Some Wii questions for HDTV owners...

spooie_redux

CAGiversary!
If you folks don't mind, of course...

1] What kind of HDTV do you own... Size, brand and is it 480p/720p/1080p?

2] When playing the Wii on your HDTV, does the image look worse, look better, or about the same?

3] Do you own the official Nintendo Component cables?

This is for an upcoming purchase of mine, and I need some backgrounds info and any info will seriously help with my decision.

Thanks. :bouncy:

1. Samsung LNT3242H, 32 inch, 720p.

2. It's kind of a mix, some things look better and other things look worse. Details are clearer, but jaggies are more apparent.

3. No, bought my cables from monoprice.

1. Samsung LNT-3253H (I win, yukine ;)), 32", 720p

2. I've noticed that in the channels, jaggies are worse, but in games everything's much nicer on the HDTV.

3. Yep, not sure they're worth the extra cost, but I got them for $12 during a Deal of the Day.

1. Vizio 32". Pretty sure it only goes up to 720p. I run it in widescreen mode in EDTV 480p. Virtual console games look hot.

2. Probably echoing others - things look sharper, but the jaggies can be a little more pronounced. Definitely worth it though.

3. Yes. Two pairs. Along with a generic pair from Psyclone. No real differences between the two, but the Psyclone plugs have a habit of falling out of the A/V ports, which is really annoying. The Nintendo set is a little better manufactured and looks a little nicer, but I don't think the extra cost is all that justified. But if you get them when they are on sale at Amazon, it's more than worth it.

1. Magnavox 32" 480p (I don't really know what model it is, it looks like a Philips with Magnavox stamped on, I picked it up cheap on Craigslist)

2. The difference between my 27" SDTV and this one is minimal when using component cables. It still looks amazing, although I prefer this TV just for the wider perspective.

3. I don't remember what I bought, but they were $15 cables at Target. Looks just as good as the official ones I would imagine.

[quote name='botticus']1. Samsung LNT-3253H (I win, yukine ;)), 32", 720p

2. I've noticed that in the channels, jaggies are worse, but in games everything's much nicer on the HDTV.

3. Yep, not sure they're worth the extra cost, but I got them for $12 during a Deal of the Day.[/quote]
Bah! The 53H is only slightly better, bitch ass nikka! When I was shopping around it was like $100.00 more for it, and the slightly higher contrast ratio and viewing angle weren't enough to warrant the extra dough in my opinion.

Old Toshiba 42 Projection HD
I think I'm running 480p

Picture is a lot better than CRT picture IMO.

Originally bought some cheap component cables but they didn't work because of interference. Got the Nintendo branded cable, everything works fine.

[quote name='yukine']Bah! The 53H is only slightly better, bitch ass nikka! When I was shopping around it was like $100.00 more for it, and the slightly higher contrast ratio and viewing angle weren't enough to warrant the extra dough in my opinion.[/quote]I don't think I even saw the 42H, so wasn't really an option. Sale price for the 53H was the kicker.

Not sure on model but 37" Samsung 1080p. Games do look better but as everyone has stated you really notice jaggies that you didn't before. Super Mario Galaxy looked amazing while LoZ: TP has a lot of jaggies. Guessing that is the difference you see in a port to a game made for the wii specifically.

I just bought the Gamestop universal component cable (Madcatz)-- how does it compare to the official Nintendo one? Is it really that bad? I'm thinking about returning it (still unopened) and might just opt for the official brand instead since I've been hearing iffy things about it.

1. Sony KDF50-2000E. 50" LCD RPTV. 720p.

2. Looks better than on my 27" Sony Wega SDTV it was on before.

3. Yes. Had monoprice, but had a bad set (lines on the screen) they wanted me to pay shipping, so I just said fuck it and bought the Nintendo cables at Best Buy.

1. Samsung LNT4065F , 40 inch, 1080p.

2. Like the other guys said. Some things look better some look worse. But I feel it's an overall improvment over SD TV. The court in Wii sports Tennis looks way better in HD.

3. I'm using some Nyko Component cables that I got for 20 bucks. I got them before people could vouch for the quality of the cheap ones monoprice is selling.

Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p

colors are more vibrant. details are more defined, but the higher quality picture makes graphical flaws stand out. some stuff is better, some stuff is not, but i'd definitely say it's worth it

yes, official cables

1. Panasonic AE1000U (1080p) projector and a Samsung 4665 46" LCD (1080p)

2. It's a very noticable difference when you upgrade to the component cables.

3. I'm using cables from monoprice and have since launch.

1. Toshiba 65" DLP Rear Projection HDTV 65HM167 1080p.
2. I was on a 27" SD Panasonic TV before, so it looks a lot better on my HDTV.
3. I'm using the official Nintendo Component cables and though I see some flaws when playing, Mario and Metroid look awesome.

Olevia 537H (Consumer Reports BEST BUY!)
Wii games look better, some VC games require aspect adjustment. Otherwise they look fine, if larger than one recalls (larger pixels make the individual pixels stand out more).
Nintendo Brand from the Amazon deal way back.

[quote name='foltzie']Olevia 537H (Consumer Reports BEST BUY!)
Wii games look better, some VC games require aspect adjustment. Otherwise they look fine, if larger than one recalls (larger pixels make the individual pixels stand out more).
Nintendo Brand from the Amazon deal way back.[/QUOTE]

1. Ditto on the 537H
2. Looks freaking amazing to me! (Struggled with GH3 not working but it magically just started)
3. Official Nintendo Cables

32" Sharp Aquos LCD, 720p

Definitely better overall, but the jaggies are more pronounced

Official Nintendo Cables

Sony Bravia V2500 40"

For a lot of games, I sit further back from the TV than when I play PS3 games. Helps reduce the impact of the jaggies while still giving a really sharp image.

From the homework I did on component cables for the Wii, there's no reason not to get the Nintendo brand. They're frequently discounted on Amazon, and the quality is better (if only marginally) than 3rd party.

bread's done
Back