Sopranos - Series Finale Discussion

Heres a spoiler written by another member of a seperate forum. It concurs with most of the pictures posted up. This is just for those dying to guess, as there are no definites till sunday at all.

The episode opens at a gas station in upstate New york a couple pull up to a pump in a red Cadillac. It is revealed to be Phil and Patty Leotardo. Phil gets out and begins to fill his tank when Benny Fazio approaches him from behind and shoots him twice in the head. Benny runs and gets into a sedan driven by Patsy Parisi and the two speed off as an african american youth onlooker throws up. We see see Tony Soprano, Paulie Walnuts, Carlo Gervasi, and Dante Greco playing cards in the safehouse from the prior episode. Tony gets a call from Benny on a payphone. He says "The Shaw's gone," and hangs up. Tony get up and motions for Paulie to follow. The two get into his Escalade after putting his AR-10 inot the backseat.

The two drive to Satriales and sit outside all the while discussing days past in Johnny Boy Sopranos heyday. Paulie is working on his tan and Tony is smoking a cigar when a black Cadillac sedan approaches. Little Carmine Lupertazzi exits the backseat while the car drives around the corner. They seat themselves across from Tony and Paulie and begin to discuss recent affairs. After many malaprosims from Carmine and some moronic rambling from Paulie Tony laughs and interjects saying he is proud to be present at the first sit down between the new bosses of New Jersey and Brooklyn. Paulie and Carmine both appear shocked and Tony tells them its long over due and Paulie has been passed up too many times. Tony leaves the two and goes inside to speak with Agent Harris. Who is seen sitting in the back corner. Harris acknowledges Carmines presence and asks if hes to take that Carmine's the new boss of Brooklynn Tony tells him to, "Take whatever the *beep* you want and take one last Veal Parm Hero on the house." We now see AJ, Carmella, and Meadow in a motel room. A knock on the door prompts Carmella to remove a .45 automatic from her purse and walk to the door and ask whos there? Meadow reading the paper and AJ watching t.v. are both scared. After a long silence a familiar voice say's "A loving father and husband." Carmella opens the door and Tony and Paulie enter they all leave and go back to Casa De Soprano. After arriving home Janice Pulls up, leaves her kids there and her and Tony leave. Leaving Paulie to guard their respective families.

The two arrive at a state hospital where they enter one at a time to
talk to their Uncle Junior. Janice goes first and the two discuss moving him out of the hospital and Tony comes in to talk with him. The two make small talk until the shooting comes up. Junior apoligizes and said he was out of his head and that he always loved Tony even when he didnt show it. Tony and Janice return home around night fall and Tony and Paulie leave again Carmella is worried and Tony tells her not to worry this is the last time he will be leaving like this. Paulie and Tony are sitting in his car at night in an empty parking lot as the snow is falling discussing Paulies promotion Tony says he will be happy to be Consigliere to Paulie. When headlights shine upon them. The two get out and walk toward a parked SUV. When Butch DeConcini and Albie Cianflone exit it and walk toward them. They discuss peace and Tony tells the that if ran under Carmine, Brooklyn could expect no porblems from them. They shake hands and Tony suggests a drink to celebrate. Tony walks back to his car and opens the backseat. Tony pulls out a large object covered in a black plastic garbage bag. Paulie runs off to the side and throws himself down and Albie and Butch pull ot pistols but are too late when the garbage bag erupts with machine gun fire. Tony helps Paulie out of the snow and the two admire the AR-10 and two dead bodies. Tony looks the gun over and admires a phrase written on the stock. "Made In America." The two then drive away. We see the Soprano home at daylight the next day Carmella is in the bathtub, Meadow is asleep, and AJ is unlocking the hidden gun closet in an indoor column. he removes something and then goes outside. We see the pool once again uncovered yet empty and AJ is sitting in the botton holding a hand grenade. He pulls the pin out and holds the handle he hesitates and throws it to the other end of the pool it blows up dirtying him. Carmella comes outside
with her .45 and nearly shoots her son. Tony arrives to see him sitting on the couch being questioned AJ says it was so cool. Tony laughs and writes it off and tells everyone to get in the car. Carmella asks where there going and Tony replies, Out for ice cream. We se a number of things in the final scene Paulie the surviving Jersey crew with Carmine and his crew having dinner together and toasting the two's promotions. Silvio's heartbeat monitor going flat. Janice in a small home with her three kids appearing miserable. Agent Harris
arresting the two muslims from the Bada Bing apparently making bombs. Pat Blundetto breaking Junior out of the state hospital.Dr. Jennifer Melfi Smiling alone in her office while reading about the recent gangland slayings and Anthony Sopranos apparent stepping down as boss. Finally we see Tony and his immediate family together at an ice cream parlor.Tony then tells his family that hes no longer depressed and that being with his family and them being safe was better than all the therapists and Prozac in the world. It just took all this *beep* to make him see it. AJ says he's happy just to be alive and that hes snapped out of it aswell. Tony proposes a toast to his family mirroring the season one finale "I Dream Of Jeannie Cusamano".

ok all i can say is bullshit complete fucking bullshit. you can say all you want about how great the show was but this ending is total crap and shit and i dunno wtf the guy was thinking doing that unless my cable fucked up or something.

What The fuck Was That?!!! Bullshit!!! :bomb:

EDIT: Thought about it a little more
maybe that is to show what its like getting shot in the head. That guy might have come out of the bathroom when Tony was watching Meadow walk in the door and he gets shot in the head and its all over in an instant

i'm trying to find a deeper meaning...
like - b/c meadow made it ok (even though we thought something bad was gonna happen) then - fin

but, why so abrupt and why set-up the guy walking to the bathroom godfather style?
hmmm... i must ponder

but right now i feel a little confused

[quote name='Maklershed']What The fuck Was That?!!! Bullshit!!! :bomb:

EDIT: Thought about it a little more
maybe that is to show what its like getting shot in the head. That guy might have come out of the bathroom when Tony was watching Meadow walk in the door and he gets shot in the head and its all over in an instant
[/quote]

that actually would make sense...but if we dont see it then it leaves it open

so i guess soprano movie rumors are true. this is so damn lame of all the ways to end this thing i coudl think of tons of them but not liek that theres no big payoff no grand exciting moment its just crap. i feel bad for everyone who traded in their 5 season sopranos dvd sets in order to get the new one coming out with all the seasons. this past season was crap but eh this is just another way hbo fucked up a reat series with a lame ending. just like with deadwood and with 6 feet under.

That was....interesting.

When you think about it, they did wrap up all the loose ends. AJ was on a path & finally seemed happy. Meadow was getting married. Paulie got bumped up the ladder. Syl was still alive. Tony was probably going to hit some legal trouble, but the lawyer seemed fairly confident they'd beat it. And of course, the Phil thing got resolved (and how!).

I honestly don't know WHAT I would have wanted for an ending, but this was better than some things I had envisioned them doing.

While the actual ending was either brilliant, if it was how Makler thinks the meaning might have been, or retarded, everything was made up for solely by
how Phil died. That was beyond awesome watching him get shot and then his SUV squish his head.

So confused right now...:bomb:
I thought my TiVo stopped recording at the part when my screen went black. I fast-forwarded, and the credits started rolling.

[quote name='shieryda']So confused right now...:bomb:
I thought my TiVo stopped recording at the part when my screen went black. I fast-forwarded, and the credits started rolling.
[/quote]

I hear that. I thought my tv fucked up and I quoted Annakin's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[quote name='karsh']While the actual ending was either brilliant, if it was how Makler thinks the meaning might have been, or retarded, everything was made up for solely by
how Phil died. That was beyond awesome watching him get shot and then his SUV squish his head.
[/QUOTE]

yeah, two things...

the kid throwing up

and "wave bye bye to grandpa!"

nice

the guy who plays Junior should win an Emmy, too

awesome scene w/him and Tony

[quote name='Maklershed']I hear that. I thought my tv fucked up and I quoted Annakin's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm sure millions of people did that in unison.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']the guy who plays Junior should win an Emmy, too

awesome scene w/him and Tony[/QUOTE]

I hear that.
Tony actually looked sad when it dawned on him that Junior really had completely lost his mind & didn't remember anything. I'm really glad they got the two of them back together for one more scene.

I gotta say, the more I sit here & think about the ending, the more I like it.

:whistle2:k
I'm not sure how I feel about that ending, The story wrapped up nice I guess. I thought nice Godfather style but just straight to black I don't know. This idea of interpret your own ending kind of pisses me off I wanted something more concrete but I'll take it. Oh well

The ending was brilliant (from D.Chase's point of view). Now they can make a movie or do another season. At worse you (the viewer) are left interpreting what happened. I've seen worse.

[quote name='kill3r7']I second that.[/QUOTE]

I third that.. I haven't watched this episode yet.. but i wanted spoilers.. heh..

deadwood was amazing.... probably the best TV show hands down last 10 years.. even better than the sopranos (should have ended with season 5 IMO it had a perfect ending) but deadwood was great.. too bad all the actors probably wanted mucho money.. I just want to see Timothy Olyphant kick someone's ass .. god he's such a great actor..

[quote name='argyle']I hear that.
Tony actually looked sad when it dawned on him that Junior really had completely lost his mind & didn't remember anything. I'm really glad they got the two of them back together for one more scene.

I gotta say, the more I sit here & think about the ending, the more I like it.[/QUOTE]

i'm still ambivalent

think i'll wait and see what the prevailing opinion is and just jump on that bandwagon so i don't have to think too much

couple of thoughts though...

i would've liked one more Hesh scene

also the final scene w/Sil even though not one word was spoken was also masterful.. somehow Van Zant acted through a coma

bravo

[quote name='kill3r7']The ending was brilliant (from D.Chase's point of view). Now they can make a movie or do another season. At worse you (the viewer) are left interpreting what happened. I've seen worse.[/QUOTE]

*cough*Seinfeld*cough*

I thought the ending to King of Queens was pretty bad.. i mean the show was kind of a "one trick pony".. (fat guy hot chick craziness ensues) but I mean it was trying to be serious towards the end.. when it should have just been funny..

[quote name='argyle']*cough*Seinfeld*cough*[/QUOTE]

Yeas... THAT was a horrid ending to such a brilliant tv series... in complete contrast to another brilliant comedy that ended the same year "The Larry Sanders Show" which had one of the best TV finales ever (and won and emmy too)

Sopranos ending pissed me off a little at first, but I cant stop thinking about it, and when people bring up the conversation between Tony and Bobby on the boat about death and the response to the question "what happens when you die?" "nothing, it just goes black"... gets me thinking a little more

[quote name='zman73']
Sopranos ending pissed me off a little at first, but I cant stop thinking about it, and when people bring up the conversation between Tony and Bobby on the boat about death and the response to the question "what happens when you die?" "nothing, it just goes black"... gets me thinking a little more[/quote]
Oh snap
I didn't even think about that, at all!
I thought the ending to King of Queens was pretty bad.. i mean the show was kind of a "one trick pony".. (fat guy hot chick craziness ensues) but I mean it was trying to be serious towards the end.. when it should have just been funny..
Well, my friend Mike's cousin is that "hot chick"...

I'm not kidding, his last name is even Remini

Someone want to post spoilers? I'm not that big on Sopranos (just got into it last year, and only watched the first season), but I would like to know how the series ended.

I loved the ending. The last scene built up so much tension it was amazing. I didn't know that I cared about these characters so much. I loved the cat freaking out Paulie, especially since he was "connected" to Christopher.

I hope they leave this story alone and NEVER make a movie or bring the series back. Phil getting his head popped was great, and I'm glad they showed Tony with Silvio one last time. AJ showed how weak he was by flipping yet again on his life plans, and his parents played off his weakness by showing him an easier fate than the military. I don't understand Meadows problems with parking her car, but it did add to the drama.

I freaking loved it, but the quick cut to black made me think I had lost my satellite signal.

The name of the episode was "Made in America" and I could probably go on more about what I think that means, but I will save you all from the boredom.

And did anyone notice Tony eating the orange in the beginning??

Yeah I thought I lost my satellite signal also.
At first I did not like the ending. But the more I think about it the more I like it. And I also agree that they should not do anything after this like a movie or whatever.

[quote name='hufferstl']I loved the ending. The last scene built up so much tension it was amazing. I didn't know that I cared about these characters so much. I loved the cat freaking out Paulie, especially since he was "connected" to Christopher.

I hope they leave this story alone and NEVER make a movie or bring the series back. Phil getting his head popped was great, and I'm glad they showed Tony with Silvio one last time. AJ showed how weak he was by flipping yet again on his life plans, and his parents played off his weakness by showing him an easier fate than the military. I don't understand Meadows problems with parking her car, but it did add to the drama.

I freaking loved it, but the quick cut to black made me think I had lost my satellite signal.

The name of the episode was "Made in America" and I could probably go on more about what I think that means, but I will save you all from the boredom.

And did anyone notice Tony eating the orange in the beginning??[/QUOTE]

It is one of the best ending in tv history IMO. The train is going to keep on rolling.

Meadow not being able to park her car was supposed to add to the tension. To make you think her family will get popped in the restaurant and she's the only one left.

To the people that say this is the worst ending. I disagree, just because 50 people didn't get shot in the head doesn't mean that its a bad ending.

[quote name='hufferstl']I loved the ending. The last scene built up so much tension it was amazing. I didn't know that I cared about these characters so much. I loved the cat freaking out Paulie, especially since he was "connected" to Christopher.

And did anyone notice Tony eating the orange in the beginning??[/QUOTE]

I'm interested to hear what you think "Made in America" meant to you. I think all it was, was Leotardo's undoing. Just like "The Blue Comet" was Bobby's downfall, the Ford which is made in America smashed Leotardo's face. Anyways that small person that yelled after Phil's face got smashed almost made me pee my pants. This series is the best thing ever, the ending was good, no movies PLEASE.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Meadow gets shot? The empty seat was next to Tony, and he was in the inside. She'd be sitting in the line of fire if the man from the bathroom came out guns blazing. If it hadn't taken her so long to park the car, he would have seen her and she wouldn't get shot.

And after all the work Tony did to keep everyone safe, someone completely uninvolved and undeserving of death would be the one killed. Of course, I'm sure the man probably wouldn't stop at her, but still, that was my 1st thought when I saw him go into the bathroom and that seat was still empty.

[quote name='johnnypark']Has anyone considered the possibility that Meadow gets shot? The empty seat was next to Tony, and he was in the inside. She'd be sitting in the line of fire if the man from the bathroom came out guns blazing. If it hadn't taken her so long to park the car, he would have seen her and she wouldn't get shot.

And after all the work Tony did to keep everyone safe, someone completely uninvolved and undeserving of death would be the one killed. Of course, I'm sure the man probably wouldn't stop at her, but still, that was my 1st thought when I saw him go into the bathroom and that seat was still empty.[/quote]

after taking a moment to reflect i still hate the ending but many of your points make sense. if meadow did get hit that could start up an amazingly violent sopranos movie as tony goes otu for revenge and i personally think pauley ( if a hit was going to happen ) was a part of it. that smug look on his face towards the end and his reluctance to take the construction business doesnt bode well. seems like he was waiting for something else ( maybe head of the nj family) because whose to say liek phils second in command pauley wasnt ready to try and take over.

with bobby dead and sil out and eaily taken care of hed be next in line and hes as greedy a prick if not more so than tony so why wouldnt he want to be in charge. not to mention his actions throughout the series ( blackmailing that guy behind tonys back, not wanting to pay carmella tonys money, the jenny sac jokes). he cant be trusted so him and that frog faced guy could have set up another plan behind the plan to get rid of both heads of the families. and theyre older ad not as inclied to violence since theyd been through times liek that before and the best way to quell the violence is to get rid of its biggest proponents.

I agree with everyone on the bring back Deadwood statement. I feel it's a travesty that *insert name of show here* is still on the air but Deadwood isnt.

If I can give ANY respect to Chase over this ending, its for this reason... with all the rumors flying around about how this show was going to end, nobody came up with this scenario... it stirred up people emotions that for sure... Im still thinking about it, hadnt rewatched it yet, but alot of the information out there about past episodes a,d people who were in the final scens besides the Sopranos, including someone credited as Nicki Leotardo (the man who went to the bathroom), have you second guessing even more, there were a couple other people in the restaraunt with some sort of ties to the series, the trucker and the black guys... Chase knew this scene would be dissected in a way few show rarely are, and seems to reward those who see it through

[quote name='shieryda']We need more spoiler tags...[/QUOTE]

That would be kinda worthless right now as that this show seems to be all that is talked about in various media outlets... very difficult to do

[quote name='zman73']including someone credited as Nicki Leotardo (the man who went to the bathroom), [/QUOTE]

I didn't pay attention to the credits, so I didn't see this. Nicki wasn't the lady at the gas station, was it? Nicki Leotardo doesn't get any results in google, so I'm wondering who played him/her.

Also, the whole guy-in-the-bathroom thing confuses me. In the Godfather, Michael had to go in the bathroom to GET the gun, if this guy was there to kill Tony, or the whole family I would think he would ALREADY have the gun and could just walk up to Tony and shoot him. I know there is no real answer, but that just stands out to me.

Again, that last scene brought so much tension it was insane. I didn't know that I liked those characters so much. I loved every second of it.

bread's done
Back