So Im trying to figuire something out....

KillJoi99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, I am 16 and this is pretty much my first job. I am working at an ice cream store where Im being payed $6.50/h but the minimum wage in my state is $7 actually I think that might be national now. When I took the job they told me that it would be at $6.50/h and then they would re evaluate me and raised it based on that. It has been about 2 months now and Im still at crappy $6.50 an hour with no raise and working below minimum wage and I cant figuire out why/how. There are taxes being taken out of my paycheck every 2 weeks, so its not like Im being payed under the table or anything like that. And I definiatly know its not my performance, I mean for christ sake my boss called me today on my day off to tell me that I did a good job last night, and ALWAYS says you did a great job before I leave for the night.

So my question is why they can do this, and how. What should I do and what do you think about this?

If there's a tip jar then you're subject to minimum wage of food service such as waiters. Which is around $3.25/hr. This may have changed recently, but that's how it worked last I checked.

[quote name='anomynous']Usually you get raises every 3/6 months..........[/quote]

Yea, but the thing is, Im working below minimum wage.

First off, try spell check, it's your friend.

Without knowing what state you live in, it makes it hard to determine what rules apply to your situation. There are provisions in the minimum wage law to allow for a "training wage", which is a reduced wage under the minimum wage, under the idea of bringing someone into a job to train them to be a full-fledged employee for a 90 day period. Normally, it's for people under the age of 21, and it's only for a 90 day period.

Again, it depends on the state you live in. You need to look on your state's website and see what the laws are for your situation, or find a number for someone to talk to in the Department of Labor for the state you live in.

What Genocidal said

And ice cream places must like to pay under minimum wage, because I had 2 friends that got paid $1 under minimum wage, and there was no tip jar.....

[quote name='shrike4242']First off, try spell check, it's your friend.

Without knowing what state you live in, it makes it hard to determine what rules apply to your situation. There are provisions in the minimum wage law to allow for a "training wage", which is a reduced wage under the minimum wage, under the idea of bringing someone into a job to train them to be a full-fledged employee for a 90 day period. Normally, it's for people under the age of 21, and it's only for a 90 day period.

Again, it depends on the state you live in. You need to look on your state's website and see what the laws are for your situation, or find a number for someone to talk to in the Department of Labor for the state you live in.[/quote]

First off, there was one word that was spelled incorrectly in that whole paragraph.(I have Fire Fox spell check)

Second of all, thanks for the help Ill try looking into that. Also, we do have a tip jar, however it is under the counter and only get tips when people say "keep it" otherwise nothing is displayed.

[quote name='KillJoi99']First off, there was one word that was spelled incorrectly in that whole paragraph.(I have Fire Fox spell check)[/quote]

So, what did you think when you saw the red line?

You're 16 and making $6.50, be happy with that. Don't make me launch into a "back in my day" lecture. I'm 23 and only making $10 for being an undergrad research assistant.

KillJoi .. if I'm not mistaken you live in Ohio (which indeed is a $7 minimum wage). How long is that ice cream store open in the year? Is it 7 months or more?

[quote name='Maklershed']KillJoi .. if I'm not mistaken you live in Ohio (which indeed is a $7 minimum wage). How long is that ice cream store open in the year? Is it 7 months or more?[/quote]
Yes, indeed, I don't have a clue how you figured that one out though, lol. It is open from April-September(maybe October) because all of the eating areas are out doors.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Yes, indeed, I don't have a clue how you figured that one out though, lol. It is open from April-September(maybe October) because all of the eating areas are out doors.[/quote]

Ahh then this might be why ...

Sec. 213. Exemptions (Minimum Wage Exemptions)

(3) any employee employed by an establishment which is an
amusement or recreational establishment, organized camp, or
religious or non-profit educational conference center, if (A) it
does not operate for more than seven months in any calendar year

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm 23 and only making $10 for being an undergrad research assistant.[/QUOTE]

Dude, that sucks... I made $9.50/hr working at Target over a decade ago!

[quote name='shrike4242']First off, try spell check, it's your friend.

Again, it depends on the state you live in. You need to look on your state's website and see what the laws are for your situation, or find a number for someone to talk to in the Department of Labor for the state you live in.[/quote]

My first job was like that, where the first X number of days I was paid below minimum wage. It sucked, but it was just extra money, enjoy it or look for a better job, it's not like you pay rent or anything.

[quote name='JJSP']I counted four words misspelled.

Payed -> paid x 2
Figuired -> figured
Definiatly -> definitely[/quote]

Youre a douche. Spell check that.

Ok, Im kinda curious to why everyone's panties are in a bunch. I spelled a few words wrong in a whole paragraph and 10 different people get on my dick. As long as it's legible and not something like '1 1Z 1337 B1TCES WHT U GONA DO BOUT IT FOO?' Why should you care about a few misspelled words?

[quote name='KillJoi99']Ok, Im kinda curious to why everyone's panties are in a bunch. I spelled a few words wrong in a whole paragraph and 10 different people get on my dick. As long as it's legible and not something like '1 1Z 1337 B1TCES WHT U GONA DO BOUT IT FOO?' Why should you care about a few misspelled words?[/quote]

This is the internet. You should be used to these types of people by now.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Ok, Im kinda curious to why everyone's panties are in a bunch. I spelled a few words wrong in a whole paragraph and 10 different people get on my dick. As long as it's legible and not something like '1 1Z 1337 B1TCES WHT U GONA DO BOUT IT FOO?' Why should you care about a few misspelled words?[/QUOTE]

You're talking about people who have nothing better to do in life. How exciting can their life be? I think you know where I am going with this...

bread's done
Back