Some backwards compatibility thoughts

theflicker

CAGiversary!
With the limited number of current must-have Wii games, I've been primarily using my Wii as a Gamecube, my old one having pretty much bitten the dust. I know that there has been much speculation from the outset about a Wii2 or perhaps a Wii 1.5 at least as far as DVD playback and maybe a slight boost in hardware specs. What I was wondering was how much longer can we expect the Wii to come with full Cube compatibility out of the box? At what point will Nintendo stop manufacturing Wavebirds and memory cards and render those ports somewhat obsolete (at least in their eyes)? I'm reminded of the removal of the Digital AV out for the Cube.

On the other hand, these ports can and do serve other purposes that are Wii pertinent i.e. enabling 5+ player possibilities for the VC (Bomberman '93) and peripherals such as microphones and dancemats, etc.

Maybe when they stop making memory cards, Nintendo will enable Cube saves to be backed up to SD . . .

I don't know, just rambling.

I don't think that we're going to see an end to GC-backwards compatibility even with hardware redesigns. I also highly doubt any redesigns will come with boosted hardware specs beyond smaller and cheaper components.

I would like to see more memory save management features enabled via firmware updates. Some much needed features would be:

- GC saves to SD or directly to Wii (as you said)
- Better Wii save transfers to SD
- Direct saving from Wii games to SD
- Wii saves transferable through WiiConnect

bread's done
Back