Sony & Best Buy are at it again: 24" PS3 LCD Display $299

[quote name='Darknuke']They are almost better off calling it a 24" 3D Computer Monitor... Nobody in their right mind would use this as a TV when the average distance from a TV is roughly ~6 ft. The picture would be TINY.

If this was $200-250, I MIGHT consider getting it as a monitor.[/QUOTE]

Except I don't think this display has DVI or VGA? If it did, I might be interested at this price.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']One does NOT need a ginormous TV to enjoy games. Albeit there are some times(like the frickin' subtitles in many games nowadays:roll:) when a bigger set is nice to have. But in order to enjoy a game you don't need a 72" screen.[/QUOTE]

You certainly don't need a larger screen to enjoy games. But I would argue that a larger screen can make gaming significantly more enjoyable. I just upgraded from a 42" to a 60", and the increased levels of immersion and visible detail have benefited me greatly. My appreciation for art design has grown, and though it might sound silly, my stats in first-person shooters have actually improved.

I've had mine since the day they came out and I still love it. It's sitting in the same room as my 55" Samsung LED 8000 series tv and I probably use them equally. Neither is my main gaming tv though. That honor goes to my 34" Trinatron HD CRT tv. :cool:

I do wish it had a VGA input for my DC but that's my only complaint so far. It also made me want a huge 3D tv as someone mentioned earlier. I don't care at all about 3d movies but games look so good. I was somewhat of a 3d hater before I had it but since getting one I want every game to come out in 3d.

[quote name='Glasscocked']How quickly we forget. In the words of the infamous Ken Kutaragi "It's probably too cheap" and "We want consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one.' We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else".

This is Sony's MO dude. Not to mention that 3D is a gimmick and has zero staying power. WTF wants to wear glasses to watch tv or play games in their living room? LAME.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind 3D when the glasses free sets come out. As of right now you have 2 options. Buy expensive glasses or get the one from LG that uses the theater glasses. I do see 3D as a gimmick but a welcomed one to some extent. Movies with a 3D world like Avatar it is great. However movies that have the 3D just to get the extra cash like most that are coming out I see no point. Out of the 5 I have seen in 3D only Avatar and Tron were worth seeing in 3D. The Green Hornet was just another action/comedy put out in 3D for no point. The same is to be said about the last Transformers movie. Parana 3D well that should tell you enough there. It was I hope intended to be what it was.

[quote name='lllGurulll']It might be worth the 299 if it had a tuner. In its current state it should be 199[/QUOTE]

Damn so I couldn't even watch TV on this unless I had it come from a box? This thing really is just a computer monitor marketed for gaming with the PS3.

If I had a small gaming room I would consider it however it would have to be a small room. If I wanted to get a 3D TV I would just hold out for the glasses free ones or get one from LG.

If this thing ever hits $200 I'll break down doors to get it. My wife likes to game with me, but she doesn't like me watching her play apparently, so a smaller set like this right next to the couch hooked up to our 2nd PS3 would be ideal. Its just too expensive as is. Maybe even at $250 I would grab it, but for what it is..... Its still over-priced.

[quote name='rapsodist']You certainly don't need a larger screen to enjoy games. But I would argue that a larger screen can make gaming significantly more enjoyable. I just upgraded from a 42" to a 60", and the increased levels of immersion and visible detail have benefited me greatly. My appreciation for art design has grown, and though it might sound silly, my stats in first-person shooters have actually improved.[/QUOTE]

It's no argument, it's just the truth. Being that I'm old now, I remember thinking it was amazing when I had a 13" TV to hook up my SNES to. At that time, 24-30" was large for a TV and I didn't think we'd see 50"+. Well, now I have a 50" gaming TV and a 42" TV in my bedroom. I've still never heard someone say man my TV is just too big. I do play my PS3 on a 23.5" computer monitor quite a bit, but that's only because I have my racing set up there and I sit about 2-3 ft from the monitor. If 24" was the largest TV, sure I'd use it and set it up in the game room. But it can't replace a 50" so I have no need for a 24". I would have actually got the 65" instead but it was over $1K more at the time so I couldn't justify it. But in my opinion, bigger is always better for gaming. This is even more true for a 3d display to properly see the 3d fields. Heck, my 1 yr old daughter tries to watch our 50" from 1 ft away.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']It's no argument, it's just the truth. Being that I'm old now, I remember thinking it was amazing when I had a 13" TV to hook up my SNES to. At that time, 24-30" was large for a TV and I didn't think we'd see 50"+. Well, now I have a 50" gaming TV and a 42" TV in my bedroom. I've still never heard someone say man my TV is just too big. I do play my PS3 on a 23.5" computer monitor quite a bit, but that's only because I have my racing set up there and I sit about 2-3 ft from the monitor. If 24" was the largest TV, sure I'd use it and set it up in the game room. But it can't replace a 50" so I have no need for a 24". I would have actually got the 65" instead but it was over $1K more at the time so I couldn't justify it. But in my opinion, bigger is always better for gaming. This is even more true for a 3d display to properly see the 3d fields. Heck, my 1 yr old daughter tries to watch our 50" from 1 ft away.[/QUOTE]

Lets not confuse opinions with truth. I have a 23" monitor, 40" lcd, and a projector with a 120" screen. That being said, I do enjoy the smaller monitor over the tv and projector. I like everything being more compact and i actually play much better on the monitor than the other 2 displays.

I prefer not to watch tv on a 23" monitor, but for gaming its a beast.

Anyone who has this TV know how good/bad the input lag is? I'm considering getting this for when friends come over for fighting games, while the other TVs are used for other gaming needs.

I want to know if it's comparable to the units they use @ EVO.

G-damnit! why can't they just go down to $250 already! i really want a gaming tv and this would be perfect, because that's basically all it's good for.

nope not going to bite till it's $250.

I see a lot of whining about the TV size, but from what I remember of sony's marketing for this it was meant to be for desk-gaming and dormrooms/small living spaces.

[quote name='drunkn ghost']That honor goes to my 34" Trinatron HD CRT tv. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I've got larger TVs in the house, but my 34" HD tube will be my gaming TV for years to come!

MjC

I get the feeling the sales numbers are not what Sony wanted and is discontinuing the model. Now I suspect their might be a new bundle or non- bundle monitor. It really needs to be $200, way overprice for a 24" monitor.

[quote name='EvilIA']I get the feeling the sales numbers are not what Sony wanted and is discontinuing the model. Now I suspect their might be a new bundle or non- bundle monitor. It really needs to be $200, way overprice for a 24" monitor.[/QUOTE]

There already were 2 new glasses-free models announced. One is I believe another 24 inch. The other was a 40 inch bundle IIRC.

Pretty awesome price for a game and a 3D LED TV. I'd get one for my dorm if I didn't already have a TV setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people are saying $199 for the monitor would be a good price point, but if you count the prices of the included glasses, game, and hdmi cable (forget about bestbuy selling motorstorm for $5), then the price of the monitor itself is already $199. Decent deal for what you get, but personally I didn't like it, mainly due to 3D crosstalk and size.

It can also double as a computer monitor. I'd like to get one for a secondary TV and get a BC PS3 to play PS2 games.

Do Bestbuy pm Gamestop deals because I want some games for free

[quote name='Enron']I see a lot of whining about the TV size, but from what I remember of sony's marketing for this it was meant to be for desk-gaming and dormrooms/small living spaces.[/QUOTE]

32 is good deck-gaming and dormroom/small living spaces

[quote name='Enron']I see a lot of whining about the TV size, but from what I remember of sony's marketing for this it was meant to be for desk-gaming and dormrooms/small living spaces.[/QUOTE]

Still too small for that imo. Either way its overpriced even at 300.

[quote name='scottman']A lot of people are saying $199 for the monitor would be a good price point, but if you count the prices of the included glasses, game, and hdmi cable (forget about bestbuy selling motorstorm for $5), then the price of the monitor itself is already $199. Decent deal for what you get, but personally I didn't like it, mainly due to 3D crosstalk and size.[/QUOTE]

The size kills it, which has to be why it didnt sell...something im just assuming given how often its been severely on sale. I love 3D but the price or sales never mattered to me since i never considered buying something so small. I have a 26 inch monitor i used at one point for gaming and i didnt like the size...went back to a 58 inch. I guess if you're sitting 12 inches away from it that might work lol.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']The size kills it, which has to be why it didnt sell...[/QUOTE]

Now if this thing fit in my luggage, ala the G155's mobile gaming system ... oooh, yeah, that's the spot.

[quote name='scottman']A lot of people are saying $199 for the monitor would be a good price point, but if you count the prices of the included glasses, game, and hdmi cable (forget about bestbuy selling motorstorm for $5), then the price of the monitor itself is already $199. Decent deal for what you get, but personally I didn't like it, mainly due to 3D crosstalk and size.[/QUOTE]
But how often do people on CAG really pay MSRP for things, even accessories like 3-D glasses? They had a set with 2 3-D Blu-Ray movies at Sears for $20-40 about 3-4 months ago and it included 2-4 sets of glasses with it.

If you think of it in a normal consumers terms, then the $300 price would be an insane deal. But from a CAG point of view it's an ok deal at best and can always get better with another price drop(or two).;)

[quote name='The Punisher']I agree. For $299, there is other LCD-LED to consider.

Anyone know what is the best LCD-LED tv size to get?(24,32,37,42 in size?) It's going to the bedroom about 10-15 feet away from the bed.[/QUOTE]

That far away all those are too small to really benefit from HD.

If BB has an @Gamer coupon for at least $100 off and the new msrp is $299, I'll buy this in a heartbeat...as a new monitor lol

Just saw that MLB 12 the show will have a feature that allows to players to sit in front of this tv and see two different images. Instead of using A & B in the glasses to make 3D they'll be able to hide pitch location etc using this monitor. That's pretty cool of you play that game with anyone else on the same monitor.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']There already were 2 new glasses-free models announced. One is I believe another 24 inch. The other was a 40 inch bundle IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Wow, wonder what rock I have been under. I read the PS blog daily and don't recall reading about a new monitor. It would explain the fire sale.

$250 is the market price for this device. It's difficult to explain why a 24" TV is so expensive.

I picked this up for this price around Christmas. The image quality and 3d look great on PS3 and 360, and it' makes a awesome PC monitor too! If your a student or are living with others like me its defiantly a good choice for small living spaces.

[quote name='EvilIA']Wow, wonder what rock I have been under. I read the PS blog daily and don't recall reading about a new monitor. It would explain the fire sale.

$250 is the market price for this device. It's difficult to explain why a 24" TV is so expensive.[/QUOTE]

You don't recall them because they're just prototypes, not to mention the pricing would be much higher than $300 if they ever do get launched, which is not likely given Sony's troubles and abandonment of TV innovation lately.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57356697/sony-takes-another-stab-at-glasses-free-3d-tv/

$250 may be what you think a "24" tv" should go for, but how many other 24" TVs do you know of that come with a pair of $70 glasses, $60 game and hdmi cable, and allow 2 players to view different screens simultaneously? This is not just a walmart 24" tv. If you don't plan to use this for 3D or simulview, you have no basis to complain about the price. Just pick up a walmart tv and be happy.

I was assuming you could get a 24" walmart tv for less than $250 if you just wanted any old tv, and checking now it looks like you can get a "viore" for $160. I was being presumptious and may have incorrectly assumed he came up with the $250 price based just on a regular tv. But since it seemed like a lot of the complainers in this thread are totally ignoring the 3D/simulview/bundle aspects of this package, the viore is probably better for them, even if not a fair comparison. Not to mention that Sony's usually cost more to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see plenty of these at GameStop, where the price was marked down to $299 as well.

Oh, and for the tuner argument, your local cable company will provide you with one anyways, since most providers have now moved to IP-based video streaming with that crappy little tuner box they give you.

and once again, some of yall are STILL complaining about the size. I game on a 23 inch asus monitor. It's perfect for me especially since its easy to carry around (I go to tournaments and stuff in the fighting community)

and lmao @ the post saying "for 299 it should be the tv and ps3"

I swear some of the stuff I read on here... lol

[quote name='scottman'] But since it seemed like a lot of the complainers in this thread are totally ignoring the 3D/simulview/bundle aspects of this package, the viore is probably better for them, even if not a fair comparison. Not to mention that Sony's usually cost more to begin with.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Complainers. As others have said to me before on here, this is CHEAPassgamer. A small screen tv that ain't a tv for three hundred bones is a bit redonkulous as far as 'deals' go. I've already mentioned that a pack of 3-D glasses (WITH movies no less) can be had cheaper than the ONE pair that comes with this tv that ain't a tv. Plus the game that comes with it was already $5 at Best Buy. So right there two points of argument of 'value' in this bundle are shot down or lessened.

As for Sony brand crap costing more, that's only because they charge more for it. It's likely that the bulk of HDtv's and other electronics that people pay out the wazoo for are all made in the same place(China) with nearly the same damn parts. So for brand whores and technophiles that believe the hype machine the 'name brand' is worth it, but for deal hunters you could likely grab any old tv off the shelf and get the same value or damn close.
[quote name='scottman']If you don't plan to use this for 3D or simulview, you have no basis to complain about the price. Just pick up a walmart tv and be happy.[/QUOTE]
Why not? It's a small tv that ain't a tv unless you add in an external tuner box. So the functionality of it is LIMITED at best. Therefore it's not really worth $300 since it takes additional purchases to make this item functional in other aspects.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']
and lmao @ the post saying "for 299 it should be the tv and ps3"

I swear some of the stuff I read on here... lol[/QUOTE]
Actually BB had that deal a couple of months ago where if you bought this monitor you could've added in a PS3 for $100 more, I think. So that monitor/PS3 bundle idea some have had on this thread isn't too far off the mark.

Not to mention the defects people have mentioned that seem to be pretty universal(dust under the glossy screen, for one) tend to make me think that Sony rushed these out thinking they would get a ton of people wanting to buy them. Now they're sitting there and may eventually have to do a fire sale of them to eliminate the remaining stock.
[quote name='Jack_Frost']Its a monitor, not a tv.[/QUOTE]
Did I not say that(ala tv that ain't a tv)?

yeah for $399 I can see that being somewhat reasonable

and saying "its a tv that aint a tv unless you add a tuner" seems like you are complaining that it's not a FULLY functional tv, when its not a tv at all. Thats like me complaining about my asus monitor saying it should be cheaper since "its a tv that aint a tv unless you add a tuner"

Why do people keep talking about cheap TVs? This is a 3D display. If someone is just looking for a cheap TV, they aren't buying this. This is not a standard TV. This is not a standard TV. This is not a standard TV.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Why do people keep talking about cheap TVs? This is a 3D display. If someone is just looking for a cheap TV, they aren't buying this. This is not a standard TV. This is not a standard TV. This is not a standard TV.[/QUOTE]

And that makes it even less of a deal as a "display" as you so eloquently put it has less consumer value then a TV.

I still can't believe a thread on a "display" at $299.99 when $299.99 seems to be the new MSRP has managed to get close to a 100 posts.

bread's done
Back