you will be called a lot of words. But as always
"sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

[quote name='Jek Porkins']There's a small chance that the problem might be in the controller, where the headset is connecting. If it's not connecting properly, it'll put the voice through your normal speakers. Try another controller, if you have one.[/QUOTE]

It was the controller! Wierd though, the controller works fine otherwise, but the headset port was just dead I guess. It's 100x better playing on live now. Voice chat makes Live for me, and now it's kick ass.

bread's done
Back