Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2

hellspawnuchiha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Let’s go back to 1993, shall we? The Sega CD (or Mega CD in the UK) was displaying some quality titles for its time, showing off the capabilities of a disc based game. In November of the same year, we were treated with what is hailed as one of the greatest Sonic games, and to some extent the best Sega CD game. Hell, even mariotehplumber and Gligar13 liked it!

Anyways, The game is hailed for the brilliantly drawn animations, beautiful graphics, as well as the openness of the levels and the numerous paths you can take in just one level. This game first introduced us to Amy, Sonic’s number one fan, and the cold Metal Sonic, the relentless adversary to the blue blur. We first see him (It?) in Collision Chaos Zone, where after Amy follows you a little she gets captured by Metal Sonic. As you speed through the zones, collecting the Time Stones and saving the Future, you wind up racing Metal Sonic in the Stardust Speedway, beating him and saving Amy.

Why am I mentioning Sonic CD? Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2 has a large amount of plot devices from said game. After his defeat in the Death Egg from Sonic, Eggman notices that Little Planet is back on its yearly visit. Last we saw of Metal Sonic, he was stuck on the planet… Reviving Metal Sonic and capturing the planet, Eggman intends to harness the power to create his new machine! However Sonic, with the help of Tails, will see to it that Little Planet is frre and Eggman is thwarted!

Gameplay

Like the previous game, this is a side scroller in homage to the classics, as fans have yearned for. A lot of bugs from the first game have been fixed, such as the rolling feeling more weighted and traveling much faster. A notable bug that fans have mentioned, being able to stay on a wall during running, has been for the most part fixed, though only rarely did it happen for me in 1 or 2.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is quite easier than its predecessor with the help of Tails, and the revamped 3D Special Stages from the second Sonic game, but still has a good amount of challenge that made the series well liked. In the third stage of the White Park Zone, you must maneuver walruses creating blocks of ice around themselves while finding air bubbles and the way to the surface. Most of the boss battles, however, are easily beaten. It is noteworthy when a game has an achievement for completing the game in one sitting (Endurance Run).
The controls for Sonic 4 Episode 2 are really simple, and can be adapted to on the spot. One little problem I had with Sonic 4 Episode One on a mobile Device (I used WP7), is how controlling Sonic took up a big portion of the screen, so I cannot imagine how the Apple/Android versions of Two fair with the added button (I will admit I’ve only played on Xbox 360, as Sega has yet to release on the Windows Phone).
The inclusion of Tails adds numerous additions to gameplay, such as the ability to fly (obviously), a friendly AI to help out in some situations (YES, he DOES help out. It’s not how people say it is), and a Power Roll which can be used to plow through certain obstacles as well as enemies at high speeds. One problem I find with this is how Tails’ abilities can make the game less challenging due to a no cooldown system. Some levels can even be plowed through just by using a Power Roll, making it too easy. I don’t personally mind a little help, but at least make it balanced so it has some challenge. This is worsened by a little exploit in multiplayer where if one character leaves the screen while the flying power has been used, the limit resets, causing the possibility of unlimited flight.

STORY:
Simmering from the destruction of the Death Egg, Eggman notices Little Planet is back, and captures the planet, as well as revives Metal Sonic from his crushing defeat in CD. Sonic teams up with Tails to stop Eggman and Metal Sonic from utilizing Little Planet as a weapon.

Sonic 4.2 adds more detailed cutscenes, which help explain the story through actions more than words. This is because Sonic Team went with the nostalgic “Silent Talking” whenever the characters conversed. Most notable, are cutscenes before the bosses, and during certain moments in the levels, such as in Sky Act Act 1. There are a few problems in the storytelling through this method, as the White Park Boss Custscene seems to just come out of nowhere unless you play Episode Metal, which I will cover later. Another problem (WARNING SPOILERS) is the ending, and how it didn’t really seem to resolve much other than shutting down the Death Egg MK. II. Did Little Planet somehow get released? Can’t Eggman just repower the machine, and continue work on the planet?

VISUALS:

Sonic 4.2’s graphics are well done in 1080p, from the illuminating lights of White Zone to the lush forests of Sylvania castle. Everything visual wise you’d expect in a Sonic game is here. The one note I’d make is how Sonic’s shading is a little off, as he seems to mesh weirdly in his blue areas

OVERALL:
Sonic 4 Episode 2 is a solid title for Sonic fans to enjoy despite its easier challenge and odd plot nitpicks. It’s available for 1200 MSP on Xbox LIVE, $14.99 on PSN, $6.99 on Google Play, and $6.99 for Apple products. If you are unsure on whether or not to get it for a console, it would be best to wait until a sale, as Sonic games tend to go on sale semi often on certain occasions.

I'm liking the feel of the game so far. It's a great step up from episode 1. I also think it competes well with Sonic Fan Remix and Sonic Generations. Sega has finally been treating Sonic well.

bread's done
Back