so what is the best place right now to trade in games ?

firecloud134

CAGiversary!
i have a dsi and 11 360/ps3 games and i want to trade them in for a 3dsxl and the new animal crossing.

gamestop has this deal

Trade any 3 games and get $10 extra in-store credit, trade any 5 for a $20 extra or 7 or more for $35 extra

and

bestbuy has this deal

100% Bonus Trade-In Credit  

it depends on what your games are. You need to check the base trade value of the games at both places and then compare how much you would get with the bonuses. The 100% at Best Buy sounds good, but they drop base values during the 100% promotion and it's often less than the value with the 'normal' 50% bonus.

The Gamestop deal requires that each game trade in for at least $3, which a lot of older games (especially sports games) do not. If all of your games do qualify, you might need to separate them into two trades, one with 7 to get the extra $35 and one with 4 to get an extra $10. The register might do it in one transaction, but it might not. Just check the display or ask the sales person to make sure what bonuses you are getting.

A DSi trades in for very little money right now, but compare that too.

Just do a little research and keep your options open. You can trade in at Amazon too, and if you can get more for some games at Best Buy than Amazon, keep in mind that Best Buy sells Kindle cards which is the same as Amazon credit. I think Gamestop sells them too, but haven't actually seen a Kindle card in a Gamestop yet.

Bottom line answer, there is no best place.

so can anyone confirm this :

7 games + $35

assassins creed 2 greatest hitsps3   $5

demons souls ps3 $3

the withcher 2 360 $10

assassins creed 360 $5

dead space platinum hits 360 $10

ssx 360 $5

dead space 2 ps3 $5

so i would get $78 (in store credit of course) ???

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends on what your games are. You need to check the base trade value of the games at both places and then compare how much you would get with the bonuses. The 100% at Best Buy sounds good, but they drop base values during the 100% promotion and it's often less than the value with the 'normal' 50% bonus.

The Gamestop deal requires that each game trade in for at least $3, which a lot of older games (especially sports games) do not. If all of your games do qualify, you might need to separate them into two trades, one with 7 to get the extra $35 and one with 4 to get an extra $10. The register might do it in one transaction, but it might not. Just check the display or ask the sales person to make sure what bonuses you are getting.

Just do a little research and keep your options open. You can trade in at Amazon too, and if you can get more for some games at Best Buy than Amazon, keep in mind that Best Buy sells Kindle cards which is the same as Amazon credit. I think Gamestop sells them too, but haven't actually seen a Kindle card in a Gamestop yet.

The Register will automatically do the best promotion for a customer at GameStop one of the coolest parts about the systems.

Source: I do these transactions for customers just about every day and it hasn't had a hiccup in a while (for me at least)

Also most GameStop's should have $25 and $50 Amazon Kindle cards now as well as $25 and $50 Shell Gas cards.

The Register will automatically do the best promotion for a customer at GameStop one of the coolest parts about the systems.

Source: I do these transactions for customers just about every day and it hasn't had a hiccup in a while (for me at least)

Also most GameStop's should have $25 and $50 Amazon Kindle cards now as well as $25 and $50 Shell Gas cards.
Thanks. My only concern was that the best promotion is just one promotion. If the guy trades in all 11 games, I'm guessing he'll probably just get the extra $35 (which is the best promotion), but if he separates into two transactions, he should get $35 for trading in 7 and then another extra $10 for trading in at least 3 more. That's assuming they all meet the minimum $3 trade-requirement. I don't think the system is smart enough to do that, but I could be wrong.

I agree, the register system at Gamestop is generally pretty smart about giving the best promotion (but it's pretty bad at other things, like tax, refunds, mixed payment methods, trade cards vs. gift cards, etc.), but don't rely on it to do the best for you if you happen to qualify for more than one promotion.

so can anyone confirm this :

7 games + $35

assassins creed 2 greatest hitsps3 $5

demons souls ps3 $3

the withcher 2 360 $10

assassins creed 360 $5

dead space platinum hits 360 $10

ssx 360 $5

dead space 2 ps3 $5

so i would get $78 (in store credit of course) ???
yes, and if you had a powerup pro card, you'd get 82.50. and if those trade-in values are accurate. some of them sound kind of high to me.

Thanks. My only concern was that the best promotion is just one promotion. If the guy trades in all 11 games, I'm guessing he'll probably just get the extra $35 (which is the best promotion), but if he separates into two transactions, he should get $35 for trading in 7 and then another extra $10 for trading in at least 3 more. That's assuming they all meet the minimum $3 trade-requirement. I don't think the system is smart enough to do that, but I could be wrong.

I agree, the register system at Gamestop is generally pretty smart about giving the best promotion (but it's pretty bad at other things, like tax, refunds, mixed payment methods, trade cards vs. gift cards, etc.), but don't rely on it to do the best for you if you happen to qualify for more than one promotion.
I've never had any issues getting it to give $35 for 7 or more and $10 for 3 in the same transaction. I may just be lucky though :)

From what people have been saying, the system has a problem stacking the same bonuses. If you trade in 14 games, you should get the +35 twice, but the system doesn't register it like that. Instead you end up getting +35 for hte first 7, +20 for the next 5, and the last 2 wouldn't do anything. That's why everyone suggest that you do separate transactions if you are going to trade in a bunch of games at once.

I called bestbuy to see how much they would give me for the last of us. (+100% trade in)

it wasn't in their system so they couldn't accept it apparently

also couldn't find a value on amazon trade in.

Gamestop said they'd give me 26.....

I called bestbuy to see how much they would give me for the last of us. (+100% trade in)

it wasn't in their system so they couldn't accept it apparently

also couldn't find a value on amazon trade in.

Gamestop said they'd give me 26.....
Just sell it on eBay or Craigslist...

bread's done
Back