Sonic Advance Series - Worth Bothering With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacrana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I've been a big fan of the Genesis Sonic games and I've been considering getting the Sonic Advance series for a while... but I'm not sure whether or not they're as good as the Genesis games. The videos I saw of the games looked pretty weak, but I'm wondering if there's something great I'm missing or if the Sonic Advance series is "meh" like other recent Sonic offerings.

[quote name='Chacrana']I've got Rush actually. So the Advance series is pretty mediocre and not worth the time then?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I'm a bad person to ask honestly.

Never played SA 1, for some reason I hated SA 2, as soon as it felt like you were gaining speed there would be a cliff or a chasm and you'd die. It got REALLY bad on some canyon stage, where it was nothing but large, wide open spaces... it really turned me off on the game.

I bought SA 3 in the hopes that it would be better, but I've yet to play it.

The first Sonic advance is my favorite. SA 2 and SA3 took the typical sonic platformer in new and different directions. I havent played SA3 but SA2 was probably one of the hardest sonic games Ive played. I think you should get the series if ur a sonic fan because none of the games are actually bad, they just take the series in a different direction and they are worth playing.

[quote name='gforce007']The first Sonic advance is my favorite. SA 2 and SA3 took the typical sonic platformer in new and different directions. I havent played SA3 but SA2 was probably one of the hardest sonic games Ive played. I think you should get the series if ur a sonic fan because none of the games are actually bad, they just take the series in a different direction and they are worth playing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but are they great? The Genesis Sonic games (namely 2, 3 and Knuckles) have held up really well and I'd still play them, but with the Advance series, would the games worth playing through again or are they merely good games?

I liked the first one, but didn't care for 2 or 3. I didn't like Sonic Rush either. Sonic Advance is the only one of those four to be made by Sonic Team (the rest are made by Dimps).

EDIT: I think Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles are better than Sonic Advance. But Advance stands up against the original and CD.

I got Advance 2 for $10, eventually played it for about 10 minutes and realized I'd never want to play it again. The screen felt too small for a game where you'd have to quickly react to obstacles. Ended up trading it in towards Nintendogs.

[quote name='pete5883']I got Advance 2 for $10, eventually played it for about 10 minutes and realized I'd never want to play it again. The screen felt too small for a game where you'd have to quickly react to obstacles. Ended up trading it in towards Nintendogs.[/QUOTE]

gameboy player? :whistle2:o

I say if you really like the sonic games then give the advance series a shot. Like people said its not exactly the same, but if you complain about that you better not be one of those people who complain about nintendo putting out all the old mario games on gba too.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I liked the first one, but didn't care for 2 or 3. I didn't like Sonic Rush either. Sonic Advance is the only one of those four to be made by Sonic Team (the rest are made by Dimps).

EDIT: I think Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles are better than Sonic Advance. But Advance stands up against the original and CD.[/QUOTE]

Right on the money - the first Advance is decent, but not as good as the genesis titles. The others just blow the big one.
Dimps actually did make the first Sonic Advance, though. They also made the game gear ones.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']Right on the money - the first Advance is decent, but not as good as the genesis titles. The others just blow the big one.
Dimps actually did make the first Sonic Advance, though. They also made the game gear ones.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to pass on the Sonic Advances and stick with the Genesis ones... hell, even Sonic Rush felt kinda ghetto due to it's awful boss battles.

[quote name='gforce007']that's weird Chacrana, I thought Sonic Rush was awesome[/QUOTE]
Same here Sonic Rush is fucking great!

I re-shrinkwrapped and returned the shit out of Sonic Rush after like two days! Aside from the horrendous music, the gameplay is mindless and incredibly cheap. It has good graphics, but who cares?

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']I re-shrinkwrapped and returned the shit out of Sonic Rush after like two days! Aside from the horrendous music, the gameplay is mindless and incredibly cheap. It has good graphics, but who cares?[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the Sonic series in a nutshell? Sonic is at its best when you're just blazing through levels, enjoying the speed. But "at its best" just means that that's what suits the gameplay best. Whether you like that or not is another matter.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']I re-shrinkwrapped and returned the shit out of Sonic Rush after like two days! Aside from the horrendous music, the gameplay is mindless and incredibly cheap. It has good graphics, but who cares?[/QUOTE]

Cheap how?

[quote name='FurryCurry']Cheap how?[/QUOTE]

I thought some of the boss battles were cheap. Namely the first boss' ability to knock you off the stage instantly with one of his moves.

I mean, I finished the game, but I don't think I'd play it again... it just felt very average.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']I re-shrinkwrapped and returned the shit out of Sonic Rush after like two days! [/QUOTE]
Asshole. WE ARE CAGS NOT SCAMMERS!

likes other have said.. RUSH.. is what Sonic game should be & always be... a 2-D game...

I did like sonic adventure on the dreamcast... but it's not the same or nearly as fun as the 2-D sonic games...

Sonic Rush is 1 of my favo DS games... Don't even bother with advance & just get the genesis version...

Wow, I feel left out here. Sonic Advance 2 is probably my favorite Sonic game ever. Sonic Rush is also great. I think you should try the Advance series, they are very solid games.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']Isn't that the Sonic series in a nutshell? Sonic is at its best when you're just blazing through levels, enjoying the speed. But "at its best" just means that that's what suits the gameplay best. Whether you like that or not is another matter.[/QUOTE]

A common misconception about Sonic games that even Dimps fell into is that it's all about blazing through levels. If you play Sonic 1-4 (which are, in my opinion, the best), you'll realize that there is a lot of Mario-esque platforming throughout the stages. Basically, you get to run a lot, but you also walk and jump a lot, too. I feel the gameplay is much more balanced in the originals.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Cheap how?[/QUOTE]

While you are blasting through a stage at top speed, a random spike or enemy will appear in front of you and take your rings away. It happens so often that it takes the fun out of going fast in most areas.

[quote name='spoo']Asshole. WE ARE CAGS NOT SCAMMERS![/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I didn't scam shit! It's not like I returned a freaking stick of gum in place of the game! Your parents should re-shrinkwrap you and return you to the hospital.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']What are you talking about? I didn't scam shit! It's not like I returned a freaking stick of gum in place of the game! Your parents should re-shrinkwrap you and return you to the hospital.[/QUOTE]

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! So just because no one sees you doing it or knows it, deems your actions as okay? Yeah, we will see how liberal you are when a common criminal robs your mom at gunpoint in a dark alley because he says "as long as no one sees it, fuck it!" Or when someone breaks into your car because as long as no one sees it, it ain't illegal.

Maybe you oughtta reshrinkwrap yourself and get the heck out of the United States if you don't like the way business is run in this great country. Commy...no, your ideas are far worse, anarchy.

[quote name='nintendokid']HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! So just because no one sees you doing it or knows it, deems your actions as okay? Yeah, we will see how liberal you are when a common criminal robs your mom at gunpoint in a dark alley because he says "as long as no one sees it, fuck it!" Or when someone breaks into your car because as long as no one sees it, it ain't illegal.

Maybe you oughtta reshrinkwrap yourself and get the heck out of the United States if you don't like the way business is run in this great country. Commy...no, your ideas are far worse, anarchy.[/QUOTE]

With the wealth of knowledge from these past few posts, I feel like I'm at gamefaqs.com. It's actually nothing like comparing your dad robbing my mom at gunpoint, because that's ROBBERY. Nothing was STOLEN in this instance. Actually, if anything was stolen, it was MY 2 hours of time playing a crappy game. So, if anything, I should be the one who is reciprocated by Sega and the Dimps Corporation.

P.S. you may want to look up the definition of Anarchy before you use it again...

It's funny I have all 3 sonic advance games and only played the first one. It was ok. I think Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles were really the best games. If you want a portable sonic similar to Sonic 2 get the Neo Geo Pocket game.

[quote name='jkam']It's funny I have all 3 sonic advance games and only played the first one. It was ok. I think Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles were really the best games. If you want a portable sonic similar to Sonic 2 get the Neo Geo Pocket game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The Advance series felt like they tried transitioning the Adventure gameplay to 2D (hold down one button and watch the level blaze by). The music was for the most part mediocre, except for the classic remixes. Advance 2 bosses were lame. Rush is definitely the best of the Dimps Sonic titles, I actually liked that one. Nothing touches Sonic 3 & Knuckles though. Nothing.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Agreed. The Advance series felt like they tried transitioning the Adventure gameplay to 2D (hold down one button and watch the level blaze by). The music was for the most part mediocre, except for the classic remixes. Advance 2 bosses were lame. Rush is definitely the best of the Dimps Sonic titles, I actually liked that one. Nothing touches Sonic 3 & Knuckles though. Nothing.[/QUOTE]

I wish you could just hold down and leisurely play the Adventure games, ala old school Sonic.... Those freaking gem collecting levels ruined it!

Sonic Advance 2 is one of the best 2D Sonics ever, though Super Mario World on GBA blows it out of the water.

[quote name='Rozz']I wish you could just hold down and leisurely play the Adventure games, ala old school Sonic.... Those freaking gem collecting levels ruined it!

Sonic Advance 2 is one of the best 2D Sonics ever, though Super Mario World on GBA blows it out of the water.[/QUOTE]

Those stages were awful. The only time I had fun with a non-Sonic stage was when I ran around pretending I was playing a normal level and not hunting for emeralds. Ironically, the generally most disliked 3D Sonic, Sonic Heroes, was my favorite of the three.

I still can't agree with you about Advance 2 though, or any in that series for that matter. But I guess we can agree to disagree =oP

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back