Sony PS3 3D TV/Display $299 at Best Buy Again

I just discovered HBO on demand has a small selection of 3d movies and wow I am loving this screen ha. I just need more 3d content now, why aren't all my channels in 3d already grr.

[quote name='caltab']No they didn't. They demoed 2 prototype tvs with no price or release date. It wasn't a playstation display and it probably won't ever even be released like the ones they showed last year. Decent sized glasses fee 3d at an affordable prive is still a ways off.[/QUOTE]

Not with tvs now using passive 3D. You can just use the ones you get from the theater.

[quote name='RugerRellP89']Not with tvs now using passive 3D. You can just use the ones you get from the theater.[/QUOTE]

Passive tv only shows 590 per eye, as opposed to 1080p per eye with active shutter. While content still looks decent on them, passive is a very long way away. Even a majority of companies have dumped their passive lines they were going to debut in 2012. LG is holding out as the 1 that is pushing it. Vizio has even stated they do not know if passive will be in the lineup post 2012.

All of the above is strictly talking about tv aspects.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Passive tv only shows 590 per eye, as opposed to 1080p per eye with active shutter. While content still looks decent on them, passive is a very long way away. Even a majority of companies have dumped their passive lines they were going to debut in 2012. LG is holding out as the 1 that is pushing it. Vizio has even stated they do not know if passive will be in the lineup post 2012.

All of the above is strictly talking about tv aspects.[/QUOTE]

You're still seeing 1080p (540p per eye), its just halved. Active is garbage tech and i'd never tell anyone i know to purchase one, they do more harm then good for 3D. Passive is the way to go, way better experience. Ive owned a active 3dtv and passive, passive is the best by far.

[quote name='blitz6speed']You're still seeing 1080p (540p per eye), its just halved. Active is garbage tech and i'd never tell anyone i know to purchase one, they do more harm then good for 3D. Passive is the way to go, way better experience. Ive owned a active 3dtv and passive, passive is the best by far.[/QUOTE]

Best for you possibly, but many reviewers and techs alike agree that passive (as of right now) is not the way to go. Active doesn't do damage unless your eyes are sensitive to the shutter, short term that is. Long term studies have been showing varying data on both active and passive, which is normal for newer tech.

2 540s is NOT the equivalent of 1080. It is a blending of (2) 540 pictures and as such can complement eachother so that it looks better than 540, but when you have drastic 3d effects you will see that it will start to become fuzzy. The reason being the further offset the picture is the greater the 3d effect. The problem then becomes the further offset the picture the less the 2 pictures can complement eachother to get higher resolution.

Basically think of it as a layered photo where if the (2) 540 pictures are later flat and aligned perfectly it is a 1080 picture. This is great for non 3d aspects. But the way you achieve 3d is to offset certain objects in one of the 540 pictures. When these 3d aspects get offset it starts lowering the effective resolution (not sure if that would be a correct term just trying to say that the full 540 picture will not be usable as the offsetting of the 3d parts will start to encroach on other aspects of the picture). This is why the greater the 3d effect the more fuzzy it will become.

While I agree passive is less strenuous on the eyes, I think it is still a while away from rivaling active shutter. Considering the implementation of non glasses 3d, I think passive tech won't be researched as strongly as it should be as the majority of funds will go to making cheaper 3d active displays/glasses.

I am not saying that active cannot be better, just the research won't be there as it is just a 2nd avenue for something that is Already there. As of right now it is not up to par, spec wise, as active shutter tech.

Have a 55" passive that I sit 8 feet from. I have no regrets about getting passive. No concerns over picture quality and the glasses are so much more pleasant to wear.

I picked it up today and i tested it out with crysis 2 and black ops for the 360 and man do they look amazing. I tried batman but i played for a little bit and couldn't see the difference yet. I'm used to playing my games on my desk on a 32 led tv so its a little smaller but not too bad. My graphics card supports 3d gaming so i'm going to see if it works with this monitor.

[quote name='technicalstylez']man is this tempting but i have a tv and 3 monitors already. sigh.[/QUOTE]

lol i have 3 tvs 2 monitors, but im giving 1 monitor away. Its nice and the glasses are nice.

[quote name='phillyphill39']I picked it up today and i tested it out with crysis 2 and black ops for the 360 and man do they look amazing. I tried batman but i played for a little bit and couldn't see the difference yet. I'm used to playing my games on my desk on a 32 led tv so its a little smaller but not too bad. My graphics card supports 3d gaming so i'm going to see if it works with this monitor.[/QUOTE]

Let us know if your card works and how you got it to work.

[quote name='technicalstylez']man is this tempting but i have a tv and 3 monitors already. sigh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already had a 24" and 23" LCD hooked up to my PC. I've got the 23" in the closet to make room for this 3D screen.

It is working great as a PC monitor. I currently don't have much interest in getting PC games working on it in 3D. I already had a second Xbox 360 in my office and moved my PS3 in here as well. Still got my slim 360 hooked up to my plasma in the living room.

[quote name='spiderdog']Let us know if your card works and how you got it to work.[/QUOTE]

didn't work the tv isn't supported. I have an ATI 5700 series card. There might be a work around but my Xbox Is good Enough. I want to see how GT5 looks.

Got home with the display 3 hours ago. Hooked up my 2011 macbook pro via hdmi for a dual display setup, my ps3 via HDMI, and 360 via component. Have not had one problem so far. After calibrating it using a calibration blu-ray, the picture is gorgeous!! and when I make my office pitch-black dark, the 3D is really impressive. I've tried Uncharted 3, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, and Wipeout HD. All 3 look great in 3D. I am really, really happy with this display. For anyone using a mac/pc on it, check out: http://www.3df33d.tv/ , Its a great website where people upload their own 3d videos shot from their 3d camcorders and it works right in your browser!!!! you just set the PS3 display to "side by side" and select "side by side" on the website. Im having a lot of fun with this thing!!!!

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Passive tv only shows 590 per eye, as opposed to 1080p per eye with active shutter. While content still looks decent on them, passive is a very long way away. Even a majority of companies have dumped their passive lines they were going to debut in 2012. LG is holding out as the 1 that is pushing it. Vizio has even stated they do not know if passive will be in the lineup post 2012.

All of the above is strictly talking about tv aspects.[/QUOTE]

I just bought an LG passive 3d tv. I own an active and a passive tv. Both have their pros and cons. Active causes more eye strain, has ghosting, and are pretty dark. However they have better detail for smaller objects in the distance. Passive screens are really bright, have no ghosting, and are just like watching normal tv (i.e no eye strain). Depending on your eyes you may like one or the other. The interlacing isn't as bad as people make it out to be the image still looks hd, except you loose a little detail in the background. Lastly the depth and popout you see largely depends on your eyes so 1 set may look better then the other.

[quote name='ijustw1n']What tv does not have a reflection when dark with lighting from behind?[/QUOTE]

An LCD screen that is matte not glossy! Most LCD tv companies make both types.

[quote name='Indiana']This thing could be really tempting at $199 but if it's glossy I might have to pass.[/QUOTE]

i honestly dont notice the gloss unless the tv is off while playing games or anything its good. i mean its almost like any other tv dont have it in direct sunlight. But mine sits in my living room so it gets sunny.

I'm quite sure it is very glossy. I had a different LCD in the same spot this Sony screen is. When I have the room light on, I can see myself in the screen like it is a mirror. This is when the screen is off. If I have it on and displaying something, I don't notice it.

One other thing I've noticed about these active glasses. Makes having a normal screen on quite annoying. I have this screen as a second monitor for my PC. My main PC monitor was on while I was doing some 3D gaming. I could see the main PC monitor and it just flickers away. Very distracting. So, I've got to turn the main PC monitor off while doing 3D.

after looking at some larger size 3dtv ~47" i think ill be getting one of these just from a money standpoint.

[quote name='jling84']Whether a screen is glossy or matte, it shouldn't be placed in direct sunlight, or get wet and dont feed after midnight[/QUOTE]

fixed

Absolutely loving my display. Set it up in my computer room as a second monitor and my main means of playing my ps3. This set looks beautiful and the size isn't an issue when you're only sitting 2-3 feet away. The games in 3d look great also acquired some 3d movies and it's just like watching them at the theater...only smaller. Already warned the wife that once these drop to $200 we're getting one for the bedroom as a replacement for the 24" tv already in there.

Also I'm sure it's been covered but apparently the new ps3 remotes control these displays so if you do use this as a tv there's an alternative to getting up to turn it on and adjust various settings.

[quote name='IcBluScRn']after looking at some larger size 3dtv ~47" i think ill be getting one of these just from a money standpoint. [/QUOTE]

After last week's CES, I feel even more comfortable about buying this little Sony. I had thought about saving the $300 and putting it towards a larger screen. Last week with the large OLED and 4K screens, I feel like there may be something I want even more than 3D in just a couple years. So, the 24" 3D monitor will hold me over until I can afford a 4K OLED HDTV. :)

How is this monitors Black levels? Do you notice uneven black levels like the ones we see in matte finish screens when viewed in an angle?

[quote name='rbanez']How is this monitors Black levels? Do you notice uneven black levels like the ones we see in matte finish screens when viewed in an angle?[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't matter if the screen is matte or not, my 55" Sony 3D has amazing black levels at any angle and it's not particularly glossy.

[quote name='mr_bungle']It shouldn't matter if the screen is matte or not, my 55" Sony 3D has amazing black levels at any angle and it's not particularly glossy.[/QUOTE]

My Sony 55" 3D (and possibly yours) IS matte though, so it may matter.

I was in the boat about not buying it, unless it hit $199.99 (or maybe even $249.99). This past weekend, I've been going back and forth on getting this, a monitor with HDMI in, or nothing at all.

I keep going back and forth on buying a $150ish monitor with HDMI, and this thing. I have a Sony 3D TV already, but I just want to free the TV up when I play mindless games, like fishing in Rune Factory Oceans (fuck you developers for making a trophy to catch 2000 fish. fuck you!), or slow games (like most RPGs).

I would go with a cheap $100 720p monitor, but I'd also want to be able to use it as a computer monitor, so 1920x1080 with HDMI is the obvious choice.

Any advice? Preferably from people who's hooked it up to a PC?

I've been using it as a secondary monitor. The one annoying thing is once you quit sending it a signal, it shuts off. My PC was set to quit sending a video signal after 10 minutes of inactivity. So, I have to turn this Sony TV back on every time I come back to my computer. I did change the settings from 10 minutes to 1 hour. So, that makes it better. Most computer monitors just go to sleep and wake up when they start getting a signal. This Sony TV does not do that.

[quote name='Hoffer']I've been using it as a secondary monitor. The one annoying thing is once you quit sending it a signal, it shuts off. My PC was set to quit sending a video signal after 10 minutes of inactivity. So, I have to turn this Sony TV back on every time I come back to my computer. I did change the settings from 10 minutes to 1 hour. So, that makes it better. Most computer monitors just go to sleep and wake up when they start getting a signal. This Sony TV does not do that.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that does sound annoying, especially knowing I'll set to 10 minutes.

I guess it's probably important to me that it should with with Linux, but I'm assuming it will. Guess I should check.

How long has this been out ? Sounds like a good deal at $200 so I wonder if it will be at that price on the short term.

[quote name='Caoz']How long has this been out ? Sounds like a good deal at $200 so I wonder if it will be at that price on the short term.[/QUOTE]

It has been out a couple months. It was announced at $500. Not sure if that is actually what it sold for at release though. It has been selling for $400. Best Buy has had it on sale 2 different weeks for $300.

I probably would have broke down and picked up one of these if not for the overwhelming number of people reporting these displays crapping out on them. My luck it would last 2 months before crapping out. I don't feel like paying an additional 30-50 bucks for a extra warranty on an item that is likely to crap out.

BTW, every time I start thinking about getting this I refer back to this video. This doesn't even mention the problem with dust under the screen, dead pixels and premature death of the monitor...lol. http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/sony-playstation-3d-display/4505-3174_7-35004017.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Hmm, that does sound annoying, especially knowing I'll set to 10 minutes.

I guess it's probably important to me that it should with with Linux, but I'm assuming it will. Guess I should check.[/QUOTE]

You can change a setting that puts the monitor in standby mode like a computer monitor and as soon as it gets video from a source it turns on. I just did it with my xbox, before id have to turn the tv on, now when i turn my xbox on the tv turns on. You'll know its in the mode when the light on the tv is orange instead of red. I believe the setting is in the settings menu and is the quick start option.

[quote name='phillyphill39']You can change a setting that puts the monitor in standby mode like a computer monitor and as soon as it gets video from a source it turns on. I just did it with my xbox, before id have to turn the tv on, now when i turn my xbox on the tv turns on. You'll know its in the mode when the light on the tv is orange instead of red. I believe the setting is in the settings menu and is the quick start option.[/QUOTE]

I need to change mine, I like to leave my ps3 on to download or it will power on for ps+ auto download on its own and the screen comes on. I swear it turns on when I walk in front of it too, I could just be imagining that though hmm.

[quote name='bigant262']Has anyone been able to watch 3D videos on Youtube with this as their PC monitor?[/QUOTE]

Wrong type of 3D

[quote name='Caoz']How long has this been out ? Sounds like a good deal at $200 so I wonder if it will be at that price on the short term.[/QUOTE]

$300's a sale price, it'll be $400 again on Sunday, this will probably be out of stock by the time it reaches $200

[quote name='SeanTM22']Wrong type of 3D[/QUOTE]

Can't you set youtube as side by side and change the ps3 monitor to side by side...

My Bestbuy had a lot of these almost 25. Went there today and only 6 . I dont think they will be restocking after this batch. So waiting for 200.00 price might not happen .

bread's done
Back