Someone hijacked my amazon account

Predator21281

CAGiversary!
Around 3 weeks ago, my laptop (a Sony Vaio F series) crashed thanks to an update from Windows. This was a day before my spring break, so I wasn't able to have it fixed by Best Buy for free. Well, when I got back last week, I brought it into the geek squad and let them send it in and replace it. That was March 24th.
Today, I look on my phone and notice I have an email from my bank and from Amazon. My bank tells me my account balance is low thanks to a purchase from Amazon, and Amazon's email is an order confirmation for the digital download of Rift. I did not order the game.
Amazon then send me an email claiming they believe my account has been used by a third-party and they have frozen it so no further purchases have been made, which means someone has been continuing trying to by from them. There is no way I could have bought the game and no one has my password for Amazon, so the only thing I can think of is that someone in Best Buy opened my laptop and went online with my information. My laptop saves my password for my convenience.
I looked into it, and think the person left their phone number on my account, but I'm unsure. On their call me service, there's a number I don't recognize with a 786 area code, which is Miami's. My area code is 708 as i am from the southside of Chicago but am going to school at the University of Miami. I changed my password, but don't know where to go from here. Any help on what I should do, fellow CAG's. Should I go to Best Buy and see if the phone number matches up with any of the employees, and if I do that, how would I get that information? I took a screenshot of Call Me service page and printed that out with the invoice, plus I have the receipts from Best Buy saying when they took the laptop.

This sounds very suspicious. I think it's going to be hard to prove that a best buy employee did it. I would advise against going straight to best buy and asking them because they will protect their own and try to cover their tracks. Perhaps get the most information from amazon that you can about the person who made the purchases (IP address, Time and date of purchase, etc) and then go to police. I'm from the south side of Chicago too. Which best buy did you go to so I can know never to take my laptop there. I would assume the Burbank one.

I wouldn't go to Best Buy either. Call either your local police station and see if they have a computer crimes division, or call your local FBI office if they don't and report it to them. Let them know what evidence you have. They may want to take a look at your laptop.

Dude if that happens to me, I would do everything it takes to get the culprit behind bars. Fuq dat bitch up!

I hate scammers and thieves man

Get all the info you can from Amazon, as stated above (ex: The number they called from, the time of the call, etc. if they will give you the info. Get as much info as you can/can think of asking for...).

Print out screen shots of all the evidence you can from your laptop (ex: the pic from Amazon from the OP) and print them out.

You can optionally block your cell phone number, then call the number from the Amazon page above and see who answers. Ask who they are and then act like its a wrong number. Then you have a name to go with the number. If you have never heard of the person then good chances are that they took your info somehow.

Go to the police with all info.

Completely your fault for using geek squad.
Seriously, a replacement computer because yours crashed???! Complete bullshit; you sir, got screwed in more ways than one.

on a more serious note: I agree with the people that say take it to the police, definitely your best bet. Or you could prank call the number (it's legal to do it just once.)

I took my laptop to the Best Buy near Dadeland Mall in Miami, so you're safe yourmomlikesme. They still have my laptop, too, until around April 5th. Yeah, good points on the Police. I'm calling them up tomorrow while I look into it with Amazon. Thanks for that idea, I'm going to try getting all the information I can. I'm going to call them tomorrow before I call the police. I have the invoice, so I already have the time and date of the purchase.

If it does turn out to be a Best Buy employee, I'm going to any news media I can think of. Luckily, the club I work with on campus, Wishmakers, has contacts in the local media. I'm thinking a company whose only strength over competitors like Amazon is their Geek Squad service because they can physically help someone. A story like this, if true, could be a PR nightmare.

[quote name='ROB64']Completely your fault for using geek squad.
Seriously, a replacement computer because yours crashed???! Complete bullshit; you sir, got screwed in more ways than one.[/QUOTE]
I have it under warranty with Best Buy, so Geek Squad replaced the hard drive for free.

[quote name='urmomlikesme']This sounds very suspicious. I think it's going to be hard to prove that a best buy employee did it. I would advise against going straight to best buy and asking them because they will protect their own and try to cover their tracks. Perhaps get the most information from amazon that you can about the person who made the purchases (IP address, Time and date of purchase, etc) and then go to police. [/QUOTE] I agree with this idea, totally. If you confront Best Buy, I'm sure you'll be lied to or get a great excuse. Derp, I was just running some tests on your computer and thought it was my account, my bad.

Retail companies do not easily accept their own liability in these situations.

[quote name='Predator21281']I took my laptop to the Best Buy near Dadeland Mall in Miami, so you're safe yourmomlikesme. They still have my laptop, too, until around April 5th. Yeah, good points on the Police. I'm calling them up tomorrow while I look into it with Amazon. Thanks for that idea, I'm going to try getting all the information I can. I'm going to call them tomorrow before I call the police. I have the invoice, so I already have the time and date of the purchase.

If it does turn out to be a Best Buy employee, I'm going to any news media I can think of. Luckily, the club I work with on campus, Wishmakers, has contacts in the local media. I'm thinking a company whose only strength over competitors like Amazon is their Geek Squad service because they can physically help someone. A story like this, if true, could be a PR nightmare.[/QUOTE]

Thieves like this make me sick. Please keep us updated with how you make out. I will be hoping this ass-hat gets caught, and keeping my eye on this thread.

Good luck!

[quote name='Predator21281']I took my laptop to the Best Buy near Dadeland Mall in Miami, so you're safe yourmomlikesme. They still have my laptop, too, until around April 5th. Yeah, good points on the Police. I'm calling them up tomorrow while I look into it with Amazon. Thanks for that idea, I'm going to try getting all the information I can. I'm going to call them tomorrow before I call the police. I have the invoice, so I already have the time and date of the purchase.

If it does turn out to be a Best Buy employee, I'm going to any news media I can think of. Luckily, the club I work with on campus, Wishmakers, has contacts in the local media. I'm thinking a company whose only strength over competitors like Amazon is their Geek Squad service because they can physically help someone. A story like this, if true, could be a PR nightmare.[/QUOTE]

While what he did was wrong, it will not cause a PR nightmare. It is likely some 18-21 year old student working for Best Buy who thought digital downloads would not be traced. Best Buy will fire the employee and you could likely file a case in small claims court. I know you are mad, but Best Buy runs into employees stealing all the time and the way they deal with them is textbook and won't be a news feature.

How long is Amazon keeping your account frozen? I would get my bank account information off of that amazon account until this is resolved.

Do you have passwords for other accounts saved on that laptop? You should change all of your passwords. The thief might go after other accounts now that Amazon is frozen.

I agree with everyone that said don't go to Best Buy, go to the police, as soon as possible.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']While what he did was wrong, it will not cause a PR nightmare. It is likely some 18-21 year old student working for Best Buy who thought digital downloads would not be traced. Best Buy will fire the employee and you could likely file a case in small claims court. I know you are mad, but Best Buy runs into employees stealing all the time and the way they deal with them is textbook and won't be a news feature.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy employees steal from customers all the time?

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']While what he did was wrong, it will not cause a PR nightmare. It is likely some 18-21 year old student working for Best Buy who thought digital downloads would not be traced. Best Buy will fire the employee and you could likely file a case in small claims court. I know you are mad, but Best Buy runs into employees stealing all the time and the way they deal with them is textbook and won't be a news feature.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy employees steal from customers all the time?

Best Buy has over 1000 stores and tons of employees. They deal with employees stealing from the company and possibly customers all the time. It's common for big companies like this to lose profits from employee fraud.

bread's done
Back