Sony Playstation 2 "Analog" controller spotted at Wal-mart

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I found a new controller while looking through the PS2 accessories at my local Wal-mart today. Amid the many regular Dual Shock 2 controllers was a lone PS2 "Analog" controller. The controller is an official Sony brand and is black like the Dual Shock 2. It comes in a blue case (unlike the Dual Shock 2 that comes in Yellow) and it states clearly on the packaging "not rumble compatible". Apparently this is basically a Dual Shock 2 controller without the rumble. I checked the top of the controller and instead of saying "Dual Shock 2" in blue it says nothing. I price checked it at $15 while the standard Dual Shock 2 controllers were priced at $24. I found it very strange that Sony would bother releasing a new controller without rumble this late in the PS2's life. I am wondering if this may have been Sony's back up plan if they did not settle with Immersion on the rumble patent issue. Perhaps this is a new sku that Sony may be packaging with PS2's in the future to lower the price to $99. The $9 price difference is pretty significant and I never knew that the rumble feature was such a large part of the cost of the controller. The Dual Shock 2 costs a full 40% more than the "Analog" controller so I wonder if they will be pushing this controller more in the future because they may make more profit off it. Has anyone seen these in stores? What are your thoughts on why they bothered to release this?

I saw one of those, probably also at Wal-Mart. If I needed another controller I would have bought it. I usually turn off vibration in games so this would be a money saver for me. Of course, if both were the same price I'd go for the one with rumble.
I don't think they would include a gimped controller with the new slimline PS2, however.

I saw a bunch of these on clearance at Wal-Mart for $10. I thought it was really strange since as you pointed out, the regular (yellow box) controller was still the same price. I imagine they're selling these versions of controllers to go along with the PS2 being more of a budget system these days. Since the price of the console keeps getting lower, maybe they're dropping the price of accessories to cater to new buyers?

Keep in mind that there are a large number of games on the PS2 that require a dual shock controller to play.

Radiata Stories is one of the more recent. It pops up a message at the beginning of the game that tells you to put in a dual shock controller before continuing and won't let you pass until you do. The first Baldur's Gate game is another one, IIRC.

bread's done
Back