So I'm looking for an HDTV for my apartment next year...Any Advice (37-46" range)

TheHapaOne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just wanted to get some advice on whats good, any deals you guys know of and if i should go 720p 1080p and also 60hz v 120hz v 240hz viewing distance will be between 5-10ft

Bought a Samsung LN52B750 last year - no regrets, in fact, very satisfied. Awesome in every aspect - games, movies, sports, primetime, ect... Specs include 52" that does 1080p w/240hz refresh rate. It also accepts a USB drive with AVI movies. The 40" model is LN40B750.

I would at least go with the LN40B650 which is essentially the same with a 120hz refresh rate, if not the 750. I would also wait just a couple of months until all the new LED & 3-D models are out. Typically you can save 20-25% off "last years model".

If OP waits "a few more months" for improved technology, they'll never end up with a TV at all. TVs are like PCs; accept that as soon as you buy one, it'll be outdated and move on. It'll do most of what you need, for at least 10 years, as long as you don't need the latest and greatest tech (and likely, you won't).

At your viewing distance and size, 720p and 1080p are likely to look the same; check out screens in store to see if you can tell a difference (but get a 1080 if you plan on connecting a PC a lot). You'll also get a better bang for your buck with a plasma over an LCD, and equal or superior pic quality, so I'd suggest looking at those. Use the money you save for a receiver and speakers - they'll likely contribute far more to the viewing experience than a better screen.

[quote name='darksurtur']If OP waits "a few more months" for improved technology, they'll never end up with a TV at all. TVs are like PCs; accept that as soon as you buy one, it'll be outdated and move on. It'll do most of what you need, for at least 10 years, as long as you don't need the latest and greatest tech (and likely, you won't).

At your viewing distance and size, 720p and 1080p are likely to look the same; check out screens in store to see if you can tell a difference (but get a 1080 if you plan on connecting a PC a lot). You'll also get a better bang for your buck with a plasma over an LCD, and equal or superior pic quality, so I'd suggest looking at those. Use the money you save for a receiver and speakers - they'll likely contribute far more to the viewing experience than a better screen.[/QUOTE]

are plasmas good for playing games now? because we always tend to leave the tv and xbox on while doing other things

[quote name='darksurtur']If OP waits "a few more months" for improved technology, they'll never end up with a TV at all. TVs are like PCs; accept that as soon as you buy one, it'll be outdated and move on. It'll do most of what you need, for at least 10 years, as long as you don't need the latest and greatest tech (and likely, you won't).[/QUOTE]

I would say that waiting a few months at this point is moreso to let prices drop/ stuff go on clearance as new models come out and to wait for the inevitable sales around the end of year. Not to wait for new technology. A good tv is a good tv.

As for a plasma, Panasonic makes some plasmas with a nice picture, but read this article beforehand.

By waiting "a few more months", I mean that since "last year's model" doesn't have the new hyped 3-D or 2nd year LED technology they will be significantly cheaper in a couple of months as each TV manufacturer releases their new product lines.

I bought my TV 11 months ago and you can get it now for about 40% less. This is the same pattern every year as each company releases their new model. Just like a car dealer making way for the new model, stores need to clear out the big TV boxes from last year.

I bought a Pana Plasma 42 2.5 years ago and I mildly regret it. I get some motion blur with sports broadcasts. Blu Rays and Hi-def programming look great. I haven't noticed any issue with black levels. There can be some slight ghosting when an image is left on screen--but it goes away.

At the time, I got a better price on this set than a 120Hz LCD (700 BF special vs. 1200 for 120hz LCDs right then) so I guess it wasn't all bad. I'm not a big sports fan. My current set will be a good basement rec room set when I get a better one.

I advised my in-laws to get a Toshiba Regza 120hz at the same time and they did (surprising cuz they are very cheap) and it has performed better than mine.

If I were buying a 42 right now, I would get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-REGZA...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274714442&sr=8-1

Damn, now you have me looking!

Look at this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-55SV6...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274715048&sr=8-4

bread's done
Back