Solid State or not?

keiblerfan69

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I am planning to build a new gaming rig in the next month or so. I want to hear everyones opinion about this. Should I get a small SSD and install Windows on it and then a normal hard drive for everything else? Open to other suggestions.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is cost an issue?

If so, then I wouldn't even consider solid state yet.[/quote]

I don't want to spend more then 1500 including monitor. My total right now before a hard drive and monitor is 1100.

No. Abso-fucking-lutely not. $200 (and that's all you'll have left after spending a couple hundred on a cheap LCD monitor) will buy you 120 gigs, tops, when you can get a 1 terabyte regular drive for $100 or so.

And it's not like SSDs are instantaneously fast or anything anyways, so it is absolutely not worth the money.

So, I repeat: No.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No. Abso-fucking-lutely not. $200 (and that's all you'll have left after spending a couple hundred on a cheap LCD monitor) will buy you 120 gigs, tops, when you can get a 1 terabyte regular drive for $100 or so.

And it's not like SSDs are instantaneously fast or anything anyways, so it is absolutely not worth the money.

So, I repeat: No.[/quote]
Um, SSDs are faster, though not worth it if cost is an issue. However, if the OP is planning on getting/upgrading to Windows 7, i'd get a small SSD for the OS and then a an HDD for games and what no. I wouldn't suggest 1TB drives simply because you're fucked if it crashes. If anything, get 2 500GB HDDs...

[quote name='SynGamer']Um, SSDs are faster, though not worth it if cost is an issue. However, if the OP is planning on getting/upgrading to Windows 7, i'd get a small SSD for the OS and then a an HDD for games and what no. I wouldn't suggest 1TB drives simply because you're fucked if it crashes. If anything, get 2 500GB HDDs...[/quote]

I was thinking of getting a 30gb for Windows and then getting a 350 for everything else. And yes I do want windows 7.

[quote name='SynGamer']Um, SSDs are faster, though not worth it if cost is an issue.[/quote]

I didn't say they weren't faster. I simply said that they aren't instantaneously fast, as some people seem to have misinformed.

I wouldn't suggest 1TB drives simply because you're fucked if it crashes. If anything, get 2 500GB HDDs...

I was just using that as an price comparison example, not a recommendation.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']I was thinking of getting a 30gb for Windows and then getting a 350 for everything else. And yes I do want windows 7.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's not a terrible idea, but I still don't think it's a great investment, at this point.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I didn't say they weren't faster. I simply said that they aren't instantaneously fast, as some people seem to have misinformed.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. People seem to forget that the rest of the computer has a huge role in your overall "hard-drive experience." The fastest hard-drive in the world won't do you any good if you're still rockin' an old Celeron and 256MB RAM. The hard-drive is only as useful to the point where the PC can accurately keep up and display the data coming in.

My recommendation - stick with the standard drives unless you're truly building something that's meant to be the envy of everyone in your zip code.

I'm not even considering one for my next build, which will be in Q1 2010. Unless prices come down to a dollar or so per GB. Right now they're around $3.20/GB on average.

Get the SSD for the OS, you'll enjoy the increased performance. You can snag a reliable 60 for $120 right now. By late '10 you'll be able to purchase a 250 for that price.

bread's done
Back