SOCOM: Confrontation *General Discussion Thread*

[quote name='MillerTime2523']fuck. I just went to fye and dropped $60... yet I can't even download the patch to play. great.[/QUOTE]I would have given you that warning early on, but just keep trying. A few games I bought, I wasn't able to download the patch either. There are some server issues now.

I saw the blog (from SOCOM) posted by SmogItUp, here's what I see happening:
-Server issues being fixed first.
-Freezing and bug issues fixed second.
-Features added last once issues get solved.

I feel 1Up did a fair review for the current state (but said they'll re-review):
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170791

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MillerTime2523']fuck. I just went to fye and dropped $60... yet I can't even download the patch to play. great.[/quote]

Keep trying dude. Their servers go down every morning from 8-11am for scheduled maintinence.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']When are you picking this up TMK?[/QUOTE]Probably 2-3 weeks (could be earlier if I see the right deal). I can't decide which version I'll pick up yet (leaning towards unbundled disc, but in ways I don't want to insert a disc). I just have to make sure I purchase a few other games first (my main wants) and assure I have enough $$$ left over (I should, but want to make sure).

I think im going to trade this in at Gamestop, and keep the Sony Bluetooth headset (sweet piece and high quality), Gamestop said it trades in for $16 (Coupon+Edge) makes it $25 (so pretty much like getting the headset for $35)

I'll pick this up, but I'm going to wait until it's all patched up. I have confidence that this will be one of PS3's best online titles once they fix the server issues/bugs, and add Trophies and Matchmaking.

In other words, I don't want to get punished for being an early adopter. ;)

[quote name='silks']I'll pick this up, but I'm going to wait until it's all patched up. I have confidence that this will be one of PS3's best online titles once they fix the server issues/bugs, and add Trophies and Matchmaking.

In other words, I don't want to get punished for being an early adopter. ;)[/quote]

FYI, it's been playable for me all but once since launch.

FYI, it's been playable for me all but once since launch.
That is quite the endorsement. It is playable - it has lag, it is difficult to join friends, people are still being dumped to the menu, the PS3 still hard freezes, there is no stat tracking, and entire scope problem is just weird . But it is playable.

I am also really enjoying this game and play it every night right now. The problems are real though and once my copies of Far Cry 2, and Fable 2 show up later this week, I am not so sure SOCOM will get much attention from me. Once Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 arrive, SOCOM will not get played if these problems continue and will be traded in.

finally got the patch working. as a long time socom fan, the game is awesome. I didn't run into many errors, but yeah. I'm satisfied with my purchase. an invite to the cag clan would be nice :p

[quote name='Zyzomys']
I am also really enjoying this game and play it every night right now. The problems are real though and once my copies of Far Cry 2, and Fable 2 show up later this week, I am not so sure SOCOM will get much attention from me. Once Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 arrive, SOCOM will not get played if these problems continue and will be traded in.[/QUOTE]I guarantee later patches will fix the game up, because Warhawk had TONS of stat issues early on and tons of game joining errors early on. I'm thinking by the end of the year it will be fixed. Sony out of most publishers has been supported of their online games (look at MotorStorm, Warhawk, and Resistance as examples...compared to Activision and Ubi Soft for support). I see SOCOM being a game people will ignore at first, but once all the updates come (such as trophies), people will be coming back to the game (who might have traded it in or put it aside).

Is this game worth getting a PS3???
Are you kidding?

There are many many good reasons to own a PS3. There are several outstanding games that are exclusive to the PS3 - but this is not one of them. Buy it for the Resistance series, Little Big Planet, Warhawk, MGS 4, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted ... etc. DO NOT BUY A PS3 FOR SOCOM! If this is your first and only game on a PS3 you will be disappointed..

Regardless of what other people say Socom is the most realistic tactical shooter out there. If thats what you want then yes, it is worth getting a PS3 for. People who enjoy tactical warfare will love this game. I for one do not enjoy the resistance series one bit because it is not real enough for me. Everyone has their tastes. Socom and MGS4 are THE reasons I got a PS3 instead of a 360 a year or so ago and am very happy with my choice. There is just nothing like Socom anywhere else.

Again, I am probably biased.

[quote name='Zyzomys']Are you kidding?

There are many many good reasons to own a PS3. There are several outstanding games that are exclusive to the PS3 - but this is not one of them. Buy it for the Resistance series, Little Big Planet, Warhawk, MGS 4, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted ... etc. DO NOT BUY A PS3 FOR SOCOM! If this is your first and only game on a PS3 you will be disappointed..[/QUOTE]If someone is a huge SOCOM fan, I would say yes once the issues get solved and things get added. For now, maybe not. I mean, one of my main reasons for buying a PS3 was for Hot Shots Golf games. ;)
[quote name='smiggity']Regardless of what other people say Socom is the most realistic tactical shooter out there. If thats what you want then yes, it is worth getting a PS3 for. People who enjoy tactical warfare will love this game. I for one do not enjoy the resistance series one bit because it is not real enough for me. Everyone has their tastes. Socom and MGS4 are THE reasons I got a PS3 instead of a 360 a year or so ago and am very happy with my choice. There is just nothing like Socom anywhere else.

Again, I am probably biased.[/QUOTE]I agree. The series is very realistic.

I'd have it right now if finances weren't a problem, but I'll still get as soon as I can.

I've never played a SOCOM game before, so the last thing I want to do is get it right now and then get a bad impression out of the box. I'll just wait until it's smoothed out some, since I'm new to the series and there's a ton of killer games coming out in the meantime anyways (LittleBigPlanet, Fallout 3, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, etc.).

Warhawk never had issues like this. I used to have problems joining games and some of the stats were goofy, but there were never any lag issues or bugs severe enough to outright crash your PS3. That's the kind of stuff I expect to see in the Home Beta, not a shipped retail product.

That said, I'm REAL interested in playing. It'll be totally new to me and I'm pretty psyched about playing it.

[quote name='silks']Warhawk never had issues like this. I used to have problems joining games and some of the stats were goofy, but there were never any lag issues or bugs severe enough to outright crash your PS3. That's the kind of stuff I expect to see in the Home Beta, not a shipped retail product.[/quote]

The problems are similar. And I remember countless times before they patched that warhawk would randomly lockup my PS3 and would have to hard reboot. There were many complaints about this. There was the ranking issue. Unable to join games because of false reporting on players ingame. It's a similar situation.

In contrast to that time, for me the several games I've played in Socom so far have been great. No lockups, no lag, no disconnections.

i'm loving the desert glory, frostfire, and xroads remakes. brings me back to the s2 online days.

now, how does the ranking system work here? all games except the official ones are unranked right?

[quote name='Zyzomys']...it has lag, it is difficult to join friends, people are still being dumped to the menu, the PS3 still hard freezes, there is no stat tracking, and entire scope problem is just weird . But it is playable.

I am also really enjoying this game and play it every night right now. The problems are real though and once my copies of Far Cry 2, and Fable 2 show up later this week, I am not so sure SOCOM will get much attention from me. Once Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 arrive, SOCOM will not get played if these problems continue and will be traded in.[/quote]

I think the lag thing is really unique to peoples locations or connections because I've had only a couple of times where I experienced lag at that was for about a split second...granted every second counts :)

I also feel the same about his holiday lineup (GoW2, COD:WaW, LBP, MKvDC) although I'm passing on Fable2 but I've got friends for which I bought SOCOM specifically to play with them so I'll still be around. I'm on the fence about Resistance 2 since I've still yet to crack open my R1 copy.

[quote name='neworlbush25']Is this game worth getting a PS3???[/quote]

Let's just say that I got my PS3 for MGS4 (back on 6/13 I believe). SOCOM was kind of an added bonus since I have several friends who are PS3-only that I've been wanting to play with. Although, I have to say that SOCOM has had the most playtime on my PS3 when I combine the beta and the retail copy. Despite the issues, SOCOM has been fun save for the night the servers just stopped allowing any games to start but there was a server path since then. The stat-tracking is not that big a deal for me since I really play for fun (I don't pay attention to the stats in COD4 either)

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I know this is online only, but are there modes where you can work with other human players to complete missions/fight AI enemies?[/quote]I don't think there is, but you'd like this game. There aren't those red diamonds lighting up all over the damn screen like GRAW.

So, a buddy of mine found out about a good idea yesterday regarding channel/game location. He put the channel and game he was playing in on his PSN ID comment so people on his friends list wanting to join him in SOCOM would know where to join when sending an in-game invite isn't feasible.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Picked it up B2G1 at GS. You guys play Sunday night right? If so I'll hop on and try to join.[/QUOTE]Yes, the group plays on Sunday nights.

By looking at your profile, seems like there would be another person to add to Team Michigan, lol. ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Someone needs to tell the OP (Nam) to make it Every Sunday at 10:30PM EST or something. SOCOM gets Sunday locked up, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

That works for me, I should be there tonight.

Yeah Starkkat is the OP. I asked him to switch it to me earlier. Either way we are on tonight and every Sunday at 1030 EST. I will post the server details here. I dont think I am going to do a private game this time though.

I tried joining you last night but your game was full (I was really late though so this is my fault). Hopefully I will have better luck next time.

The game ran really well for me last night. I joined a Canadian server and played several rounds of the game where you have to secure locations (drop a flare actually - cannot remember the game name). I joined in the pre-lobby and played ten rounds without any problems at all. The score came up after the final round and said press "X" to exit. I did this and got dumped to the XMB. It did not feel like a glitch so I am not sure if this is normal. It worked out last night as it was quite late, but I could see it being annoying if I had only played a couple of rounds and still wanted to play.

Really wanted to play with you guys last night but the wife wanted to play a few games of PAIN and by the time I started up SOCOM pretty much everybody on my friends list had moved onto other games :whistle2:( I ended up playing some rounds with randoms and I swear I like that they added that yellow cursor but I still think they need to fix the gun site perspective so that when it shows your crosshairs on someone outside a window/over a wall you actually hit them instead of the wall in front of you.

Yeah it would be great if they put the first person view in there for when you are looking out windows and whatnot. Wasnt that in Socom 2?
I didnt play long last night since only a few showed up. They really need to get the party system going so this can all be a lot easier.

Let me apologize in advance for being slightly off topic- I bought this game because I wanted to headset. I don't really have an interest in the game though. It's just not my cup of tea.

Does anyone know if Gamestop, etc will be buying this title back? Or is it like Warhawk?

I applied to the clan last night. smiggity, you should hit me up with a friend request so we could possibly play some games together.

also, I still dont understand how the rank system works.. do you have to be in a clan to get rank?

and last question, famas or iw80? I like the iw but I see people doing well with the famas online and I haven't tried it yet

I guess the Famas is all pimped out this time around (havent used it) but the CAG Clan gets the IDub. It works pretty well. Minimum recoil is crucial in CQ. I will hop on later tonight and add you for sure. I play pretty much every night unless I have company over. Fleshribbon plays a lot as well so you might wanna add him too. Yes, ranking is only gained while in a clan.

Also just wanted to put this out there that it seems /6 is really listening to the players even though they dont really acknowledge it besides their occasional post on the Official Socom Boards. But we asked for more ranked rooms and couple days later they put em up. I anticipate the stability patch this weekend and then the content (that should have been there at launch) will start to be added in the following weeks.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) want to be a co-leader of the clan? Meaning you can invite people and probably schedule clan matches when they get that up and running?

Hey guys, just so you know, this thread is for the Gen. Info & discussion thread related to Socom. Any CAG Clan discussion will need be be done in another thread, just like the other community titles are handled here in the PS3 Forums.

[quote name='smiggity']I guess the Famas is all pimped out this time around (havent used it) but the CAG Clan gets the IDub. It works pretty well. Minimum recoil is crucial in CQ. I will hop on later tonight and add you for sure. I play pretty much every night unless I have company over. Fleshribbon plays a lot as well so you might wanna add him too. Yes, ranking is only gained while in a clan.

Also just wanted to put this out there that it seems /6 is really listening to the players even though they dont really acknowledge it besides their occasional post on the Official Socom Boards. But we asked for more ranked rooms and couple days later they put em up. I anticipate the stability patch this weekend and then the content (that should have been there at launch) will start to be added in the following weeks.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) want to be a co-leader of the clan? Meaning you can invite people and probably schedule clan matches when they get that up and running?[/QUOTE]

The IDub isn't to bad, although some of the people that I was playing against said that it was the worst gun that is available to the clans. I don't know how true that statement was, but the guy said that what the strat guide said.

BTW, I've invited two people to the clan so far. The three of us tried to join your game the other night smiggity, but you had just gotten off.

I called it.

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since the launch of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation in North America, we've been working to address the server and stability issues in order to get them resolved ASAP. We have a team of close to 100 people working to get the issues resolved.

On the server side, we've been updating the SOCOM: Confrontation servers nearly every morning and we have not seen any major server access issues in the last week. We are continuing to optimize the servers and we've also started the process of restoring some game UI (User Interface) features which were disabled on the server side a few days after launch in order to reduce load on the servers.

On the game client side, we are in acceptance testing for the 1.20 SOCOM: Confrontation game update. As mentioned in my previous post, the focus of this patch is to address stability and serious playability issues only. The 1.20 update addresses many of the freezes and getting booted to the XMB issues. It also addresses the mass game boot (where many players are simultaneously disconnected from a game), the scope offset issue when prone or using the SIXAXIS
[/FONT]™[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] peek and other issues. We are doing all we can to get this patch released this week but a final date is still TBD until the acceptance testing is complete. Once we have a final date we will post it here on the blog along with a complete fix list.

We are committed to making SOCOM: Confrontation not only the best SOCOM game but the best online shooter period. We appreciate all of your feedback and support.

Regards,

Seth Luisi
Director of Development
Sony Computer Entertainment America
[/FONT]

bread's done
Back