Sony Says dead pixels are normal

jetblac

CAGiversary!
I found this bit of information so interesting I have to put it out there.
This is taken directly from the US release - PSP users manual, page 118.

"LCD Screens are made with highly pecise technolgy, but in some cases black spots may appear, or red, blue or green spots may remain on the screen. This is not a malfunction."
It then goes on to say check page 11 for precautions yet there are no precautions refering to the protection of the LCD screen from this type of "Natural occuring" phenomenon called dead pixels.
That's like saying "fuck your broken PSP we already got paid!"

It happens in the process of making the screens. It happens from the start, and IIRC, you won't get a dead pixel after the production (i.e. after a year of owning it, you wil see dead pixels appear). Just bring the system back to the store and return it for a different one. It happened to my roomate with a ds, and the store swapped it out no problems.

I don't think it's a matter of hating Sony for saying that dead pixels are normal. I think the more important question is whether Sony will replace units with dead pixels.

Whether they're normal or not, Nintendo replaced systems with the problem. It will be interesting to see if Sony does.

lots of companies wont let you return something with dead pixels, especiall with laptops, its totally common get over it. besides sonys not that one that has to replace it, walmart or eb or gamestop is the one youre going to return it to, and theyll probably let you

[quote name='iheartmetal']lots of companies wont let you return something with dead pixels, especiall with laptops, its totally common get over it. besides sonys not that one that has to replace it, walmart or eb or gamestop is the one youre going to return it to, and theyll probably let you[/quote]

exactly. My friend dropped close to 3K for a powerbook, and there is a dead pixel in teh lower left hand corner. Apple said fuck off.

[quote name='rockhero']They ARE normal, but let's hate on Sony anyways[/quote]

No its the fact that they try to not back it up if they do occur and the consumer is not happy with it.

They mask the fact if it will or will not be covered and thats not right.

[quote name='megashock5']I don't think it's a matter of hating Sony for saying that dead pixels are normal. I think the more important question is whether Sony will replace units with dead pixels.

Whether they're normal or not, Nintendo replaced systems with the problem. It will be interesting to see if Sony does.[/quote]
I am glad you get my point

[quote name='bignick']umm, dead pixels are common. Nothing new there.[/quote]
You are being moronic. it's like you're saying "my tv blew out, but it's only normal, so I won't bother with the warranty I'll just buy a new one"

[quote name='jetblac'][quote name='bignick']umm, dead pixels are common. Nothing new there.[/quote]
You are being moronic. it's like you're saying "my tv blew out, but it's only normal, so I won't bother with the warranty I'll just buy a new one"[/quote]

They are a common defect in LCD products, some companies will replace them, some won't. If the system blew up, they'd most likely be willing to replace it, but that's a bad example. Stop acting like this is news.

There's a difference between normal and acceptable. They ARE normal, however, they are NOT acceptable.

I wouldn't be outraged to get a system with a DP, as long as the company allowed me to exchange it for a system without them (free of charge).

If PSPs have DPs, then that's fine. If Sony flips you the bird when you ask for a new one, then that's NOT alright.

[quote name='jetblac'][quote name='bignick']umm, dead pixels are common. Nothing new there.[/quote]
You are being moronic. it's like you're saying "my tv blew out, but it's only normal, so I won't bother with the warranty I'll just buy a new one"[/quote]

Not really. Its part of the manufacturing process. Thats like saying because my ABS light came on in my truck I should get a new one.

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='jetblac'][quote name='bignick']umm, dead pixels are common. Nothing new there.[/quote]

Not really. Its part of the manufacturing process. Thats like saying because my ABS light came on in my truck I should get a new one.[/quote]

Not really, seeing how it costs a few bucks to have the wires checked, but it costs more than half the price to fix the lcd screen.

Truck $40k
ds $150
Same?

[quote name='rockhero']They ARE normal, but let's hate on Sony anyways[/quote]

I HATE Sony, but this is just pathetic. They are normal, Nintendo even has said they are normal.

Unless the whole screen is messed up stop your bitching and play with the system.

[quote name='iheartmetal']lots of companies wont let you return something with dead pixels, especiall with laptops, its totally common get over it. besides sonys not that one that has to replace it, walmart or eb or gamestop is the one youre going to return it to, and theyll probably let you[/quote]

There's also 1,024,000 pixels on a normal laptop.

[quote name='postaboy']wouldn't they let you return ia laptop for a newer one with deadpixels if you bought a 3 year warrently plan with it.[/quote]

My brother's DELL Laptop and my own have a quota about how many dead pixels you need to have before they will exchange it. I think his was something like 15+ or something around there when he bought his a couple of years ago.

jetblac, have you never purchased a LCD product before? It sure sounds like it. Dead pixels are practically expected, it's no big deal.

People are really just looking for any reason to hate Sony and the PSP right now aren't they?

It reminds me of the pre-Xbox launch. Remember everyone talking about how the hard drive had no defragmenting ability so the drive would just slow down a lot and then quit working?

I have a labtop that has a "dead" pixel (not really dead, it stays on green and sometimes if you tap it, it'll change). At first it bothered me, but not really that much. However, if I got a DS or PSP with a dead pixel, it would probably annoy me to no end because the screen is so small.

they cant be THAT common are they? I've got a 17" LCD, a DS and SP, and almost everyone I know has an LCD screen, but I've never heard of this happening.

What are the occurence percentages here?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']they cant be THAT common are they? I've got a 17" LCD, a DS and SP, and almost everyone I know has an LCD screen, but I've never heard of this happening.

What are the occurence percentages here?[/quote]

No, they're not that common, but of the possible problems, it's the most common of products with an LCD screen.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']Sony to the World: "shaq-fu' yo couch".[/quote]

I don't get it?[/quote]

Prerisiquite (sp?): Chapelles Show, Season 2.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']Sony to the World: "shaq-fu' yo couch".[/quote]

I don't get it?[/quote]

Prerisiquite (sp?): Chapelles Show, Season 2.[/quote]

Ahh, from the Rick James episode?

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']Sony to the World: "shaq-fu' yo couch".[/quote]

I don't get it?[/quote]

Prerisiquite (sp?): Chapelles Show, Season 2.[/quote]

Ahh, from the Rick James episode?[/quote]

Of course!

See, you missed my point. Whether it's normal or not isn't the issue. Whether it's accepted practice across all electronics to replace the product isn't the issue. The PSP's closest competitor is the DS (no matter what Nintendo claims) and they replaced them. I'm not talking about returning them to the store, Nintendo themselves were sending people replacement units.

I'm not saying a single negative thing about Sony, and I'm not saying they have an obligation to do anything. I'm saying the competition replaced units with dead pixels. We will have to wait and see if they choose to follow or not.

[quote name='projecteightysix']Shooting cds out of the cd-drive is a perfectly normal thing to happen as well.
Happens almost twice a day with my PC.[/quote]

Between this and you pic..
thanks!

bread's done
Back