Sony Banned my gamesharing account

[quote name='coleipoo']1. The group started on CAG, with all CAG members. It was one group to share a large amount of random PSN titles, like the dozen or so other groups that do it on CAG.
2. All of the 5 members were reputable and have done gamesharing before. One of the members never payed, so he never got account info. That means there are 4 of us, with one more share available (not anymore).
3. I can play the games I downloaded from the group, and so can the other members. The problem is getting back on the account to download games one member missed.

With all this talk of gamesharing being illegal and what not, why even allow it on CAG in the first place? Why is the topic a fucking sticky on the PS3 forums?[/QUOTE]

Yes, all of this. I'm on a gameshare and we usually get at least 1 release per month. Maybe it was just a flaw in their design and Tretton was trying to spin it to sound like they did it on purpose, but people do it all the time and it's certainly not illegal.

Were you guys trying to play Warhawk? It and a few other games don't allow gameshared copies to be played simultaneously - if you try to log in while someone else is on it, it's unplayable for maybe 24 hours. Something like this could have happened. That or someone else on your account did something shady.

[quote name='coleipoo']+1 for Lebowski reference.

I just don't understand where all the hate is coming from.[/QUOTE]

Its the internet and people have to find something (usually worthless) to bitch about. Usually because they have nothing better going on. If all those people actually put their energy into some cause that was worthwhile ie opposing the the co-opting of our political system by big business. No, people rather bitch at you over this.

Another thought OP: Did you create a social group here on CAG? If so, are you the leader of that group and ARE YOU SURE that you clicked the box saying something like "social group only viewable by members"????

My rockband group had a hiccup cause that box wasn't checked and someone came in, saw our group info, and stole what they could real quick.

EDIT: THIS group of yours and so is the group discussed in this thread: RANDOM PS3 game share

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT...MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!!

@
coleipoo: your in a group with dr. strangepork?!?!? he's from my rockband group.....small CAG world!!!

The login info wasn't posted in the social group so I don't think anyone got in and stole it.

It was sent out via PM's

[quote name='shadowkast']Another thought OP: Did you create a social group here on CAG? If so, are you the leader of that group and ARE YOU SURE that you clicked the box saying something like "social group only viewable by members"????

My rockband group had a hiccup cause that box wasn't checked and someone came in, saw our group info, and stole what they could real quick.

EDIT: THIS group of yours and so is the group discussed in this thread: RANDOM PS3 game share

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT...MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!!

@
coleipoo: your in a group with dr. strangepork?!?!? he's from my rockband group.....small CAG world!!!
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='georox']If there is no risk, then it is a legal, acceptable practice, and Sony would encourage it, or have a tool built in saying "Send this game to up to four friends" even though you only bought the rights for you to play it.

There is a risk. It is shady activity. It is not promoted by Sony.[/QUOTE]

Look, we can go on and on... If you're talking about risks like getting hit by a car or crash in a plane, then everything have risks!

Come on, there's always a line somewhere and I admire where you stand on this PSN sharing. However, ask yourself this:

• Do you file taxes on the internet purchases? You know... all of those deals you have gotten from CAG involves "no taxes."
  • Do you ever use a coupon saying "DO NOT DUPLICATE?"
  • Do you ever claim multiple rebates using different addresses?
  • My favorite, do you ever create a new e-mail account to activate a new customer coupon?
  • Do you ever take advantage of glitches? The famous one being the BB's B2G1 sandwich glitch....
  • Do you pre-order just to get the freebies and cancel it later?
As you can see, the list goes on and on. It's pointless to shout PSN sharing is "illegal" because if it's "allowed," Sony should have advertised it.

Not everything has to be advertised in order to take advantage of it. What? You don't believe me? Do the IRS ever tell you not to do this or that on the taxes so that you can max out to your benefit?

Come on, stop being a saint when the very existence of CAG is based on this thin red line.

As far as PSN sharing goes, an account with funds is an investment, it's no different from stock market. Each account has FIVE shares. The value of the share is really total fund divided by FIVE. While it's unethical to transfer or sell the share repeatedly, but there's nothing wrong with it, just like you're allowed to sell a used game to another buyer (2nd hand, 3rd hand, 4th hand, what's the difference? Only difference is that the PSN games are in mint condition and will always run as long as the sharing account can be registered on the destinated PS3.)

maybe one of the 4 members who got the games dl it to 2 systems. Prob not but just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Serpenator.

As far as the group goes, I did everything right. Kept everything safe, private, secure. It's not that big of a loss, as only two of the members missed a few games. But I did lose one of the shares because the account is locked up now. So basically I had to eat up 2 shares for one.

It could be worse, but I just want to get to the bottom of this.

[quote name='Serpentor']

• Do you file taxes on the internet purchases? You know... all of those deals you have gotten from CAG involves "no taxes."
  • Do you ever use a coupon saying "DO NOT DUPLICATE?"
  • Do you ever claim multiple rebates using different addresses?
  • My favorite, do you ever create a new e-mail account to activate a new customer coupon?
  • Do you ever take advantage of glitches? The famous one being the BB's B2G1 sandwich glitch....
  • Do you pre-order just to get the freebies and cancel it later?

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I don't do any of that, and there is no taxes up here. Yea, you can gameshare, but it is a risk and if you're not willing to deal with what happens and then go complain about it, that's your own fault. If gamesharing was something they really wanted you to do like this they would have set it up another way. If you get caught well tough luck. The way I see the 5 limit thing is using your main account and sharing it with your friends if you're at their house and want to play it there. Or downloading it on a new ps3 you may get and not having to worry about contacting Sony to get games reauthorize to your new PS3 like MS does where you have to be online.

[quote name='Thongsy']Yea, I don't do any of that, and there is no taxes up here. Yea, you can gameshare, but it is a risk and if you're not willing to deal with what happens and then go complain about it, that's your own fault. If gamesharing was something they really wanted you to do like this they would have set it up another way. If you get caught well tough luck. The way I see the 5 limit thing is using your main account and sharing it with your friends if you're at their house and want to play it there. Or downloading it on a new ps3 you may get and not having to worry about contacting Sony to get games reauthorize to your new PS3 like MS does where you have to be online.[/QUOTE]

Well, Mr Saint has spoken, good for you :)

The OP complained because he got lost in the sharing net, which is quite common if you don't keep track of things. The fault being, he got frustrated and didn't start the thread in proper or inviting way. This is why people see game sharing in a negative way, i.e. it's risky, not worth it, see that dude? that's what happens...

Thongsy, you said it yourself, the FIVE shares are for friends, so you can go to their house and play your games or another friend's games in the sharing circle. So, ask yourself again, what's the difference what you just said with the sharing thread here at CAG? The only difference i see is that i don't go to the fellow CAG's house and play the games in the shared account.

The same kind of problem the OP experienced can happen to anyone who shared, regardless real friends or family members. The only total control you have is sharing among yourself, i.e. have multiple PS3s in the house (unless of course you have multiple personality disorder :lol:). As long as you share with another human being, you will run into some sort of problem (ahem, risk as you would like to call it). No matter how many times you tell your friend or your sister not to log in as you, he/she will still do it (accidentally or intentionally if you're being a prick to them).

The real problem with PSN sharing is that people don't understand it fully. It's a privilege, it should be treated as such, it's not a right. If you don't take advantage of the privilege, that's certainly your rights, but please please no sour grape comments. If you do take advantage of it, please do it responsibly, treat it with respect.

[quote name='Sito']any update on this?[/QUOTE]

It was never a problem, the account was fine... There were communication problems between sharing account members.

I'm tracking this thread because i really want to fix the negative connotation that people have with PSN game sharing. Sharing is good, sharing saves you money, sharing saves our planet too :)

I'm not sure this topic has been discussed on CAG or not (i'm pretty sure it did, most likely in private CAG communities). CAGs should create game sharing circles (not PSN games, but all games in general). You know, certain games you just want to try out or simply beat it for pleasure or trophy/achievement. It's like a GameFly thing within CAG, you pay the postage and etc... Of course, this requires pure HONESTY, otherwise it will be very RISKY (i love to use that word now :lol:).

[quote name='kurrptsenate']you'd probably want more than 1 feedback score to start something like that. I would suggest 30+[/QUOTE]

Of course, that's a problem within itself... It's all risky really. First off, the numbers are just number, it doesn't really guarantee you anything, nevertheless they're good indications, like stock performances. Then there goes the "willingness to share," the numbers don't dictate that at all. They simply means the particular CAGs like to trade/sell. Are they willing to share? Sharing doesn't involve monetary gains, but "objective" value gains (for example, platinum trophy for Harry Potter Half Blood Prince at $0-$1 sharing rather than $10 owning the game).

I have to be honest here, most games after beating them, i don't play them anymore. Trading/Selling don't yield much "value" as sharing them (say, Wanted: Weapon of Fate, if i lend it to another CAG for $0-$1 and let it go around the sharing circle, i think the final "value" is a lot more than $4-$10 from trading/selling).

I think i'll start off with the circle of CAG friends in the PSN sharing circle. The hard part is really coming up with rules and regulations.

Not sure if you've ever lent to "friends" and had negative experiences like myself. I've gotten full used-to-be-working systems back after lending it to a "friend", only to get it back and it won't load games any longer. I've gotten games back that were so disgusting (GBA cart) that I wound up giving it away as I couldn't stand the look of it anymore.

I'd say number is definitely a good indicator of honesty as the higher the number someone has, the more they have to lose. Anyone with a ridiculously high trade number at 100% has no desire to have their name tarnished or their good image ruined. The doesn't mean having a greater feedback score makes the individual more honest in other means or methods, but again, they have more to lose than someone with a score of less than 20.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Not sure if you've ever lent to "friends" and had negative experiences like myself. I've gotten full used-to-be-working systems back after lending it to a "friend", only to get it back and it won't load games any longer. I've gotten games back that were so disgusting (GBA cart) that I wound up giving it away as I couldn't stand the look of it anymore.

I'd say number is definitely a good indicator of honesty as the higher the number someone has, the more they have to lose. Anyone with a ridiculously high trade number at 100% has no desire to have their name tarnished or their good image ruined. The doesn't mean having a greater feedback score makes the individual more honest in other means or methods, but again, they have more to lose than someone with a score of less than 20.[/QUOTE]
So true... about the part you lend something to your friend and the time you get the stuff back, finger prints everywhere, yuck! You know what's ironic? I find that i trust my CAG sharing circle more than my actual friends (ahem, i don't even know what that means anymore :lol:).

The thing being a member of CAG is that, most people collect and know how to take care of things (most importantly, respect the game discs, even the games suck :lol:)

So, yeah, i definitely agree with you with the rating system. I probably gather some info first, it helps that the sharing circle is into trophy/achievement too, since we don't discriminate what games we play :lol:

[quote name='iowaholdem']Serpentor - I'd be interested in some game sharing if it included easy Platinum games.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, let me write down some rules and stuff and perhaps create a community for this. We can hit off with easy ones. Actually, the sharing circle works better if the purpose is simple.

Basically, the circle i'm about to create involves PS3 disc games. Any games you like to throw into the sharing circle is fine. My two immediate games will be Riddrick (super anal hard plat) and Wated: Weapon of Fate (easy plat). The main purpose is to play and to enjoy (regardless you're doing it for trophies or not), most importantly, treat every disc like your own. If you happen like the game, you can work out the buying/trading with the owner. Members can take off the games in sharing list any time he/she wants. The only rule is to be honest. We all know shits can happen, i'm for one, will not get super duper upset if Riddrick got lost in the mail.

If you're interested, we can kick off this sharing thing :)

[quote name='Serpentor']If you're interested, we can kick off this sharing thing :)[/QUOTE]

I remember some random thread a while back where this was brought up and had some interest. Kinda like a goozex for CAG, or something similar. Unfortunately no one pounced on doing something about the idea and just fell off.

Maybe a new thread, or thread title change to bring in interest.

[quote name='Serpentor']It was never a problem, the account was fine... There were communication problems between sharing account members.

I'm tracking this thread because i really want to fix the negative connotation that people have with PSN game sharing. Sharing is good, sharing saves you money, sharing saves our planet too :)

I'm not sure this topic has been discussed on CAG or not (i'm pretty sure it did, most likely in private CAG communities). CAGs should create game sharing circles (not PSN games, but all games in general). You know, certain games you just want to try out or simply beat it for pleasure or trophy/achievement. It's like a GameFly thing within CAG, you pay the postage and etc... Of course, this requires pure HONESTY, otherwise it will be very RISKY (i love to use that word now :lol:).[/QUOTE]

We don't know what the problem was, communication may not be the problem The share leader has yet to find out from Sony why the account was banned.

Well, I just wanted to add that if you actually scratch a Bluray disc, you ought to be stoned to death. You have to be trying to damage the thing.

Just got a response back from Sony saying that the ban should have been followed up with an email saying why the account was banned, but I received no such e-mail.

I'm calling Sony as I type this message.

[quote name='Serpentor']It was never a problem, the account was fine... There were communication problems between sharing account members.

I'm not sure this topic has been discussed on CAG or not (i'm pretty sure it did, most likely in private CAG communities). CAGs should create game sharing circles (not PSN games, but all games in general). You know, certain games you just want to try out or simply beat it for pleasure or trophy/achievement. It's like a GameFly thing within CAG, you pay the postage and etc... Of course, this requires pure HONESTY, otherwise it will be very RISKY (i love to use that word now :lol:).[/QUOTE]

i commend you on what youre trying to do but regadless theres always going to be those who just dont trust gamesharing because it does leave you open to be screwed over. for every 10 or 20 gameshare groups that go on without a hitch it only takes one to go wrong that puts plenty of people off on it.

same thing hapens when trading games here on cag and the same fear would exist with your gamesharing idea. itd probably be less likely to happen ( scamming that is) with people with established reps and trading rankings but there are those cases where high ranked people have scammed people.

i think it could work in very close cag circles but as a general thing its risky.

[quote name='lokizz']i commend you on what youre trying to do but regadless theres always going to be those who just dont trust gamesharing because it does leave you open to be screwed over. for every 10 or 20 gameshare groups that go on without a hitch it only takes one to go wrong that puts plenty of people off on it.

same thing hapens when trading games here on cag and the same fear would exist with your gamesharing idea. itd probably be less likely to happen ( scamming that is) with people with established reps and trading rankings but there are those cases where high ranked people have scammed people.

i think it could work in very close cag circles but as a general thing its risky.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If you gameshare you should be up for taking the risk. Don't blame Sony when your "friends" stab you in the back.

well, again, I wouldn't temp-trade with anyone under 30+ feedback. On gamesharing, you're only getting screwed out of 5-10 bucks. Much more when you take into account that you have to pay for shipping and time taken to ship as well as the price of the game

Well after the third call to PSN support I now think they have no fucking idea why the account is banned. They won't tell me anything and they say they will call me back as soon as they can about the account.

I'll keep everyone posted.

[quote name='coleipoo']Well after the third call to PSN support I now think they have no fucking idea why the account is banned. They won't tell me anything and they say they will call me back as soon as they can about the account.

I'll keep everyone posted.[/QUOTE]

is it possible that someone in your share group could have done something to it? or maybe shared a share without telling the other sharers thereby negating all sharing?

That doesn't make any sense, because the worst that would happen is that someone would get a "This account has reached it's activation limit".

No one gets that message at all, but we are rather locked out of the account all together. Even if all the shares of an account are used, you can still login to it.

For some reason Sony banned the account, and I don't know why. They never sent any notification why and they are not talking to me. If they don't call me by tomorrow something is wrong here.

Well I got an e-mail today from Sony saying they reset the account. No explanation for the account being banned, but they fixed it without question.

So yeah....long story short, Sony banned one of my accounts without telling me for one week, and after constant phone calls and emails they fixed it.

Makes no sense, but now it is fixed. So there you go.

EDIT: Sony recovered the account and now we can log in, but all the downloads are gone. The hell is wrong with these guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back