Sony PS3 Versus Fighting Pad wired controller $19.99

Heard the pad has questionable build quality. Hori makes one just like it. It's not on sale for $20, and from what I seen, it hasn't dropped below the MSRP of $35 at all.

The one nice thing about this pad is that the packaging is open, which means you can test the stick and buttons before you buy it.
If you do you will learn the terrible truth, which is that the build quality is horrible. The stick isn't awful, but the buttons absolutely are.
Hori makes a similar pad, the Fighting Commander 3 Pro, but the buttons are far far better and the build quality is higher.

Get this instead, I assure you it is worth the extra money.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/playstation3-fighting-commander-3-pro/92923

Also, for what it is worth the PDP fighting pad has been $20 since around December.

I got one in december when it first dropped, and it still works well. For the price its a good deal, but i also might grab the commander pro later, cant get myself used to using it on UMvC3. (Though, it works very well for me in games like KoF and BlazBlue)

Sega needs to quit fucking around and release the Japanese/2nd gen Saturn pad for PS3 and 360. It got a PS2 release in Japan and it is godly for anything 2d. Best non-stick controller I've ever used by a mile.

[quote name='Psybuster']Am I missing something? An analog stick and no D-pad on a "Fighting Pad?"[/QUOTE]

Actually it's a variant of the neo geo cd style pad. There IS a learning curve on this controller though.

[quote name='Psybuster']Am I missing something? An analog stick and no D-pad on a "Fighting Pad?"[/QUOTE]

that is why it's no good. Get the Hori one instead.

[quote name='lupe guillotine']that is why it's no good. Get the Hori one instead.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. This is not a dpad, but it's not an analog stick either. The thing uses little microswitches which track movement. Think of the Sanwa arcade sticks. It uses something very similar to that. But in a clickable thumbpad format.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Have the MVC3 version of this for 360 and love everything about it but the Damn clicking sounds...[/QUOTE]

Those clicking sounds are GOOD. They let you know that you hit the direction that you need to go. They're an audio clue on how far you have to move before your motion is complete. I used to hate that, but I've kinda gotten used to it, and my movements are quite a bit more precise.

Sanwa sticks made that clicking noise too. The clicking noise is the microswitches activating.

[quote name='Paco']Actually it's a variant of the neo geo cd style pad. There IS a learning curve on this controller though.[/QUOTE]

I have a NeoGeoCD and it came with two of the SNK pads. They are the best for fighting games that I have used. Even better than the D pad on the SNES.

The only reason I'd consider this is because it has the analog stick in the same place as the 360 controller. It's also the reason I picked up a PS3 Afterglow controller, but the buttons are so damn tiny I can't stand it. My only concern is that the buttons on this one might be way too big and/or in that awkward layout. Can anyone more comfortable with the analog stick speak for this?

I have this controller. The stick is indeed built with microswitches. But yes, the build quality feels extremely cheap. I'm afraid if I play with it, it'll just suddenly stop working. At this price it's great, but there's going to be a little of a learning curve if you're transitioning from dpad. If you really wanted the "best" microswitch controller, you would have to get the Neo Geo Pad USB for the PS3 which was released only in Japan.

Also, for fighting games, the button layout is a little funky:
[ ] /\ L1
X O R1

With L2 and R2 on the shoulders.

Though I'd say the controller is much more ergonomic than the Neo Geo Pad USB. Also, I prefer the buttons as they're not muddy, as they feel clicky and less like a membrane contact.

The cord on the controller is really long, but guage is fairly thin. My controller still works, but I'm mainly a stick person.

tl;dr $19.99 is a great price for this controller if you're not willing to pay for importing fees for a Neo Geo Pad USB. It's not bad if you want to try out the microswitch method.

[quote name='Bankotsu']Heard the pad has questionable build quality. Hori makes one just like it. It's not on sale for $20, and from what I seen, it hasn't dropped below the MSRP of $35 at all.[/QUOTE]

You talking about the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro? It was actually on sale last month on Amazon. They were doing some year-end sale on Playstation accessories and whatnot, and the FC3 Pro was included. I picked one up for myself for $22.00.

It's a great controller, too. It's not quite as good as the Saturn pads, but I couldn't use my USB Saturn pad for King of Fighters XIII (it wouldn't recognize it) and the standard PS3 controller wasn't doing it for me so I got the Hori instead. Works great.

I might get this just to play Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and Super Street Fighter II Remix.

I'm not expecting the best around for the price just something I can be able to play with. Maybe bring back the good old days when I had these on the Sega Genesis with the Genesis pad/controller. I was considering the Street Fighter pads.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I might get this just to play Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and Super Street Fighter II Remix.

I'm not expecting the best around for the price just something I can be able to play with. Maybe bring back the good old days when I had these on the Sega Genesis with the Genesis pad/controller. I was considering the Street Fighter pads.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother with the Street Fighter controllers if I were you (or any of those ones made by Mad Catz). They're a decent choice if you need a controller for the 360 since it's corded and there really aren't many alternatives if you want a controller styled like that (six buttons on the front). But they're not the best made controllers and the PS3 version uses some kind of wireless dongle or something that supposedly drops connections sometimes. Those SF controllers just aren't worth it on the PS3. If you're gonna spend $30-40 anyways you're better off getting something like the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro. It's better quality, corded (15ft cord to be exact I believe) and cheaper (the SF pads usually run $40 I think, the Hori one doesn't sell for more than $35).

At least that's just my opinion. I had a Mad Catz Street Fighter IV controller for the 360 and within a month the d-pad was already having troubles reading the inputs properly. I got my Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro pad last month and I haven't had any real noticeable problems yet.

If you're at all interested in getting good at fighters, don't buy this thing. Get a MadCatz fight-pad if you insist on playing pad. Analog sticks are just garbage for fighters, they teach bad habits (like using input shortcuts) and will fuck your muscle memory up for if you ever try to switch to a decent stick or d-pad.

[quote name='BMXJouster']I wouldn't bother with the Street Fighter controllers if I were you (or any of those ones made by Mad Catz). They're a decent choice if you need a controller for the 360 since it's corded and there really aren't many alternatives if you want a controller styled like that (six buttons on the front). But they're not the best made controllers and the PS3 version uses some kind of wireless dongle or something that supposedly drops connections sometimes. Those SF controllers just aren't worth it on the PS3. If you're gonna spend $30-40 anyways you're better off getting something like the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro. It's better quality, corded (15ft cord to be exact I believe) and cheaper (the SF pads usually run $40 I think, the Hori one doesn't sell for more than $35).

At least that's just my opinion. I had a Mad Catz Street Fighter IV controller for the 360 and within a month the d-pad was already having troubles reading the inputs properly. I got my Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro pad last month and I haven't had any real noticeable problems yet.[/QUOTE]

mad catz just announced a wired fightpad for the ps3

Those people talking about the stick being analog have no idea what they are talking about. It is NOT analog, but uses microswitches like arcades and competition fight sticks. I personally don't like using joysticks for fighters, as I have always liked pads better. I have also owned just about every fight pad that has ever been made(capcom fighting soldier, hori Commanders, ect), and have been playing Street Fighter for 20 years. This is hands down the best fight pad I have ever used, PERIOD. Now I can't say for sure if the quality is bad, as mine works perfectly, but I have read many reviews where build quality is an issue, but as far as working for fighing games, It is arcade "click" function in the palm of your hand. A long over due idea IMO!

People who were considering a 6-button controller for general 2D gaming should definitely look into the Fighting Commander 3 Pro--you'll want the D-Pad. Since I have a stick, I don't actually use it for fighting games, but I do use it for 2D games, and pre-Dualshock PS1 games
and, more recently, Katawa Shoujo
and find the controller comfortable and accurate.

If you want a controller purely for fighting games, then it's your call. I'd personally rather have a FC3 Pro since the "L1/2 -> R1/2" switch can be pretty useful.

[quote name='AugustAPC']If you're at all interested in getting good at fighters, don't buy this thing. Get a MadCatz fight-pad if you insist on playing pad. Analog sticks are just garbage for fighters, they teach bad habits (like using input shortcuts) and will fuck your muscle memory up for if you ever try to switch to a decent stick or d-pad.[/QUOTE]
Bad habits? Shortcuts aren't necessarily bad. And it's really not that hard between switching between the full dp motion and the df,d,df shortcut motion. In fact, these shortcuts are more like a necessary evil (assuming you've played enough SFIV). Analog sticks don't teach shortcuts, it's up to the person to use shortcuts or not. Besides, some of the best players in the world use the analog stick on the PS3. But then again, this "pad" isn't a pad nor analog stick.

bread's done
Back