Sony said to be receiving 200,000 units this month

Ivanhoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
OMG !!!!!!!

Sony said to be receiving 200,000 units this month

According to Chinese business newspaper The Commercial Times, production has already begun on the PlayStation 3 as Sony gears up for the next-gen console's November launch.

The Commercial Times reports that manufacturer Asustek Computer has been producing machines since the start of the month, and that Sony is set to receive a shipment of 200,000 machines by the end of July. More manufacturers are set to deliver shipments in August.

It seems highly likely that Sony would want to begin PS3 production as early as possible, in order to deal with any problems which may occur quickly. However, the company has yet to confirm or deny the Commercial Times' claims.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18420

Sure its not denied or confirmed by "sony" . But its news !!

Discuss!!!!!

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']How much you want to bet that those will be the first 200,00 units to crash too...[/QUOTE]

agreed.

but i am really looking forward to the ps3, i think ill get it around 2008

my first ps1 lasted me 5 years. Sure i had to play games with the console Upside down to get it to work .but it worked fine :)

My first ps2 was always without troubles for years. And thats what replacement plans are for anyway.

I got both the systems day 1 of launch.

Heres hoping for more day 1 good luck for me.

200,000 PS3's sitting in boxes in a wharehouse until November, not getting tested, not getting bugs ironed out... you'd have to pay me to take one of those units. I have never been more sure of not wanting to buy a product at launch that I am about the PS3.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']My first ps2 was always without troubles for years. And thats what replacement plans are for anyway.

Heres hoping for more day 1 good luck for me.[/quote]

Same here. I've never had any problems with any Sony console I've owned. I bought my PS2 at launch and it still works perfectly (knock on wood). Then again, all of my Sony consoles were manufactured in Japan. I think having ASUSTEK manufacture PS3 consoles could be a good thing, as ASUS motherboards are generally solid products.

look, no one has started production of PS3 in final form yet. Trust me. There is still one last pre-production beta before final production, should be a fast one, but still not final yet. The article is probably talking about the other forms of production, not the final guts of the console.

Interesting, if it's true. Didn't Asustek make the first run of Macbooks, IIRC? It'd be ironic as Sony seems to be trying to copy Apple's business and go after the "expensive tech gadget/computer" market.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']

And thats what replacement plans are for anyway.

Heres hoping for more day 1 good luck for me.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like retailers admitting upfront that the item they're selling you is probably going to break no matter how careful you are with it, and then charging you extra to ensure you don't get screwed over completely.

"Here, buy this electronic game system. It costs $600, and it's probably going to break soon. Knowing how much this will inconvenience you, we decided to charge you even more money so that when the unreliable product we sold you breaks we can be sure it's our customers who paid the cost for us doing the responsible thing and replacing the product we knew was going to break. Oh, by the way, we are also making a profit off the unreliability of your system as well, as only a percentage of the replacement fee you are paying actually goes to replacing the system and the rest of it goes to our bottom line."

[quote name='Ivanhoe']my first ps1 lasted me 5 years. Sure i had to play games with the console Upside down to get it to work .but it worked fine :)

My first ps2 was always without troubles for years. And thats what replacement plans are for anyway.

Heres hoping for more day 1 good luck for me.[/QUOTE]
Having to turn your console upside down just to play games doesn't sound like good luck to me.

[quote name='gunm']Interesting, if it's true. Didn't Asustek make the first run of Macbooks, IIRC? It'd be ironic as Sony seems to be trying to copy Apple's business and go after the "expensive tech gadget/computer" market.[/QUOTE]

Asutek produces a lot of hardware, so quit being so naive.

Christ, Asutek makes shit for Dell too.

OMG, SONY IS COPYING DELL. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Puffa469']200,000 PS3's sitting in boxes in a wharehouse until November, not getting tested, not getting bugs ironed out... you'd have to pay me to take one of those units. I have never been more sure of not wanting to buy a product at launch that I am about the PS3.[/QUOTE]Yes, because they have never tested ANYTHING and are just throwing 200,000 PS3's worth of components together and hoping they work.

[quote name='TimPV3']Yes, because they have never tested ANYTHING and are just throwing 200,000 PS3's worth of components together and hoping they work.[/quote]

Thats not what I meant. No amount of in house testing can compare to the what an actual end user will put the console thru.

My point was that if the article is true, it seems silly to already have PS3's built and in the box waiting to be sold for 4+ months, when in that time period some of the issues surrounding the console could be addressed. Things like blueray laser quality/availability, and cell processor yields are all issues that are bound to improve over the next few months.

Ask yourself this: If you were to buy a PS3 on launch day, would you want it to be one thats already in the box today, or one that will be manufactured 3 months from now? I know I'd much rather have the newer model that may have addressed some of the shortcomings and concerns surrounding the product.

[quote name='Electrox3d']look, no one has started production of PS3 in final form yet. Trust me. There is still one last pre-production beta before final production, should be a fast one, but still not final yet. The article is probably talking about the other forms of production, not the final guts of the console.[/QUOTE]

ok............
what super secret inside infomation do you have access to which will allow you to deny these so called rumors?!?
ahh............
let me guess..........
you can't back it up...........
so, why are we suppose to just trust you?!?

[quote name='Puffa469']200,000 PS3's sitting in boxes in a wharehouse until November, not getting tested, not getting bugs ironed out... you'd have to pay me to take one of those units. I have never been more sure of not wanting to buy a product at launch that I am about the PS3.[/quote]

...these are electronics, not food. you dont sell it fresh off the production line. they cant produce 2 million the day before launch just so you can get a fresh one. the testing happens BEFORE you enter the final production stage. Even if lets say the failure rate is 30% (wayyyyy too high), who cares. so 60,000 units are gonna crash, sucks for them, that still leaves 120,000 units left. In reality the failure rate is gonna be more like 3% MAX. Beggers cant be choosers. Hell ill take 200,000 broken ps3s for free and sell them for parts. might have to recycle a few to make room

[quote name='Puffa469']200,000 PS3's sitting in boxes in a wharehouse until November, not getting tested, not getting bugs ironed out... you'd have to pay me to take one of those units. I have never been more sure of not wanting to buy a product at launch that I am about the PS3.[/QUOTE]

So, this is a problem for the PS3, but not the Wii?

I'm so conflicted with the PS3. I want it due to all the exclusive games, but if sales like the Overstock 360 for $307 keep happening I dont know if I'll be able to resist and wait a few years for the PS3.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm so conflicted with the PS3. I want it due to all the exclusive games, but if sales like the Overstock 360 for $307 keep happening I dont know if I'll be able to resist and wait a few years for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but then imagine an overstock deal for the ps3 !!

Youll just have to wait 6 months after launch to get one.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm so conflicted with the PS3. I want it due to all the exclusive games, but if sales like the Overstock 360 for $307 keep happening I dont know if I'll be able to resist and wait a few years for the PS3.[/quote]

keep happening? lol it happened once and it was a fluke. The 360 for 360 deal from overstock is what's reoccuring. It'd be interesting becuase the same sale would be ps3 for 540 for a ps3....and people will be like OMG its ONLY 540 on overstock...in reality theyre only saving the same 10~ percent that they would if they jumped on the 360...then 2 games and an extra conroller later they find that it actually cost 750...................fucking 80 dollar games, i can buy a gameboy/gamecube/gameman with that

[quote name='Puffa469']
Ask yourself this: If you were to buy a PS3 on launch day, would you want it to be one thats already in the box today, or one that will be manufactured 3 months from now? I know I'd much rather have the newer model that may have addressed some of the shortcomings and concerns surrounding the product.[/QUOTE]

So basically you'd prefer Sony do what Microsoft did and wait till the last minute. Frankly, three months isn't enough time to make much of a difference. The 360 has been out over 6 months and Microsoft STILL hasn't fixed their shit. I'm just waiting for my 360 to go Tits up. At least Sony has a better track record when it comes to hardware. The worst thing to happen to a PlayStation (both 1 and 2) was DREs. I'll take my DREs over a perpetually melting system any day of the week.

Of course, that assumes said system doesn't fucking cost me $600! :bomb:

[quote name='daphatty'] At least Sony has a better track record when it comes to hardware.
[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I so love Sony fans!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sony has said a lot of shit about the PS3 and none of if has lived up to expectations.

IIRC, in a podcast either ign or egm in the past couple wks, and they haven't even gotten the final development kits out.

My wife has a friend who knows a woman who has a third cousin who knows a high school janitor who knows a janitor in China who works in the plant next to the Sony manufacturing plant. Apparantely it's a sweat shop and sweat is getting into all the PS3 consoles. He warns to stay away.....which I will do

[quote name='magforce x']My wife has a friend who knows a woman who has a third cousin who knows a high school janitor who knows a janitor in China who works in the plant next to the Sony manufacturing plant. Apparantely it's a sweat shop and sweat is getting into all the PS3 consoles. He warns to stay away.....which I will do[/quote]

hey is the highschool janitor named Jerimiah cuz i think i know who ur talking about

[quote name='Buster Rod G']So, this is a problem for the PS3, but not the Wii?[/quote]

Thats exactly what I mean. This isnt a problem for the Wii, because its based on existing, perfected technology. At least the chips inside the console, I dunno about the controller. The Wii isnt bleeding edge tech, and Im willing to bet 99.9% of the Wii's produced work just fine. Nintendo has sat on systems in the past without releasing them. They had the GBA done for a few years before they released it, cos they GBC was still selling so well. Im sure the DS was the same way.

Ya cant compare the Wii to the PS3. The Wii is time tested technology in a new wrapper. The PS3 is cutting edge tech that really isnt perfected yet.

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats exactly what I mean. This isnt a problem for the Wii, because its based on existing, perfected technology. At least the chips inside the console, I dunno about the controller. The Wii isnt bleeding edge tech, and Im willing to bet 99.9% of the Wii's produced work just fine. Nintendo has sat on systems in the past without releasing them. They had the GBA done for a few years before they released it, cos they GBC was still selling so well. Im sure the DS was the same way.

Ya cant compare the Wii to the PS3. The Wii is time tested technology in a new wrapper. The PS3 is cutting edge tech that really isnt perfected yet.[/QUOTE]

I still don't see how you can complain about Sony having "200,000 units sitting in a warehouse not getting tested, not getting bugs ironed out" when Nintendo has just as many, if not more, doing the exact same thing. And whether you want to look at it as such or not, the Wii is new technology. There's a new CPU, new GPU, new circuit boards, etc. in the Wii and all of them are still unproven. Its not like Nintendo just reduced the Gamecube in size and added a new controller to make the Wii. Just because it isn't necessarily the leap forward the 360 and PS3 are in graphical prowess doesn't mean its "time-tested" and perfected. You have to remember Nintendo is also cramming all this into a package that's quite a bit smaller than what the competition is offering. I don't see the Wii as having proven itself reliable until I can test it for myself.

I'm not trying to say there won't necessarily be problems with the PS3, but its not like the PS3s being made now are going to be any different from the ones made in November and Sony is going to test all of them the same way. If Sony's already making them(or having them made by Asustek); I just don't see them revising the PS3 until at least after the system launches. Right now Sony has got to at least try and meet demand that's going to be there for their system at launch and I don't see how its such a bad thing to see them doing just that by starting production sooner.

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats exactly what I mean. This isnt a problem for the Wii, because its based on existing, perfected technology. At least the chips inside the console, I dunno about the controller. The Wii isnt bleeding edge tech, and Im willing to bet 99.9% of the Wii's produced work just fine. Nintendo has sat on systems in the past without releasing them. They had the GBA done for a few years before they released it, cos they GBC was still selling so well. Im sure the DS was the same way.

Ya cant compare the Wii to the PS3. The Wii is time tested technology in a new wrapper. The PS3 is cutting edge tech that really isnt perfected yet.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the first batch of Sony consoles always have problems whether it be overheating with the PS1s, the fucked up region coding with the PS2s, or the square button with the PSPs. The only real problem Nintendo has had with their physical hardware was just recently with the DS Lite hinge problem (and that doesn't really hinder gameplay the way a broken button would).

I could see the Wii having some hardware problems (probably with the wand), but Nintendo's first generation stuff ends up being rather reliable. With Sony, it typically takes a cycle of consoles or two for them to start putting out a reliable product.

In fairness though, I'd rather see Sony ship out a few buggy consoles then have to deal with four digit sales on Ebay again.

Ya cant compare the Wii to the PS3. The Wii is time tested technology in a new wrapper. The PS3 is cutting edge tech that really isnt perfected yet.[/quote]

Thats pretty dumb you cant compare the Wii to the PS3? Its funny how everyone does saying the wii will be the best and Wii is so much better than the PS3? Lets see they are both consoles arent they? They both play games? So why cant we compare them

[quote name='m0dem']Thats pretty dumb you cant compare the Wii to the PS3? Its funny how everyone does saying the wii will be the best and Wii is so much better than the PS3? Lets see they are both consoles arent they? They both play games? So why cant we compare them[/QUOTE]

So an SUV is the same thing as a hybrid then? Apples and pineapples are both fruit, right? A desktop computer can have the same processing power as a laptop too sometimes.

The simple fact of the matter is that while you can compare them as game systems, they're two seperate beasts. They're both taking on some relatively new technology in two completely seperate ways. Plus, there's the fact that most people seem to think the Wii will be launched in early October as opposed to late November. Two and a half months early seems to be a pretty reasonable amount of time to start production on a system that cutting edge technology is cutting edge because of how it can be used as opposed to being the most powerful thing on the market.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']So, this is a problem for the PS3, but not the Wii?[/QUOTE]

I guess no one has explained this to you:

Everything that Sony does right is either wrong or doesn't matter.

Everything MS/Nintendo do wrong doesn't matter.

Everything MS/Nintendo do right is the greatest thing ever & spells TEH DOOM for Sony.

Want a quick example? Sony is set to have full backwards compatibility for 2 generations (which is completely believable, since they had near-perfect backwards compatibility this gen & they own all their technology). It doesn't matter, no one cares. MS has partial-sorta-kinda backwards compatibility, but that's ok because the "important" titles are there (Halo 1/2) and no one plays old games anyway. Nintendo offers backwards compatibility w/ GC and will allow you to (re)buy & download their older games - some/most, no full list yet. This is the greatest thing ever and is apparently reason enough to buy the console for many.

Now MS announced SotN for Live Arcade, and that's the greatest thing ever and once again Sony is "teh doomed!", even tho it's already been announced that the PS3 will let me play my existing copy of SotN.

Y'know, honestly, I'm happy people are enjoying the 360. If you enjoy the type of games it has (like the Xbox, the focus is on shooters & sports, "western" titles) then I'm sure it's a great system. And MS has done some great things with their online network. Same with Nintendo, if you're in for Nintendo's 1st-party stuff & find the Wii appealing (I don't, but again, different strokes) then I hope you'll fully enjoy the system. But can we just have a LITTLE fucking equality when it comes to comparing features? I would include prices, but I've given up that fight long ago (people who want to argue the supposed "massive gap" between the 360 & PS3's price ignore basic math & feature lists).

[quote name='argyle']I guess no one has explained this to you:

Everything MS/Nintendo do right is the greatest thing ever & spells TEH DOOM for Sony.

Want a quick example? Sony is set to have full backwards compatibility for 2 generations (which is completely believable, since they had near-perfect backwards compatibility this gen & they own all their technology). It doesn't matter, no one cares. MS has partial-sorta-kinda backwards compatibility, but that's ok because the "important" titles are there (Halo 1/2) and no one plays old games anyway. Nintendo offers backwards compatibility w/ GC and will allow you to (re)buy & download their older games - some/most, no full list yet. This is the greatest thing ever and is apparently reason enough to buy the console for many.

Now MS announced SotN for Live Arcade, and that's the greatest thing ever and once again Sony is "teh doomed!", even tho it's already been announced that the PS3 will let me play my existing copy of SotN.

Y'know, honestly, I'm happy people are enjoying the 360. If you enjoy the type of games it has (like the Xbox, the focus is on shooters & sports, "western" titles) then I'm sure it's a great system. And MS has done some great things with their online network. Same with Nintendo, if you're in for Nintendo's 1st-party stuff & find the Wii appealing (I don't, but again, different strokes) then I hope you'll fully enjoy the system. But can we just have a LITTLE fucking equality when it comes to comparing features? I would include prices, but I've given up that fight long ago (people who want to argue the supposed "massive gap" between the 360 & PS3's price ignore basic math & feature lists).[/QUOTE]
And thats the truth.

Y'know, honestly, I'm happy people are enjoying the 360. If you enjoy the type of games it has (like the Xbox, the focus is on shooters & sports, "western" titles) then I'm sure it's a great system. And MS has done some great things with their online network. Same with Nintendo, if you're in for Nintendo's 1st-party stuff & find the Wii appealing (I don't, but again, different strokes) then I hope you'll fully enjoy the system. But can we just have a LITTLE fucking equality when it comes to comparing features? I would include prices, but I've given up that fight long ago (people who want to argue the supposed "massive gap" between the 360 & PS3's price ignore basic math & feature lists).[/quote]

You sir.... are my hero. A voice of reason in this place. Thank you.

Y'know, honestly, I'm happy people are enjoying the 360. If you enjoy the type of games it has (like the Xbox, the focus is on shooters & sports, "western" titles) then I'm sure it's a great system. And MS has done some great things with their online network. Same with Nintendo, if you're in for Nintendo's 1st-party stuff & find the Wii appealing (I don't, but again, different strokes) then I hope you'll fully enjoy the system. But can we just have a LITTLE fucking equality when it comes to comparing features? I would include prices, but I've given up that fight long ago (people who want to argue the supposed "massive gap" between the 360 & PS3's price ignore basic math & feature lists).[/quote]
Wow, someone that doesnt have their head up Nintendo and Microsofts ass.

I love when people on forums believe they know more about "when to produce" "how many to produce" then a giant corporation...

Contrary to popular belief, Sony doesn't have a sword fight to decide what they are going to do. Everyone says, "Omg they are so stupid! Stupid sony! Dont know how to market!!!" Yet they always happen to sell million upon millions of units and games...

You sir probably made the best post in this thread. Congratulations! :applause:

bread's done
Back