sony cd virus made worse by removal

Mr.Answer

CAGiversary!
CD copy protection: Sony's cure may worsen security danger
Associated Press
November 15, 2005

BOSTON — The fallout from a hidden copy-protection program that Sony BMG Music Entertainment put on some CDs is only getting worse. Sony's suggested method for removing the program actually widens the security hole the original software created, researchers say.

Sony apparently has moved to recall the discs in question, but music fans who have listened to them on their computers or tried to remove the dangerous software they deposited could still be vulnerable.

"This is a surprisingly bad design from a security standpoint,'' said Ed Felten, a Princeton University computer science professor who explored the removal program with a graduate student, J. Alex Halderman. "It endangers users in several ways.''

The "XCP'' copy-protection program was included on at least 20 CDs, including releases by Van Zant, The Bad Plus, Neil Diamond and Celine Dion.

When the discs were put into a PC — a necessary step for transferring music to iPods and other portable music players — the CD automatically installed a program that restricted how many times the discs' tracks could be copied, and made it extremely inconvenient to transfer songs into the format used by iPods.

That antipiracy software — which works only on Windows PCs — came with a cloaking feature that allowed it to hide files on users' computers. Security researchers classified the program as "spyware,'' saying it secretly transmits details about what music the PC is playing. Manual attempts to remove the software can disable the PC's CD drive.

The program also gave virus writers an easy tool for hiding their malicious software. Last week, virus-like "Trojan horse'' programs emerged that took advantage of the cloaking feature to enter computers undetected, antivirus companies said. Trojans are typically used to steal personal information, launch attacks on other computers and send spam.

Stung by the controversy, Sony BMG and the company that developed the antipiracy software, First 4 Internet Ltd. of Oxfordshire, United Kingdom, released a program that uninstalls XCP.

But the uninstaller has created a new set of problems.

To get the uninstall program, users have to request it by filling out online forms. Once submitted, the forms themselves download and install a program designed to ready the PC for the fix. Essentially, it makes the PC open to downloading and installing code from the Internet.

According to the Princeton analysis, the program fails to make the computer confirm that such code should come only from Sony or First 4 Internet.

"The consequences of the flaw are severe,'' Felten and Halderman wrote in a blog posting Tuesday. "It allows any Web page you visit to download, install, and run any code it likes on your computer. Any Web page can seize control of your computer; then it can do anything it likes. That's about as serious as a security flaw can get.''

Sony BMG spokesman John McKay did not return calls seeking comment. First 4 Internet was not making any comment, according to Lynette Riley, the office manager who answered the company's phone Tuesday evening in England.

Mark Russinovich, the security researcher who first discovered the hidden Sony software, is advising users who played one of the CDs on their computer to wait for the companies to release a stand-alone uninstall program that doesn't require filling out the online form.

"There's absolutely no excuse for Sony not to make one immediately available,'' he wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

Other programs that knock out the original software are also likely to emerge. Microsoft Corp. says the next version of its tool for removing malicious software, which is automatically sent to PCs via Windows Update each month, will yank the cloaking feature in XCP.

Sony BMG said Friday it would halt production of CDs with XCP technology and pledged to "re-examine all aspects of our content protection initiative.'' On Monday night, USA Today's Web site reported that Sony BMG would recall the CDs in question.

Wow, installing spyware will in no way insult the people who actually pay for their music, thus not driving them to illegaly downloading them.

I wonder what it will actually take to convince large record companies that they're better off *enticing* consumers to buy cds, and not *threaten* them or scare them to do so.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Here's a list and how to identify if any other disc has it:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php[/QUOTE]

That's only a partial list as I know the latest from the Foo Fighters is rootkitted. It would be safer to assume that a majority (if not all) of the artists contracted by Sony have their albums (willingly or unwillingly) rootkitted.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I smell lawsuits in the air.

I'm glad I don't listen to "popular" music anymore.[/QUOTE]

It's not just in the air. You should be able to taste it as well:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/09/wanna_sue_the_pants_.html

Does the software get automatically installed or do you have to agree like in most programs? The reason I ask is because I inserted the Foo Fighters CD and declined all options that came up - then I ripped it to iTunes with no problem at all. I hope my computer isn't infected. If so I might look into a lawsuit - or at least join in the inevitable class action one. Maybe I'll get a free computer or something!

[quote name='javeryh']Does the software get automatically installed or do you have to agree like in most programs? The reason I ask is because I inserted the Foo Fighters CD and declined all options that came up - then I ripped it to iTunes with no problem at all. I hope my computer isn't infected. If so I might look into a lawsuit - or at least join in the inevitable class action one. Maybe I'll get a free computer or something![/QUOTE]

It's automatically installed and you're SOL with the current patch that disables it since it creates a bigger security hole than there was in the first place. I hope you have Autorun disabled. That's the first thing I do once a computer I built is up and running. If you're on a mac, you're partially protected as it'll ask your permission to install it.

[quote name='javeryh']Does the software get automatically installed or do you have to agree like in most programs? The reason I ask is because I inserted the Foo Fighters CD and declined all options that came up - then I ripped it to iTunes with no problem at all. I hope my computer isn't infected. If so I might look into a lawsuit - or at least join in the inevitable class action one. Maybe I'll get a free computer or something![/QUOTE]

Get 'em javeryh! Go Johnnie Cochran on their ass! :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Get 'em javeryh! Go Johnnie Cochran on their ass! :lol:[/QUOTE]

If Sony has rootkit, you cannot acquit!:lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']If Sony has rootkit, you cannot acquit!:lol:[/QUOTE]

I was trying to incoporate that into my post and couldn't get it right. Thanks jaykrue!:applause:

[quote name='Mr.Answer']"The consequences of the flaw are severe,'' Felten and Halderman wrote in a blog posting Tuesday. "It allows any Web page you visit to download, install, and run any code it likes on your computer. Any Web page can seize control of your computer; then it can do anything it likes.''[/QUOTE]

So Sony went from a simple spyware program ----> to a program that opens your computer to hijacking/theft.

Absolutely brilliant Sony.
Way to fix the problem (not).

I'm going to boycott all Sony CDs from this point forward. The music divisision will not get another dollar from me. They are too incompetant & deserve to go bankrupt.

troy

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I smell lawsuits in the air. [/QUOTE]

Oh, those began 2 weeks ago. Filed by entire states.

[quote name='Vegan']Oh, those began 2 weeks ago. Filed by entire states.[/QUOTE]

States? Last I heard it was must a single lawyer, not a state.

Glad I don't put my CDs into my PC. Although I may have infected my work computer! (gulp) Great. Now they will ban letting workers bring their CDs to work, for fear of Sony viruses.

So here's the real question. Is it worth it to go out and buy one of these protected CDs and get this crap installed on your system just to be involved in a potentially lucrative class action suit?

[quote name='Z-Saber']So here's the real question. Is it worth it to go out and buy one of these protected CDs and get this crap installed on your system just to be involved in a potentially lucrative class action suit?[/QUOTE]

Unless your definition of lucrative is $7.85 then I wouldn't do it - it's not worth the messed up computer (potentially) and the time it would take to join the suit.

[quote name='javeryh']Unless your definition of lucrative is $7.85 then I wouldn't do it - it's not worth the messed up computer (potentially) and the time it would take to join the suit.[/QUOTE]Eh, I was hoping more for a Vaio, a Sony made replacement PC as compensation for the computer they "ruined" with their protection schemes.
:lol:

[quote name='Z-Saber']Eh, I was hoping more for a Vaio, a Sony made replacement PC as compensation for the computer they "ruined" with their protection schemes.
:lol:[/QUOTE]

Now that would be nice but chances are tons and tons of people are going to try and get in on this and the court isn't going to bankrupt the company over the alleged damages here. If anything they will just get some nerds to figure out a way to safely undo whatever was done to your computer and that will be it. Of course, a Vaio would be sweet! :D

This thread inspired me to go look at my CD collection... and ya know, I don't think I own a single Sony Music CD, period! Yay for my taste in imports! :bouncy:

[quote name='Z-Saber']So here's the real question. Is it worth it to go out and buy one of these protected CDs and get this crap installed on your system just to be involved in a potentially lucrative class action suit?[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been the winning participant of a class action suit? The compensation is NEVER lucrative.

I am especially bothered by this line: "Sony infects more than 500k networks, including military and govt - Dan Kaminsky publishes research showing that Sony's DRM has infected over 500,000 computer networks including networks belonging to the military and the government. " In other words, people in the Pentagon playing their audio CDs in their work PCs. Wonderful.

AND: "Sony CDs banned in the workplace - Companies, educational institutions, and government agencies are banning the use of Sony CDs on workplace computers, due to the security risks that arise from the rootkit DRM. Some orgs go so far as banning audio CDs altogether, since there are plenty of malicious bits of anti-security technology in music from many labels. "

I work for a military contractor with ultra-secure networks, so it won't be long 'til they force us to take our CDs home. That sucks.

troy

The news of this is definitely spreading to the common man. I've overheard two different conversations at work from non-hi-tech people talking about this "virus" that Sony is installing on all our computers!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a PR nightmare.

Is this bad enough to kill the PS3?

I doubt it. The masses have short attention spans, and while we hard-core gamers will remember this debacle, the average joe will forget by November 2006.

[quote name='Kayden']I think anyone buying the cds they list deserves it.[/QUOTE]
What list of cds? I saw a list then jaykrue mentioned that it was ony partial and there's been no post of the full list. I don't believe I have any of these cd's since I have yet to encounter any cd that forced me to use a specific media player.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What list of cds? I saw a list then jaykrue mentioned that it was ony partial and there's been no post of the full list. I don't believe I have any of these cd's since I have yet to encounter any cd that forced me to use a specific media player.[/QUOTE]

Yaeh, agreed does anyone know of a more comprehensive list than the "partial list" that has been posted. I don't have any of those CDs, but I have in recent weeks DL'd a Neil Diamond track off of a mp3 blog I visit. For any of those computer experts or computer knowledgeable people, can you obtain this rootkit/Sony crap through just DLing a ripped/a track from one of the cds?

Oh and fuck the RIAA and fuck Sony even more.

[quote name='eldad9']Here's the list:

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html

Note: There are 52 titles on the list. Originally Sony claimed there were only around 20 titles.

Also: this is just one type of malware; who's to say if there are others in other CDs?[/QUOTE]

Just saw this link posted, but I can't access it for some reason on this computer. Anyone think they could just copy the list and post it?

Also, for those that are fearful of this type of crap and other stuff getting onto your computer, I would suggest DLing an IP blocker such as PeerGuardian2 or ProtoWall.

here's the list in image form:

my.php

[quote name='Fire']Yaeh, agreed does anyone know of a more comprehensive list than the "partial list" that has been posted. I don't have any of those CDs, but I have in recent weeks DL'd a Neil Diamond track off of a mp3 blog I visit. For any of those computer experts or computer knowledgeable people, can you obtain this rootkit/Sony crap through just DLing a ripped/a track from one of the cds?

Oh and fuck the RIAA and fuck Sony even more.[/QUOTE]

Now, umm....does anybody know anything about this question?

[quote name='Fire']For any of those computer experts or computer knowledgeable people, can you obtain this rootkit/Sony crap through just DLing a ripped/a track from one of the cds?

Oh and fuck the RIAA and fuck Sony even more.[/QUOTE]

The short answer is no. It's a rootkit meant to spy on the computer the disc is in. Ripping an mp3 won't do that as it doesn't have anything to do w/ that... though it probably won't be long till we see one. Thought the ppl of dubious nature that I know who rip music do so on a standalone anyway and transfer them to their laptops before being set free in the wild. I mentioned this in another thread:

It's actually sad that you're safer DLing music than buying the actual cd. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']It's actually sad that you're safer DLing music than buying the actual cd. :lol:[/QUOTE]Especially after this crap, downloading has almost no negatives... aside from, you know, the legality stuff.

Here's a thought... download only music from artists who don't mind their music downloaded.

No negatives.

And you get to discover music clearchannel never wanted you to know about.

Yaeh, I knew a lot of this stuff and have been really keeping up on it. I don't own any of those cds gladly. And everyone that says DLing music is now safer than buying it is right.

Oh and thanks all for answering that one guy's question on DLing a Neil Diamond track. I think I may have done it from the same site as him :blush: I've been checking all over my computer though, front and back (looking through all of the registry as much as I can, etc), and haven't found anything.

I put the switchfoor CD on my omputer so im a little concerned about this. Does anyone know how I can tell if i have this XPC spyware thing on my computer??

[quote name='discopenguin816']I put the switchfoor CD on my omputer so im a little concerned about this. Does anyone know how I can tell if i have this XPC spyware thing on my computer??[/QUOTE]

Download a rootkit finder/revealer similiar to sysinternals rootkitrevealer (the main one I use) or the one that is in beta (very secure though for a beta) from f-secure.

bread's done
Back