So I'm Visiting Cambridge, MA... What Should I Do/Eat?

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
My GF is attending an accepted students event so we're spending the weekend here. Anybody from around the area have any tips for sites to see or places to eat? I think I'm in the mood for pasta this evening.

So your girlfriend is one of those smartasses who got into Harvard or MIT?

There's a lot of cool shit to do in Boston/Cambridge. fuck, just walking around near campus trolling stores and restaurants should be an awesome time.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Go to the North End for pasta. Anywhere. Stop by Mike's Pastry for desert.

Weather is nice this weekend, you could check out the Common but the duckboats aren't out yet. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is usually recommended for tourists (I almost never go there), Dick's Last Resort is fun if you can take a joke (the theme is that the waiters are rude and insult you). Stay away from the Union Oyster House and the Barking Crab, big tourist traps with sub-par food.

If you want to impress the girl, you could do the Freedom Trail and see all the historical sites, and you could stop by the numerous museums, USS Constitution, or the aquarium. Might be a little boring unless you're interested in that stuff.

I don't know what kind of people you are, and its not my thing, but you could check out Harvard Square if you're into the... I don't know, the counterculture thing I suppose. Its very Cambridge, certainly the place to be if you're a man who wears makeup or enjoys a good freak show now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry dafoomie, I'm gonna contradict:

for the love of fucking god, don't go to Mike's Pastry. it's a tourist trap. it's not bad, but it's not amazing either - if you're looking for italian baked goods, search yelp.com for a lesser known place, with likely better desserts and DEFINITELY a shorter wait, compared to the line of n00bs at Mike's.

Since you're in Cambridge, it's worth walking around Harvard Square, but like dafoomie hints, it's a pretty faux-urban/hipster-consumer collegetown with an air of elitism, given that its, oh ionno, harvard kids? Since you're there with the GF, you might want to research LA Burdick or Sweet Cupcakes, both in Harvard Square.

As for pasta, like dafoomie says, hit up the north end for italian restaurants. avoid big-name seafood places, as they're likely tourist traps with mediocre food (to add to Union Oyster House/Barking Crab, stay away from Legal Seafoods).

The next subway stop from Harvard is Central Station, also considered Cambridge area. This place is odd, as it's very near Harvard, and houses several MIT/Harvard affiliated folk, yet is overrun by sketchass hobos and weirdos. However, there are a couple decent nooks worth checking out. Do your some research on yelp again, as I don't know what sort of places you're into.

Cental Sq. is where I work - and yes it is full of hobo's, drunks, abusers, etc. All right next to MIT.

You should check out around Harvard Sq. - all the college hipsters and young hipster professionals hang out there. Lot of stores, hip restaraunts, clubs, etc.

Also Newbury St., Prudential Center, and Copley Sq. are just a few train stops away.

If the weather is nice Newbury St. is someplace where all the people like to walk around, look at the fancy shops, eat at the outdoor cafes, etc.

You can also go so the Christian Scientist's castle, reflecting pool, and sprinklers next to the Prudential Center. I don't know if they filled the pool yet, but it something that people usually always stop by to see and give it an "ohhh and ahhh".

If you like Japanese food you should go to Porter Sq. and go to the Asian exchange mall. Some really good Japanese food there for relatively good prices. Porter Sq. is probably the next stop from Harvard.

Right after Porter is Davis Sq. Another kind of college kid / sort of hipster area because it is right back Tufts. Some good restaraunts (Red Bones, some diner I forget the name of) and a theater that occasionally shows independent films and stuff.

[quote name='Dokstarr']]
If you like Japanese food you should go to Porter Sq. and go to the Asian exchange mall. Some really good Japanese food there for relatively good prices. Porter Sq. is probably the next stop from Harvard.
[/QUOTE]

I've been there, that place was great. I'd forgotten the name though.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I've been there, that place was great. I'd forgotten the name though.[/QUOTE]
That whole area is excellent, my dentist is over there. I think that Asian grocery is gone though.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I've been there, that place was great. I'd forgotten the name though.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking Blue Fin. It's decent for sushi and not too expensive but Fugakyu in Brookline is the place to go for great sushi in the Boston area.

Just head out to Harvard Square, lots of good places to eat. Whatever type of food you're in the mood for, there's a a good place in the area.

[quote name='dopa345']You're thinking Blue Fin. It's decent for sushi and not too expensive but Fugakyu in Brookline is the place to go for great sushi in the Boston area.

Just head out to Harvard Square, lots of good places to eat. Whatever type of food you're in the mood for, there's a a good place in the area.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the mall, not any particular place in it.

bread's done
Back