socal quake 7.29.08 magnitude 5.4, initially thought to be 5.8

Yeah, I felt it. Pretty crazy, I thought my brother was playing loud music in the other room because my whole computer desk was shaking. Heh. One of my brother just finished showering and my other brother was just sitting down playing FFXI on the computer, as if nothing happened.

My first experience in an earthquake, at least, not in my early peewee years.

I felt it, yeah. Strange thing is, while the whole house shook, nothing fell or broke. But my friend Manda in Riverside, who lives about 10 miles away, got all freaked out and had shit falling off the walls.

yeah it was very strong here, i had trouble just getting up and getting to a safe spot, it was very wild at first, then it slowed down but the movements were wider, back and forth a few times.
im in El Monte

Felt it, even when I was younger I remember the Northridge quake...Not fun, I was tossed in a closet with my brother :/

Alot of stuff fell off the walls, broke my piece of shit TV, and generally scared me half to death. I was shaking a bit myself for about 5 minutes.

yeah i was a kid back then, not fully understanding it, it was very scary. this one frightened me good, been hearing stories about how a strong quake will hit 99.9% sure it will be 8.0+ but they dont know when.

i thought this was the big one, and although strong, it wont make socal an island...yet

here's an update for the socal folks.....

The USGS reports a magnitude 5.4 earthquake struck approximately 29 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, near Chino Hills, CA. No major injuries or structural damages have been immediately reported. Preliminary reports of the earthquake estimated the strength of the quake was 5.6; it was later upgraded to 5.8, but the USGS has now revised both of these estimates, now reporting that the original quake was 5.4.
At this point, five major aftershocks, two measuring 3.8, one measuring 3.1, one measuring 2.8 and one measuring 2.7 have been reported in the aftermath of the original quake and were centered in the immediate vicinity of the original quake. Numerous smaller aftershocks have been reported and officials expect additional aftershocks to roll through the region for the foreseeable future.
Local officials report that all major infrastructure systems are operating normally at this time. However, minor damage to roadways and water mains have been reported on local roadways throughout the region. Localized power outages have also been reported.

at first i thought a large truck was passing by, but then it kept going for a good 10 seconds. my gaming shelf was shaking like crazy, and my first instinct was to hold it in place (hey it would've crushed a bunch of stuff =\) and then i went outside heh. still scary nonetheless.

I'm in the Valley, so all I felt was some light shaking. The unusual thing to me about today's quake was how long it lasted --twice as long as usual quakes/shocks-- and how the motion didn't seem to be just violent back and forth but almost a "gentle" circular sway.

I felt it...it was light at first, so I was all, "Meh," but when it intensified, that's when I hopped out of bed and went under a doorsill (though I hear that doesn't help anymore). Some tapes, DVDs, and figurines fell off--none of them secured to begin with--but no serious damage that I saw around the house.

PMed my friend in Chino Hills--gave her a good shake, but in one piece...nothing even fell out of place. My sister got a hold of my dad who lives in Brea, right next to Chino Hills--he said they were pretty shaken up, but they're okay, too.

I didn't really feel the Northridge quake back in '94...the last big quake I felt was the Hector Mine Quake a year or two later. But this one lasted a lot longer.

Ah, the perks of living in SoCal...;)

A few broken mirrors in my house. Lots of broken bowls/plates. The deck separated from the house (thats the worst of the damage). One of our ceiling fans is damaged.

*lives in Chino Hills

I was at school when this happened, it was mild for us. Everyone just thought someone was shaking their desk/chair. It was my first quake, so it scared me a bit because you always hear "the big one is coming!!" But it was kinda fun for me.

Also, is 5.4 a lot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at school as well when it hit. My friend was the biggest pussy! He jumped up and kept running around trying to call people. He lost his man card.

*lives in Chino Hills, but was about 100 miles away for work when it hit*

Folks in san diego were talking about the quake. One dumbass thought it was in the bay area, even though Every report said it was in chino hills... hah. At home, i find a couple of precariously placed items had fallen... no damage, hell, even my lavalamp managed to survive.

Funny stuff. wish i'd been able to feel it when it hit... stupid work vehicle and its squishy tires.

Also, didn't they have an earthquake yesterday also? I remember hearing something about an earthquake yesterday, or early this morning before the Chino quake happened.

I live in the Bay Area, so I didn't feel anything. But when I was playing TF2 this morning, people were talking about it during the game. I keep thinking about the movie Volcano when I here about earthquakes in SoCal.

One of these days, we're going to get one up here.

In Socal for work and it was my first quake. Wasn't too bad up here in Redlands. Just shook the floors, walls, ceiling fan etc. in my 3rd floor hotel room a bit.

Wasn't scary, was kind of neat to experience one I guess having lived on the east coast all my life (and thankfully a minor one with no reported injuries or major damage).

[quote name='shinryuu']... and my other brother was just sitting down playing FFXI on the computer, as if nothing happened.[/QUOTE]

FFXI will do that to ya...

And yeah, I felt it down in San Diego just a little. My mini booze bottles started shaking a bit on my mantle and that pretty much gave it away =P

Well, I'm glad you're all all right.

By the bye, it was just Cthulhu passing gas after a night of Chinese food.

[quote name='machoman_93']I was at school when this happened, it was mild for us. Everyone just thought someone was shaking their desk/chair. It was my first quake, so it scared me a bit because you always hear "the big one is coming!!" But it was kinda fun for me.

Also, is 5.4 a lot?[/quote]

5.4 is considered moderate, its not a weak quake by any means.

[quote name='Magehart']I was at school as well when it hit. My friend was the biggest pussy! He jumped up and kept running around trying to call people. He lost his man card.[/quote]

that is the responsible thing to do. Something a man should do.

[quote name='Sniperman']that is the responsible thing to do. Something a man should do.[/quote]

Wrong wrong wrong! You stay calm and collected for starters. Second you DO NOT tie up the phone lines. That's what gets people killed. It was hard to make any calls for an hour after the earthquake. In an emergency you need to worry about yourself and those around you NOT those you can have no immediate impact on.

If something tragic were to have happened at school nobody would have been able to call for help.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Was at work, our building is on rollers, kept on moving for what seemed like forever. The 2nd floor has some damage, the floor came up a couple inches in certain areas, my stupid company just put cones around it to prevent people from tripping :roll:.

On another note this may come in handy:
http://www.nwcn.com/sharedcontent/features/flash/quake/during.html[/quote]

Ahhh, I got 30%. When that quake hits the bay area, I'm a goner.

[quote name='Magehart']Wrong wrong wrong! You stay calm and collected for starters. Second you DO NOT tie up the phone lines. That's what gets people killed. It was hard to make any calls for an hour after the earthquake. In an emergency you need to worry about yourself and those around you NOT those you can have no immediate impact on.

If something tragic were to have happened at school nobody would have been able to call for help.[/quote]

you are absolutely right.
i did make a call or two though, well tried. i wanted to make sure my family was ok.

If you could think of the worst place to be in an earthquake, I think I was in one of the top 5.

I was on the very bottom level of a underground parking structure.

I was sitting in my car waiting for my gf to get out of a shop, window rolled down, so i could hear everything. I couldnt think of a worse sound to hear when your under millions of tons of concrete and metal. It was like the sound a stale loaf of bread makes if you would try to twist it in half. Cracking and popping, all of the car alarms went off, random woman screaming, a freakin pipe cracked and water was pouring on my car! Really? Seriously? It was like I was on the damn universal studio tour ride.
There was nothing I could do so I just sat there and hoped it wouldn't all cave in. If it did cave in, I think the city would just throw an "In memoriam statue" on the top and call it a day.

Insanity.

I was cleaning the house when the quake hit area (tustin, ca). it took me by surprise, but it was nothing serious. Some of my dvd's and games fell over but no damage other than that.

[quote name='joe2187']Felt it, even when I was younger I remember the Northridge quake...Not fun, I was tossed in a closet with my brother :/
[/quote]

Did you happen to be at a catholic church?

[quote name='machoman_93']lol, yea, the camera zooms out and Judge Judy is gone, and those 2 people were just standing there.[/QUOTE]I bet those two people were from out of town and never experienced an earthquake (didn't know what to do). The same happened to me when my area had an earthquake (I didn't know what happened, felt my mind was going crazy).

[quote name='machoman_93']lol, yea, the camera zooms out and Judge Judy is gone, and those 2 people were just standing there.[/quote]

Why am I not surprised Judge Judy did that lol! She was like "fuck all of you bitches, I am out of here!"

I'm in Fullerton, and I was in class when it happened. Pretty surreal to see people diving under desks and tables in the science lab with the model skeletons shaking like crazy on the wall. My first earthquake - no damage at my apartment, but a co-worker's 4-month old wall-mounted plasma didn't survive.

bread's done
Back