"Sony Gives Gran Turismo HD Concept For Cmas"

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
"Sony Gives Gran Turismo HD Concept For Cmas"

"
Sony today announced that Gran Turismo HD Concept is hitting the Playstation store for free on Christmas Eve in North America too. They had previously announced the deal for Japan.
The limited time free download supports 1080p and includes the Eiger Nordwand course. After unlocking ten cars in the time trial mode, players have access to ten more tuned cars as well as a Drift Trial mode.
While it sounds like the game doesn't support online play, it does allow you to upload your times and view the top 10 ranking for each car and mode. You can also play and save replays online.
Here's the list of the cars included in the freebie, in order of appearance:
-- 1995 Suzuki Cappucino
-- 1989 Mazda Eunos Roadster
-- 2004 Honda Integra TYPE R
-- 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR
-- 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
-- 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR
-- 2005 Lotus Elise 111R
-- 1994 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Vspec II
-- 1995 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car
-- 2006 Ferrari 599"

[quote name='HeadRusch']One track...this will be fun for about a week.[/QUOTE]

It will last as long as Excite Truck :)

I am happy that Sony decided to do this instead of selling it

[quote name='ananag112']It will last as long as Excite Truck :)

I am happy that Sony decided to do this instead of selling it[/QUOTE]

Nah, Excite Truck had multiple tracks. It just had one car.

Anywho, awesome treat for gamers with the PS3 to show off the system.

[quote name='Sarrasis']If you don't want to wait until tomorrow, the demo is available in the Asia store right now.[/quote]

how do you access the asian store?

So is this like the PS3 Gran Turismo game with one track, or is this like GT4 in 1080p? If its the latter, thats pretty worthless for everyone who only have 1080i since GT4 on ps2 already does 1080i. If its the former, it may make me want to keep my ps3.

[quote name='pinoy530']So is this like the PS3 Gran Turismo game with one track, or is this like GT4 in 1080p? If its the latter, thats pretty worthless for everyone who only have 1080i since GT4 on ps2 already does 1080i. If its the former, it may make me want to keep my ps3.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing that you can type, but somehow can't read. It says in the goddamned original post, that it's one track and 10 cars, with an option at 10 more - and it's all free.

Is it a new track or a recycled one from a previous GT game? I dunno that answer.

Hooray for free stuff, no matter the lack of depth. Sony could have a great online store if they could flesh it out a bit with content. Now if they'll announce Tekken: DR for PS3 download.

[quote name='AIRCOOL']Sony's still in the DARK. NO ONLINE RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Are you taking the piss in a playful way, or are you being a twat that ought to be reported for trolling?

Hey now, this is actually pretty cool. Kudos to Sony to doing something like this. It's more than I can say for Nintendo. I don't know if I can/can't say the same thing for Microsoft.

[quote name='Strell'] I don't know if I can/can't say the same thing for Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

MS gave us a free download for Oblivion and extended the warranty to a year... so at least we got something.

It's no free game, but still.

The Asia version is pretty much all in Chinese. I don't see an option to change it to English either.

So the US version is available also? It's not letting me connect to the US store... must be getting hit hard.

Are you supposed to be to unlock more cars doing the drift trial? I don't see a target amount of points needed.

YEah its great and all, and it'll be fun for about a week. Seriously, you guys with the paper-thin skin need to wise up. Five cars with five tracks is a hell of alot better than 200 cars with 1 track.

Site is down "for maintaince".

You guys complaining about this are HILARIOUS.

"I'd rather have NOTHING instead of free downloadable HD content, and free gaming just to burn some extra holiday free time instead of just one track!"

Boo-hoo. Free is free.

I think the complaining is rooted in the fact that we're getting this instead of an actual finished game, but I don't really care one way or the other.

[quote name='icruise']I think the complaining is rooted in the fact that we're getting this instead of an actual finished game, but I don't really care one way or the other.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, if we're talkin' shelf life, PSP owners get first dibs when it comes to using the pitchforks they've been brandishing over GT.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Site is down "for maintaince".

You guys complaining about this are HILARIOUS.

"I'd rather have NOTHING instead of free downloadable HD content, and free gaming just to burn some extra holiday free time instead of just one track!"

Boo-hoo. Free is free.[/QUOTE]
There you go it is a free game, and it looks great. The best part being it is free.

[quote name='mykevermin']To be fair, if we're talkin' shelf life, PSP owners get first dibs when it comes to using the pitchforks they've been brandishing over GT.[/quote]Preach it, Brother.

the Playstation Store is up and running now.. presently I'm about 13% into the download... slow.. and steady as she goes...

Well, calling it a "free game" is being pretty charitable. I just downloaded it and there's not much to it. it looks good, but it's just you on one track racing against the clock. Yeah, you can unlock new cars and whatnot, but it's definitely more of a demo than a real game.

Amazingly pretty (though not as impressive visually as Motorstorm, IMO), but really kind of boring.

[quote name='Thomas96']the Playstation Store is up and running now.. presently I'm about 13% into the download... slow.. and steady as she goes...[/QUOTE]

89 percent and climbing... slow and steady as she goes... aye aye

I'm beginning to wonder if the PS3's wireless interface is shit. I have a friend who lives 10 miles away and has the 60GB model, downloads wirelessly, and has a terrible time with download speeds. I have the 20GB version and I got this in around 20 minutes. It took him several hours. And it's been the same story with everything he DLs on the PS3. He doesn't have similar issues on the 360 or Wii.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's amazing that you can type, but somehow can't read. It says in the goddamned original post, that it's one track and 10 cars, with an option at 10 more - and it's all free.

Is it a new track or a recycled one from a previous GT game? I dunno that answer.

Hooray for free stuff, no matter the lack of depth. Sony could have a great online store if they could flesh it out a bit with content. Now if they'll announce Tekken: DR for PS3 download.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck. Did I ever ask how many tracks or how many cars there were, of course I can fucking read. I was just asking if this was 1 track and 10 cars taken from the new GT engine or if it was just a demo showcasing GT 4 in 1080P.

Hmmm, the servers must be getting hammered! It took a few tries just for my id to sign on, and now that I am signed on, I can't access the store. I'll wait a few hours until I try again.

Those that were lucky enough to finish downloading, impressions please...

[quote name='CheapyD']Mine took less than 2 minutes to download ;)[/QUOTE]

You're a jerk for sharing that.

You're an evern bigger jerk because the PS Store is down right now. I had downloaded 66% earlier today when we had to leave to meet friends; but I'm no fool, and didn't leave my PS3 on to finish the download. Don't wanna pay to heat the whole neighborhood, y'know. ;)

It took me about 3 hours to download it wirelessly from the Japan store this morning. That's probably on par with some of the bigger 360 demos I've downloaded.

Anyone know if the Japanese or HK store accepts American credit cards? As long as I've set up the Japanese account I might as well try and get some of the PS1 games that aren't available in the US if I can.

Downloaded and unlocked a few things, this is one of the best demo's i have ever played! I dont know what it was but for the first time in a long while i had fun with the GT series. The graphics were not as good as motorstorm but it played so much better, great demo!

Directed to the jerks who slandered M$ and Nintendo.

This isn't a free game. It's a demo!!! They've had it here in Japan's stores to play, for about 3 months.

It's just something to keep people loyal, and anxious for the real game.

I've played it on a 1080p enabled set, and while it is gorgeous, it is nothing more than it's predecessors. Controls are the same from the previous titles, and the 6axis didn't use its tilting function... although that may have been turned off or something.

Don't go knocking MS and Nintendo though. You think $ony giving you some lame ass demo equates to some gift from god??? M$ lets you demo EVERY game available.... including imports not available in the States. Nintendo just hatched it's online gaming... and they just gave us the Opera browser for free.... which enables gamers to play NUMEROUS Flash games online among other things.

Merry F'ing Christmas

[quote name='drone8888']Are you all retarded???

This isn't a free game. It's a demo!!! They've had it here in Japan's stores to play, for about 3 months.

It's just something to keep people loyal, and anxious for the real game.

I've played it on a 1080p enabled set, and while it is gorgeous, it is nothing more than it's predecessors. Controls are the same from the previous titles, and the 6axis didn't use its tilting function... although that may have been turned off or something.

Don't go knocking MS and Nintendo though. You think $ony giving you some lame ass demo equates to some gift from god??? M$ lets you demo EVERY game available.... including imports not available in the States. Nintendo just hatched it's online gaming... and they just gave us the Opera browser for free.... which enables gamers to play NUMEROUS Flash games online among other things.

Merry F'ing Christmas[/QUOTE]
What's so great about the web browser? PS3 has had one since day 1 and I've only used it once just to try it out. And the Opera browser isn't going to be free forever. Anyone who buys a Wii after June has to pay for it.

My quick and dirty review:

The game is very much like Jessica Alba: nice to look at, but ultimately shallow. Nevertheless, free is good. I've never been too keen on the ultra-realistic driving style of GT, but it delivers gameplay which would put any seasoned GT player right at home.

I don't recall the Sixaxis controller having pressure sensitive buttons like the PS2 Dualshock, but evidently they do - there are dashboard gauges for how hard you are pressing either the gas or the brake button (which are present to X and Square respectively, or alternately up and down on the right stick).

Graphically, it's very nice, though I can't compare it to games I haven't played (namely RR6/RR7 and PGR3).

There is an automatic online ranking system for the best times per vehicle. Big whoop, you say? Fine. The top 5 times for each car, however, are viewable as saved replays. So, when I see "CrackBoy's" time of 1:09 in the Subaru Cappucino, I want to see how in the world they managed that time. The console downloads a small file and begins to play CrackBoy's trip around the track almost instantly. A very cool feature that other games would greatly benefit from (across near every genre). My concern, however, is that the replay stops at the time that CrackBoy had, but he was only 3/4 of the way through the course at that time. Is this a glitch they discovered to get ranked, but not finish legit? Perhaps. At any rate, his skill at the game far surpassed mine, whether or not he legitimately deserves that #1 spot.

All in all, a very nice, and very free, Christmas treat from Sony. You have us salivating now, so don't let there be too long of a gap between this feeling and the eventual release of the next full GT game on PS3. You've done an amazing job souring PSP users on Gran Turismo; please don't repeat yourself this time.

bread's done
Back