Some price drops on a couple of Criterions over at DeepDiscountDVD.

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Truthfully, I'm not a 100% really sure if any of these films have had actual price drops, but if my memory serves me right, the ones I'm about to post were $20, at least that's what I believe they were at the last DDD sale.

The first one is the The Royal Tennenbaums. Excellent film by Wes Anderson. Very touching tale of an eccentric family (can't we say that every family is eccentric in their own way) full of its own problems coming together. Highly recommended. To me it's just lower on the totem poll of Anderson behind Life Aquatic and then behind Rushmore and Bottle Rocket.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BVD024022

next up is Chasing Amy, which also seems to have dropped. Pretty good movie by Kevin Smith. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I'll give credit where credit is due and he definitely deserves it.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BVD017244

Both of these movies have or were at least $20 and are now $13.80 with free shipping.

I didn't care for Tennenbaums that much ... and I don't like Ben Aflac (I know I purposely spelled his name wrong, and I also know it's not funny I was just bored). I'm not a DVD collector, but I guess these would be a good price for Criterion DVD's? I wonder what the value of the DVD's will be once HD-DVD comes out, and whether or most things will be re-released on HD-DVD format?

That's if HD-DVD even takes off. Remember SACD, DVD-Audio, Minidisc, etc etc etc. All formats which are higher quality than CD yet none of them took off beyond cult status at best.

I wouldn't worry too much about standard def DVD dropping in value for quite a bit. While a good chunk of films will be released on HD-DVD, there are far too many that I suspect won't be hitting HD-DVD for a long time if ever.

BTW they're releasing a new version of Chasing Amy like they did with Clerks and like what they're doing with Mallrats....unfortunately for me that means i have to rebuy all his films.

[quote name='Scorch']They've been that price for a while. Both great movies.[/QUOTE]

I could've sworn that they weren't at this price. Nonetheless, still great prices for Criterions and great movies.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']how often do they have that 10% off deal?[/QUOTE]

it's 20% off, and they have it twice a year. it happens around june and november.

[quote name='demomanTNA']That's if HD-DVD even takes off. Remember SACD, DVD-Audio, Minidisc, etc etc etc. All formats which are higher quality than CD yet none of them took off beyond cult status at best.

I wouldn't worry too much about standard def DVD dropping in value for quite a bit. While a good chunk of films will be released on HD-DVD, there are far too many that I suspect won't be hitting HD-DVD for a long time if ever.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are right it could happen. It's just too hard to tell right now. I am still thinking that HD-DVD has a better chance than Blu Ray.

[quote name='vgatchaman']BTW they're releasing a new version of Chasing Amy like they did with Clerks and like what they're doing with Mallrats....unfortunately for me that means i have to rebuy all his films.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine outside of a new HD remastering that the Criterion edition of "Chasing Amy" can be outdone. Maybe a newer audio commentary perhaps.

I still giggle at the first thing Kevin Smith says at the beginning of the commentary track on "Chasing Amy." "F**k DVD." Even funnier if you watch the apology intro to the film before hearing that. :lol:

The reason they're cheaper compared to other Criterions is because they are released in hand with the movie company (In this case, both are Disney....well..divisions of Disney).

Rather than releasing a bare-bones edition ala Rushmore, Disney just gives Criterion the right to handle everything related to the DVD's release.

The criterion release of Chasing Amy is actualy quite grainy if you look at it. If you've seen what the Clerks 10th Anniversary edition....that's what they're going to do with Chasing Amy....all this talk of Chasing Amy makes me want to watch it again....time to pop it in my dvd player!

bread's done
Back