so what's the verdict on the pstwo?

Yeah, I'd like to know also. EB has mine just sitting there. I'm loathe to pick it up, however, if it's typical Sony first run hardware. I won't stand for it exploding in a month or two and burning my face off or, worse, giving me DREs of any kind.

I like mine... it has been tested and survived my stress test (10 hours straight of GTA: SA)... my only gripe about it is that it's a bitch to remove/insert the discs... I see [the disc lock] as the first, if not only thing breaking from constant use...

If these get DRE's its really going to affect my next generation console purchase. But so far I have not heard about any mass issues of DRE's on the regular improved playstation 2 so I guess only time will tell on this one

[quote name='Fatesealer']I like mine... it has been tested and survived my stress test (10 hours straight of GTA: SA)... my only gripe about it is that it's a bitch to remove/insert the discs... I see [the disc lock] as the first, if not only thing breaking from constant use...[/quote]

It's a mechanism like the Gamecube's disc retention system?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Fatesealer']I like mine... it has been tested and survived my stress test (10 hours straight of GTA: SA)... my only gripe about it is that it's a bitch to remove/insert the discs... I see [the disc lock] as the first, if not only thing breaking from constant use...[/quote]

It's a mechanism like the Gamecube's disc retention system?[/quote]

The GC's mechanism has way more 'give' than the one in the PStwo... it takes way less effort to remove a GC disc from the system versus removing one from a PStwo.

I like the system. Maybe I'm just a PS2 fanboy or something but I've never had a problem with the 39001R, the 50001, or the 70001. I've also been playing GTA:SA for a while on it. Probably around 40 hours now without turning the system off, just pausing ocassionally. Also the disc lock isn't too bad at all I don't think, just like the PS1's.

[quote name='phrostbyte']I like the system. Maybe I'm just a PS2 fanboy or something but I've never had a problem with the 39001R, the 50001, or the 70001. I've also been playing GTA:SA for a while on it. Probably around 40 hours now without turning the system off, just pausing ocassionally. Also the disc lock isn't too bad at all I don't think, just like the PS1's.[/quote]

Maybe I've been lucky but I have had the original PS2 (bought at midnight on launch day) and I haven't had a single problem with it yet.

And these problems aren't just limited to Sony. The first run of Xboxs had a lot of problems with "Dirty Disc" errors from faulty DVD-ROM drives.

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='phrostbyte']I like the system. Maybe I'm just a PS2 fanboy or something but I've never had a problem with the 39001R, the 50001, or the 70001. I've also been playing GTA:SA for a while on it. Probably around 40 hours now without turning the system off, just pausing ocassionally. Also the disc lock isn't too bad at all I don't think, just like the PS1's.[/quote]

Maybe I've been lucky but I have had the original PS2 (bought at midnight on launch day) and I haven't had a single problem with it yet.

And these problems aren't just limited to Sony. The first run of Xboxs had a lot of problems with "Dirty Disc" errors from faulty DVD-ROM drives.[/quote]

The successes also aren't limited. I have a launch Xbox (bought at midnight on launch day) and I haven't had a single problem with it yet, either.

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='phrostbyte']I like the system. Maybe I'm just a PS2 fanboy or something but I've never had a problem with the 39001R, the 50001, or the 70001. I've also been playing GTA:SA for a while on it. Probably around 40 hours now without turning the system off, just pausing ocassionally. Also the disc lock isn't too bad at all I don't think, just like the PS1's.[/quote]

And these problems aren't just limited to Sony. The first run of Xboxs had a lot of problems with "Dirty Disc" errors from faulty DVD-ROM drives.[/quote]

They aren't limited to Sony.. but much more prevelant. I also have a launch Xbox that has given me a total of two DDEs so far (and both were during Pirates of the Carribean.. probably more due to a terribly buggy game)

I'm more willing to give MS some slack, though. Their Xboxes are cobbled together from the parts of a lot of different manufacturers whereas Sony has their own production, facilities, don't they? If I'm wrong, let me know, but that means Sony is totally in charge of their own quality control, whereas MS has to trust that their third party vendors are doing their jobs.

Discs are pain in the ass to insert/remove...There's no On/Off swich (a real pain) you have to unplug it from the power cord AFTER holding down the reset button for a few secs...Haven't done any real "field tests" on it but besides it being smaller and including a network adapter I see no real benefit from it yet vs. my previous PS2 (Also you are not able to have a hard drive on it--which I could've scored for cheap a little while ago)...

[quote name='cruzincontrol']Discs are pain in the ass to insert/remove...There's no On/Off swich (a real pain) you have to unplug it from the power cord AFTER holding down the reset button for a few secs...Haven't done any real "field tests" on it but besides it being smaller and including a network adapter I see no real benefit from it yet vs. my previous PS2 (Also you are not able to have a hard drive on it--which I could've scored for cheap a little while ago)...[/quote]

Thanks. I just made up my mind. I'll keep my 5001.

[quote name='phrostbyte']I like the system. Maybe I'm just a PS2 fanboy or something but I've never had a problem with the 39001R, the 50001, or the 70001. I've also been playing GTA:SA for a while on it. Probably around 40 hours now without turning the system off, just pausing ocassionally. Also the disc lock isn't too bad at all I don't think, just like the PS1's.[/quote]

I had a 70001? the network bundle go out on me after two months... of occasional play. And had a nasty greystation 1001 go out after about a year and a half, when i bought it new in 96 :). EB refunded my ps2, so i have another here...6 months now no probs :p

As far as Disk Read Errors go, I got one out of the box with those. Never read a single game. I had to drive 80 miles (round trip) to get another new one.

Onto the issue of the Multitaps:
The PS2 and PSTwo have different controller port spacing so the multitaps aren't cross compatible out of the box. The PSTwo's controller ports are recessed about 0.1". HOWEVER. With a small philips head screwdriver, remove the two screws on the lower cover, pop the controller part off of it's tabs, pull it forward so the tabs are infront of the housing, and put the cover back on. And the PS2 multitap is PSTwo compatible. If you need to use it on a PS2, reverse the procedure.

My launch day PS2 is still going strong. Even after the time I shocked it into a coma. I was getting ready to insert a disc when I noticed some crud on the TV screen but I neglected to turn off the TV first. I got a good static charge zap from the TV and was holding the PS2 controller. The discharge caused the PS2 display to go black and it wouldn't respond to the rest button. I pulled the power cord and left it for a few minutes after which it worked fine.

[quote name='cruzincontrol']There's no On/Off swich (a real pain) you have to unplug it from the power cord AFTER holding down the reset button for a few secs.[/quote]

I'm still not sure why some people insist on turning the power switch on the back of the console off. All you have to do is hold down the reset switch for a second to put the system into standby. There is no need to touch the power switch on any model of PS2.

People are scared of power spike killing their systems...which is kinda ludicrous anyway since a signifigant enough power spike would kill any system plugged into an outlet whether it had a sleep mode or an off switch.

I've never had problems with my PS2, but I do think that the time it takes to initially load a disc has inclreased a lot since I've had it. That's not a big problem, though, everything else works great. And I leave it in the middle of the floor!

[quote name='cruzincontrol']Discs are pain in the ass to insert/remove...There's no On/Off swich (a real pain) you have to unplug it from the power cord AFTER holding down the reset button for a few secs...[/quote]

LOL, you unplug it everytime? :lol:

[quote name='cruzincontrol']Discs are pain in the ass to insert/remove...There's no On/Off swich (a real pain) you have to unplug it from the power cord AFTER holding down the reset button for a few secs...Haven't done any real "field tests" on it but besides it being smaller and including a network adapter I see no real benefit from it yet vs. my previous PS2 (Also you are not able to have a hard drive on it--which I could've scored for cheap a little while ago)...[/quote]

Oh no! You have to unplug it AFTER you hold down the reset button for a couple of seconds? You act like it's the end of the world. Mine never gets unplugged, it's always in standby mode.

I'm liking the new PS2. My other one was a launch console, and I just figured it was time to trade up for the price I paid. ($12)

I think I'm gonna end up going with the pstwo then, might as well at this point. I wonder if they'll have a final price drop after xmas though.

I keep looking at it but then I will be wasting my free HDD from FFXI beta. Is it me or is the HDD effectively a FFXI game disk?

Let's face it Sony finally had a chance to make the PS2 look good and blew it. 2nd generation consoles generally look better than the first (or at least different). 2nd gen. NES ... better. 2nd gen. Genesis ... better. It's still butt-ugly ... only smaller. So now you can put a smaller bag over her head while you play with her. :dunce:

I think it looks great. And yeah, the model is 70012 not 70001, I was just guessing. Also, you're not supposed to turn the system off, many would argue it's better to leave it in stand-by mode all the time. And about loading times, I think the loading times are helluva faster now, new faster DVD-rom?

I was going to get one until I found out that if you plug the wireless Logitech receiver in, it tips the system off balance! :x

The best part is that you can barely see it. Nobody has ever come into my house and said "That gigantic XBOX is beautiful" or "I really dig that purple Gamecube". It doesn't have to be pretty it just needs to not be seen at all.

[quote name='Hush']I was going to get one until I found out that if you plug the wireless Logitech receiver in, it tips the system off balance! :x[/quote]

Then get an AirStyle... :wink:

I personally love my PStwo, no more delayed game loads and it's a lot more quiet without the fan. I agree that they could've designed the disc lock a little better, I sometimes feel that it could chip away at the inner ring or the disc. Either or, I'm glad I made the investment...

I like the design of it. I always thought the PS2 was just slightly less ugly than the SNES and the PStwo makes up for it but I'll probably never get it as I have a hard drive also.

Anyone have the vertical stand for it? Does the disc lock make changing discs a 2 handed affair when vertical?

I have no problem at all removing discs from the system I dunno what you guys are talking about. I love my new PS2 the load times are better, its quiet and since I didn't have a network adapter so that is a plus. The one problem I have is that it is so light that i fear I am going to yank the cord too hard one day and its is going to nose dive out of my entertainment system

[quote name='jlarlee']I have no problem at all removing discs from the system I dunno what you guys are talking about. I love my new PS2 the load times are better, its quiet and since I didn't have a network adapter so that is a plus. The one problem I have is that it is so light that i fear I am going to yank the cord too hard one day and its is going to nose dive out of my entertainment system[/quote]

The load times are better as in faster, or just better because its more quiet without the fan in the back? :roll:

Time to bring this one back to see what people's impressions are of this tried and true Sony marketing tactic. I've had my PSTwo for 3 days now and am curious as to everyone else who has test driven it.

Pros:

Smaller
More quiet than any other model by far.
No bulky network adaptor.
No DRE's
Built-in DVD remote infrared receiver/Netwk adpt
Top loading

Cons:

No HDD
No I-link
NO MULTI-TAP backward compatibility
Awkward controller port and USB locations
Top loading

I'm very happy with my purchase of the new PSTwo. I had a launch model PS2 which still worked perfectly, But a trade-in value of $100 was too hard to pass up, mostly for peace of mind. The quietness and cool running of this new model was worth the price of admission, and knowing I would have a working and reliable Playstation for many more years to come made this trade-in a no-brainer. Hookup/setup was easy; I spent much more time unhooking the old one and getting it packaged.

My only gripes are the controller and USB placements. Plugging in the EyeToy into the centrally located USB ports creates an awkwad wrap around for the cable. A rear USB port would have been prefered. Also, it's so small of a unit, that a tug on the controller will likely pull the unit off the shelf if not bound by that extra Network cable to distribute the force. It's also slightly difficult to plug in the contollers becuase of the socket's ground clearance, there is none. I have to grip the console and tip it up to insert a controller. Some may hate the flip top loading, but I think it'll be easir to fix and less prone to damage.

I don't see any reduction in loadtimes. But there is less tearing during loading cutscenes and during gameplay in games like SW Battlefront, Killzone.

It has it's faults, but well worth a trade-in and worth the MSRP if you don't own one already. If you have an old one, I'm sure when this thing hits $99 you won't be able to resist either. That's when I'll be buying the 2nd one to finally network a GT game.

Oh yeah and one more thing and I'll say it loud so Sony can Hear it, IT SHOULD HAVE COME WITH A WIRELESS CONTROLLER !

I like mine. The only thing I can mark off for on it is that I think the open and reset buttons should be in the opposite positions. And, of course, the standby LED. I'm using the same electrical tape route to mask it off as I did with the PS2, but it's still annoying, especially with no power switch anymore.

Yeah, The LED is pretty bright. And I never thought about the open/reset switcheroo. That would be better, or at least more intuative.

[quote name='jmcc']I like mine. The only thing I can mark off for on it is that I think the open and reset buttons should be in the opposite positions. And, of course, the standby LED. I'm using the same electrical tape route to mask it off as I did with the PS2, but it's still annoying, especially with no power switch anymore.[/quote]

I agree with you on the button placement. The LED light I just got used to I guess.

The LED only really bothers me at night. I can't sleep well with that little red light on...watching me...plotting....

[quote name='jmcc']The LED only really bothers me at night. I can't sleep well with that little red light on...watching me...plotting....[/quote]

:lol: I sleep with the TV on, so I guess it doesn't bother me as much.

bread's done
Back