Social Groups are Going Away - Grab your Info

I promise you there is no alterior motive to removing them other than they are broken.

I'll make sure the warning message appears on every page in the social groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I just want to say my peace before the Social Groups are gone. I've been a long-time CAG member and CAGcast listener. I often came to CAG for deals well before I ever registered.

Way back in 2008, a few months after COD4 came out a few of us became "buddies" playing the Multiplayer on Xbox 360.  We basically hijacked the COD4 360 thread as our social corner on CAG.  We became a close group of friends with some of us meeting up at PAX and even traveling to meet up in real life.  We have continued to play other 360, PC and PS3 games together and we have used the social group area to stay in touch and talk about various games, deals, and personal life that we would not share in public forums.  It became our own little sanctuary where most of us would go to directly and completely avoid the main page of CAG.  We still supported the site by posting links to deal threads and purchasing/pre-ordering our games through CAG links.  Yeah, we can use Facebook and most of us are friends on Facebook that means we are going to a different site rather than yours.

We would greatly appreciate it if and when you could bring back the social groups in some form or fashion and hopefully in a better format than they exist today because since the CAG redesign they are very unfriendly leaving us inactive here and more on the less than desirable Facebook.

-flesh

Thanks for your heartfelt post. I promise that these groups are only going away because they don't work properly, and for no ulterior motive. I will continue to search out alternatives.

One thing you may wish to check out is the new Blogs system here. You can create a "private club" or "friends only" blog with a few different options on who can view the blog, post entries, comment, etc. That it's called "private club" leads me to believe it may meet some of your needs. If you have the time, please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Your Blog Settings
From the "Your Blog Settings" area of your settings panel, you can click on your blog name to manage its settings, including:

• Your Blog - This is general settings for your blog such as the name, description and whether it is local or external. You may also be able to change the view permissions. "Public" means all members that can see the blogs can see your blog, "Private Club" means that only members you allow can see your blog, and "Private" means only you can see your blog. Some of these options may not be available.
  • Your local blog settings - If you have a local blog, you can configure here various settings such as guest access, comments and trackbacks.
  • RSS Settings - You may be able to disable RSS, or enable an alternate RSS service here.
  • Customize the look of your Blog - You may be able to change the way your blog is displayed here such as the style it uses, and the number of entries shown per page.
  • Private Club - If your blog is in "Private Club" mode, you can enter who has access to your blog here.
  • Editors - You may be able to assign additional people permission to add entries to your blog. Enter the names of members who should have this permission here.
  • Your external blog settings - If you have an external blog, you can enter the URL to it here.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=10

All hail the Ragtag CAG's! Tell Wombat that's the group Thorbahn 3 and I belong to! Remember the episode when he thought Thor had no friends?

I second woodcan and MSUHitman's posts.  Really miss the ragtag social group.  

I really like the look of CAG 3.0, but other than the notification system I don't like the functionality as well.  No social groups, no easy ignore user option with in posts (have to copy name and go into ignore settings and manually paste it in and  enter it), etc.

Are groups gone for good now? The group I was in last night says I need a password to enter it.
Who knows? There was never really any solutions that was even remotely looked at, and it seems like groups are pretty much tertiary at this point, and maybe even further down the list of things CAG care list.

Hopefully if and when they do find a new system they'll do a better job promoting it as a feasible feature than they had done in the past because the majority of CAG didn't even know it was a feature you could utilize.

Sad to see groups gone; hope to see something replace it; eager to believe there is a solution; doubtful anything will actually happen.

If there is a usable Social Groups replacement, we will use it. If there isn't, we won't. It's that simple.

We have backups.

I know I'm late on this, but I know I tried starting a group or two when the feature went live and it's been so broken that I just gave up on it. In fact, it was impossible to even post a new message no matter how much I tried and even after John looked into it two or three times.

I say that because the fact only 30 people have a message posted to a group might not actually reflect the demand of groups on the site. A lot of us might have just given up on it since it was broken initially. I do think if a functional group feature were to return it would get a lot of use on the site, but I'm sure if it is plausible/possible then it will be implemented.

bread's done
Back