Son of a @[email protected] buyer filed a dispute

Jedi1979

CAGiversary!
Feedback
191 (100%)
ok, now listen to this...

I had a auction on the 30th of November for the Target Exclusive Transformers dvd and it sold for a total of $36.00...buyer pays, i send out and it is recieved on the 5th according to the DC. On the 25th of December the buyer leaves me positive feedback stating "exactly what i asked for. Very Satisfied."

Now today the 31st i get an email stating a dispute has been opened and the $36.00 is on temporary hold, so i look into it and no details are really given so i decide to give Paypal a call but sure enough because of the holiday nobody is there and supposedly wont be there till wednesday...i also got the contact info for the buyer and tried calling her but there was no answer but on the message it was definately the same name.

so really i am just venting right now since this is the first time in all my years and transactions (well over 1500) that something like this has happened and i figure i should be safe because of the following:

Confirmed address
DC showing it was delievered
positive feedback left for me

anything i need to be aware of otherwise? Is she possibly trying to scam me?

here is the auction in question
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280178412157

Maybe she honestly made a mistake in picking your auction to dispute on paypal, its semi confusing with a ton of transactions, she may have made two purchases around the same time that were 36.00 even.

Just put the dc in the paypal, the address being confirmed, and you win, you can't lose.

i was thinking also that she may have made a mistake but from the looks of it she has only bid on 2 other auctions in the past 30 days and those 2 were within the past week...

of course i cant see past the 30 days so it could still be possible

That sucks. I'm guessing either they was trying to get there money back, and screw you over or they really are just stupid, and don't realize what there doing. I'm going with the first one.

Good luck. If it's not a mistake on the buyer's part you're probably screwed out of that money, that's how Paypal is.

Sucks.

[quote name='keithp']Good luck. If it's not a mistake on the buyer's part you're probably screwed out of that money, that's how Paypal is.

Sucks.[/quote]
Thats not necessarily true. I've never had a problem with Paypal going against me in a dispute. As long as you follow their guidelines as a seller, you are completely fine.

Oh and since its a dispute with Ebay, I'm not sure how they could find in her favor if she bought it, paid for it, then filed a dispute on it. Especially if you can prove it was received with tracking info.

[quote name='mike.m']Thats not necessarily true. I've never had a problem with Paypal going against me in a dispute. As long as you follow their guidelines as a seller, you are completely fine.

Oh and since its a dispute with Ebay, I'm not sure how they could find in her favor if she bought it, paid for it, then filed a dispute on it. Especially if you can prove it was received with tracking info.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not necessarily, but I've only heard stories of Paypal siding with buyers personally. It seems like they give a pass to them over sellers, if there's even the SLIGHTEST doubt. Since the feedback pretty much says she got what was described and was satisfied then I guess the OP has at least a fighting chance.

If it's not a mistake though the buyer must be dumb as nails to leave that feedback and then try to scam their money back!

The same bs happened to me also. Buyer bought an item then they gave me a positive feedback for transaction. One month later, they filed a paypal dispute with paypal. I showed paypal all the necessary proof to prove my case like delivery confirmation, confirmed address and the positive feedback he/she left me. Paypal took my side due to evidence I have. Afterwards, I blocked that buyer from buying my stuff.

[quote name='fatbeer']The same bs happened to me also. Buyer bought an item then they gave me a positive feedback for transaction. One month later, they filed a paypal dispute with paypal. I showed paypal all the necessary proof to prove my case like delivery confirmation, confirmed address and the positive feedback he/she left me. Paypal took my side due to evidence I have. Afterwards, I blocked that buyer from buying my stuff.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected then. Cool, good to know the system works for the little guy. Go get 'em OP!!!!!

It may be a simple misunderstanding/error as well...I had one guy freak out and hit the panic buttons at Ebay and paypal because he thought his ebay and paypal account had been hijacked because it was used and he didn't know about it. . After getting all sorts of ominous emails from Ebay and Paypal, I wrote the buyer and said that the account's recently purchased items, a $20 board game (the item purchased from me) and a scented candle set, didn't have much cash money value on the street and it was far more likely that someone he knew has simply used his account. It turns out his wife used his account and forgot to tell him. This sort of stuff happens to me two or three times a year, typically by infrequent ebay buyers around Christmas time.

It could be an hijacked ebay account with an unauthorized credit card. Was her shipping address confirmed? If not you will LOSE, everytime...

That sucks. I think some lady may file a complaint too. I sold her a gift card and she chose the free method (email her the code instead of mailing it) and she left feedback and everything after I sent the code via eMail. I threw out the giftcard and she's threatning to complain if I don't get her a giftcard. She has the code already, so she can use that giftcard and request in-store pickup.

She's apparantly not bright enough.

paypal might of opened up the dispute itself. Call them and see.... I know around this time last year Paypal was billing some of my people 2 or 3 times.

one lady never even knew she was billed twice until i returned the 2nd payment to her. I have no idea why someone would pay twice but she did. It might been a bug in the paypal system

It can go either way.
I once had a very similar situation in which I sent the goods, received positive feedback (something like "Great games! Happy with the quick shipping!) and then the buyer filed a complaint through Paypal and said he never received the items. It was 4 or 5 Xbox games in a lot for about $90 or something like that.
In any case, I turned in absolutely everything including the delivery confirmation. Paypal told me that the Seller Protection Program only works if the proof of delivery shows both the name and the address of the buyer and USPS delivery confirmation does not do that. They took the money from my account.
I followed up with the feedback I had received saying that he obviously received them. Paypal informed me that they are a seperate from ebay even though they are part of the ebay family and that the buyer could have left that feedback on my auction by mistake so they must side with the buyer.

Sometimes it goes the other way. It's a crapshoot everytime if you ask me.

Yeah, in my experience PayPal will not consider the ebay evidence (feedback, any messages the buyer sent you, etc) AT ALL. Basically they give the money back to the buyer at the drop of a hat. However, if it is a "not received" complaint and you have DC for a confirmed address you should win. I had one a long time ago where the account was presumably hijacked, but since I mailed to a confirmed address with DC I got my money back the day after I filed the DC (which was already in the payment history since I used PayPal shipping - kind of lame they made me "re-file" it).

Though, Jedi, you didn't say what type of dispute it was? Usually the buyer has to select an option such as "did not receive" or "significantly not as described". I have one of the latter open right now because the guy claimed there was no disc when he opened his factory-sealed game. I usually check all my games (when I'm purchasing - whether for myself, a gift, CAG trading, whatever) for the "rattle" to see if there's a disc in there but I may have overlooked that one - I can't be sure. Since then I've marked each one on my selling/trading list with a note about whether there is obviously a disc in there. Then if this happens in the future I'll know for sure if they are scamming.

To his credit, he did send the game back to me and I can probably take it back to the store I got it at and try to get a refund. However, the dufus didn't put my street address, just "Name City Zip". Very strange. It was being held for me at the PO for several days until someone figured it out :roll:. This was a leftover Kmart clearance game that I decided I didn't want (Battlefield 2) and I thought it would be easier just to sell it than return it. I made all of $2 on it after fees, so I guess I learned my lesson as I should have just returned the damn thing instead of hassling with ebay...

it did not state in the dispute what the reason was other then "inquiry by Paypal"...however i did call just before and was told it was an unauthorized charge...she told me to send an email with any info that may help to [email protected]

i have tried calling the person but she has not picked up the phone yet...typical

I don't mean to make light of the situation, OP, and I do hope everything works out for you, but if this is an unauthtorized charge and someone hacked the eBay account, I can't help but find it funny that the criminal would then return to eBay and log back in to leave you positive feedback. Maybe your buyer can find solace in the fact that they were scammed by the world's most polite thief.

[quote name='Jedi1979']i figure i should be safe because of the following:

Confirmed address
DC showing it was delievered
[/QUOTE]

You've already won, don't worry about it.

Paypal will send you and email and say "Hay, can u prove u sent it?" and you'll go "Yah, here's the DC XXXX XX XXXX XX XXXX" and then Paypal will go "Thnx, k bye"

We get about 3 chargebacks a year. They only thing Paypal cares about is if the item was delivered. You have proof it was.

Go grab a soda & relax.

Yeah, I think on the unauthorized charge bit you are covered with the confirmed address and DC. Don't worry about it.

I went though my game closet and cleared out a BUNCH of stuff before Christmas (and even more this week with that 10 cent listing day). This was all stuff I had intended to play but with the next gen here I (or my kids even) really wasn't going to get around to playing many of these licensed kids Gamecube games and the like (most of which I picked up 1-3 years back). I had a TON of payments from unconfirmed addresses. On the little ones I let it go but on bigger purchases I tried to get people to repay after confirming. It has been more of a hassle than it was worth so on nearly all I just mailed anyway and took my chances.

What ebay/Paypal needs to do is allow you to set it up so that payments from unconfirmed addresses DO NOT go through. On more expensive items I say I will only accept from confirmed addresses but people pay without them anyway. Then they tell me they have no idea what that even means :roll:. So they just ignored it and purchased anyway. SO FAR, I've had no problems but there's plenty of time left for chargebacks.

The guy who claimed the disc was missing WAS a confirmed address, but when they do the "significantly not as described" dispute it doesn't matter.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I think on the unauthorized charge bit you are covered with the confirmed address and DC. Don't worry about it.

I went though my game closet and cleared out a BUNCH of stuff before Christmas (and even more this week with that 10 cent listing day). This was all stuff I had intended to play but with the next gen here I (or my kids even) really wasn't going to get around to playing many of these licensed kids Gamecube games and the like (most of which I picked up 1-3 years back). I had a TON of payments from unconfirmed addresses. On the little ones I let it go but on bigger purchases I tried to get people to repay after confirming. It has been more of a hassle than it was worth so on nearly all I just mailed anyway and took my chances.

What ebay/Paypal needs to do is allow you to set it up so that payments from unconfirmed addresses DO NOT go through. On more expensive items I say I will only accept from confirmed addresses but people pay without them anyway. Then they tell me they have no idea what that even means :roll:. So they just ignored it and purchased anyway. SO FAR, I've had no problems but there's plenty of time left for chargebacks.

The guy who claimed the disc was missing WAS a confirmed address, but when they do the "significantly not as described" dispute it doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

There is a way to go your profile on paypal and go to receiving options and then hit only accept from confirmed addresses.

[quote name='m0dem']There is a way to go your profile on paypal and go to receiving options and then hit only accept from confirmed addresses.[/QUOTE]

Really? I haven't messed with my PayPal profile in years. Still, that is not the ideal solution because I accept international payments and they are almost always unconfirmed. Plus I don't mind on sub-$20 things. I would like the option on an auction-by-auction basis via eBay.

There is an option that allows you to accept or deny payment from an unconfirmed address and the payment is set as pending until you accept it. That way you can allow it on inexpensive items. I have it set up that way since I require a confirmed address but on an item under $10, I'll usually let it slide if they have good feedback

[quote name='YoshiFan1']There is an option that allows you to accept or deny payment from an unconfirmed address and the payment is set as pending until you accept it. That way you can allow it on inexpensive items. I have it set up that way since I require a confirmed address but on an item under $10, I'll usually let it slide if they have good feedback[/QUOTE]

Well, damn, I wish I had known about that - I'll have to check it out. I know I've complained about this before here and no one ever pointed these things out - thanks guys!

[quote name='YoshiFan1']There is an option that allows you to accept or deny payment from an unconfirmed address and the payment is set as pending until you accept it. That way you can allow it on inexpensive items. I have it set up that way since I require a confirmed address but on an item under $10, I'll usually let it slide if they have good feedback[/quote]

damn...that is a nice feature...cant seem to find it though on the site...

just got an email from the buyer...this is what she wrote
"I have not contested nor disputed this account. I have no idea what you are referring to. Please let me look further into this. I do believe my card was charged w no problems. I have to work just now but upon my return I shall try to resolve this asap"

You know, I completely forgot about another issue I am currently having and it is similar to yours. I had a foreign payment (UK) reversed for no reason (it was not a dispute or claim, I just got an email from PayPal saying the bank reversed it). The buyer wrote back after a day or so and said he had no idea what happened and would look into it. That was about a week ago and he hasn't responded since. In the mean time, the game got delivered (priority mail international so I have tracking and insurance but that doesn't matter on international deliveries and since this was never a "claim" I had no chance of being covered).

The guy has 150 or so 100% feedback so I find it hard to believe he just up and reversed a charge on a $20 game (unfortunately for me, the shipping was an additional $20 so the loss is pretty big for me if I don't get it back!). But if he doesn't start responding again soon (I gave him the benefit of the doubt over the holidays) I may have to leave my first negative. If this happened to me as a buyer I'd make damn sure I was keeping constant contact with the seller and probably pay via CC (though PayPal) in the mean time to make up for it.

This might not pertain but I would advise you, as a precaution, to change your paypal information in case you are being scammed. My wife received emails saying she had a dispute and to log in and here it was someone trying to get our paypal account information. (if you go to www.paypal.com and it still appears then it is confirmed) but it is worth investigating, especially if the buyer says they did not open a dispute.

[quote name='Jedi1979']damn...that is a nice feature...cant seem to find it though on the site...[/QUOTE]

I just found it - go to "Profile" then in the right column ("Selling Preferences") it is under "Payment Receiving Preferences". I changed it to "Ask Me". I'll probably accept most of them, but this at least sets it up such that I can reject them more easily (rather than sending a refund after the fact which I have done in the past).

[quote name='io']I just found it - go to "Profile" then in the right column ("Selling Preferences") it is under "Payment Receiving Preferences". I changed it to "Ask Me". I'll probably accept most of them, but this at least sets it up such that I can reject them more easily (rather than sending a refund after the fact which I have done in the past).[/quote]

excellent...i did the same...Thanks!!

If it is not fixed quickly I would leave Negative Feedback to warn other sellers. 0 feedback, 1 purchase around Xmas and disputing. An accident is one thing, a scam is another. If it is an accident it should be resolved quickly. If not, do what you can with paypal, and leave negative on eBay.

[quote name='io']Well, damn, I wish I had known about that - I'll have to check it out. I know I've complained about this before here and no one ever pointed these things out - thanks guys![/quote]

We usually don't listen to you... ;):lol:

bread's done
Back