So i'm going to NYC next month, things not to miss while i'm there.

shady859

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
I'll be arriving early on a saturday before sunrise and be leaving tuesday am just after midnight. I booked my hotel yesterday and i'll be staying 2 miles from Times Square. :D BTW expedia and all those kinda sites are rips, i booked my hotel through the iloveny.com tourism site for $60 less than what it'd be for the same place through expedia..:roll:

Here's my big list of things to do so far:
-Statue of Liberty
-Empire State Building
-World Trade Center Memorial
-Yankee Stadium Tour
-Times Square
-Rockefeller Center
-China Town
-Brooklyn Bridge
-Central Park
-Intrepid Air Space and Sea Museum
-ride the subway :)
-clubs and bars

I'm gonna buy a 48 hour double decker bus tour pass deal. It picks up and drops you at 40 different places around town and runs every 30 minutes. It also just drives around the whole tour at night without stopping to let you check everything out that way. Costs $50 but at least you get to see the city above ground. Besides that i'll ride the subway and buses or walk around town.
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp?CODE=2625AL&ID=1010&PRODUCTID=1016&AUID=3845

The only thing that sucks is that it takes 17 hours to get there by Greyhound bus. Oh well I'll have to pick up some new gba games between now and then.

What am i forgetting about and any suggestions from people who live or visit here alot on what else to do while there?

At Times Square, there's a line to get theater tickets at a big discount. If you're into seeing plays, I'd recommend checking it out, just go really early, because everything good gets sold out really fast.

Hmm...remember to buy an unilmited use Metrocard for the amount of days that you're staying...you can save a lot of money but just using the subway and not using taxis. If you want to check out the latest in electronics stop by at J&R which is really right next to the Brooklyn Bridge. A lot of the things that you want to do are in sections so you should be able to get most of what you want done. I recommend visiting the MET if you have time (86th St. Stop on the 4,5,6 line), it's an awesome museum that I think no one should miss (I've seen plenty of them!).

For the grouping thing, um WTC, Brooklyn Bridge, CT and SoL are are walking distance from eachother (if you want the stops on the train to these places please PM me). ESB, Rockefeller, TS and the Air Space Museum are close to eachother too. If you want to check out the nightlife that NYC has to offer I'd go to Greenwich Village at night, nice head shops during the day! (Astor Place stop on 6 train)

I'm from NY and I go to school/work there -- DO NOT take the bus tour. It's like wearing a sign that says "Please Mug Me".

Get an unlimited Metrocard and take the subway to the things you want to see. Half the fun is just walking up and down the streets anyway. Make sure you go to Chinatown/Little Italy (same neighborhood basically) and if you're into sports take the MSG Tour (it includes a trip into the Knicks and/or Rangers locker room -- though it may be a Liberty WNBA locker room now).

[quote name='smalien1']I've been there!![/QUOTE]

Of course you have cause Luger's is the best steak on the planet! My favorite restuarant. Well my favorite was Sarena in NYC. Best japanese food on the planet(even better then Japan itself, believe me i lived in Japan). But they have since closed down. Anyway GO TO LUGERS!!!

Oh yeah, go to chinatown and go some gaming stores down there. I can name a few if you're interested. and hit up Defender's old store.

East Village is a great place to be for odd bars and such,
West Village is fun too, tho i think more expensive

St. Marks is where all the "cool" kids go, but there is a good bar there called Grassroots that i love.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Nintendo World Store
http://nintendoworldstore.com/

Eat at Katz's Deli (i think it's offa Soho in the lower east side)

wander around and look at all the fucking crazy people,

that's what i did for a week

IF you like art, try the Gugenheim . I think thats how its spelled.
Its an art museum that is like a continuous circular ramp upwards like driving up a parking garage ramp filled with art. Lots of cool stuff inside.

Or CBGBs if its still there. :p

fugazi_chichimon i see you live there, thanks for your input and i'll be pming you shortly. :D

[quote name='heyyoeddie']I'm from NY and I go to school/work there -- DO NOT take the bus tour. It's like wearing a sign that says "Please Mug Me".

Get an unlimited Metrocard and take the subway to the things you want to see. Half the fun is just walking up and down the streets anyway. Make sure you go to Chinatown/Little Italy (same neighborhood basically) and if you're into sports take the MSG Tour (it includes a trip into the Knicks and/or Rangers locker room -- though it may be a Liberty WNBA locker room now).[/QUOTE]

I thought about the MSG tour it's only $17 i already looked into it. Since i only have 3 days i put it lower down on my list put still a possiblity. And because the Liberty are there now and it'd be there locker room and there floor down in the garden. I dont know how long it'll take to get around and do all the stuff i wanna do... LOL about the mug me thing. :bouncy: I knew it'd be corny to all the locals but if it's nice outside it'd be cool riding around on top the bus and seeing the city. Biggest city i've ever been to is Cincinnati.:roll: I'm gonna get a metrocard for the days i'm there also because after 5 you cant get off the bus. It's sound like less of a deal than i originally thought once i type it out.:cry:

[quote name='Jrunt20x']Oh yeah, go to chinatown and go some gaming stores down there. I can name a few if you're interested. and hit up Defender's old store.[/QUOTE]

Where do they sell the knockoff stuff at in chinatown? i'm sure it's not on the main drag or maybe i'm wrong.

-Broadway shows are a nope, not my thing but thanks anyway. ;)
-Nintendo store is a go. :)
-Lots of different foods are a must. I can sack away some groceries. :lol:
-wander around and look at all the fucking crazy people. :bouncy: 4 SURE!
-Go help Cheapy pack :cool: I'm staying with him, i better tell him though.
-Conan I'll try on monday if i get shut out of SNL on saturday.:booty:
- Big TRU sounds cool
-and i'm down for the bars, titty and other :beer:
-and maybe a museum or something artsy ;)

Thanks all i'll take all the help i can get. Last time i took an actual vacation was 14 years ago and it pretty much sucked. I was a kid and we did what my parents wanted to do, go to Nashville.:roll:

[quote name='Jrunt20x']Oh yeah, go to chinatown and go some gaming stores down there. I can name a few if you're interested. and hit up Defender's old store.[/QUOTE]

yea Defenders old store was like a gaming museum compared to my crappy local shops.

if you go to a museum, go to the MET (if you're into old artsy stuff) or the MOMA which is just sick, it's so awesome you'd kick yourself if you didn't go.

If you're in the east village GO TO POMMEs FRITES!!!
http://www.pommesfrites.ws/default.html

DELICIOUS DIPPING SAUCE!

Stay outta midtown, it sucks.

If you want to really know what it is to live in a flamboyantly gay area, go to Chelsea. It's a lot of fun to walk around there and the restaurants and shops are pretty fun (and sometimes nasty and dirty), when i first got to NYC, i walked through chelsea and kept thinking why the fuck am i getting hit on by all these guys

a country bumpkin forever am i

china town! that place is the coolest so make sure you go there.
and also try to see something on broadway... it may be a little expensive but worth it

[quote name='mookiemeister']Don't forget to see some Broadway musicals and plays.[/QUOTE]

Go see RENT!!!! And, if you show up at the door, Tcikets for the first 2 rows (if you don't mind sitting that close) are cheap as Jonathon Larson believed everyone should have the opportunity to see the theater.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']RENT? bleh...

go see an upright citizens brigade show, or a Wooster group show[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yeah. UCB is the bestest.

[quote name='evilmregg']Oh hell yeah. UCB is the bestest.[/QUOTE]

yur a kitty cat, yu shut yur mouth! yu go MEOW!

get away from me with that poo-stick!

classic stuff

Check out Bryant Park - always good stuff there in the summer
And hit midtown - lots of crazy stuff in June (naked cowboy, naked cowgirl, spiderman, fleet week, etc...)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Go see RENT!!!! And, if you show up at the door, Tcikets for the first 2 rows (if you don't mind sitting that close) are cheap as Jonathon Larson believed everyone should have the opportunity to see the theater.[/QUOTE]

fuck Rent, go see spamalot.

If you are into shopping or something you should take a walk up and down 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue in midtown. There are some nice stores along there but they are expensive. You could also catch the Today show at Rockefeller Center on Monday or Tuesday morning if you are willing to get up really early... sometimes they have live bands and stuff outside too... There's so much to see and do in NYC... I also recommend buying the unlimited Metro Card for the 4 days you are in town and not taking the bus tour - it's way more fun to figure it out on your own. Go buy this book instead (or something similar): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764571508/qid=1117637051/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_b_4//103-5397560-5399828?v=glance&s=books&n=17371

I've never read it but I've ued other Frommer's guides when traveling and they are pretty good.

Here's something for the cheapass but I don' think it would help you on such a limited visit. It's worth a look though... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0762730374/qid=1117636919/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/103-5397560-5399828?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You may want to check the Natural History Museum and the Planetarium, both are in the same buliding, one admission price and whole lot to see, also I highly recommend the Central Park Zoo, its small and cheap but the best Polar Bear exhibit in the world, and close to the new Fao Schwartz, and while in Chinatown eat at Woo Hops, the original one that looks like a cellar.

bread's done
Back