Sony Blu-Ray Player Clearanced $278 @ Target

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
There is a clearanced out Sony player at Target for 278, are the sony ones better/worse than 3rd parties?

And is it worth jumping in at this price or should I wait for cheaper prices and (hopefully) better/faster players

Its crap. CRAP. They were trying to sell these for $269 last Christmas as well so this is not a deal. The S350 just came out and I love mine so far.

There will be several players, final 2.0 spec out of the box, on the market by November that will be in the $300-$350 range. I would wait for those.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']why would anyone buy a standalone blu-ray player when a ps3 exists?[/quote]

Don't need one, have Xbox 360 and frankly don't need another excuse to buy games ;-)

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']why would anyone buy a standalone blu-ray player when a ps3 exists?[/quote]

Indeed. At $400, it's kind of tough to find a good reason not to buy the PS3, if you are in the market for a Blu-ray player. You simply get more entertainment options. Plus, it isn't like the PS3 is a bad BD player.

Avoid these, as was mentioned these are 1.0 profile and cannot be upgraded to 2.0 profile. Which means once 2.0 starts picking up steam and all Blue-ray discs are printed as such, this player will not be able to play them.

I got one for $150 with 10 free movies for my bedroom player, and it works ok. Its ok for a secondary blu ray player, but the bastard takes forever to load.

[quote name='Dustin Echoes']Avoid these, as was mentioned these are 1.0 profile and cannot be upgraded to 2.0 profile. Which means once 2.0 starts picking up steam and all Blue-ray discs are printed as such, this player will not be able to play them.[/QUOTE]

Wrong

[quote name='hunterrogue']There is a clearanced out Sony player at Target for 278, are the sony ones better/worse than 3rd parties?

And is it worth jumping in at this price or should I wait for cheaper prices and (hopefully) better/faster players[/QUOTE]

The Sony BDP-S300 is not worth 278. It is incredibly slow and only profile 1.0. Getting a profile 1.1 player ensures better compatibility and access to special fetures. You are better off getting the Magnavox at Walmart for 299 if you cant afford the new S350, as it is faster and works just as well.

Personally I like the Pioneer BDP-51FD the best, though those are a lot more expensive.

PS3 = profile 2.0, decodes all HD audio formats, fast load times, no playback issues with any BD movies I've heard of.

Only downsides to PS3 I know of are its form factor not fitting in with other HT equipment, inability to stream HD audio formats to outboard decoder/receiver over HDMI, lack of multichannel analog audio outputs, and lack of a built-in IR receiver for compatibility with universal remotes.

You can get a Nyko Blu-wave IR remote for under $20, which gives you a USB IR receiver (although with a limited set of functions for the remote), and any HT receiver which can decode the HD audio formats should be able to handle a 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio stream over HDMI. Older HDMI receivers that pass audio through HDMI should be able to handle at least 5.1 LPCM. My Marantz SR-9600 in my living room, and my Onkyo HTR-640 in my bedroom, which are both HDMI 1.1, can each handle 5.1 LPCM. So, with the PS3, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc., are all available. I have a 20GB PS3 (upgraded with a 120GB HD) in the living room, and an 80GB PS3 in my bedroom. They're used 90% for movie playback.

For $400 retail for the 40GB PS3, nothing can touch its feature set as a BD movie player, not even taking into account its ability as a game machine, media extender, etc.

Still by far the best value in a BD movie player.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']PS3 = profile 2.0, decodes all HD audio formats, fast load times, no playback issues with any BD movies I've heard of.

Only downsides to PS3 I know of are its form factor not fitting in with other HT equipment, inability to stream HD audio formats to outboard decoder/receiver over HDMI, lack of multichannel analog audio outputs, and lack of a built-in IR receiver for compatibility with universal remotes.

For $400 retail for the 40GB PS3, nothing can touch its feature set as a BD movie player, not even taking into account its ability as a game machine, media extender, etc.

Still by far the best value in a BD movie player.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The new Pioneer BDP-51FD has features that the PS3 does not have, including 24bit > 36bit color upconversion for Blu-ray Discs to reduce banding, both decoding & bitstreaming of all nextgen audio formats, 7.1 analog output, form factor fits with HT gear, source direct output off all DVDs and Blu-ray Discs for use with an external video processing solution (i.e. Reon/Realta), IR remote, quieter, plus it has fast loadtimes unlike many other standalones (14 second startup). While the Pioneer does cost more than the PS3, if A/V quality is the most important thing to you it is worth the extra couple of hundred bucks, just like the PS3 is worth a couple more than the cheaper BDP-S300.

[quote name='anomynous']Wrong[/QUOTE]

Well, I should clarify a bit. I dont know the specifics of this particular model, but if you cannot upgrade then it is true you will not be able to use the bd live special features on the discs. It also means there is the possibility that future discs might not be able to play properly and have playback issues. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

[quote name='Ruined']I disagree. The new Pioneer BDP-51FD has features that the PS3 does not have, including 24bit > 36bit color upconversion for Blu-ray Discs to reduce banding, both decoding & bitstreaming of all nextgen audio formats, 7.1 analog output, form factor fits with HT gear, source direct output off all DVDs and Blu-ray Discs for use with an external video processing solution (i.e. Reon/Realta), IR remote, quieter, plus it has fast loadtimes unlike many other standalones (14 second startup). While the Pioneer does cost more than the PS3, if A/V quality is the most important thing to you it is worth the extra couple of hundred bucks, just like the PS3 is worth a couple more than the cheaper BDP-S300.[/quote]I'll have to keep that in mind if I go with a standalone player at some point. A couple hundred bucks more than PS3 isn't a huge leap for the upsides.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']PS3 = profile 2.0, decodes all HD audio formats, fast load times, no playback issues with any BD movies I've heard of.

You can get a Nyko Blu-wave IR remote for under $20, which gives you a USB IR receiver (although with a limited set of functions for the remote), and any HT receiver which can decode the HD audio formats should be able to handle a 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio stream over HDMI. Older HDMI receivers that pass audio through HDMI should be able to handle at least 5.1 LPCM. My Marantz SR-9600 in my living room, and my Onkyo HTR-640 in my bedroom, which are both HDMI 1.1, can each handle 5.1 LPCM. So, with the PS3, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc., are all available. I have a 20GB PS3 (upgraded with a 120GB HD) in the living room, and an 80GB PS3 in my bedroom. They're used 90% for movie playback.

Still by far the best value in a BD movie player.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, as I said, the point was "Am I getting a bargain by saving almost $100 and NOT buying a PS3?"...seems like the answer is that while YES it is cheaper, the inability to upgrade and the extra features of the PS3 (gaming of course!) make it a bad CHEAPASS deal...again, thanks!

But the way Target's clearances go, the price will continue to go down. It's at 30 percent off now. Clearance items get marked down every Monday(usually). It could hit 50 percent off next Monday($195), then 75 percent off the following week($97.50). Me? I'm thinking I'm going to wait a couple of weeks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. At $400, it's kind of tough to find a good reason not to buy the PS3, if you are in the market for a Blu-ray player. You simply get more entertainment options. Plus, it isn't like the PS3 is a bad BD player.[/quote]

speaking as a True Savior!! Amen

[quote name='Dustin Echoes']Well, I should clarify a bit. I dont know the specifics of this particular model, but if you cannot upgrade then it is true you will not be able to use the bd live special features on the discs. It also means there is the possibility that future discs might not be able to play properly and have playback issues. Not worth the risk in my opinion.[/quote]

You will not be able to use profile 1.1 features, thats it. The discs will still work.

You think the BDA would be stupid enough to make it so their players no longer work period?

Yah, people that bought 1.0 players are going to be made if they care about special features that require a wifi connection. PS3 firmware updates will keep it up to date with all new blu-ray standards. First generation stand-alone players are going to be clearanced out big-time by Christmas. If you're going to get a stand-along player, look for one that is 2.0, has a wifi connection, and can accept firmware updates. Or just get a PS3.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I'm waiting for a sub $300 2.0 BR player that is comparable to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Cya in 2011!

[quote name='darkasian']But the way Target's clearances go, the price will continue to go down. It's at 30 percent off now. Clearance items get marked down every Monday(usually). It could hit 50 percent off next Monday($195), then 75 percent off the following week($97.50). Me? I'm thinking I'm going to wait a couple of weeks.[/quote]

Now $180...

[quote name='nyprimus4']fixed.[/QUOTE]

Really? You think there will be a Profile 2.0 player that internally decodes DTS MA by Winter of 2008? :lol: Sorry, not going to happen. Profile 2.0...maybe.

That's why Sony and Panasonic have two players out, one that can decode DTS MA internally ($499, Sony S550 due out this fall) and one that can not (Sony S350, $399)

bread's done
Back