Sony to release Killzone 3 mp mode as free PSN download

http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-3-multiplayer-to-be-released-as-free-download-222629.phtml

[quote name='Destructoid']Sony has announced that the multiplayer component of Killzone 3 will go free, available on PSN as a standalone download. All the maps will be playable, but player progress will cease after they reach a certain level. So, it's like a super-demo.

If players want to continue, they can toss $14.99 Sony's way to unlock the full online experience without having to purchase the full game.

This is ... a brilliant idea. Truly. Offering a game's multiplayer component as a standalone item is actually pretty clever, and it's cool that such a broad taste will be given away for free. It ought to open the game up to a lot more players and boost its longevity, while those who enjoy it will likely have no qualms about dropping fifteen bucks once they hit their limit. Damn smart move.

Really slick stuff from Sony there. I have to doff my cap on this occasion.[/quote]

Basically the article says that the mp for KZ3 will be free to DL, but that you'll be level capped unless you pay em fifteen bones to remove it. If more companies would do this with their games AND lower the starting MSRP if they completely remove the mp functionality from it I might buy more games at launch since I rarely play the multiplayer in many of the games I own.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-3-multiplayer-to-be-released-as-free-download-222629.phtml

Basically the article says that the mp for KZ3 will be free to DL, but that you'll be level capped unless you pay em fifteen bones to remove it. If more companies would do this with their games AND lower the starting MSRP if they completely remove the mp functionality from it I might buy more games at launch since I rarely play the multiplayer in many of the games I own.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea... Modern Warefare should do that, cause I'd love to cut out the fat [single player] with that game. Plus with MW I'd like to have trophies attached to the multiplayer portion of the game. If they can just lower the MSRP for a seperated single player only game would be awesome.

This seems like a GREAT way to extend the life of a game, keep it relevant/fresh on gamers' minds, and at the same time provide a value to people who are interested in playing. I'll be looking to download when this is released.

Perfect for me. I've had Killzone 3 on two separate occasions and both times I've ended up trading/selling them here on CAG. The only thing that kept me hesitant about making those deals was the multiplayer. I played a bit of it and found it refreshing and it damn near was enough to keep me from getting rid of it.

ill try it but i wish it were 10 bucks though hopefully plus subs will get a discount. i enjoyed the demo a long while back but i dunno i could never find the motivation to buy the full game. i hope more of this happens in the future that way you could rent the game for the sp and buy the mp if you like it.

This is an ingenious idea truth be told. Allowing people to buy just the multiplayer portion of a game is a great idea and might actually increase sales. For people who don't want to buy the whole package for full price but still would like to play MP, the company would still get a sale, albeit a slightly smaller one.

The level-capped demo is also a good idea. Get a taste of the game for free and if you like it you can decide to buy it. In this age the multiplayer is probably the most important part of a new game.

At this point it's pretty easy to find a used copy of the game for under $15 so just buying the multiplayer for $15 is ridiculous. The free level-capped multiplayer is nice though, just following in the footsteps of various MMO games.

Sold both MW3 and BF3 yesterday and bought this online. Feels like a 1,000lbs has been lifted off my shoulders. Very good idea. Very good Multi................Oh, and it has a Plat, what more could you ask for?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-3-multiplayer-to-be-released-as-free-download-222629.phtml

Basically the article says that the mp for KZ3 will be free to DL, but that you'll be level capped unless you pay em fifteen bones to remove it. If more companies would do this with their games AND lower the starting MSRP if they completely remove the mp functionality from it I might buy more games at launch since I rarely play the multiplayer in many of the games I own.[/QUOTE]

I'd def go for this, and was thoroughly trashed for suggesting it here on CAG a couple years ago. I never play MP, so cutting that fat out and just paying for single player would be awesome. Maybe I could actually afford to buy a new game now and then.

Sounds great - I really did love the MP for this game. I may need to pop it back in with all the new life...

If you like kz3's multiplayer you should love kz2's which i thought was superior to all games i have played except maybe two. Kz2 had a much much better multi than kz3.

bread's done
Back