Someone dumber than Gamestop employees - Gamestop customers

To mention the possiblity of business collapse in the face of the argument that credit at a store is somehow an infallable resource is hardly defending it, at least not in the context you're trying to place it. Stores, corporations, dog kennels all go out of business suddenly. Some right after posting record profits. I fully concede that it's unlikely; I do not concede it's impossible.
Please provide an example of a corporation with 5000 stores in over a dozen countries that went under within a year of posting their best financial year. It's not only unlikely that GameStop will close anytime soon, it is virtually impossible. Could it happen? Of course. But the possibility of that happening is extremely slim. The possibility of getting scammed is not. Again, people get scammed and ripped off every day.

I also concede that there is a chance of being robbed where ever you are, but as I have said: the chances are almost non-existant at your local Gamestop. If you want to celebrate someone who didn't even entertain the possibility of making his losses a little less painful by taking a chance and (*horror*) actually dealing with another human being, go right ahead. You have the same rights that guy did.
Again, a straw man argument. That's three in this topic. I don't know how I "celebrated" anything he did. I said he wasn't an idiot for not taking the TC's deal. Honestly, I think he was a bit silly for selling it for $160 in credit. $170 in cash wasn't too impressive, either. He could easily gotten more for it by selling it to a friend or family member. I'm sure he could of have found someone he knew that would pay $200 for a Wii. Then, again, maybe he couldn't, and that is why he broke down and brought to it to GameStop. Who knows?

Again, though, when it comes to the $160 (or $170) in credit or the $170 cash, I don't see one makes him an idiot and the other doesn't. Either is a shit deal for him.

EDIT: Also, how exactly does dealing with other people come into the equation? Do robots man the counters at your local GameStop stores? Either way, you have to deal with another person. Difference is, you know the person behind the store counter is not trying to do anything fishy.

you're all arguing over 10 dollars, seriously lol

and derailing this thread into a enconomic / buisness math discussion

EDIT: / paranoia discussion aswell (if he robbed you after you left ... LOL )

you're all arguing over 10 dollars, seriously lol
In all fairness, the discussion is not over the $10, which, if the one poster is right, is a non-issue, because the actual base value is $160. So, the person would have gotten $170 either way. The real issue is cash versus store credit. Though I don't think it is an issue, it could still be seen as a bigger problem than a $10 difference.

and derailing this thread into a enconomic / buisness math discussion
Well, again, with where the topic went, this is very relevant. If a store goes out of business or files for bankruptcy and refuses to recognize credit/gift cards, you'd be screwed.

EDIT: / paranoia discussion aswell (if he robbed you after you left ... LOL )
Again, I don't see how this is "paranoia." It's just common precaution. Would you call it paranoia to lock your door at night? Obviously not, despite the fact that someone actually trying to open your door is extremely slim.

[quote name='magiic']I honestly cannot believe this thread is still truckin'[/quote]

In all honesty, neither can I. I wasn't expecting it to reach this many posts when I made it, or to get to the point its at now.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Please provide an example of a corporation with 5000 stores in over a dozen countries that went under within a year of posting their best financial year. It's not only unlikely that GameStop will close anytime soon, it is virtually impossible. Could it happen? Of course. But the possibility of that happening is extremely slim. The possibility of getting scammed is not. Again, people get scammed and ripped off every day.

Again, a straw man argument. That's three in this topic. I don't know how I "celebrated" anything he did. I said he wasn't an idiot for not taking the TC's deal. Honestly, I think he was a bit silly for selling it for $160 in credit. $170 in cash wasn't too impressive, either. He could easily gotten more for it by selling it to a friend or family member. I'm sure he could of have found someone he knew that would pay $200 for a Wii. Then, again, maybe he couldn't, and that is why he broke down and brought to it to GameStop. Who knows?

Again, though, when it comes to the $160 (or $170) in credit or the $170 cash, I don't see one makes him an idiot and the other doesn't. Either is a shit deal for him.

EDIT: Also, how exactly does dealing with other people come into the equation? Do robots man the counters at your local GameStop stores? Either way, you have to deal with another person. Difference is, you know the person behind the store counter is not trying to do anything fishy.[/quote]
Please tell me the last time someone went in to Gamestop and were conned out of their Wii or their money by a confidence man.
As soon as your done with that please read up on what "straw man" argument actually means. The only one using it seems to be you.
And please, for the love of god, it's should HAVE not should OF.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']In all fairness, the discussion is not over the $10, which, if the one poster is right, is a non-issue, because the actual base value is $160. So, the person would have gotten $170 either way. The real issue is cash versus store credit. Though I don't think it is an issue, it could still be seen as a bigger problem than a $10 difference.

Well, again, with where the topic went, this is very relevant. If a store goes out of business or files for bankruptcy and refuses to recognize credit/gift cards, you'd be screwed.

Again, I don't see how this is "paranoia." It's just common precaution. Would you call it paranoia to lock your door at night? Obviously not, despite the fact that someone actually trying to open your door is extremely slim.[/QUOTE]

If that's common precaution I honestly think you're worrying too much lol but hey either way I still think the huge amount of idiots that's posting are quite hilarious

"what if he robs you of your 160 when you leave the store" LOL

putting paranoid thoughts against the idea of a customer paying you 10 dollars extra for a wii console with missing contents is retarded enough to make myself think have you guys learned certain common sense

Please tell me the last time someone went in to Gamestop and were conned out of their Wii or their money by a confidence man.

That's a just a childish attempt to avoid doing what I asked you to do, namely telling me about a corporation that closed its door within a year of posting record financial numbers. It is quite easy to look up information on businesses. I don't exactly have access to every police blotter throughout the country or world. Also, narrowing it to one store is just silly. Obviously, there aren't hundreds of people who get conned at a GameStop. That doesn't mean you should just act like it can't happen or never will happen.

As soon as your done with that please read up on what "straw man" argument actually means. The only one using it seems to be you.

I studied philosophy for four years, so I know what a straw man argument is. It is a distortion of a person's actual stance. That's all you have done throughout this topic. You have either twisted things I said or simply made up stuff, in order to make your own arguments look better.

And please, for the love of god, it's should HAVE not should OF.

Again, another childish attempt to divert attention away from the actual discussion. Do you really feel a need to correct grammar? Well, I guess, when you've been argued under the table, that's all you really have to resort to.

putting paranoid thoughts against the idea of a customer paying you 10 dollars extra for a wii console with missing contents is retarded enough to make myself think have you guys learned certain common sense
Yes, the numerous people who said that the guy was better off taking the credit...we're all retarded and lack common sense. No one in the history of the world has ever been robbed or conned...ever...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yes, the numerous people who said that the guy was better off taking the credit...we're all retarded and lack common sense. No one in the history of the world has ever been robbed or conned...ever...[/QUOTE]

Are you bored? You can help me really, Like to help me write my 5 page report about Mid Eastern Geography? I'm assuming you do have alot of time on your hand to analyze everyone's post and giving them a quite accurate response to every single post "intelligently" (could've been mispelled I'm quite stupid sorry :)"

[quote name='pulsar0510']Please tell me the last time someone went in to Gamestop and were conned out of their Wii or their money by a confidence man.
And please, for the love of god, it's should HAVE not should OF.[/quote]

It happened the other day to a poster (slidecage I think...)

The salesman told the customer that the machine was down, but he could accept cash (and gave no receipt). When the customer tried to return the game because it didn't work, there was no record of it in the computer and he was told the actual price was actually a few bucks less then what he paid.

IE - the employee pocketed the cash

[quote name='Kapwanil']If he was in an extreme rush and needed to get of there as fast as possible. Waiting for someone to hit an ATM can be fast as all get-out but others...oh lord, no.[/quote]

Great point.

[quote name='Segasonic01']wow, I didn't know that some people on these boards have such little common sense that they dont realize $170 in cash is better than 160 in credit.[/quote]

That's true, but on the same note, the OP made a shitty, greedy offer and got turned down. Stupid bangs into stupid. Stupid wins.

[quote name='pulsar0510']
And please, for the love of god, it's should HAVE not should OF.[/quote]

You used the wrong form of "your." Should be "you're" which is a contraction for "you are."

Anyhoooo, I think if the OP simply would not have called the Wii owner a "moron," or led off with all the "dumber than Gamestop employees" stuff or recounted their little coffee clatch when the Gamestop breakfast club piled on the Wii owner, calling him a "jackass" and such, this thread would have lasted about 10 replies, most of which would have agreed with the OP.

Some people would have taken the deal, some would not have. OP, I see your point but you immediately put everyone who would not have taken your deal for whatever reasons on the defensive by using the derogatory terms and characterizations.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']That's a just a childish attempt to avoid doing what I asked you to do, namely telling me about a corporation that closed its door within a year of posting record financial numbers. It is quite easy to look up information on businesses. I don't exactly have access to every police blotter throughout the country or world. Also, narrowing it to one store is just silly. Obviously, there aren't hundreds of people who get conned at a GameStop. That doesn't mean you should just act like it can't happen or never will happen.

I studied philosophy for four years, so I know what a straw man argument is. It is a distortion of a person's actual stance. That's all you have done throughout this topic. You have either twisted things I said or simply made up stuff, in order to make your own arguments look better.

Again, another childish attempt to divert attention away from the actual discussion. Do you really feel a need to correct grammar? Well, I guess, when you've been argued under the table, that's all you really have to resort to.[/quote]
:lol:
While I am sure you are a big star on the interweb, you aren't impressing me.
The topic was whether it was thought that the man in the presented scenario was an idiot. In my opinion he was and the facts bear that out:
Man enters Gamestop to trade in Wii: Idiot move number one(IMO).
Man is offered cash bonus by customer for Wii. He refuses without further negotiation: Idiot move number 2(IMO).
Whether you agree with my assesmet or not the fact remains that cash is better than credit. Gamestops P&L statement can't overcome that simple fact.
I haven't been diverting anything nor made anything up. I merely presented a hypothetical situation which you appear to have taken personally. I also haven't taken your posts apart line by line (read:taken out of context) and selectively replied to what you have said, one of the hallmarks of the straw man argument. Your sanctimonius tone was the only reason I pointed out you grammatical error.

[quote name='Visc']..., it sucks that someone can be as stupid as that customer.[/quote]

Maybe the system wasn't working and he'd rather screw over Gamestop than screw over some unsuspecting guy that obviously hangs out at Gamestop too much....

Maybe the guy wanted to use the credit towards something specific and he knew that much cash would burn a hole in his pocket...

Maybe there are other reasons why someone makes a decision that aren't directly obvious to you...

[quote name='camoor']It happened the other day to a poster (slidecage I think...)

The salesman told the customer that the machine was down, but he could accept cash (and gave no receipt). When the customer tried to return the game because it didn't work, there was no record of it in the computer and he was told the actual price was actually a few bucks less then what he paid.

IE - the employee pocketed the cash[/quote]
I think that was at a gamecrazy though and not a gamestop.

[quote name='magiic']I honestly cannot believe this thread is still truckin'[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing today.:cold:

So, just to sum the thread up..

Visc :nottalking: doesn't get a Wii with no controllers or games for $170. Gamestop :whee: gives the guy $160 for it and he takes it.

11 pages of: "IT'S 10 DOLLARS!!!1oneonesix" :argue:

Granted, this guy was a little off for not taking the extra cash, but chances are that he was a little intimidated by your offer, especially since he doesn't know who you are or what you're going to do with the console (doesn't matter, I know). He specifically went to the Gamestop to trade it in which means that he knows of Gamestop and felt comfortable in there.

[quote name='naes']Why is everyone completely missing the fact that GameStop gave him $170 and not $160?[/QUOTE]

Why do you keep bringing it up? There is no proof that the employee didn't offer that amount. The price may have changed, the employee may not have offered the additional money, or could have subtracted an amount for the condition.

Stop trying to be a detective, when it's clearly not that important.

[quote name='pulsar0510']How do you know, are you the CFO of Gamestop? None of the other stores were in trouble until they were. Gamestop is fairly reviled by a large percentage of gamers on this board, so what's to stop that from broadening? To argue any place of business is above collapse is foolish at best.[/QUOTE]

True. More proof of Gamestop going out of business in the next 12 months:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/gamestops-sales-soar-to-nearly-71-billion-in-2007/?biz=

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Why do you keep bringing it up? There is no proof that the employee didn't offer that amount. The price may have changed, the employee may not have offered the additional money, or could have subtracted an amount for the condition.

Stop trying to be a detective, when it's clearly not that important.[/quote]
It's simple. First off, why would the price of a trade in rise? I see no reason for GameStop to do that, especially in such a short period. We've already established earlier in the thread that there was a $10 extra trade in for systems, so that takes the base trade in of $160 to $170. If the system was in bad condition, Visc would not have bought it.

Think about it. Why would he want to buy a damaged system? And I do find it important. If GameStop offers you $170 credit and a random stranger offers you $170 cash, and you plan on spending it at GameStop, what are you going to take? With the $10 extra the guy was getting the same amount as the offer, making Visc's offer look non-appealing to him, which explains why he didn't sell it to Visc.

Alright, let's assume that GameStop did only quote him $160 at the moment. Most GameStops have fliers of all the promos going on, so the customer would have clearly seen that he would have gotten an extra $10, which is why he took a moment pause to answer. He saw a flier in the store for the promo

[quote name='Visc']I say this over an incident at my local, and preferred, gamestop today.

As I walked in today, I say a wii system sitting on the front counter. It turns out someone was trading one in as I got there. Now, the emplyees at this GS know me quite well, we're good friends, they know my wii has been backordered 4 months now, so I asked them what they offered in trade-in credit, $160, and asked if they would mind if I counter-offered the guy, which they were fine with.

So I walked over to the gentlemen and politely offered to man $170 cash direct from the nearby ATM for the system, which was also missing its box and lacked Wii Sports when he brought it in. He thought for a moment and said:
"Nah. I'd rather get the $160 in credit."

I said ok, thanks anyways, but inside I was fuming at the stupidity of this moron. After he left, even the employees were calling him a moron, jackass, etc.

On the bright side though, they game me a Simon Belmont figuring and a Silent Hill Experience while I was there. So it wasn't a total loss I guess, but still, it sucks that someone can be as stupid as that customer.[/quote]

Pretty harsh dude, just because someone chooses not to do business with you doesn't mean they are stupid. Besides, your offer was not exactly generous. You were trying to buy it for a little as possible. A generous offer would have been to offer him what he paid for it. Since you can't find one anywhere that would be worth it even without Wii Sports and the box. You don't need the box, and GS sells Wii Sports used for $9.99.

[quote name='srad1968']Tell you what... look me up in a year and tell me that again.[/quote]
And the "Best Bump of 2009 Award" will go to...

[quote name='naes']It's simple. First off, why would the price of a trade in rise? I see no reason for GameStop to do that, especially in such a short period. We've already established earlier in the thread that there was a $10 extra trade in for systems, so that takes the base trade in of $160 to $170. If the system was in bad condition, Visc would not have bought it.

Think about it. Why would he want to buy a damaged system? And I do find it important. If GameStop offers you $170 credit and a random stranger offers you $170 cash, and you plan on spending it at GameStop, what are you going to take? With the $10 extra the guy was getting the same amount as the offer, making Visc's offer look non-appealing to him, which explains why he didn't sell it to Visc.

Alright, let's assume that GameStop did only quote him $160 at the moment. Most GameStops have fliers of all the promos going on, so the customer would have clearly seen that he would have gotten an extra $10, which is why he took a moment pause to answer. He saw a flier in the store for the promo[/QUOTE]

So, what did the seller/trader look like? Because clearly, you must have been in the store as well.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']So, what did the seller/trader look like? Because clearly, you must have been in the store as well.[/quote]
Oof. :whistle2:#

[quote name='CocheseUGA']And their stock price still went down 4%.

And Bear Stearns was trading for $159 in the last year.

Oldsmobile disappeared after 100 years of selling automobiles.

Point being, any business, no matter how big, could be gone tomorrow.[/quote]
Exactly my point. I was starting to think I was the only one who realized that businesses fail, regardless of supposed earnings.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']And their stock price still went down 4%.

And Bear Stearns was trading for $159 in the last year.

Oldsmobile disappeared after 100 years of selling automobiles.

Point being, any business, no matter how big, could be gone tomorrow.[/quote]

Actually GME closed up 3.3% on the day today. And it would take some serious ineptitude to run a near-monopoly with non-unionized labor into the ground... heck even Bear just got screwed by panicked investors making a run on the bank and Oldsmobile was a GM mark that lost its popularity.

[quote name='CheapBastardToo']Actually GME closed up 3.3% on the day today. And it would take some serious ineptitude to run a near-monopoly with non-unionized labor into the ground... heck even Bear just got screwed by panicked investors making a run on the bank and Oldsmobile was a GM mark that lost its popularity.[/QUOTE]

They still couldn't make up the drop from Monday. They may be having record numbers, but Wall Street is apathetic.

[quote name='CheapBastardToo']Actually GME closed up 3.3% on the day today. And it would take some serious ineptitude to run a near-monopoly with non-unionized labor into the ground... heck even Bear just got screwed by panicked investors making a run on the bank and Oldsmobile was a GM mark that lost its popularity.[/quote]

Precisely.

[quote name='tex1ntux']And the "Best Bump of 2009 Award" will go to...[/quote]
Didn't understand that.... hope you weren't saying I was bumping, my posts were 4 minutes apart.

I doubt GS will die out anytime soon, everytime i go inthere there are Noob gamers tradeing and buying, about the only time i see hardcore gamers there they are buying, not trading, as long as little Jimmy can trade in his copy of Pokemon red for a copy of pokemon fusha, and his grandma can buy herself a copy of suduku there will be a gamestop. lets face it most 13yr olds are too lazy to Ebay, and most grandparents are too technologicaly impared. And 100% of soccermoms will rush in and buy a $50 copy of Hanna Montana, and a $50 copy of Mario party 8 for her screaming kids. stores like EB/GS will ive on as long as there are hardcopys of games. They help the industry, but those of us that are smarter than the average gamer can get bettr prices online and just use EB/GS as a place to flip games.

It would certainly be possible for Gamestop to go out of business but someone already pointed out why they most likely won't ever. They're a near monopoly with an idiot-proof sales model that produces profit without the need for underwear or any guesswork. That's the difference between them and a shitty store like Ames getting absolutely spanked by Wal-Mart.

bread's done
Back