Sony 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo press release

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I have a 16gb and was debating another but here comes the 32GB which means the 16gb should come down in price when this is released.

Aimed at HD Video but will work in any PSP.

Flame about proprietary media somewhere else, we all know Sony is the Devil.

Why would anyone want THAT much storage on a PSP? Convenience and the rest we cannot talk about here.

Press Release

13 July 2009 8:0
Bigger, Faster, Better: The New Super-High Capacity 32GB Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX

displaymedia.asp

Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX

• Highest available capacity – 32GB comes to Memory Stick HX family
• Super-fast 20MB/second data transfer significantly shortens the wait
• Perfect for High Definition camcorders – or anyone handling large volumes of images

Sony has launched the largest-ever capacity Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX, crowning the
range with a massive 32GB model. Memory Stick HX already delivers impressive speed,
so the introduction of a 32GB version makes it the perfect choice for handling the very
large files created when filming in High Definition video. The huge amount of space is
also ideal for still photography, whether you are using a sophisticated DSLR like the Sony
α, or a compact, go-anywhere Cybershot.

Camcorder users can shoot in Full HD mode (1920 x 1080) for an impressive 225 minutes
using a single 32GB Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX, virtually eliminating the nagging worry
about how much space is left.

Freedom to concentrate on creating outstanding HD video is matched by trademark
Memory Stick HX performance. Using the included USB adaptor, read speeds of 20MB/s
and write speeds of 15MB/s1 are achievable, so you spend a lot less time waiting for your
video to transfer to your PC.

This potent combination of size and speed is equally good news for owners of technically
advanced DSLRs like the Sony α with its continuous shooting capability. Alternatively,
anyone with a compact digital camera who simply never wants to worry about filling up
the memory now has the ideal solution.

The Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX range also includes 4GB, 8GB and 16GB models, and
all versions are supplied with the free USB adaptor for optimum performance and easy
connection to a huge range of hardware.

Notes to Editors:

1 This speed is based on tests with optimised host compliant devices. Actual data transfer
speed is dependent on host hardware. Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX achieves 20MB/s in
reading mode, 15MB/s in writing mode in combination with supplied USB adaptor
MSAC-UAH1.

With much of the PSP library going digital in October, there is a legitimate desire to have that much storage space. I wonder if Sony has considered offering downloads in a compressed format (.cso). Of course they wouldn't, they want us all to buy their memory sticks. :)

Hopefully it's reasonably priced, though I doubt it will compare to the price of buying that pro duo adapter that has it's own thread on this forum. Combining this with a PSP that has a UMD drive seems like a much better option than getting the PSP Go as well. Now I just need an extended battery that fits into the back of a slim without sticking out.

As for your question, there is plenty of legit reasons to want this for a PSP. Easy storage of a vast PSOne library available on the PSN plus the option of trading in some of your UMDs for downloadable versions makes this stick a great choice.

[quote name='keithp']Probably will cost way more than I'll be willing to spend.[/QUOTE]

Yeah for sure. Hopefully the price dips to a point after several months where it'll be much more affordable.

My 8GB card is almost filled because of FFVII :whistle2:#.

I have a 16gb and two 8gb sticks. Even though I could swap sticks in and out, I just want to leave the 16gb in there and be done with it. I don't like not knowing where my games saves or other files are.

I imagine these will work on the GO! so I am hoping for a decent price as people are going to fill up that 16gb pretty fast if the games are 1gb apiece or so.

16gb Sony sticks are $72 at Amazon and I bought mine a while back from Frys for $70 so if this was $120 or so I would be in. Guessing it will be around $200-$299 though.

I already put together a 32 GB memory stick duo for about $75. Frys had 16GB microsdhc cards for $35 shipped after a $15 rebate (bought 2) and dealextreme has the adapter that converts 2 microsdhc cards into one memory stick pro duo card for $5. Formatted it and it works like a charm. I was able to put my entire collection of about 40 psp games onto one memory stick and haul it around with me instead of my album full of umds. Very cool stuff.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I already put together a 32 GB memory stick duo for about $75. Frys had 16GB microsdhc cards for $35 shipped after a $15 rebate (bought 2) and dealextreme has the adapter that converts 2 microsdhc cards into one memory stick pro duo card for $5. Formatted it and it works like a charm. I was able to put my entire collection of about 40 psp games onto one memory stick and haul it around with me instead of my album full of umds. Very cool stuff.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I thought about doing that but like to have the real deal and have heard about slow loading, framerate chugs, not fitting correctly, corrupted data, etc. And the fact the the PSP will actually save across the two sticks makes them forever inseparable.

Maybe yours works fine, but I like to know my saves and games are secure and only in one spot. I also have a pet peave about framerate.

[quote name='Nephilim']I imagine these will work on the GO! so I am hoping for a decent price as people are going to fill up that 16gb pretty fast if the games are 1gb apiece or so.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the PSP GO will use Pro Duo Micro or whatever it's called, so I don't think this will work on it.

[quote name='Ryukahn']IIRC, the PSP GO will use Pro Duo Micro or whatever it's called, so I don't think this will work on it.[/QUOTE]

you are correct sir. Dang it, looks like they can price this thing sky high unless they take into consideration the PSP users and UMD collection transfers.

I have been using an adapter with two microshdc for little over a year now. No problems yet and I did not notice any difference with loading times. I have a 2000 psp. I'm not sure how well the older model will work with it and the speed of the micocard probably will make a difference. I believe I bought one of the faster models. Cost was about $45.

I remember reading a long time ago in a computer magazine that 32 GB was the maximum the PSP could handle. Now, I wonder how much capacity these newer HG HX memory sticks are going to be.

I'd definitely pick up one of these 32GB sticks at a reasonable price just to see if I could put everything from the PSN on it. Wishful thinking of course that would cost a fortune! :)

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I have been using an adapter with two microshdc for little over a year now. No problems yet and I did not notice any difference with loading times. I have a 2000 psp. I'm not sure how well the older model will work with it and the speed of the micocard probably will make a difference. I believe I bought one of the faster models. Cost was about $45.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any problems yet either. I ripped all my own games as clean ISO files and not CSO. CSO are compacted and can have slower loading times and stuttering problems in certain games. I also did not want to deal with bad rips, spyware, and viruses that seem to come from downloading games off the net. I don't think the speed of the two microsd cards really matters too much as I bought the cheapest cards I could find and haven't noticed any problems.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I haven't had any problems yet either. I ripped all my own games as clean ISO files and not CSO. CSO are compacted and can have slower loading times and stuttering problems in certain games. I also did not want to deal with bad rips, spyware, and viruses that seem to come from downloading games off the net. I don't think the speed of the two microsd cards really matters too much as I bought the cheapest cards I could find and haven't noticed any problems.[/QUOTE]

Just to add more anecdotal evidence, I'm using the Photofast MicroSD adapter with 2 A-Data 16 GB Class 6 cards, and I do compress my UMDs down to CSO files. I have zero lag, zero stuttering, zero problems. 32 GB months ahead of Sony's Pro Duos, and for what is likely less money? Sign me up, please!

It's also worth noting that there will be 32 GB MicroSDs coming out soon. 64 GB in my PSP sounds pretty nice to me! :D

bread's done
Back