something missing with RPG nowdays?

Mishimaryu

Banned
they no longer have the world map function in such games as FF7 FF8. Out of the many RPG's for PS2 such as FFX,shadow hearts, Arc the lad, Suikoden 3, Legai 2, wild arms 3 and many other rpg's I have played they only have the point click system which lets you choose where to go next. Are there any other RPG's on PS2 out there besides Wild Arms 3 which has the world map function?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Your right, I've noticed the world map has faded away.

Did Grandia Xtreme have a world map?[/quote]

Probably not. Grandia 2 didn't. I prefer the world map.

[quote name='thecolonel2323'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']Your right, I've noticed the world map has faded away.

Did Grandia Xtreme have a world map?[/quote]

Probably not. Grandia 2 didn't. I prefer the world map.[/quote]

Yeah the first two didn't have any.

Well there's still hope with Star Ocean, and Suikoden 4. I'm almost positive Suikoden 4 will have one with all the ship battles and exploring.

I was playing Lunar 2 a while ago and really, really missed that. The stupid world is a maze of mountains, and toward the end you need to go all over it.

I'll tell you what's wrong with RPGs these days, they are cheery and brutal. "Hey gang, let's hop on the bandwagon and save the world!" There is no substance or depth in an RPG anymore. I don't feel like I should be saving a world from Meister Seymor or a computer virus. I mean whatever happened to villains like Sepheroth? The man killed people in cold blood and still wasn't satisfied. What about the story between Magus and Frog from Chrono Trigger? No game on any next-gen console has had any story like that. And the story of Magus and Frog was a tiny bit of the game! Final Fantasy X's Tidus Mr. Happy Go Lucky. He made me feel like he should've been part of the Scooby Doo gang. I never cared much for him or wanted to see how he developed....though I did anyway. I never give a damn for the characters anymore like I did before. I mean we all wanted to see how Alex could conjure up strength to save Luna or what Cloud's past was being hidden from us. No, nothing like that in these next-gen RPGs

Additionally, the gameplay is horrible. I do miss the world maps. What is with this linear gameplay garbage. How is one supposed to get to the hidden island on a gold chocobo you worked so hard to get? How is one supposed to do that in linear world? It's garbage. Who also finds that "new and improved" battle systems are annying as anything? I mean with new games and their new battle system I will never get that satisfaction of winning a boss battle by perfect stradegy and total risk with one character still alive, no potions, and one hit away from a gameover. I can't enjoy that if I don't understand these dumb new battle systems! Just take the old battle system and improve on it. Look at Chrono Trigger, same old battle system but with double and triple teck, genius!

Stick with the PSX and SNES RPGs, there's enough to last you a life time. As far as I'm concerned, "true" RPGs are dead.

Well of course they had depth and substance. You cannot argue that a game like Chrono Trigger did have depth. Every single character in the game had a heavily described backstory that was brought out through out the game. As compared to Final Fantasy X where hardly any character had any backstory that contributed to the story in no way.

If I'm going a little overboard here, please tell me. RPGs are like literature to me.

I really liked FFX and thought the story was great, but then again Chrono Trigger was one of those games that taught me to read pretty much and still one of my favorites of all time. I like it all, so I got best of both worlds! But old school rpgs always make me happy, because of my childhood. Now Earthbound didnt have a good story, but the strategy guide that came with it was sure entertaining as hell. Earthbound also didnt have a worldmap, but I think that worked out really well in the game.

I agree with saadman, RPG's really seem to suck nowadays. I guess it's hard to come up with any plot other then saving the world anymore. Which wouldn't even be that bad, if they could do that right. Character development is horrible, I haven't cared about a character since Cloud. These new games are also way too linear, I agree bring back the world map!

I found FFX to be horrible, the plot was childish and stupid, and I absolutely hated Tidus' whining all the time. I've really yet to play a good a rpg on the ps2 or any other next-gen system. I'm really hoping either ToS, Baten Kaitos, Star Ocean, or Fable can somehow get the formula right.

The business of exploring every little location on the world map has been done to death. I can see why developers would want to avoid doing the umpteenth iteration of that exercise.

There will inevitably be more games in that style. Perhaps not on your console of the moment but certainly on the anyone-can-enter PC dev scene. There are still aspiring coders trying to create new variations on Pac-man. Trying to do something on the order of FF VI/III is a couple of orders of magnitude more difficult but the tools are vastly better now and the average $400 PC makes any hardware of the 16-bit era trivial. Just don't expect the same guys who did it back then to spend the rest of their careers cranking out yet another set of tiles and a world map from those.

Tales of Symphonia has a world map, and Im pleased with that. I also like how you get to see the monsters approch you on the world map (and in dungeons). Im not a huge fan of random encounters, and I love exploring world maps. No random encounters makes that easer.

I know something that SHOULD be missing from RPG's nowadays. Dumbass random battles. It's an obsolete form of gameplay. It was ok back in the old Dragon Warriors and FF's... but its gotten old now. It's still the standard. And if you tell me that you prefer leveling up your stats in FFX to Grandia II or Chrono Trigger, you have way too much patience. I mean.. c'mon.. Dragon Warrior VII or Skies of Arcadia on the DC. Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

[quote name='saadman']I'll tell you what's wrong with RPGs these days, they are cheery and brutal. "Hey gang, let's hop on the bandwagon and save the world!" There is no substance or depth in an RPG anymore. I don't feel like I should be saving a world from Meister Seymor or a computer virus. I mean whatever happened to villains like Sepheroth? The man killed people in cold blood and still wasn't satisfied. What about the story between Magus and Frog from Chrono Trigger? No game on any next-gen console has had any story like that. And the story of Magus and Frog was a tiny bit of the game! Final Fantasy X's Tidus Mr. Happy Go Lucky. He made me feel like he should've been part of the Scooby Doo gang. I never cared much for him or wanted to see how he developed....though I did anyway. I never give a damn for the characters anymore like I did before. I mean we all wanted to see how Alex could conjure up strength to save Luna or what Cloud's past was being hidden from us. No, nothing like that in these next-gen RPGs

Additionally, the gameplay is horrible. I do miss the world maps. What is with this linear gameplay garbage. How is one supposed to get to the hidden island on a gold chocobo you worked so hard to get? How is one supposed to do that in linear world? It's garbage. Who also finds that "new and improved" battle systems are annying as anything? I mean with new games and their new battle system I will never get that satisfaction of winning a boss battle by perfect stradegy and total risk with one character still alive, no potions, and one hit away from a gameover. I can't enjoy that if I don't understand these dumb new battle systems! Just take the old battle system and improve on it. Look at Chrono Trigger, same old battle system but with double and triple teck, genius!

Stick with the PSX and SNES RPGs, there's enough to last you a life time. As far as I'm concerned, "true" RPGs are dead.[/quote]

You preach with wisdom beyond your years, young one. Gimme Secret of Mana or good ole Chrono over FF Craptacular 10 anyday. These new RPG'ers who defend new RPG's over the classics are just missing out. It's almost as if our intelligence as gamers is being insulted.

Bring on a true Chrono sequel I say. Or another Panzer Dragoon Saga. What's sad though is that such games are not successful; when people think of RPG, they think of "Final Fantasy". Until that changes... fresh, new, and revolutionary RPG's just won't sell enough to be profitable to make.

Sorry for the double post... just had a little to drink and a lot to say :D

[quote name='Skylander7']
You preach with wisdom beyond your years, young one. Gimme Secret of Mana or good ole Chrono over FF Craptacular 10 anyday. These new RPG'ers who defend new RPG's over the classics are just missing out. It's almost as if our intelligence as gamers is being insulted.

Bring on a true Chrono sequel I say. Or another Panzer Dragoon Saga. What's sad though is that such games are not successful; when people think of RPG, they think of "Final Fantasy". Until that changes... fresh, new, and revolutionary RPG's just won't sell enough to be profitable to make.

Sorry for the double post... just had a little to drink and a lot to say :D[/quote]

I don't think you have the right to say that. You grew up with those RPGs, and just about anything will be better than it really was just looking back and thinking about it. This generation of gamers will undoubtedly argue with the next about their RPGs.

And what do you mean "true" Chrono sequel? The story already wrapped up nicely, and Crono and his posse was found in Chrono Cross anyway. I think that was a brilliant way to tie the two storylines, but if you didn't like it, there was a true Chrono sequel, Radical Dreamers, which Cross is based off of. There's even a project trying to (or was trying to) rewrite Cross to make it appeal more to Trigger fans.

Of course fans will associate RPGs with Final Fantasy - it's the most popular RPG for every generation and will continue to be as such. I don't understand your argument against it; minus X-2, every FF had a completely different storyline and battle system. Would it have made a difference if Trigger was just called Final Fantasy VII?

Lastly, I don't understand your comparison of SoA and DW7. I choose SoA. It has random battles; what was your point exactly? I've never played the latter, but I'm sure it has random battles too.

[quote name='saadman'].....killed people in cold blood and still wasn't satisfied. What about the story between Magus and Frog from Chrono Trigger? No game on any next-gen console has had any story like that .....[/quote]

when i saw this it gave me chills. Chrono Trigger has a very powerful story line. and i agree most next-gen RPGs are crap. developers pay too much attention on graphics. graphics are important, but story line is more~ important. i had a better time in Chrono than in FFX or FFX2.. ack.. whats that taste in my mouth...

but FFXI is really good o_O im so addicted!!!

bread's done
Back