Someone said VGA looks better than HDMI...

RiCeBo1

CAGiversary!
Is this true? I was going to upgrade my non-HDMI 360 to an HDMI equipped unit. But after hearing this, it makes me not want to. I'm playing 360 on a 27" LCD HDTV if that makes any difference. Should I upgrade to an HDMI unit or not?

I am playing my 360 via the VGA cables and into my wide screen monitor (which has dvi/vga inputs). Looks very impressive...however I think someone said that VGA is still analog while HDMI is digital. Even on composite games still look pretty good on the 360.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am playing my 360 via the VGA cables and into my wide screen monitor (which has dvi/vga inputs). Looks very impressive...however I think someone said that VGA is still analog while HDMI is digital. Even on composite games still look pretty good on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, but that doesn't mean much. I'm just looking for clarity and such. Will HDMI improve my draw distance that I'm seeing on screen? And will it make things A LOT clearer?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Yeah, VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, but that doesn't mean much. I'm just looking for clarity and such. Will HDMI improve my draw distance that I'm seeing on screen? And will it make things A LOT clearer?[/quote]

I went from component to playing on VGA and things like the text in Dead Rising have never been clearer.

Having compared both HDMi and VGA, I say the picture is pretty much identical. It's really up to you on what you want to do. You'll pretty much get the exact same picture out of both. I would do whatever is cheaper, and with Toys R Us selling VGA cables for $9.98, I say why not?

I am currently playing on VGA, but I am debating whether or not I should go for HDMI. Guys at my work said there is a BIG difference, but I think they are just bullshitting since they have never seen VGA in action. If it was VGA and component, of course there's a difference, but how much of a difference is VGA and HDMI?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I am currently playing on VGA, but I am debating whether or not I should go for HDMI. Guys at my work said there is a BIG difference, but I think they are just bullshitting since they have never seen VGA in action. If it was VGA and component, of course there's a difference, but how much of a difference is VGA and HDMI?[/quote]

Virtually nothing I can tell.

The only difference that I've noticed (this is purely preference too) is that HDMI is darker and more vibrant with color than VGA (but causes problems in games like Dead Rising where the black areas are too black to see anything). (this may also be the tv as well).

[quote name='SL4IN']Virtually nothing I can tell.

The only difference that I've noticed (this is purely preference too) is that HDMI is darker and more vibrant with color than VGA (but causes problems in games like Dead Rising where the black areas are too black to see anything). (this may also be the tv as well).[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to be too much of a hassle but if you're able to take pix of your TV with each connections in that would be great. I haven't seen any comparrisons between the 2 except HDMI and Component.

If the difference isn't really a big deal to you I would go by the advice of people here on the forums. However, if the potential difference is something very important to you it is something I would suggest you go out and look at yourself.

The difference is so negligible, especially on a 27" TV that you will see absolutely no difference whatsoever. You would have to have a robotic eye sampling at like 10,000 times per second to see any improvement one way or the other. Save the money and get another game with it. VGA is analog, but since when does digital = better? Do you like controlling most games now aday with a digital pad or analog stick? hrmm.. I know it's maybe not an accurate comparison but you get the idea =)

[quote name='elchbulle']The difference is so negligible, especially on a 27" TV that you will see absolutely no difference whatsoever. You would have to have a robotic eye sampling at like 10,000 times per second to see any improvement one way or the other. Save the money and get another game with it. VGA is analog, but since when does digital = better? Do you like controlling most games now aday with a digital pad or analog stick? hrmm.. I know it's maybe not an accurate comparison but you get the idea =)[/quote]
This.

Hell, at 27" I bet you couldn't even tell 1080p from 720p which is a bigger difference than VGA to HDMI.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Question, what cables do the Pro console come with? VGA or HDMI? I've always been at a lost about this.[/QUOTE]
Component. Only the Elite comes with an HDMI cable, and I don't think anything has ever come with VGA.

I have my 360 hooked up via VGA and as everyone has said I think it is one of the clearer options out there, but I think it depends a lot on your TV. From all the reserach I did, Samsung TVs handle VGA better than most and it looks great. Other TVs, don't do as good of a job. So this is something to keep in mind.

Then again VGA cables are not that expensive, so if you have an HDMI 360 just buy both cables and compare.

VGA tends to look worse on certain TVs because many restrict the video settings (contrast/hue/color/etc) that you can edit while in VGA mode.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']The only thing I noticed was that the vga was darker than the hdmi. I liked the brighter so I stuck with hdmi.[/quote]

A few firmwares ago, Microsoft added a few settings that you can adjust that will correct any darkness you may see.

I personally use both. Both look great.

Switching out a cable isn't going to improve draw distance, OP.

HDMI is almost always going to look better then VGA unless there is some sort of issue with your tv/monitor and it's HDMI port or how it processes things through HDMI. On a normal setup with everything working properly the difference between HDMI and VGA won't be much.

I'd imagine it will depend on the TV/monitor. Some will handle VGA better than HDMI, some will handle HDMI better than VGA. Some will have a big difference, some will have a negligible difference.

[quote name='Danil ACE']VGA tends to look worse on certain TVs because many restrict the video settings (contrast/hue/color/etc) that you can edit while in VGA mode.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my plasma (samsung) assumes that it is a computer if it is VGA and locks out a lot of the video settings. Pretty stupid on their part.

Ok so I guess I'll keep my VGA 360 and stop worrying about it then...onto the next question...how should I set up my TV calibration? How high should contrast/brightness/sharpness/color be at? I don't have a preset option on my HDTV which is stupid (stupid Olevia's!!).

I have a question!

This is probably really stupid, but I honestly don't know much about this stuff at all.

I have my 360 plugged up component to my 27" tube TV in the living room, and it drives my wife crazy. I know VGA allows you to hook into computer monitors, but my computer moniter doesn't have a place to plug anything into it. Is it possible to get a male-to-male converter, hook the cord coming out of the moniter to the one coming out of the 360 and have it work?

On a side note, my laptop (separate computer) has a place to plug in a second moniter so you can have two screens going at once; is this a place I could plug in a VGA cable and get the 360 to run on the laptop screen?

[quote name='Dunvane']
I have my 360 plugged up component to my 27" tube TV in the living room, and it drives my wife crazy. I know VGA allows you to hook into computer monitors, but my computer moniter doesn't have a place to plug anything into it. Is it possible to get a male-to-male converter, hook the cord coming out of the moniter to the one coming out of the 360 and have it work?

On a side note, my laptop (separate computer) has a place to plug in a second moniter so you can have two screens going at once; is this a place I could plug in a VGA cable and get the 360 to run on the laptop screen?[/QUOTE]

To answer your first question, yes.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10416&cs_id=1041601&p_id=1172&seq=1&format=2

To answer your second question, no.
No you cannot display anything else on your laptop screen. It is a vga-out port, not a vga-in port.

ahh if i still had my 20" LCD HDTV it would've been a closer comparison. but anyway, i'll grab my digital camera from work and take some pics tonight.

i have a 42" Vizio (VU42LF) and both cables. since my VGA port only does 720p, i'll set my HDMI to 720p as well. i've optimized my TV for both settings. i'll explain more when i post the pics.

Well hell yes, this is awesome. I guess I'll actually get to take the thing out of the living room now. Hooray for late night gaming!

[quote name='typeRJ']ahh if i still had my 20" LCD HDTV it would've been a closer comparison. but anyway, i'll grab my digital camera from work and take some pics tonight.

i have a 42" Vizio (VU42LF) and both cables. since my VGA port only does 720p, i'll set my HDMI to 720p as well. i've optimized my TV for both settings. i'll explain more when i post the pics.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, this would be the first time I get to see a comparisson of both, because all I've seen are component/HDMI.

On a side note, which do you use anyways?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Will HDMI improve my draw distance that I'm seeing on screen?[/QUOTE]

The draw distance on your display has nothing to do with how you output your signal to the television. That's only handled by the game code which, for consoles anyway, is set by the developer and cannot be tweaked.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']The only thing I noticed was that the vga was darker than the hdmi. I liked the brighter so I stuck with hdmi.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed this a little bit myself although my comparison is Component (480p maybe) to VGA. I just upgraded to a 22" Samsung computer monitor and while the quality of the picture has vastly improved over the 19" tube TV I was using, the colors feel washed out and darker. I still need to tweak it but I am still happy with the improvement.

[quote name='daphatty']The draw distance on your display has nothing to do with how you output your signal to the television. That's only handled by the game code which, for consoles anyway, is set by the developer and cannot be tweaked.

I've noticed this a little bit myself although my comparison is Component (480p maybe) to VGA. I just upgraded to a 22" Samsung computer monitor and while the quality of the picture has vastly improved over the 19" tube TV I was using, the colors feel washed out and darker. I still need to tweak it but I am still happy with the improvement.[/QUOTE]
So I guess I'll stick to my VGA and keep my 360 now. Let's see if MS reveals a new design at E3.

[quote name='Damian']Component. Only the Elite comes with an HDMI cable, and I don't think anything has ever come with VGA.[/quote]
Ok, so if I'm correct, my regular Xbox 360 Pro does not have an HDMI port, right? Which leaves me only able to get VGA cables? Is it dramatically better than the standard component cables? I have a Samsung plasma 42"

[quote name='SoulReaver']Ok, so if I'm correct, my regular Xbox 360 Pro does not have an HDMI port, right? Which leaves me only able to get VGA cables? Is it dramatically better than the standard component cables? I have a Samsung plasma 42"[/QUOTE]

On most TV's (like mine), then VGA does in fact look a lot better. I'm still waiting for those comparrison shots.

I'll be using the Component cable that came with my 360 when my tv arrives Tuesday. I was told Component looks better than VGA...

I saw no difference between VGA and Component on my 56" 1080p Sammy DLP (supports 1080p through Component)...the only reason I went with VGA was for 1080p with HD DVDs....

[quote name='Malik112099']I saw no difference between VGA and Component on my 56" 1080p Sammy DLP (supports 1080p through Component)...the only reason I went with VGA was for 1080p with HD DVDs....[/quote]
Im on 720p so component should be fine.

bread's done
Back