Sony PS1 system/LCD combo - $29.97 @ Sears B&M - VERY YMMV

waxHead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
I managed to beat the Target PS1 combo deal with this, I couldn't believe it.

after reading about the $80 PS 1 combos on here this past weekend, I headed to a local Sears B&M where I knew a lone PS1 system/LCD combo had been selling for ~$150 about a month earlier. I had an employee price check it on Sunday, he told me it was $29.97, so I immediately grabbed it. unfortunately, it was the last one.

obviously, YMMV greatly on this deal, but it's certainly worth checking out. also, I picked up two official Sony LCDs for the PS 1, still brand new and sealed. I have these for trade if anyone is interested, here's my list:

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14165

good luck!

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='dragonfireflys']
They are supposed to give you the marked price plus 5 bucks off when it rings up wrong (just letting you know).[/quote]

No they don't, unless your state (like Michigan) has that specific scanner law on the books. Most don't.[/quote]

Unless they changed it, Sears policy for years has been that if an item rings up for more than it is supposed to be, you get the correct price and $5 off of the item (if the item is $5, you get the item for free).

Just checked one of my locals and they didn't even have the combo...just the LCD on its own for $69.97.

This was at the Westfield shopping mall in Escondido, CA.

Downtown Chicago Sears had one combo for $79.97...didn't get it, already had one, but would've picked it up had it rang up under 50.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']im having my frien go and try and get one in NYC. told him to make them call white plains[/quote]

good luck, I hope that works out for you.

too bad this has been a bust for everyone, I was hoping to help some ppl out w/ this, looks like it's caused more aggravation than anything else :?

I went to one in Norfolk VA and they had no combo's left but had a sign that stated that the Screen was $69.97.

i went to the brea mall on tuesday and they didn't have any video game deals except panzer dragoon orta for $15. they don't have the ps1/lcd combo, the old starter kit (w/ mechassault) is still $70, and midtown madness (xbox) is $30! i felt bad for the girl. i had her take out a bunch of stuff and scan every single one, but i didn't buy anything. oh well, i might try again next week. if they don't have anything, i'll probably get panzer dragoon. :)

Daytona Beach was unhelpful. They have 3, and I asked about pricing, the man just said they were 49, and refused to check, saying "he had just checked earlier in the day".

[quote name='Gojtron']Daytona Beach was unhelpful. They have 3, and I asked about pricing, the man just said they were 49, and refused to check, saying "he had just checked earlier in the day".[/quote]

Those are still a good deal at that price.

$80 at my Sears. They had three of them though.

If I needed a PSOne I'd pick it up but I already have a PS2 and two PlayStations. $80 is too much for the novelty of playing on a mini LCD.

[quote name='Gojtron']Daytona Beach was unhelpful. They have 3, and I asked about pricing, the man just said they were 49, and refused to check, saying "he had just checked earlier in the day".[/quote]

When you want a price check, don't ask for one. Just say you want to buy the item and if it rings up for more than expected, just say you changed your mind.

It seems that in a lot of stores, employees insist the tagged price is what the price is and don't want to be bothered checking prices. The best is when the price is in fact lower than the tagged price and they get that shocked look on their face.

I just went and checked the smithhaven mall sears,long island new york- to get a price adjustment since they sold it to me for 80- they checked whiteplains ny and they have no record of it being sold for under 79.99-can you rpovide a scan of reciept for proof? they said they would take that

I went to my Sears yesterday & the combo was tagged at $149.99, but scanned at $79.97. For almost 50% off, I went ahead & bought it for that price.

I wish I'd read this thread more thoroughly & printed out that $5 coupon before I went.

Want to view other stuff on the screen?
Camcorder Cord, plug this into the screen, get some of these Couplers (2-pack) and connect anything from your VCR to a gamcube and have it play on your screen. Great way to enjoy your other systems if the main TV is in use.

BTW, these are available in-store too

*Diiz levels up*

Ah, hell...I completely forgot to check my other SEARS. Guess I know what I'm doing today.

[quote name='chapper15']has anyone confirmed this? :?:[/quote]

No. My Sears checked White Plain's store, and it showed up as $80, same as everywhere else. Calling that store failed, as they never pick up the phone. This story is sounding more and more like complete bull, but if the person who posted can provide proof by receipt, those of us in NY at least can have the price adjusted to match.

-Nika

I checked two Sears in Pittsburgh. They had the units but were $79.99 scanned. I told the employee about the price and he said he wouldn't be surprised if Sears screwed it up but fixed it.

I went to my local sears and the system was 79.99 as well. This can still be beneficial my cheap ass friends. I proceeded to walmart where I returned it and received a store credit for $150! Can you say Xbox for 80?

OG

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The best is when the price is in fact lower than the tagged price and they get that shocked look on their face.[/quote]

I never get tired of that look.

let's face it. i checked the sears in montebello, ca and its 80, as i'm sure it is everywhere else. look at it this way: the "7" will look like a "2" to some unwitted sales clerk; hence your one and only cheapass deal. poor clerk, he's probably fired. do i still need to mod the ps1 to play backups?

[quote name='Dysheekie']I just paid 150 for my combo (*tear*)

I hope to God my Sears doesn't have this deal otherwise I may have to end myself. :D[/quote]

if you're lucky enough to find one, pick it up...then take the unopened console along with the $150 reciept back to get your refund :wink: :twisted:

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']I went to my local sears and the system was 79.99 as well. This can still be beneficial my cheap ass friends. I proceeded to walmart where I returned it and received a store credit for $150! Can you say Xbox for 80?

OG[/quote]

I'm not sure I can say that, let me try: "F...R...A...U...D". Nope, I guess I can't. And I have no intention of turning this thread into a walmart scam debate, I just thought it was marginally funny.

Not a PSone combo deal, but the Sears at UTC in San Diego has a few screens marked at $129 that ring up for $69. Not too bad if you need just the screen.

Compusa off Balboa and 163frwy has the LCD screens "clearanced" at $80. Heh. Oh -they also have Kingdom Hearts "Clearanced" at $44 :) Original price $54! hahaha. Their clearance bin is comedy.

Last Friday I was at Sears (Grand Rapids, MI, Woodland Mall) and noticed one of the combos but couldn't find an employee to scan it.

Went back on Sunday and got it scanned: $39.97. The salesguy was practically begging me not to buy it so that he could. Too bad: you snooze, you lose.

i am going there friday since i am guessing they are closed tomorrow.

I don't know if anyone is still interested.. or if anyone'll read this post.. but I was recently at a Sears in Watchung, NJ and they have ONE PSone/LCD combo left at $39.99. The only reason I got one was 'cause I asked the guy working there, on a whim.. he said they were under lockdown or something in the back. So, make sure you ask. They're out there.

bread's done
Back