SONY is planning their own version of XBOX LIVE!!

well, I'm surprised. I wouldve preferred if they continued to not care. Now we'll be seeing more games that

a) arent really that great unless you play them online, because it was crafted to be a primarily online experience

b) arent really that great because adding an online compenent DOES take away resources from other aspects of the game.

as for the computer gamer vs. the console gamer it was said earlier and best that they are 2 differen't breeds...sure $50 dollars may sound like a lot a year, but I really do feel that it adds MUCH replay value to my games.

to play the devil's advocate, and seeing how it hasn't been brought up...the 50 bucks a year is cheaper (in my case) than upgrading my computer to play the newest games.

also, it'll be interesting to see if sony's online is much better than the current gen's....especially if they aren't doing a pay service or a central server. for full disclosure i own both a ps2, gamecube, xbox, and 360 and like each for their own quirks.
this quote from the article really hit the nail on the head for me and summed up alot of sony's marketing from the past...

"Sony is known for their hyperbolic marketing: the PS2's Emotion Engine, the PSP as iPod-killer; it seems unlikely they could take the crown from Microsoft on their first try, but any attempt is a huge relief."

I believe that when Sony starts their "live", it might have "hiccups". In time they will grow and become better. If it will take over console online...just have to wait and see. They have a basis on how it works and seen how it could be better (knowledge from EQ,SW,FFXI and seen from XLive).

First off I don't think the ps3 will have a very strong on-line community because this is an area where sony is always cutting corners they don't hire enough network professionals, and they don't have the type of games your play online.

I think they ps3 will be a mostly cinematic game machine with hopefully beautiful graphics. MGS, RE, GTA and all the other 3rd person games that sony has thrived on do not translate well to online gameplay. I think we'll see alot of downloadable content from sony, but not great multiplayer interaction.

Second is the Pc system, I used to belive in hardcore pc gaming, and that all those consuls sucked bawls. Now I see that the games I play on Pc are alot different from the consuls. Most of the pc games I play are quite complicated and take alot of memorization, strategy, and understanding of the gameplay elements. I can't just hop into a pc game, I've got to study it. As for consul systems I just grab the controller and start hitting buttons till stuff starts working just trying to do something cool, or get to the next level. I run n gun yippiii kaiyay Shaq'fu, and thats what makes consuls so much fun is the complete lack of disipline needed to play them.

As for the price of live it is fairly cheap, but microsoft or the game publisher tends to screw you sometimes. First off the initial service is 1/2 that of any pc online game, and you get to play any game you own or rent. Some content you have to pay for like when the halo 2 map pack first came out, or new cars for PGR 2, but most of it is free, and improving all the time.

As for the revolution it's one consul I barely know anything about, and I prolly won't get one just because the gamecube, and N64 were so dissapointing in so many ways. I do give Nintendo props for at least being inovative is it's games, and set up, but they seem to be too creative, and just not looking at practical gamers.

My xmas wish is that Halo 3 will coincide with a 360 price drop, and will include halo 1, and 2 with improved graphics, and a online co-op mode,
or world peace.
Either one is fine.

bread's done
Back