SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

Traded $50-60 worth of clearance games and my fat model PS3(after swapping controllers with my one buddy and his sister's family for their old dusty ass SixAxis, since I didn't wanna give GS a nice shiny DS3).

Thing is, I was starting to see a line scrolling up the screen sometimes while I was playing on my PS3 lately, so I figured it was probably a messed up AV port getting ready to start giving me problems, so why not trade in my over a year old and already Sony serviced once PS3?

They gave me the $150 promo for the PS3 and about $136 and change for the 12-18 games(most were $5 at most), then I paid $31.03 outta pocket(because I forgot I had fuckin' $34 and change in credit left from my recent flipping exploits)and I was out the door with my new PS3(which is no longer shiny and showing all the dust and other blemishes, unlike the shiny, shiny phat models).

My local Best Buy had 60 or so in stock a couple days ago, but I only saw a few on display. Not a huge pyramid like Fry's does. :lol: (Gotta love Fry's!) Most of the GameStop's I called were getting more in yesterday and today in addition to their pre-orders.

I am very impressed by the PS3 Slim. Everything from its slimmer size to no power brick to no AA controller batteries to bluetooth headset compatibility to the amazing interface...seriously I'm blown away and it makes my Wii and 360 look/feel outdated.

Well I guess the Wii was always outdated but that's for another thread!

Ahh, they are probably available in the Gamestop near where I live, I'll probably pick one up some time after the SAT's. It's sounding good, and it's around when Uncharted 2 comes out xD.

[quote name='doubledown']So, anyone notice that the next-gen audio formats are now automatically detected....that was supposed to be in he SLIM correct? I[/QUOTE]

The Slim supports lossless DTS-HD and TrueHD, yes.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just want one for the sake of having another year warranty. Of course, if I had a real Visa card(or one of the cards that doubles manufacturer's warranties)and used it to buy my PS3, then I wouldn't even be considering this.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost afraid to ask, but did you get the extended warranty by any chance? I was told that you are able to extend it later if you want before it expires (hopefully that's true).

I'm planning on getting an extended warranty. I bought mine from target (wasn't on shelves but still got it!) and the guy at the front told me that I have ninety days from purchase to buy a warranty on it which lasts three years (cost $20).

I'm really loving this Slim. It's noticably quieter than my Fat. Only problem I have is now I want to upgrade my second TV with an A/V receiver so I can get the full audio experience, lol.

long post!

Well, ive been having PS3 troubles for a while, my 40 gig had a bad laser, sony fixed it free. Got it back, same ps3, but now it overheats and fan goes into crazy mode non-stop after 10 minutes. Sony sends me a different refurb, this one overheats 3 minutes within turning on, full blast mode fan. Sony sends me a different refurb, this one is super quiet, and i have it on for a while and finished Uncharted in one shot on Crushing (took 9 hours). Next day, the ps3 overheats while playing any disc based game. Sony sends me yet another box for another refurb swap. I got tired of it, and bought a slim.

I had a 320 gig in the ps3, with all the PSN/PS1 games i own (which is all of them). I plugged in a FAT32 hard drive, and did a system backup. Took 3 hours. It finished and said successful. Great, since i didnt want to re-download 100+ gigs over psn again. I then turn on my slim for the first time, upgraded it from 2.76 to 2.80. After that i transfer the gameshare accounts to the slim, confirm they activate, then turn system off. I then take out the 320 gig from my old PS3 and put it into my slim. I turned it on, and it comes up with a CANNOT FORMAT screen, and says i need the newest ps3 firmware on a flash drive and to re-do the update. Whatever, i download the update, put it on a flash drive into /PS3/UPDATE and then follow the on screen prompts. It re-installed 2.80 and then formats the drive this time. I then check and all the gameshare accounts are missing. I re-install them and they were still activated on the machine, so nothing to worry about. I then go to System Settings, Backup, Restore. It then formats the HDD again, reboots, and says restoring. And it only takes 2 minutes tops. Then it says all info restored for the following accounts, and it lists my main account + gameshare accounts. Dumbfounded, i check and of course, not a single game is there. I re-do the process 4 times, same thing.

I gave up and just re-que'd up everything. Another 100+ gigs of downloading, plus time wasted running them one by one and doing all the updates per game, which can take as long if not longer then downloading the games themselves. Then i have to put all my retail games back in, do the mandatory/optional installs + updates on those. Frackin a.

Other then this debacle, i love the slim. It makes a very small whirl sound and runs flawlessly. After so many defective PS3s, this thing is like a knight in shining armor to me. I truly hope this is the last Ps3 i'll ever have to do this downloading again with.

p.s. - The lights for the front are awesome, especially when the system turns off, the white lights fade out in a really classy way. Also, its super light.

Anyone know the email address for Toys R Us? I went/called up there and the guy acted like a complete jerk.(long story) So I went to Best Buy. Met a cool girl who's doing an intern at law school and almost gave us the Collector's Edition for Batman AA for $9.99. XD We found a stack of boxes under the $9.99 price tag and she was about to give it to us till we found the actual display. I walked around BB with the PS3 slim box in my hand and everyone was given me looks. Some were nasty and others were smiles, I even got a few congratulations. Lol, liked it a lot better than Toys R Us where the guy thought I was an idiot.

Ordered a Slim for $270 (no tax). Much better than paying ~$330 after tax. Hopefully the ownership experience of this PS3 will be better than the MGS4 80GB I had for a few weeks and returned. The Slim is definitely cheaper than the other PS3 though...$270 vs ~$550, a $280 difference.

[quote name='jh6269']I'm almost afraid to ask, but did you get the extended warranty by any chance? I was told that you are able to extend it later if you want before it expires (hopefully that's true).[/QUOTE]

Those store warranties are a waste, since they end up running concurrently with the manufacturer's warranties. The old Best Buy PRP's were good for the money though, since for $20 to $50 or so you could 'upgrade' to a newer model of an item and not have to be stuck with a problematic one forever. Plus, they normally were for 2-3 years and I don't think they ran concurrently.

I almost always waited until the very end of the PRP to use them though, since once you use it, that's it, it's done.

Oh and fatmanforlife99, I already had a fat model PS3 that I sent into Sony to rehab because it was reading discs slowly after just about a year. I think my system was starting to get an av port issue where the screen would flicker at times, I'd get a line scrolling up the screen or the screen would switch from the xmb to the game and back to the xmb every so often.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have upgraded to a slim, though my fat model PS3 sounded like a jet after about 10-20 minutes running.

Sold my 160 today for 320 and immediately bought a slim from gamestop. I like the matte finish and I love having actual buttons on the front. Also it's so much lighter and less menacing to move.

I have yet to unbox mine. It's sitting atop the table I kept the fat model on, still in it's Gamestop bag.

But I can tell that it's lighter just by having carried it to the car and in the house last night. When I bought the fat model, I practically needed 2 hands to lug it to the car.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have yet to unbox mine. It's sitting atop the table I kept the fat model on, still in it's Gamestop bag.

But I can tell that it's lighter just by having carried it to the car and in the house last night. When I bought the fat model, I practically needed 2 hands to lug it to the car.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Wait, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly -- you bought a Slim:!::?:

I'm...speechless...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That I did, but only because my fat model was out of warranty now and giving me AV port problems. :razz: Otherwise, I woulda kept the fat model forever.[/QUOTE]

yeah that is funny werent you the main one complaining about them needing to put in bc or else you wouldnt get one? yet another sign of the coming apocalypse..............all that sony hate must mask a really deep obsessive sony love. dont be afraid to let sony love you back man just open up your heart and let them in!!!!!!!!!

One thing I've already noticed about the slim from just having it on for about 20 minutes now is that the top of the case gets really, really warm now. There's actually a noticable hum coming from the system too once the fan kicks on. But it's definitely better than the jet plane type sound the fan on the fat models used to make, though not by much really.

They actually changed the power cord on it too, it went from the big old PC sized power code to the standard PS1/PS2 sized one.

I'm planning on buying a PS3 sometime next week, but I'm just wondering: has anyone with a PS3 Slim actually preferred their old PS3 fat?

I ask because I honestly prefer the styling of the PS3 fat (I'm one of the few that doesn't like the matte finish I guess and actually prefers the idea of touch-sensitive buttons over physical ones) and it seems that some people are having overheating issues with the Slim. I'm planning on upgrading the hard drive with whichever version I get so the added 40 gigs isn't really a big deal for me.

If I go with the 80GB PS3 Fat will i be essentially shooting myself in the foot?

I didn't realize how cheap PS2 slims sell for these days. Why is BC such a big deal to people? Even if it's a space issue, the PS2 slim is so tiny.

[quote name='seanr1221']I didn't realize how cheap PS2 slims sell for these days. Why is BC such a big deal to people? Even if it's a space issue, the PS2 slim is so tiny.[/QUOTE]

Not everybody wants to go out and spend an additional $100 on a seperate console and have all of them cluttering up their house.

The way it is now, between my PC, PS3 and all of my other electronics I have a spider web of wires/cables snaking all over downstairs where I have them.

It's quite a mess, which is why I do still wish they'd make an all-in-one console like the earlier model PS3's were.

[quote name='tenma']I'm planning on buying a PS3 sometime next week, but I'm just wondering: has anyone with a PS3 Slim actually preferred their old PS3 fat?

I ask because I honestly prefer the styling of the PS3 fat (I'm one of the few that doesn't like the matte finish I guess and actually prefers the idea of touch-sensitive buttons over physical ones) and it seems that some people are having overheating issues with the Slim. I'm planning on upgrading the hard drive with whichever version I get so the added 40 gigs isn't really a big deal for me.

If I go with the 80GB PS3 Fat will i be essentially shooting myself in the foot?[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard anything about "overheating" issues. My slim gets hot on the bottom, but so does my 160. If you like the design of the fat, get the fat and vice versa.

The slim DOES get very warm on the top of the system though. I had it on for about 30-45 minutes to download the 2.80 firmware, which it prompted me to almost immediately download, and when I was going to shut it off almost the entire top of the console was very warm.

I just hope that this is normal and that it won't overheat. If it does though I have the one year warranty, so I'm covered.

After owning lots of phat ps3s and now the slim, i wouldnt go back to a phat. The slim is so much nicer in everyway for me, especially looks wise, its really a gorgeous console that you cannot appreciate in pics.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL Why is it so shocking that I have a slim now?[/QUOTE]

Because you posted your hatred for Sony and the PS3 and the PS3 Slim in particular like you were getting paid a dollar a word to dump on the thing.

Reminds me of high school where you'd find out your buddy, who has been talking shit about this girl he would never ever date in his life, was secretly fuckin' her this whole time.

Well, it's looking like Sony is going to be getting this slim back from me and soon, the controller won't sync to the system or even stay on to try and charge now. It froze on me earlier after doing the 2.80 update too.

Now I regret getting rid of the fat model.

Oh and Myke, I guess I'm not allowed to have a opinion anything less than 'the ps3 is the best'? I didn't really say I disliked everything about it. It's a great game console, but people act like it's the best ever.

EDIT: OK, after doing a very bad shutdown(clicking the power on the strip again since the system wouldn't shut down from the power/reset button) everything seems to be ok now. Hopefully this is the last of the problems though.

I had to DL and install FW 2.80 almost as soon as I set up my PS3, so whatever one was before that, Richlough.

And unfortunately, I just realized that in order to play any of my remaining games I'm gonna have to download n install the firmware updates for those, which ought to take 2-3 hours by itself.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I had to DL and install FW 2.80 almost as soon as I set up my PS3, so whatever one was before that, Richlough.

And unfortunately, I just realized that in order to play any of my remaining games I'm gonna have to download n install the firmware updates for those, which ought to take 2-3 hours by itself. [/QUOTE]

Now why did you bother getting a slim again?

[quote name='js1']Now why did you bother getting a slim again?[/QUOTE]

Because mine was having a video problem(scrolling line on the screen, system jumping into and out of the XMB while I'm in the XMB) and because I no longer had a warranty on it or $150 to be able to get it repaired(which is stll a gouged amount, if you ask me, since a new BR lens is $70 shipped most places).

Otherwise, if Sony put a warranty on it for much longer than the normal one or I had the $$$ to get it repaired should it break, then I would've kept my old PS3.

EDIT: Holy fuckin' shit!!! Out of 120 gigs of space on the HDD that comes with the slim, you get 111 to begin with and my system says 97 gb's. Geez. Can system info take up THAT much room?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because mine was having a video problem(scrolling line on the screen, system jumping into and out of the XMB while I'm in the XMB) and because I no longer had a warranty on it or $150 to be able to get it repaired(which is stll a gouged amount, if you ask me, since a new BR lens is $70 shipped most places).

Otherwise, if Sony put a warranty on it for much longer than the normal one or I had the $$$ to get it repaired should it break, then I would've kept my old PS3.

EDIT: Holy fuckin' shit!!! Out of 120 gigs of space on the HDD that comes with the slim, you get 111 to begin with and my system says 97 gb's. Geez. Can system info take up THAT much room?[/QUOTE]

It reserves a small chunk for HD caching and that is never regained. The bigger the hard drive, the more space is reserved. And the 20 gb 360 only had 13 usable GBs. That's enough to install one game!

I knew the 40 gb took a chunk of HDD space, but that kinda sucks that it takes a larger chunk for the bigger HDD's. Ahhh well, the slim PS3 is a nice redesign though. I'm gonna give it a hellish weekend long test too, just to make sure it can stand up to some marathon gaming sessions.

I'll probably see how people's responses (praises and criticisms) fall with the slim and see which one I end up buying. The complaints about it running hot in some cases just gives me pause.

[quote name='sasuke543']I feel lucky...I just won a slim ps3 on ebay for a total of $295 with no tax! Can't wait to get my hands on a ps3 :)[/QUOTE]

how much will shipping be?

[quote name='mykevermin']Because you posted your hatred for Sony and the PS3 and the PS3 Slim in particular like you were getting paid a dollar a word to dump on the thing.

Reminds me of high school where you'd find out your buddy, who has been talking shit about this girl he would never ever date in his life, was secretly fuckin' her this whole time.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Does the slim still have media server capabilities?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does.

bread's done
Back