Some tentative benchmarks for my Workstation laptop.. & a lil bit of gaming too..

xcopy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (98%)
Just got it today and installed several Benchmark tools.

I haven't updated my GPU drivers yet, so some of my scores are low. Will update in a bit.

I'll play/tweak it some more this weekend!

Anyways here's a side by side comparison of the NP9280 with the M1730.

wPrime - Anyone want to challenge this speed? :lol:

3DMark06 - Default setting run

3DMark Vantage - Defualt setting run - Check out the CPU score! :drool:

SF IV - Full screen - Default setting run

RE 5 - Variable and Fixed Default setting runs

Devil May Cry 4 - Default setting run

Far Cry

Need to figure out how to run this. I think I need the demo?

Crysis

Need to figure out how to run this. I think I need the demo?

My temps multitasking.

What's keeping my laptop cool.

I need a bigger desk!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Frogurt.man']Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound is a selling point for a laptop? WTF?[/QUOTE]

The i7 Quad Extreme cpu, my friend.

That's a desktop CPU inside a freakin' laptop. :lol:

That is a heck of a machine. Although you should get it with raid 0 configuration with the Intel X25 SSD. The hard drive you've selected will be your bottleneck, unless you go raid.

But, on the down side, have you ever used a Sager before? When I had my Sager NP5760 laptop, it was so noisy, as the fans were going at it at full speed to cool down the CPU and video card. The fans spinning up and down up and down were annoying too. Hopefully you do have a pair of very nice, noise canceling headphones to use with it.

Sager NP9280 (Built on Clevo D900F) Ultimate Custom Laptop
signature_Sign.jpg
:)

[quote name='SOSTrooper']That is a heck of a machine. Although you should get it with raid 0 configuration with the Intel X25 SSD. The hard drive you've selected will be your bottleneck, unless you go raid.

But, on the down side, have you ever used a Sager before? When I had my Sager NP5760 laptop, it was so noisy, as the fans were going at it at full speed to cool down the CPU and video card. The fans spinning up and down up and down were annoying too. Hopefully you do have a pair of very nice, noise canceling headphones to use with it.[/QUOTE]

Never, I always had Dell, but they just overcharge you for everything, so I decided to go with Sager this time to save tons of money.

I'll do upgrades with it once I receive it.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound is a selling point for a laptop? WTF?[/QUOTE]

what else are they going to use to sell it, the 3 minute battery life?

[quote name='Lice']how much is this thing?[/QUOTE]

$3,580

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']will the new one allow you to keep relevant posts in one thread? if so, i say get it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, sorry. I should have just updated. Will do so in future threads.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Ouch.... did you see this? GTX 280M is actually a re-branded 8800GTS, which is a 2 generation old card. Linked.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't concern me as this is not going to be a gaming laptop, but if it was. It will still run all the games at high settings with no hitch. (With Crysis though, you will get decent frame rates)

This will be for Solid Works and Adobe Products.

Basically it will kick ass in 99% of all pc games.

And every other application 100% peek performance.

So it's pretty much balanced. You'll see once I have benchmarks up. :D

Still, for $3500, I'd be pissed if I was duped into buying the GTX 280M thinking it's a mobility version of the desktop GTX 280 but instead I'm buying a $100 2 year old card. Pretty shady that nVidia took this rebranding a bit too far.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Still, for $3500, I'd be pissed if I was duped into buying the GTX 280M thinking it's a mobility version of the desktop GTX 280 but instead I'm buying a $100 2 year old card. Pretty shady that nVidia took this rebranding a bit too far.[/QUOTE]

No biggie, I see no major complaints from Sager and Alienware fanboys.

Also these laptops (Sagers & Alienwares) still outperform many PCs out there with similar specs.

All the components are user gradable also, so there should be no problems upgrading to better components in the future.

By far the Intel i7 975 Quad Extreme cpu will be good for at least 2 to 3 years+ for some folks.

All in all I have no regrets and can't wait to get it. :)

[quote name='Moxio']He's afraid of desktops, Liquid.[/QUOTE]

Can't take a desktop to a Lan party though. I'll build a kick ass desktop just for you next year. When the new Nvidia cards come out. ;)

Oh you can absolutely bring a desktop to Lan party, I even built one in Newegg's wishlist too in the sticky thread. It's just, you have to bring more stuff like a monitor and kb, and they're heavier.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Oh you can absolutely bring a desktop to Lan party, I even built one in Newegg's wishlist too in the sticky thread. It's just, you have to bring more stuff like a monitor and kb, and they're heavier.[/QUOTE]

How much did you spend on your desktop, $3,500/$4,000+?

If it was cheap I wouldn't care, but if I spend over 3k to 4k, that mutha is staying home. :lol:

as SOS says, you very well can.

I probably couldn't though, mine's at least 17 pounds. Damn heavy ass case.

EDIT: @ comment above, anyone who spends over ~1500$ on their desktop is a pretentious douche. Or they won the lottery.

i always tell people that dells make solid computers. heres why.

i went to a lan party once and brought my dell desktop. we had fun, played lots of CS and Worms and stuff, well we also drank beers, a lot of em. so on my way out at the end of the night i was carrying my desktop and i missed a step on my friend porch, my PC literally flew out of my hands as i fell to the ground and slammed against the concrete. i thought it was toast for sure, but i went home and nothing was loose, it booted right up and its still running today as my media PC downstairs hooked up to my tv.

I spent $1500 on my desktop, not counting the monitor, which was $200 at the time I got it. So that makes me a pretentious douche, 'cause I didn't win the lottery :)

My computer isn't a Lan computer, it's meant to stay put on the floor. But I can build a 10 lb Lan PC for $1200, or $2000 if you want an i7 975 in it. I mean, this case isn't that unappealing right? It is a smaller case comparatively to a mid tower, occupies less space, has adequate cooling, nearly unlimited upgradability (I'm talking about, you know, swapping out a motherboard), yet you can still take it to a Lan party.

You can make an 8 gig of ram, duel 4870, i7 desktop for under 1500. Anything above that is overkill IMO but if it's your money, go for it.

Here's my wprime, I dont have any other benchmark programs or Capcom games installed. CPU is a crappy C0 stepping i7 920 @ 3.78GHz (21x180). When I have time I'll see what my D0 i7 920 can do at 4.0GHz.

Direct link to screenshot.

wprime.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SOSTrooper']Here's my wprime, I dont have any other benchmark programs or Capcom games installed. CPU is a crappy C0 stepping i7 920 @ 3.78GHz (21x180). When I have time I'll see what my D0 i7 920 can do at 4.0GHz.

wprime.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ahh, your's is OC'ed though. :D

[quote name='xcopy']Ahh, your's is OC'ed though. :D[/QUOTE]

That's what a desktop CPU is meant to do. ;) No crazy people will get an i7 and run at stock.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']That's what a desktop CPU is meant to do. ;) No crazy people will get an i7 and run at stock.[/QUOTE]

True, but I'm on a laptop! :D Can you set your CPU to the correct multiplier, so I can see the actual difference?

Thanks.

bread's done
Back