Sony gives away 100 free HDTVs just 'cause

graf1k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
99 (100%)
WOW. For the first time in my life, I thought about wishing I was British...

Sony rewards patient gamers

By Darren Waters
Technology editor, BBC News website

999999.gif

_42718015_sony203300.jpg
UK gamers hold aloft their PS3s

Sony's PlayStation 3 console has gone on sale around Europe at a series of midnight shop openings. In the UK, the patient gamers who had waited up to 36 hours at one particular store in London got much more than they bargained for.
As Thursday crossed into Friday, 17-year-old Ritatsu Thomas and the 100 other PlayStation fans crammed into the Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street were jubilant.
And not just because they were the first gamers in the UK to get their hands on Sony's long-awaited games console.
Nor was it due to the fact they had been fuelled on free coffee and Coke for the last 24 hours.

They had just been told they had been rewarded for their patience and loyalty with a free £2,500 high-definition TV on which to play their shiny new console.

At first the crowd did not respond to the giveaway. Their senses dulled by the long wait, and the fact most of them had been made to stand in a darkened corner of the shop for about two hours, meant it took a few seconds before they realised they were each walking away with a free television.
"It's unbelievable. It's like a dream come true," said 28-year-old Tim Taylor, from east London.
_42718017_toggies203.jpg
The first in the queue had plenty of attention

"How much is this costing Sony?" he asked.
The answer was about £250,000 and that did not include the free taxi ride home each and every person was receiving.
It was a great publicity stunt by Sony and exceedingly generous for a firm reported to be losing up to $300 on every PlayStation 3 sold.
Sony said it wanted to thank its customers and in many ways European PlayStation fans deserved that thanks.
All too often they have been left at the end of the queue when waiting for Sony products. But the PlayStation had finally arrived and, on cue, the fans were excited.
"I am going to have to shuffle my furniture. I might have to get rid of my sofa to fit the television in," said Mr Taylor.
An hour before the launch Ritatsu Thomas, standing at the head of the queue, had said he was looking forward to going home and sleeping.
But soon after learning he was going home with a PS3 and a television he had lost his tiredness.
"I can't wait to go home and start playing," he said.
He had only queued after missing out on a Nintendo Wii last year on launch day and looked shell-shocked at the level of attention.
Gamers hugged themselves and each other as the news filtered through to their sleep-deprived brains that they were getting a television. Soon many were on the phones to friends and family.

Miles Frost, from Chelsea, in west London, rang his brother, who had decided at the last minute not to queue.

"We are all getting a free HD TV," he said down the phone. "On mum's life, I swear it's true."
"I'm ecstatic. Sony we love you."
Before the announcement the launch had been in danger of being a little flat.
The queue of gamers seemed small compared to previous launches of consoles and there appeared to be more press, guests and staff than consumers.
Ray Maguire, head of PlayStation in the UK, said he was "delighted" with the response.

"We have got plenty of stock in shops, so people know they don't have to rush out to secure a console," he said.
_42718021_ps203.jpg
Sony hopes to see PS3s flying off the shelves

Sony is also hoping that the plentiful supply of consoles on launch day and beyond will help stop people selling on their machines online at inflated prices.

Oxford Street has seen its fair share of console launches in the last five years and typically they follow a pre-ordained pattern - fans queue up in the cold, laser lights and spotlights criss-cross the sky, a highly-paid celebrity starts the sales and a few hundred gamers troop onto the shop floor.
But this time there was no celebrity-injected glamour or son et lumiere.
Sony said it wanted it this way. "It's all about the consumers," a spokesman told me.
After delays, stock shortages and reports of stabbings and shootings at the US launch of the PS3, everyone seemed delighted that the console was finally on sale.
Sony still needs to convince the mass market that the PS3 is the console of choice.
And it cannot give away a free HDTV as an incentive to everyone who buys the console.
But for the London gamers, at least, PlayStation 3 was the only console they would be playing for quite some time.
- LINK

WoW! Thats pretty sweet! Nintendo only gave me a few free plushies when I waited 8 hours for my Wii on launch.

Lucky brits... lol

Damn Brits! We here in the states get shot at, stabbed, and mugged for our PS3s. Just so we can retire early and live off our profits from selling our PS3 on eBay.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Damn Brits! We here in the states get shot at, stabbed, and mugged for our PS3s. Just so we can retire early and live off our profits from selling our PS3 on eBay.[/quote]

Imagine how many people would have gotten shot here if free $4000 tvs were being given out!

Gotta do something when Brits get screwed over on BC and the launch date.

Geez, thinking about how much money they are losing by giving away those TV'S wouldn't it just be better for everyone if they just knocked a couple 100 pounds off of the crazy 800 pound+ price of the PS3

wow thats pretty awesome... some people are weird though, the 28 year old guy "It's unbelievable, a DREAM come true" ...lol, but ya that'd get me to buy a PS3 :p

As someone said on Digg:

>Sony gave away 100 HDTVs...

"Can you imagine being #101?"

And to think that I - delirious from 18 hours of camping out - was pretty happy with an ice cold Coke in about 40 degree weather.

Yeah. Pick up the slack, Target.

[quote name='furyk']Heck of a PR stunt. Well done Sony.[/quote]Well done, indeed, considering they fucked this all up and yet the PR is being spun to make them look good:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=17482

Short summary: Sony was worried at the lack of interest, so they decided to give out HDTVs to satiate the agitated press members there, who outnumbered the customers. No customers knew about the TV giveaway until they suddenly decided to do it in an attempt to save their ass.

Okay, I can understand the good publicity... but, for a product languishing on shelves, how does this drive future sales?

Looks to me that Sony’s a little desperate for any good press so with a room full where the media outnumbered the customers, Sony’s PR machine did the right thing. But that’s £250,000 (about $490,000) Sony gave a way for £42,500 (about $83,400) profit. I don’t understand Sony’s math.

[quote name='Dinodoedoe']I don’t understand Sony’s math.[/QUOTE]

No one does. They consider 'shipped' units as 'sold units, and do many other funky things.

[quote name='gizmogc']No one does. They consider 'shipped' units as 'sold units, and do many other funky things.[/quote]

Who doesn't count shipped as sold?

[quote name='dallow']Who doesn't count shipped as sold?[/QUOTE]

Because if you ship 1 million units but only 100K get sold to customers, your userbase is 10% of your total volume.

Yes you sell them to retailers, but that doesn't do shit for your software sales.

Oops, I really should have rephrased that, as I fully understand the difference between shipped and sold.

I meant, who doesn't just report shipped units?`

[quote name='dallow']Oops, I really should have rephrased that, as I fully understand the difference between shipped and sold.

I meant, who doesn't just report shipped units?`[/QUOTE]

Nintendo and Microsoft only report SOLD Hardware while Sony is notorious for making press releases on SHIPPED units....which mean nothing. Sony can ship 5 Million PS3s this month...but only 200k may sell. Its been a common thing since PSP launched with them quoting shipped numbers and not sold-to-actual-customer ones.

[quote name='B:L']Well done, indeed, considering they fucked this all up and yet the PR is being spun to make them look good:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=17482

Short summary: Sony was worried at the lack of interest, so they decided to give out HDTVs to satiate the agitated press members there, who outnumbered the customers. No customers knew about the TV giveaway until they suddenly decided to do it in an attempt to save their ass.[/QUOTE]

First off the low crowd attendence was in France and Australia, NOT the UK.

Second it had nothing do with people showing up but rather instead of allocating money to get celebs to come and giving them free crap, they decided to spend that money on the Consumers and hook them up with Bravia sets.

I love how Fanboys will always try to spin shit (even good shit like Folding@home) to make Sony look bad. Get over yerselves.

On another note that was an awfuly nice launch for the Brits. They were even allowed inside the building to wait, whereas people in the states usually had to wait outside and no free HDTVs ;)

[quote name='gizmogc']Nintendo and Microsoft only report SOLD Hardware while Sony is notorious for making press releases on SHIPPED units....which mean nothing. Sony can ship 5 Million PS3s this month...but only 200k may sell. Its been a common thing since PSP launched with them quoting shipped numbers and not sold-to-actual-customer ones.[/QUOTE]

No actually MS uses shipped numbers too, that 10 million mark you always heard about being a target last Dec. that's shipped not sold. They both often use shipped numbers as sold because those units are actually sold to retailers, so technically they are sold and the company has made (or lost) X amount of dollars on them already, but they haven't been sold into consumer's hands.

[quote name='Zoglog']I love how Fanboys will always try to spin shit (even bad shit like a crappy launch) to make Sony look good. Get over yerselves.[/QUOTE]I agree.

A very nice thing for Sony to do, I don't blame them for doing that considering their BC issue. I would of just knocked the price down on the PS3 personally but hey this was a better thing to do and it makes them look better for a change..... They had to do something to make it up to the Brits and IMO they did.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']No actually MS uses shipped numbers too, that 10 million mark you always heard about being a target last Dec. that's shipped not sold. They both often use shipped numbers as sold because those units are actually sold to retailers, so technically they are sold and the company has made (or lost) X amount of dollars on them already, but they haven't been sold into consumer's hands.[/quote]
Yep, MS still hasn't quite reached 10 million in worldwide sales just yet.

bread's done
Back