Songs that Sounds Eerily Similar/Alike

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
It took me awhile to think of The Beatles song that sounded similar to The Offspring's Why Don't You Get A Job, but it's pretty much clear as day that they're the same rythm, etc.

The Beatles – Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X0O7yUJBeTw

The Offspring – Why Don't You Get a Job?

Weezer – Hash Pipe
Gwen Stefani – What You Waiting For?

Killing Joke – Eighties
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Zlf_17hecY
Nirvana – Come as You Are

Metallica – Battery
Sum 41 – The Bitter End

Anybody have any others?

I don't know the second song, but the band SR71's one-hit wonder song was "Right Now," and they immediately followed it up with a song that, I swear, was just different words.

"Dani California" by the RHCP and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty are pretty damn similar. I wish I still had the link to the radio DJs playing the two songs over one another. It makes you wonder if the Chili Peppers knew what they were doin'.

The Killing Joke/Nirvana was so close that there was even a lawsuit settled out of court. It's been jokingly said (no pun intended) that Dave Grohl played drums on Killing Joke's 2003 album as part of the settlement.

Also check out the Husker Du song "Beyond The Threshold" compaired to Pearl Jam's "Spin the Black Circle" - very, very similar guitar line.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']"Dani California" by the RHCP and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty are pretty damn similar. I wish I still had the link to the radio DJs playing the two songs over one another. It makes you wonder if the Chili Peppers knew what they were doin'.[/QUOTE]
What? They are not that similar.

You can find coincidences in almost any song within the same genre if you play them over each other and look hard enough. It's been forever since I took some sort of music class, but I remember that there isn't much variation when it comes to basic patterns in music.

Of course, there are always those instances where the similarities are blatantly obvious. See: Offspring.

Twisted Sister: We're not gonna take
Presidents of the USA: We're not gonna Make It

Those always sounded familiar to me.

One of my favorites was pointed out to me in College. Take out the guitars and compare the following:

Queen: We Will Rock You
Shania Twain: Any Man Of Mine

[quote name='Ugamer_X']What? They are not that similar.

You can find coincidences in almost any song within the same genre if you play them over each other and look hard enough. It's been forever since I took some sort of music class, but I remember that there isn't much variation when it comes to basic patterns in music.[/QUOTE]

Have you heard them played over one another?

I'll try to find the link.

http://media.spin.com/features/news/audio/2006/06/pettyvspeppers_hi.mp3

That's not what I was looking for but it has the beginning of both played after one another.

And yeah, Rick Rubin produced both.

I wasn't saying it was a big deal, I just thought it was kinda funny, that's all.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Have you heard them played over one another?

I'll try to find the link.

http://media.spin.com/features/news/audio/2006/06/pettyvspeppers_hi.mp3

That's not what I was looking for but it has the beginning of both played after one another.

And yeah, Rick Rubin produced both.

I wasn't saying it was a big deal, I just thought it was kinda funny, that's all.[/QUOTE]
Yeah the drums at the beginning are similar, I just think there are far better choices.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Yeah the drums at the beginning are similar, I just think there are far better choices.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

The beginning of the Black Keys' "You're the One" and Matisyahu's "Warrior" sound very similar to me.

Why Don't You Get a Job actually reminds me more of Cecilia, but that's probably just because I'm insane.

So Cold - Breaking Benjamin
Spiders - SOAD

No Doubt - Six Feet Under
The Hippos - Struggling

all the rap and pop songs done from the present to the last few decades. the majority of it all sounds so much aliek you hear it on the radio and you cant tell who the hell it is until they say their names. and even then you still dont know who it is. theres a few exceptions to the rule but you rearely ever see those or hear those songs damn payolla.

[quote name='FunkyDoRight']Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie

Of couse his is dum dum dum dum dum dum dum tick[/quote]

Is there a story behind this? I mean, when I first heard that Queen song, I thought Ice Ice Baby ripped it off (or did the Queen song come later?)

I just thought of another:

Sum 41 - In Too Deep
And the beginning/song from The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth (I can't remember its name so maybe someone can help me out. Otherwise, the opening of the song and music to the chorus are pretty much exact.

Tommy Henriksen ripped off - badly - Roxette's "Run To You". Yeah, yeah, I can hear it now....."who's Roxette?" Anyway...

Tommy Henriksen "I See The Sun"
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EL-usqYzZY[/MEDIA]

Roxette "Run To You"
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCNYgIOrqvY[/MEDIA]

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I just thought of another:

Sum 41 - In Too Deep
And the beginning/song from The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth (I can't remember its name so maybe someone can help me out. Otherwise, the opening of the song and music to the chorus are pretty much exact.[/QUOTE]
You Only Live Once?

[quote name='Judhudson']Is there a story behind this? I mean, when I first heard that Queen song, I thought Ice Ice Baby ripped it off (or did the Queen song come later?)[/quote]

Calm down Plume...you're just old...take a deep breath...

I used to know a lot...but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

But, I remember there was a recent KISS song that Alice Cooper's people sued over because it was too similar to "I'm Eighteen" - they either settled or Alice won, I forgot which...

[quote name='Richlough']Huey Lewis & the News - I Want A New Drug

Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters[/QUOTE]

For the record, Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. and settled out of court in 1995. Never was there such a blatant rip-off (with the exception of Vanilla Ice stealing from Queen/Bowie which was mentioned already).

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. / U2 - Staring At the Sun
Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated / Coldplay - Yellow

Those were 2 I noticed as soon as I heard them the first time.

When I think about Nickelback and Dashboard Confessional, I think of this movie poster I saw photoshopped once that said:

"Kevin Costner IS......Kevin Costner."

That's exactly how I feel about those two bands - always f*cking the same thing over and over.

[quote name='reibeatall']Any Metallica song and any other Metallica song.[/QUOTE]
I think your ears are broken, please have them replaced. Here and there, sure. That's the case with many bands. "Any" and "any" is rigoddamndiculous.

On a related note, Glenn Danzig has accused both Metallica (for "Thorn Within") and Stone Temple Pilots (for "Sex Type Thing") for ripping off the riff from "Snakes of Christ." It's kind of a stretch, but I guess I can see what he's saying. The Metallica one is a more noteworthy offender than the STP song. I'll do a clip later, unless I don't.

Jerry Only (Misfits) has accused Metallica of swiping a song TITLE from him, as he sent them a tape with a song called "Wherever I Roam" in 1989, before the black album came out.

Stealing one riff or one part is almost worse to me than just swiping the entire song - it's like the band is saying "We'll just take this ONE part and no one will notice! Hee hee hee!" They're COWARDLY thieves rather than BOLD thieves.

[quote name='reibeatall']Any Metallica song and any other Metallica song.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets sound exactly alike.

The intro to both The Clash "Train in Vain" and Garbage "Stupid Girl" are stupidly similar.

What a coincidence .. they just talked about this subject Tuesday morning on the Stern show. Here's what they came up with:

Huey Lewis and the News’ “I Want a New Drug” – Ray Parker Jr.’s “Ghostbusters”

• The Kinks’ “All Day and All of the Night” – the Doors’ “Hello I Love You”

• “Taurus” by Spirit – Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven”

• Prince’s “1999” – “Sussudio” by Phil Collins

• The Beatles’ “Tax Man” – The Jam’s “Start!”

• The theme song from “The Banana Splits” – Bob Marley’s “Buffalo Soldier”

• The Beatles’ “Don’t Let Me Down” – Rod Stewart’s “The Killing of Georgie”

[quote name='Strell']I don't know the second song, but the band SR71's one-hit wonder song was "Right Now," and they immediately followed it up with a song that, I swear, was just different words.[/quote]Do you mean that SR-71 released a follow-up very similar musically? I'm not familiar with it, but I'm a big SR-71 fan. "Right Now" sounds quite a bit like a few other songs released around the same time though, "Fat Lip" by Sum 41, and "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit for example.

They (SR-71) did write a sequel to "Right Now" called "She Was Dead", similar in tone, but completely different musically.

[quote name='Strell']This was a song from the same band that sounded exactly like that first song.[/quote]Huh, I don't know which you're referring to. I'll have to give them a listen again and see.

You could hum "Right Now" as it played and everything matched up - the beat, guitar solo times, the way the lead was singing the lyrics, etc etc.

It was amazing. I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I just thought of another:

Sum 41 - In Too Deep
And the beginning/song from The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth (I can't remember its name so maybe someone can help me out. Otherwise, the opening of the song and music to the chorus are pretty much exact.[/quote]

The only parts that are similar are the opening. After that they are completly different.

I dont recall if the rest are the same but I know the openings are identical for American Girl (Tom Petty) and Last Night (The Strokes).

bread's done
Back