Sony's Big Annoucement - PS2 is $99

Breakpoint

CAGiversary!
Wow, I can't believe it! Riots are happeninging in the streets. Sony just released news stating the PS2 will be $99. Everyone is going to get one, or so they think!

Come on... why did Sony make so much hype for gamers to look forward to on March 31st for the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" to only be a $30 price drop on an old console? People who are going to buy one probably don't even read these blogs and weren't even targeted for the hype that was put out.

I am disappointed. If it was supposed to be big, then it should have included something with the PS3!

Well here is the Blog Post for PlayStation.Blog
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/03/31/playstation-2-will-be-available-for-under-100/http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/PSBlog/~3/JoK1cHg4zf4/

[quote name='Breakpoint']Wow, I can't believe it! Riots are happeninging in the streets. Sony just released news stating the PS2 will be $99. Everyone is going to get one, or so they think!

Come on... why did Sony make so much hype for gamers to look forward to on March 31st for the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" to only be a $30 price drop on an old console? People who are going to buy one probably don't even read these blogs and weren't even targeted for the hype that was put out.

I am disappointed. If it was supposed to be big, then it should have included something with the PS3!

Well here is the Blog Post for PlayStation.Blog
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/03/31/playstation-2-will-be-available-for-under-100/http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/PSBlog/~3/JoK1cHg4zf4/[/QUOTE]They never really said big announcement. All Sony said was they were making an announcement. Websites took that word and made it seem like a big announcement. As more sites started picking up the news, it started to lead to various speculations such as being PS3 related.

Let's just say once a GAF member revealed it was a PS2 pricecut coming and ads were proving it (ads still showed PS3 and PSP at regular price), I knew that was the announcement. Keep in mind companies make announcements all the time, whether big or small. Whoever picked up Sony was going to make an announcement, it could have been an announcement about firmware/pricecut/new game or it could have been an announcement about hiring a new person to clean windows outside the studio. An announcement is an announcement.

A lot of it comes from the following reasons (the PS2 pricecut):

-PS2 hasn't had a pricecut since early to mid 2006 (way overdue).

-In Sony's last financial report or whatever, PS3 meet their sales expectations. PS2 and PSP were each shy of 1 million units sold.

-Out of the three Sony platforms, PS2 has dropped the most by far (While PS3 has taken a dip, not that much, despite staying at the same pricetag). PS3 and PSP actually sold very well in March, in Japan.

-Sony can really only afford one pricecut for now (after all, they are having their first fiscal year loss as a company in around 14-15 years). PS3 still loses them money. PS2 and PSP gain money, but PS2 has declined sharper; therefore, PS2 gets the pricecut first.

You can't blame them for losing the PS2 sales these days. I'm just utterly impressed it made it this far against all the new-gen systems. Xbox and cube both dropped out several years ago and are pretty much free these days.

SCEA made a reply yesterday to PS3Fanboy.com that the announcement would be for PS3 they just lied.

If you are going to make an announcement and tell websites to be "ready" then it needs some good meat to it. They didn't need to send out a mass email for a PS2 price drop.... very lame

so by my calculations the ps3 will be $99 2023*. sweet!

*based off ps2 released 10/26/2000 taking 8 1/2 years and starting at $300.

and the ps5 will still be $1200, but thats only because sony buys the company that makes the roomba and integrates into the ps5, which is backward compatible with every version of the ps except 2!:bomb:

Not surprising at all... I mean if you had to bet on a pricecut a week ago, which console would you put your money on? PS2. I think a lot of the backlash is a) people allowing themselves to believe rumors and b) wanting the necessary pricecuts on the PS3. Otherwise it's hard to see a price reduction on arguably the best console as a negative...

If Sony can't cut $50 off the price by summer or the holiday season then I'll be worried/disappointed, though.

[quote name='Skv012a']You can't blame them for losing the PS2 sales these days. I'm just utterly impressed it made it this far against all the new-gen systems. Xbox and cube both dropped out several years ago and are pretty much free these days.[/quote]

That's not an accurate picture. Microsoft and Nintendo stopped production and abandoned those systems when they began pushing their new systems, Sony didn't do that.

I really want to get a PS3 but after all this time I'm not pulling the trigger until there's a price drop.

They should have done this quietly, instead of putting out a press release to indicate their announcement. How could they think people wouldn't assume it would be the PS3, and then be disappointed to find out it's not?

It amuses me when some people whine about the PS2 getting a price cut instead of PS3. What Sony did was brilliant and made perfect business sense. Cutting the price of the PS3 would make no business sense as the console is already a bargain (given its features and game library) and a price cut would not result in improved market share. PS2 under a $100 will sell much better though. The "under a $100" will resonate well with the consumers and will turn more people into Sony loyalists.

There are a lot of stubborn fools here that insist that they will not buy a PS3 until it receives a pricecut. It's like they made up their mind that a PS3 is worth a certain amount and no amount of new exclusive releases will change their mind. It's like they have a personal argument with Sony and believe that they will somehow "win" that argument (be proven "right") when they finally purchase the PS3 after the eventual price drop.

Uh... no, the PS3 sucks except for maybe it being a Blu Ray player. I said it once and I'll say it again, what they need is to get there heads out of their asses and make ALOT more games that people actually WANT. As well as get a new controller that isn't made of FAIL.

News just hit - the PS2 price cut was *not* the big announcement. The big announcement is that Little Big Planet 2 will come in two versions: "penis-free" and an M-rated "wall-to-wall penis action" editions!

bread's done
Back