Something big heading to the VC?

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
“Something big is coming to the Virtual Console, something that, for the past decade, certain corners of the retro community have been crying out for. I wish I could say more, but the uncertainties of publishing schedules prevents me from spilling the beans too early. Nevertheless, if what we’ve heard turns out to be true, the virtual console is about to become a lot more interesting and looks like it might turn out to be much more valuable to dedicated retro gamers than we first thought.”

http://gonintendo.com/?p=9790

Earthbound would be my first guess if its true

It says that theyve been wanting them "for almost a decade". That would seemingly eliminate anything on the N64. Also it wouldn't be referring to anything online.

Earthbound would be a good guess if this is really true. It's probably as likely as anything else.

It's not going to be one or two games, guys... it's going to be all games from a well-known publisher with a huge back catalogue, or it's going to be another console.

EarthBound would be cool to have on VC, seeing as it's my favorite game ever made, but I wouldn't say I've been "waiting" for it. I've had it, and when I want to play it I just fire up my SNES and play it. And I wouldn't say that "dedicated retro gamers" have been waiting for it either, because SNES systems are fairly easy to come by and EarthBound can be had for about $40.

What I have been waiting 10 years for is Mother 3.

It actually does in some way make sense for them to release it this way in America, since the money of the several thousand people who'd buy it (at perhaps more than $8, since it's technically a GBA game and not an SNES game) would definitely cover what it would cost to localize it, and all the other costs -- packaging, manufacturing, advertising, etc. -- would be dodged by it being download only. They might even sell a few Wiis with it, if there are any EB buffs who haven't yet found a reason to buy one.

Anyway, I'd pay like 50,000 Wii points for that shit. Hell, they're just Wii points. It's not real money. Right?

Right?

[quote name='jlarlee']must be something that didn't make it over here[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking, but what? Dragon Quest V?

Maybe it's something original? A true sequel to Chrono Trigger?

[quote name='defiance_17']A true sequel to Chrono Trigger?[/quote]
No way. Way too much money involved in making a whole new game from scratch. They'd never even come close to breaking even, considering they'd only be selling to people who own a Wii AND were fans of Chrono Trigger AND still have a desire to play a new 2D RPG AND have wireless internet.

[quote name='drfunk85']It says that theyve been wanting them "for almost a decade". That would seemingly eliminate anything on the N64. Also it wouldn't be referring to anything online.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts as well. Here's hoping it isn't aiming to please the "Urban Champion Prime" petition of one that's been going strong since 1996.

Doesn't EA still own the license to James Bond games? I don't think Nintendo could legally release Goldeneye (Same reason Capcom can't make any more MvC2s)

titlescreen.jpg
Earthbound 64, fully translated, it will be.

[quote name='Tybee']What if it's *gasp*...ALL THREE MOTHER TITLES...TRANSLATED.

Okay, I'll stop.[/QUOTE]

I'll kiss everyone on this board if it comes to pass. Tongue, no tongue, your choice.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Doesn't EA still own the license to James Bond games? I don't think Nintendo could legally release Goldeneye (Same reason Capcom can't make any more MvC2s)[/quote]
Activision owns the license now.

It won't be just one game... would be kind of silly to make all this hooplah about one game.

It's got to be something even bigger like SquareEnix's entire SNES back catalog, or something huge like that.

[quote name='destro713']No way. Way too much money involved in making a whole new game from scratch. They'd never even come close to breaking even, considering they'd only be selling to people who own a Wii AND were fans of Chrono Trigger AND still have a desire to play a new 2D RPG AND have wireless internet.[/QUOTE]

Obviously it was nothing but wishful thinking on my part. But hypothetically, who said it would need to be "from scratch"? Developing new areas and a couple new characters using the same engine (were they even called "engines" back then?) couldn't be that expensive.... I would love to see some type of add-ons for old titles, despite what Nintendo has said about porting to the VC.

It wont be any FF games, square has all these gba rereleases right now and would be shooting themselves in the foot if FF6 was on VC for 8 bucks, but cost 30 in stores.

Now, Dragon Quest 5 and 6, and the mother games, and some Fire Emblems :drool:

[quote name='hohez']It wont be any FF games, square has all these gba rereleases right now and would be shooting themselves in the foot if FF6 was on VC for 8 bucks, but cost 30 in stores.

Now, Dragon Quest 5 and 6, and the mother games, and some Fire Emblems :drool:[/QUOTE]

One is portable with extra stuff, the other is not portable and has no extra goodies.

Square would gladly whore out the game twice and Square's fans would gladly buy it twice.

[quote name='Scorch']They've already confirmed Mario RPG is on its way, it already got approval from the ESRB, so its not that...[/QUOTE]

It got approval but Nintendo never officially announced it.

Speculation is fun and all but I feel as if we have been doing this with the Wii for a very long time. I'll wait for something concrete to get excited about.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']you alll kno it will be something gay like mario is missing or mc kids for the regular nes...[/quote]

Hey.. Mc Kids was pretty fun! :D

I'm hoping for Super Mario All-Stars! I'm not counting on that though, they'd probably rather milk us by releasing each game on the NES seperately.

I don't know about Saturn emulation.. I think the data size would be way too big for that. I WISH it were true, but c'mon.. to this day, Saturn emulation isn't 100% operational.

I'm thinking it may be Square backlog.. who knows, maybe a translated Seiken Densetsu III will show up (there's plenty of fan translated ROM's floating around).

However, the strongest possibility has to be the Mother series.

[quote name='Dezuria']Hey.. Mc Kids was pretty fun! :D

I'm hoping for Super Mario All-Stars! I'm not counting on that though, they'd probably rather milk us by releasing each game on the NES seperately before releasing the whole shebang on SNES.[/QUOTE]

fix'd.

Saturn games aren't plausible, (1) due to their size, and (2) if we discount the size, how in the world would discs be acquired?

[quote name='jkam']Speculation is fun and all but I feel as if we have been doing this with the Wii for a very long time. I'll wait for something concrete to get excited about.[/quote]

Wii speculation is like a whole feature unto itself. All the Nintendo On and mystery controller stuff were speculation demos before the actual system release.

bread's done
Back