Someone Has My Account!

Luriden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
694 (100%)
I sold my Playstation Vita about a month ago at a used game store. I did a factory reset on the device, and formatted the memory card. I thought that would completely remove my account, but someone has gone on a messaging spree with my account.

I turned on my PS3 tonight to see my inbox full of confused messages from my friends. I also have a message from "myself" saying "hey do you know the person who used to have this, my name is tre" with a second message "are you a girl" and a third message "Hello?" My inbox shows they were sent with the Group Messaging app. I used that app maybe once, so I have no clue how it works. And I'm assuming he doesn't either, since he's sending messages to himself thinking it's another user and they're getting forwarded back to me. That would explain why he kept messaging me like I was online when I wasn't.

I changed my password via the website. Will he be forced to enter my new password next time he turns on his Vita? According to the website, my Vita isn't even activated on my account. It says "2 Playstation Systems" and those I know are both PS3s. I'm just afraid he'll have access to my debit card info if that's the case, since I did make some purchases back when I had my Vita.

EDIT: My signature! My signature picture shows I played Jetpack Joyride. I've NEVER played Jetpack Joyride. Raptr shows I also earned trophies in Modnation Road Trip and Frobisher Says. This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. How is he doing this if that Vita isn't even activated on my account?! And I can't remotely deactivate it to be sure, since I did it a few months ago already for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Sony? I mean, short of tracking down the guy, you should call Sony and have them deactivate that device from your account.

Will they be able to deactivate it if I've already used the remote deactivation tool on the website recently? I'm about to head into work so I won't be able to call them today, unless they have 24 hour support, in that case I'll call when I get home.

Plot Twist: I work at that used game store I sold the system at. I'm hoping the guy has an account with us. If so, I can check the sales records to find the guy and get his contact info in case Sony can't do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just weirded out by the fact that you did a factory reset and a memory card format. I know on the DSi you also have to unlink your account from the eshop, maybe this is similar? You have to unlink your account from the store as well? I guess the store could just be using the mac address of the device.

When you do a factory reset, the system asks you to deactivate your PSN account on the current PS Vita, if you didnt do it, well it was your fault.

This happened when I sold my PS3 and then bought another, I thought I erased everything but, I didn't. I easily just changed the password. That's that.

for some reason formatting from the system menu doesn't erase the user data.

at my use game store we need to reformat from the debug menu you get to that by doing the following

when the system is off ----- Hold down the home button ( ps button ) + the right trigger + the power button for 30 to 60 sec

and it should boot to the debug menu.

bread's done
Back