SOCOM 4 from ZIPPER -Out now! Now with 100% more PSN!

Saint Noir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
SOCOM 4 is coming 4/19/11 to PS3 from Zipper Interactive (who are returning to their baby!).

From the IGN preview... " The environments in SOCOM 4 are destructible, and building materials flew in all directions as a series of explosions ripped into the landscape. "

socom4.jpg

"SOCOM 4: US Navy Seals is a multiplayer third-person tactical shooter developed exclusively for play on PlayStation 3. The second release in the SOCOM series on the PS3 platform, SOCOM 4: US Navy Seals features an all-new Ops Commander character tasked to lead a five-member NATO special forces squad in a desperate operation in Southeast Asia. Game features include: dynamic command of squad members, an air support option, 1-32 player support online, support for both PlayStation Move and the DualShock controller, PlayStation Bluetooth Headset support and more."

SOCOM 4: US Navy Seals is a third-person oriented, squad-based tactical shooter. The game's single player campaign revolves around mission play and has players stepping into the boots of Ops Commander Cullen Gray as he commands four additional squad members, each with their own strengths and personality. The player can use this control over other characters to engage in everything from stealth actions involving classic, clean and quiet flanking maneuvers, to over-the-top firefights that rage with raw power. The choice resides with the player. Players also will utilize intelligence attained along the way, as well as special command functionality available in Command Mode to make decisions in the field. Online play involves additional play options and objectives and supports up to 32 players.

There is also a MOVE bundle. Beta phases are under way. Now for PLUS members, 3/19 for KZ3 buyers and then everyone else later.

BETA impressions from a non SOCOM fanboy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5uPZz-F4E

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking this might be the surprise sequel being talked about, looking forward to it after playing all the previous SOCOM games. Definitely day one for me!

Thanks for giving away what it was going to be on tonight. This wasn't the game I expected. I'm not really a fan of SOCOM,but I'll try it out when its released.

Since it's Zipper, I'll probably pick it up. I enjoyed the single player from the PS2 titles, and was sad when it was removed from the PS3 Game.

[quote name='jman619']Thanks for giving away what it was going to be on tonight[/QUOTE]

This just in...
Santa Claus isn't real.

I am glad to see about the destructible environments. I hope it carries over to multiplayer. I imagine it would, being part of the engine and all. This makes me want to grab Confrontation to practice with... I hated it when it launched though.

No co-op no buy. We know they can do SP and MP, but they have yet to do online co-op...

EDIT: I remember back when I was in the SOCOM 3 (4 was JUST announced!) beta years ago and there was one point where both sides were pushing for the same space. It was a river and on both sides there was a slope/incline of probably 30-50 feet. I was coming from the spawn and there had to be at least 20 people on screen, two trucks had just exploded after being hit by rockets, bodies were dropping and a Hummer somehow made it across the river towards the other side...it was intense. I remember literally stopping in my tracks and just taking it all in. And then I promptly died. But man was it awesome. Between the explosions, the smoke, the guns going off as well as grenades, I honestly think that was/is the best depiction of a war zone that I've seen yet. A few games have come close, but none have succeeded in beating that moment.

I think the problem these days is shooters focus too much on the 'cool' factor; points, leveling up, the objective, etc. All I was playing during that beta when that moment happened was deathmatch (or the equivalent in SOCOM terms, it's been awhile). Nothing all that fancy, just straight up having fun trying to kill the other team. I can only hope that they capture those moments from SOCOM 3 and the awesomeness of SOCOM 2.

Socom has NO COMPETITION. Today is an epic day! This will be THE BEST SHOOTER EVER MADE. I guarantee it right here right now. Godspeed Zipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Saint Noir']This just in...
Santa Claus isn't real.

I am glad to see about the destructible environments. I hope it carries over to multiplayer. I imagine it would, being part of the engine and all. This makes me want to grab Confrontation to practice with... I hated it when it launched though.[/QUOTE]

I know I found that out in the first grade...xD

Socom 4 wasn't the game I was expecting it to be. Better than nothing though. I'm only interested in the singer player.

Socom CA had online coop, and Socom 3 was garbage. No blood. I am ecstatic right now. Saint Noir stole my thunder by already making the thread :)

Hmm... I'm expecting a FAIL. I don't think they'll learn their lesson, but I'll keep an eye out. My PS3 seriously needs to be slightly less of a paperweight.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's got some real competition with Medal of Honor, BFBC2, Ghost Recon 4 and the next COD on the way.[/QUOTE]

Medal of Honor looks like a CoD poser. lol

[quote name='SynGamer']Let's hope they can get the old formula back...(SOCOM 2).[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I'm hoping for although I really don't have any faith in Zipper anymore.

I miss the days of staying up all night long because I was so hooked on socom 1 and 2. When 3 came out it just didn't feel like SOCOM anymore.

[quote name='Saint Noir']What did SOCOM 3 do wrong? I was out of the SOCOM loop by then. I tore up 2 though...[/QUOTE]

I believe they expanded to 32 (16v16) online. Added vehicles, took away blood, and made the maps about 5-10x bigger. It became *even more* of a campfest since it took a while to get where you wanted to be...

Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but it wasn't the same.

This new socom claims to support upto 32 players, key word being upto.

I honestly think we'll see the full range of classic modes and sizes as well.

Should be a great game.

Syn, that was easily corrected. After awhile most clan wars just did small maps, 8v8.

It was much better then. One of my favorite socom 3 maps was citadel small, god I loved that map :( Not as much as some of my socom 2 faves, but it's up there.

I love Confrontation being my first Socom game ever and now I'm hooked on the series. I am hearing about Socom 4 for the first time.... I think I just J***** in my pants. Excuse me I have to go clean myself up :p

I really don't get some of these shooter games, who rushes down the middle of the street and then starts a firefight... ?? GRAW had the same kind of trailer too... Who does that... ??

I'm definitely happy to see SOCOM making a come back... I just want the game to be good. I like SOCOM because of all of the equipment customization that you can have. I like that better than the arcade-ish perk(s) system that MW2 has.

This one surprised me. Of course, my first thought was, "Smiggity and m_d will be going bananas."

Insta-purchase. Maybe I'll play this more than I do Confrontation (which is hardly ever, even though I always feel guilty about not getting on more).

[quote name='silks']This one surprised me. Of course, my first thought was, "Smiggity and m_d will be going bananas."

Insta-purchase. Maybe I'll play this more than I do Confrontation (which is hardly ever, even though I always feel guilty about not getting on more).[/QUOTE]

BANANAS is right. I was hype when I saw the announcement

SOCOM 4: It's Official! Posted by Jeremy Dunham

Hello everyone, my name is Jeremy Dunham and I’m the Senior Community Manager at Zipper Interactive. I wanted to drop in and introduce myself and deliver some truly exciting news -- on behalf of everyone here at the studio, I’m pleased to announce that SOCOM 4 is indeed in development and is slated for release exclusively on PlayStation 3 this Fall.
Of course, as with any new announcement, what you really want to know are the details. Who’s in your squad? Where have they been deployed? What kind of threat are they up against? Though we’ll be revealing the answers to all these questions and plenty more throughout 2010, we don’t want to leave you completely in the dark, so what we will tell you is that a militant revolutionary has unexpectedly seized control in an important South Asian country. As the Ops Com, your mission is to command an elite five-man squad charged with stopping his aggressive agenda before it’s too late. In only six days, you must lead your team through a hostile jungle and urban environments against an army of well-armed rebel insurgents that completely outnumber you.
If that setup doesn’t whet your appetite enough, you should also pleased to know that in addition to the SOCOM’s single-player operation, players will also be able to enjoy a 32-person multiplayer mode that boasts more Special Forces units than ever before!
If you crave even more information, then the guys at IGN have you covered with their exclusive first-look preview at what we’ve shown so far. Editor and shooting game fanatic, Ryan Geddes, dropped by our studio earlier in the week to check out SOCOM 4 for himself, so be sure to read the full IGN article to find out what he thinks.
But wait! There’s more! As part of our continued announcement celebration, the folks at Game Trailers TV will air the world premiere trailer for SOCOM 4 tonight at 12:30 a.m. All you have to do is tune in to Spike TV when the time is right and let your eyes and ears do the rest. Don’t miss it!
Oh, and before we let you go, we wanted to send a message to our SOCOM and MAG fans all over the world. First, if you play MAG and wonder what this means for the game’s future, wonder no more – we’re still fully committed to supporting MAG for a long, long time and the addition of another game in our lineup doesn’t change that. Second, it's been great to hear from SOCOM fanatics located in every corner of the globe as we led into today’s announcement. We’re extremely excited to be attached to this beloved franchise again and knowing that so many people wanted us to return to something that already meant so much to us has been both inspiring and touching -- so thank you to all of you who wanted it to happen! We look forward to living up to your expectations.
You can disuss our upcoming game on the new SOCOM 4 forums here.

This will be the best shooter ever created. Ill use this second post to update things from the Forums, which I snipe out almost every day.

Here is so info on our Community Manager, who seems overqualified but it will be beneficial to us for him to be here. NO more slutbag Abigaile who plays World of Warcraft all day. Yeah, b/c WoW and Socom are so much alike.:roll:

1. How long have you worked/partnered for Zipper?
2. How many people on staff still exist from the early socom days?
3. Do you/Did you play socom? If so which one(s)? (tell us your favorite)
4. How long has Socom 4 been in the works? (I'm talking hands on)
5. Who is the lead desighner of socom 4?

Answers:
Hey there. I'd be happy to.

1. Six months -- before this I ran IGN's editorial department for two 2 years (2007-2009), the IGN PlayStation Team before that (2004-2007), and worked as an editor on the IGN Dreamcast and PlayStation channels before that (1999-2003)
  2. it's hard to put an exact number on it (because we haven't really counted), but it's a pretty big number. One of the great things about working at Zipper is that once you work here you don't want to leave. We still have a number of folks here who were around at the start 15 years ago.
  3. I did play them yes. I didn't play 3 or Combined Assault very much outside of just checking them out for my old job (had too many games to play/review at the time), but I played 1 quite a bit and thought 2 rocked. In fact, 2004 was a great year for gaming in general (ah memories).
  4. By the time it comes out, it'll be a little over 3 years. of course, S4 ideas have been floating around longer than that.
  5. Travis Steiner is the lead designer -- prior to this he did some work on MAG, SOCOM 3, SOCOM 2, Fireteam Bravo 1, and before Zipper he worked at Sierra on the SWAT series.

SOCOM 4 is just our working title -- once we've finalized the official title we'll tell everyone.

As active as I can be. I'm growing my community team now, but I won't be uber-active in the beginning since we don't have a bunch of info to expand on yet, and there's plenty to do on MAG. As we get closer to the release, though, and my team grows, you'll see Zippers show up more and more often.

The old thread will be continued as the S4 clan thread when that arrives. I just wanted to be ready, expecting some big news today.

BTW, Matt Cooke is a punk. Throw him out of the NHL

[quote name='smiggity']The old thread will be continued as the S4 clan thread when that arrives. I just wanted to be ready, expecting some big news today. [/QUOTE]

I'm not, it looks like its all going to be about motion control, unless Socom has support for it ;).

[quote name='smiggity']The old thread will be continued as the S4 clan thread when that arrives. I just wanted to be ready, expecting some big news today.

BTW, Matt Cooke is a punk. Throw him out of the NHL[/QUOTE]

Sure is. And the Bruins are a bunch of cowards. They better rip this guys head off when we play them next week.

[quote name='SynGamer']I believe they expanded to 32 (16v16) online. Added vehicles, took away blood, and made the maps about 5-10x bigger. It became *even more* of a campfest since it took a while to get where you wanted to be...

Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but it wasn't the same.[/QUOTE]

That is the way I felt too. That mixed on top of there was glitch after glitch on any and every map made the game frustrating since you had to learn to glitch to counter the glitching (kill them). I loved SOCOM 2 and barely got to play any of SOCOM 1 without the codebreaker issues, but when it was fair games it was great.

I will personally keep an eye on SOCOM 4 due to the huge disappointment I felt from 3, but this may just be the game to get me to buy a PS3 for myself. All the other exclusives I felt I could wait on, but I have tons of fond memories of my SOCOM 2 days and a few on SOCOM 3.

Yeah, the first two SOCOM's were great. I'm excited for this, I thought Zipper did a great job on MAG (and obviously the original few SOCOM games). I think if they take some lessons learned from MAG this could be an even better, more focused multiplayer game. Can't say I'm too excited for the single player but I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised in some way.

As long as it isn't similar to Confrontation then I'm sure it won't be half bad.

Did Smog start a new thread or something on Socom that got merged. I think he should've been the one to start the thread since it's his baby and he'll keep it updated. Either way, with single-player now included I might be more inclined to pick this up and actually stick with it. Learning to play as you go online isn't very fun.

[quote name='KingBroly']Socom 4 is going to support the one and only Playstation Move

:eyeroll:[/QUOTE]

Considering the precision it has behind it, I'm quite intrigued to see how it turns out. Would definitely love to see a $100 bundle for SOCOM 4 and Move...

Updated OP. If/When additional comments come out about it from GDC, I'll update further. Some reports say the accuracy was a bit off in the demo, but seeing as it is alpha stage, some slack may be required.

There is literally 2 seconds of gameplay in this video at the end... http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-sony/62921

EDIT - Here we are... http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-sony/62921

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5r_pdWoFrk

"I played SOCOM 4, a third person-shooter, with the Move pointed at the TV like a gun and the sub-controller in my left hand to command character movement. Wii games that were controlled with Remote and Nunchuk could be befuddled if the player pointed the Remote away from the screen. If you were playing a shooter and aimed just off the screen, the game's camera might start spinning or the game would pause and ask for the player to point at the TV again. The combination of camera sensors — the Sony Eyetoy on top of the TV detects the presence of the Move — and a gyroscope prevented SOCOM 4 from getting confused. When I moved my controller to point off of the TV, the gyroscopic sensors kept track of my movement. The same thing happened when a SOCOM developer blocked the Eyetoy camera. The precision of the controller diminishes in these situation. but the PS3 doesn't lose track of the device."

IGN Hands ON - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1076592p1.html

[quote name='Thongsy']Did Smog start a new thread or something on Socom that got merged. I think he should've been the one to start the thread since it's his baby and he'll keep it updated. Either way, with single-player now included I might be more inclined to pick this up and actually stick with it. Learning to play as you go online isn't very fun.[/QUOTE]

I dont know what happened. I birthed CAG Socom, I actually play the games and truly care about the series. And whomever the OP is, you dont deserve this thread since you did not struggle with Confrontation:lol:

[quote name='MisterBee']Yup agree with all of this 100%. Here is where the merge happened.[/QUOTE]

I've got haters. :lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='smiggity'] And whomever the OP is, you dont deserve this thread since you did not struggle with Confrontation:lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes I did, jerk! I just bailed on it pretty early as it was clearly an unfinished product that launched broken.

I'll update the thread as long as there is interest. Which probably means forever since it is a SOCOM game.

SOCOM 4: It's Official! Posted by Jeremy Dunham

Hello everyone, my name is Jeremy Dunham and I’m the Senior Community Manager at Zipper Interactive. I wanted to drop in and introduce myself and deliver some truly exciting news -- on behalf of everyone here at the studio, I’m pleased to announce that SOCOM 4 is indeed in development and is slated for release exclusively on PlayStation 3 this Fall.
Of course, as with any new announcement, what you really want to know are the details. Who’s in your squad? Where have they been deployed? What kind of threat are they up against? Though we’ll be revealing the answers to all these questions and plenty more throughout 2010, we don’t want to leave you completely in the dark, so what we will tell you is that a militant revolutionary has unexpectedly seized control in an important South Asian country. As the Ops Com, your mission is to command an elite five-man squad charged with stopping his aggressive agenda before it’s too late. In only six days, you must lead your team through a hostile jungle and urban environments against an army of well-armed rebel insurgents that completely outnumber you.
If that setup doesn’t whet your appetite enough, you should also pleased to know that in addition to the SOCOM’s single-player operation, players will also be able to enjoy a 32-person multiplayer mode that boasts more Special Forces units than ever before!
If you crave even more information, then the guys at IGN have you covered with their exclusive first-look preview at what we’ve shown so far. Editor and shooting game fanatic, Ryan Geddes, dropped by our studio earlier in the week to check out SOCOM 4 for himself, so be sure to read the full IGN article to find out what he thinks.
But wait! There’s more! As part of our continued announcement celebration, the folks at Game Trailers TV will air the world premiere trailer for SOCOM 4 tonight at 12:30 a.m. All you have to do is tune in to Spike TV when the time is right and let your eyes and ears do the rest. Don’t miss it!
Oh, and before we let you go, we wanted to send a message to our SOCOM and MAG fans all over the world. First, if you play MAG and wonder what this means for the game’s future, wonder no more – we’re still fully committed to supporting MAG for a long, long time and the addition of another game in our lineup doesn’t change that. Second, it's been great to hear from SOCOM fanatics located in every corner of the globe as we led into today’s announcement. We’re extremely excited to be attached to this beloved franchise again and knowing that so many people wanted us to return to something that already meant so much to us has been both inspiring and touching -- so thank you to all of you who wanted it to happen! We look forward to living up to your expectations.
You can disuss our upcoming game on the new SOCOM 4 forums here.

Other Info From Various Previews
PS3 Fanboy-
We quizzed a Sony rep if any tech from Slant Six's Confrontation made its way into the game, and he firmly said "no." We're not sure if that will reassure fans burned by the last PS3 SOCOM game, but it seems this effort is a clear departure from before.

PlayStation Move worked exactly as we thought it would, resembling the experience of playing a Wii FPS. Aiming is very fast and responsive on the Move, although I'm still much more skilled with analog sticks than I am with motion controllers. The early demo didn't include any promised enhancements, such as motion-controlled grenade throws, or the ability to tweak the aim "box" that's customizable in most recent Wii games. What SOCOM 4 did effectively prove, though, is that a game as hardcore as SOCOM can feel natural with the Move, as it only took minutes to finally get accustomed to taking cover and shooting baddies.

Interestingly, Zipper Interactive seems to believe that the Move and the SIXAXIS/DualShock controllers can co-exist online. While there's still a lot of work to be done on the game, the end goal is for players using either controller to play against each other online. Obviously, some players will be better with standard controls, while others will be better with motion. It'll be interesting to see if either side manages to gain the "edge" over time. Certainly, an online game of this scale can be an experiment in which controller truly reigns supreme.

Gameplay Video

Community Manager Info
This will be the best shooter ever created. Ill use this second post to update things from the Forums, which I snipe out almost every day.

Here is so info on our Community Manager, who seems overqualified but it will be beneficial to us for him to be here. NO more slutbag Abigaile who plays World of Warcraft all day. Yeah, b/c WoW and Socom are so much alike.:roll:

1. How long have you worked/partnered for Zipper?
2. How many people on staff still exist from the early socom days?
3. Do you/Did you play socom? If so which one(s)? (tell us your favorite)
4. How long has Socom 4 been in the works? (I'm talking hands on)
5. Who is the lead desighner of socom 4?

Answers:
Hey there. I'd be happy to.

1. Six months -- before this I ran IGN's editorial department for two 2 years (2007-2009), the IGN PlayStation Team before that (2004-2007), and worked as an editor on the IGN Dreamcast and PlayStation channels before that (1999-2003)
  2. it's hard to put an exact number on it (because we haven't really counted), but it's a pretty big number. One of the great things about working at Zipper is that once you work here you don't want to leave. We still have a number of folks here who were around at the start 15 years ago.
  3. I did play them yes. I didn't play 3 or Combined Assault very much outside of just checking them out for my old job (had too many games to play/review at the time), but I played 1 quite a bit and thought 2 rocked. In fact, 2004 was a great year for gaming in general (ah memories).
  4. By the time it comes out, it'll be a little over 3 years. of course, S4 ideas have been floating around longer than that.
  5. Travis Steiner is the lead designer -- prior to this he did some work on MAG, SOCOM 3, SOCOM 2, Fireteam Bravo 1, and before Zipper he worked at Sierra on the SWAT series.

SOCOM 4 is just our working title -- once we've finalized the official title we'll tell everyone.

As active as I can be. I'm growing my community team now, but I won't be uber-active in the beginning since we don't have a bunch of info to expand on yet, and there's plenty to do on MAG. As we get closer to the release, though, and my team grows, you'll see Zippers show up more and more often.

I would appreciate it if this thread does not get merged with the other one. I have put serious effort into building a Socom community on CAG and would like the opportunity to continue that with Socom 4, especially after the disaster that was the Socom:Confrontation launch. Thanks for your consideration

bread's done
Back